OT: Ottawa food thread!

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Went to Gyubee the other night... delicious meats, but a pain in the a$$ to cook yourself....I almost wanted to grab someone off the street and offer him a free meal if he would cook it all for us. I did not try any of the chicken as it takes much longer too cook. The veggies were cooked last as we were much more inclined to eat all the variations of meat. Anyway, will definitely go again....with a hired cook!

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
My daughter finally got to try the Crumbl cookies, the hysteria that has teenagers lined up for 4 plus hours for these cookies. She got six to bring home.

Honestly, not my typie of cookie. At all. You can still taste the sugar grains in your mouth, it was honestly gross.

Cookies by Kat destroys them in every way, if you like the stuffed cookie.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
My daughter finally got to try the Crumbl cookies, the hysteria that has teenagers lined up for 4 plus hours for these cookies. She got six to bring home.

Honestly, not my typie of cookie. At all. You can still taste the sugar grains in your mouth, it was honestly gross.

Cookies by Kat destroys them in every way, if you like the stuffed cookie.
My daughter was one of the donkeys who waited four hours to try them last Friday. Tasty but really really rich. Almost too sweet. I asked my daughter why all the histeria for Crumbl Cookies....she said "its on Tik Tok"......figures.

• Wow
Reactions: DrEasy

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
I'm a big foodie and never noticed this thread before. I'll just a list a few places I like, even though you probably know most of them already.

Places I'd drive to regardless of location within Ottawa area:
NeXt - Probably my fav restaurant overall
Fritomania - for Poutine
Run 2 Patty - for Caribbean food
Cozmos Souvlaki - for standard Greek skewers and such
Alirang - for Korean but specifically their Bibimbap
Pho 99 - for most Vietnamese food
Bowman's - for Nachos
Pizza All'Antica - The only place I'll drive kinda far for pizza
Louis Pizza - for 'Ottawa style' pizza if you're into that
Latin Table - Cute Mexican hole in the wall in Embrun
Shawarma Palace -you know why

Places I go to specifically because I live in the east end:
Lunch Box - for sandwiches
Chili Thai - for thai food
Lucky Star - for eggrolls and standard non-authentic Chinese food
Hidden taste - for Indian food

Unless I'm forgetting somewhere, that's my go-to 'local feel' restaurants I generally go to. There's some great spots elsewhere of course, but I tend to prioritize places I can park at.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Give me your Restaurant Steak favourite
I'm gonna go a little different here for steak. I went to Raphael's Peruvian on Elgin, and their Lomo Saltado, their signature Peruvian dish featuring steak, was something else. In fact, that whole cuisine is like a breath of fresh air. The guy running it is a Michelin star rated chef from Lima, Peru, and it is now in my top 3 places in this city. You have to try it

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I'm a big foodie and never noticed this thread before. I'll just a list a few places I like, even though you probably know most of them already.

Places I'd drive to regardless of location within Ottawa area:
NeXt - Probably my fav restaurant overall
Fritomania - for Poutine
Run 2 Patty - for Caribbean food
Cozmos Souvlaki - for standard Greek skewers and such
Alirang - for Korean but specifically their Bibimbap
Pho 99 - for most Vietnamese food
Bowman's - for Nachos
Pizza All'Antica - The only place I'll drive kinda far for pizza
Louis Pizza - for 'Ottawa style' pizza if you're into that
Latin Table - Cute Mexican hole in the wall in Embrun
Shawarma Palace -you know why

Places I go to specifically because I live in the east end:
Lunch Box - for sandwiches
Chili Thai - for thai food
Lucky Star - for eggrolls and standard non-authentic Chinese food
Hidden taste - for Indian food

Unless I'm forgetting somewhere, that's my go-to 'local feel' restaurants I generally go to. There's some great spots elsewhere of course, but I tend to prioritize places I can park at.

for Poutine my #1 go to in the City is "The Great Canadian Poutinerie" the locations in Orleans and Bank always hit but Vanier doesn't live up to them. I also f*** with 3 Brothers Shawarma's poutine.

I always get my poutine classic tho with Jalepenos and get them to put cracked pepper in the gravy.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
I'm gonna go a little different here for steak. I went to Raphael's Peruvian on Elgin, and their Lomo Saltado, their signature Peruvian dish featuring steak, was something else. In fact, that whole cuisine is like a breath of fresh air. The guy running it is a Michelin star rated chef from Lima, Peru, and it is now in my top 3 places in this city. You have to try it
I tried Raphael's once, before they relocated to Elgin St., and I second your recommendation. Excellent food. I need to go back!

Reactions: coladin

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
There is a difference between Michelin Star rated chef and someone who cooked at them.

mysens

Apr 9, 2013
Chik-fil-A opening at Tangers July 19!! I get reminded by my 14yr old daughter daily....cue the massive lineups there as well

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Chik-fil-A opening at Tangers July 19!! I get reminded by my 14yr old daughter daily....cue the massive lineups there as well
Chik-fil-A is not that great. In & out burger the same. I am truly surprised how people can't see through the marketing campaigns to boost their sales. When Popeye's came here the line up were nuts.

Reactions: Icelevel

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Chik-fil-A is not that great. In & out burger the same. I am truly surprised how people can't see through the marketing campaigns to boost their sales. When Popeye's came here the line up were nuts.
Have to agree. I tried both Chik-fil-A and In & Out Burger when I went to LA a couple of years ago, and didn't get what the hype was all about.

Masked

(Super/star)
Apr 16, 2017
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

While it's been a long time since I've had In & Out, I thought it was really good for a fast food chain. An elevated simplified McDonald's.

I've never been impressed with Popeye's on either side of the border. Way too salty for me.

I'm anxious to try Chik-fil-A because so many people do like them and the people who usually hate on them have never even tried their food.

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
While it's been a long time since I've had In & Out, I thought it was really good for a fast food chain. An elevated simplified McDonald's.

I've never been impressed with Popeye's on either side of the border. Way too salty for me.

I'm anxious to try Chik-fil-A because so many people do like them and the people who usually hate on them have never even tried their food.
Anytime I've went to the states I've tried all of the "staples" When I was in San Diego last year I tried in and out. It was the first meal of the plane actually because it was down the street from my cousins house. Better than McDonalds, yes, but not by much. A&W is by far better. . While there I also tried Crumbl cookies and they were fine. Couldn't understand what made them in such high demand. We went a hour before closing, 11:00pm and there was a line of at least 15 people. It was a Saturday night and the night life in San Diego just seems normal but it was surprising.

Like with any fad people are obnoxiously annoying about things.

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
That's funny, my in-laws are Peruvian and Lomo Saltado is far from a bougie dish. Peruvian food is rated as one of the top cuisines in the world pretty often, while largely flying under the radar for most people.
Try Causa or Anticucho if you ever get the chance. Pulpo Chancon is also crazy good, if that's your thing.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
That's funny, my in-laws are Peruvian and Lomo Saltado is far from a bougie dish. Peruvian food is rated as one of the top cuisines in the world pretty often, while largely flying under the radar for most people.
Try Causa or Anticucho if you ever get the chance. Pulpo Chancon is also crazy good, if that's your thing.
Bro we tried everything! We had Causa, loved it. Anticuchos? Loved them. Pachamanga? Loved it. And of course, Lomo Saltado which as you stated is not fancy (even thoough the price was 49 i think, but a good serving), was something else. We had Pisco Sours. Unbelievable. The Cochinillo, was his bday dish that his mom made when he was a child in Peru, and the pork belly was perfection

Reactions: milkbag and DrEasy

milkbag

Jul 31, 2018
Bro we tried everything! We had Causa, loved it. Anticuchos? Loved them. Pachamanga? Loved it. And of course, Lomo Saltado which as you stated is not fancy (even thoough the price was 49 i think, but a good serving), was something else. We had Pisco Sours. Unbelievable. The Cochinillo, was his bday dish that his mom made when he was a child in Peru, and the pork belly was perfection
That's awesome dude, love hearing that. You guys absolutely did it right, what a great variety. Ever since I tried Peruvian cuisine I've been spreading the good word, it's criminally underrated. Very much looking forward to visiting the country soon. I really wanna try authentic Pachamanga, straight outta the ground-- and Cuy lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad