Speculation: Ottawa can't be finished wheeling and dealing; can they?

aenesidemus

Nov 15, 2023
Is this it going into the season? Maybe its for the best - roll up the windows as you drive by the other teams tire fires.

It's such a mucky situation for so many teams right now.

Hoping for that missing piece that Ottawa can find a place for - but who?

Who would be the solo home run move/signing for Ottawa right now?

frightenedinmatenum2

Sep 30, 2023
Orange County Prison
Si! Si!

Sorry, that's my cute way of saying, yes I do not think they are done. I could see them going out and acquiring another #5 defenseman. Maybe from a team like Edmonton, who need to shed cap.

pt_mck

Jul 1, 2005
Ottawa
No GM is ever done with the roster. Having said that, they are not feverishly burning up the phones either. In Coming in Hot interview Staios said "unless an opportunity presents itself..." he is pretty much done for the summer.

They have $1.9M in cap space and I'm sure Staios is comfy with that going into the season. Need reserve for injuries and such.

I think they want to see what they have first before making any other drastic changes.

Reactions: DrEasy and barriers

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
I'm guessing a bottom pairing guy will be added early into the season at some point.

Staios has shown to be patient and I think he understands it's something that needs to be addressed, even if he hasn't come out and said it.

He spoke confidently of Korpisalo early in the summer, despite the Ullmark deal being in the works since the deadline last year. He knows what needs to be done.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think they'll wait until training camp to see how the group is coming together. I think the top 9 and top 4 are pretty much set in stone, but there are some questions that can be addressed at that point;

Is Kleven ready for full time duty on the third pair?
Is Ostapchuk ready to be a fourth line center?
Can Hamonic and JBD cut as our 3rd pair RD options?
Is MacEwen a legit 4th liner or do we need someone else?

Our internal options beyond those guys are limited. Crookshank, Jenik, Gaudette, Imama and Guenette all have some NHL experience, but none are clear cut NHL caliber callups. Halliday looks promising, but is likely top 9 or bust and needs some seasoning.

There are always a few options looking for a PTO, we'll almost certainly bring someone in for training camp to increase the competition for those final spots, and we can keep an eye out on the waiver wire, but all the key roles are filed unless you want to push Amadio to the fourth line, or think Norris won't be ready for Camp.

I don't expect anything of substance to happen.

PlayersLtd

Mar 6, 2019
I think they'll wait until training camp to see how the group is coming together. I think the top 9 and top 4 are pretty much set in stone, but there are some questions that can be addressed at that point;

Our internal options beyond those guys are limited. Crookshank, Jenik, Gaudette, Imama and Guenette all have some NHL experience, but none are clear cut NHL caliber callups. Halliday looks promising, but is likely top 9 or bust and needs some seasoning.

There are always a few options looking for a PTO, we'll almost certainly bring someone in for training camp to increase the competition for those final spots, and we can keep an eye out on the waiver wire, but all the key roles are filed unless you want to push Amadio to the fourth line, or think Norris won't be ready for Camp.

I don't expect anything of substance to happen.
Not that it matters much but he's gone.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Clutterbuck still doesn't have a contract and would be a great league min vet signing. The dude hands out hits like no tomorrow, isn't afraid to drop the gloves, and doesn't suck defensively. That's a good combo for the 4th line. Would be a slight upgrade over McEwan
I'd be happy to add him, but I wonder if he's holding out hope that NYI can make room for him. He saw his icetime plummet under Roy, so maybe the new coach isn't a fan....

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
There's no money or assets left to make an acquisition that would make a major difference.

We've squandered more picks/prospects than any team in the league the past 2 seasons and have only 1-2M in space once a spare at forward and D are added.

May add a depth player or two but the roster was pretty much finalized on July 1.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
maybe they are waiting for a waiver pickup at the start of the season.

Im not sure about the defense still

Dionysus

Oct 7, 2007
Around the bend
My thoughts as well. If an opportunity comes up, I'm sure they will look at it.

Otherwise, a PTO or two, maybe a waiver claim and then see how the team fits together to start the year.

My thoughts as well. If an opportunity comes up, I'm sure they will look at it.

Otherwise, a PTO or two, maybe a waiver claim and then see how the team fits together to start the year.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

My opinion :

1- Yes, he will look tougher and stronger to play against than Brannstrom but I hope people are not expecting big things statistically, particularly if his partner is JBD or even worse, Hamonic. That pairing would get caved in like crazy

2- Yes but, can't be worse than Chartier or Gambrell. I wish we still had Kastelic but Boston probably specifically asked for him

3- JBD I think yes, Hamonic absolutely not. He was one of the worst D-men in the NHL last season

4- Hopefully not, don't mind as the 14th forward but might as well only carry 13 and save on the cap space as we are still in cap hell

Imama signed with the Pens, thankfully (edit : ok saw someone already told you)

Halliday is one of my big hopes for this season if we want this team to improve, need a valuable forward to emerge out of nowhere

There's no money or assets left to make an acquisition that would make a major difference.

We've squandered more picks/prospects than any team in the league the past 2 seasons and have only 1-2M in space once a spare at forward and D are added.

May add a depth player or two but the roster was pretty much finalized on July 1.

Even more than this I would say!

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
Not a lot of cap space, so there might be a small move like others have suggested e.g., PTO or waiver wire. I’m not expecting more than that, so you can say we are pretty much done at this point.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
This looks pretty good to me. So much better than any Dorion lineup.
The d look almost as good. Depends on how Jensen and jbd look.
Goaltending should be solid.
If SS wants to add a bottom pair dman with experience I wouldn’t complain but other than that should be done.
A08E5097-E45E-4402-952C-FB2C20D960E3.jpeg
93B422AD-D7CA-45EF-9862-2F4DE355B2EA.jpeg

Last edited:

Stylizer1

Teflon Don
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
If SS wants to add a bottom pair dman with experience I wouldn’t complain but other than that should be done.View attachment 901184View attachment 901185
I see furniture being moved around.

The goaler is the x factor.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
If SS wants to add a bottom pair dman with experience I wouldn’t complain but other than that should be done.View attachment 901184View attachment 901185
For me Pinto is in the top 6 . Greig is 3C and Norris is moved to the wing... but the flexibility in the top 9 looks good. I'd like to see Ostapchuk up; if not right away; soon but I would not mind an experienced 4C; Would not surprise me to see a PTO or two. They have some options on the 4th line as well

Reactions: bert

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
In that lineup I see 5 new roster players, 3 new potential full time graduates, 1 player who missed most of the season with injury, and one player who missed half the season with a suspension.

Then we have our new goalie.

The x-factor is going to be how the coaching staff gets these guys to play. The talent is there to be a good team.

Reactions: Arogie

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I’d also like to see crookshank get a shot at some point. I’ll be disappointed if he doesn’t (but I’d expect him to be first call up)
And there’s gaudette etc who can fill in for forwards.

Matinpalo RD can play a few.

Depth and balance is much improved though.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Our bottom pair is atrocious, but it's nice to see a more balanced top 4 in our blue line.

Pinto coming back for 82 games and having Ullmark is enough of an upgrade to make me a bit optimistic. All the other moves might be lateral, but having more Pinto and better goaltending is a + in every situation.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00