Friedman: Ottawa in on every conversation with a goalie + Toronto interested in Markstrom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Speculating on Markstrom and the obvious connection to New Jersey, but also brought up Toronto and Ottawa, who's calling on any goalie that might be available.

Also, apologies to the mods if I'm making too many threads.

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
Ottawa needs a goalie but the 4M they are paying Korpse is a limiting factor.

Personally I think a solid RD like Matt Roy and a coaching accountability will fo farther. Ottawa is a goalie graveyard for a reason. Trade Chychrun for a depth forward and picks to make space.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Roy
Brannstrom/Kleven - Bernard-Docker

Reactions: Altimus

mattyboy

What Up With That?
Jun 26, 2013
Speculating on Markstrom and the obvious connection to New Jersey, but also brought up Toronto and Ottawa, who's calling on any goalie that might be available.

Also, apologies to the mods if I'm making too many threads.
Am I missing something here?
What’s the obvious connection between Markstrom and NJ?

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
What are they paying somebody to take Koripsalo’s 4 years and $16 million remaining? Because the idea that Ottawa would pay that salary and the salary of another worthwhile veteran goalie combined moving forward is not tenable or at the very least not a wise use of resources.

Heck they still have Forsberg on contract making nearly $3 million. The Sens need to be paying more cap towards that position like I need a hole in my head.

And with the volatility of goalie performance…they might as well just hope for a rebound from Korpisalo next year as opposed to paying high level assets to remove him from the payroll.

Reactions: Icelevel

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I have to assume it's Korpisalo + pick for new goalie. Some team wanting to send a goalie out, get a fill in, and get value back.

If they are interested in Jarry from Pittsburgh, there may be something workable there. Might be as easy as Jarry for Korpi+2nd.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Am I missing something here?
What’s the obvious connection between Markstrom and NJ?
Numerous stories dating back to last season's TDL. It seems to have been resurrected as the entry draft approaches as Jersey has the #10 pick.

Usually in the stories, the writer points out that Markstrom had previously waived his NMC to facilitate a trade to NJ and speculate that he would again.

Reactions: Devilsfan118

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
What are they paying somebody to take Koripsalo’s 4 years and $16 million remaining? Because the idea that Ottawa would pay that salary and the salary of another worthwhile veteran goalie combined moving forward is not tenable or at the very least not a wise use of resources.

Heck they still have Forsberg on contract making nearly $3 million. The Sens need to be paying more cap towards that position like I need a hole in my head.

And with the volatility of goalie performance…they might as well just hope for a rebound from Korpisalo next year as opposed to paying high level assets to remove him from the payroll.
If a Markstrom trade to Ottawa, one has to presume Korpisalo would have to be sent to Calgary in return. An upgrade move by Ottawa would have to include a 1st (#25) and another roster player (or a class A prospect) I would think.

I am not sure that Calgary would want Korpisalo though so the idea of a trade with Ottawa won't have the legs that a New Jersey rumour might have. Unless the added roster or prospect is better than what Jersey might want to part with.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vincent Clortho School for wizards
Ottawa feels like it'll be tough sledding to make happen for Markstrom. I think they should be a team that tries do something with a guy like stolarz if the price isn't too big in free agency

No idea what Toronto's cap situation looks like

Last edited:

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
There is a connection between Markstrom and Travis Green. They went to the AHL final together, and Green coached Markstrom for a few years in Vancouver.

People bring up Korpisalo, but he is irrelevant to the goalie situation because he isn't going to start for Ottawa. He is a sunk cost. People wouldn't bring up Colin White's dead cap as being in any way related to Ottawa's goalie situation. It's the same type of thing.

The only difference is that Korpisalo could possibly be used as a moving part in lieu of Calgary or another team retaining on an overpaid goalie. But the point is that they need a starter regardless of what the situation is with Korpisalo.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018

Personally I think a solid RD like Matt Roy and a coaching accountability will fo farther. Ottawa is a goalie graveyard for a reason. Trade Chychrun for a depth forward and picks to make space.

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Roy
lol Brannstrom, he’s not getting QO’d.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Taking a cap dump is much more in Calgary’s MO than retaining. Korpisalo, a 1st and the 4th to 8th best prospect on the Sens.
Or get spicy. Weegar and Markstrom for the 7th and Korpisalo.

Weltschmerz

Front Running Fan
Apr 22, 2007

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Roy
Crazy how the Sens have less cap space than Toonto.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Taking a cap dump is much more in Calgary’s MO than retaining. Korpisalo, a 1st and the 4th to 8th best prospect on the Sens.
Or get spicy. Weegar and Markstrom for the 7th and Korpisalo.
That’s terrible for Calgary.

Trading our best player (Weegar), a starting goalie on a good contract and taking a 20 million dollar dump for the 7th?

Switch Weegar to Mangiapane (50%) or Pelletier and then it makes sense.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Markstrom 50% retained for 25OA + Forsberg @ 2.75M for 1 year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad