Ottawa 67s 2024-25 Season Thread, Part I

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Really strange game today play was generally disjointed and not terribly exciting. OMG will be happy as Korbler was taken off the first line and replaced by Kelly for the last two periods. Needed to be done as he has shown nothing this year. I still have faith in Korbler but he needs a kick in the pants.Dever was flying out there our best player today imo. To my surprise him and Foster are doing fine at center...had my doubts about Foster but he's proving me and others wrong. Ekberg has a hell of a shot!

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Funny how every game is kinda the same. They're carrying play, dominating possession, creating chances...but somehow keep on finding ways not to win in 60'. They were the much better team in all four games but had to play OT twice and even lost one. They're being very generous right now...which is probably due to a lack of experience but them dominating four different teams this early in the season is still a good sign I'd say.
They dominated the fronts in the 1st period but fronts still scored 2 goals to their 3. Rest of the game was pretty even, maybe even slight edge to Kingston.

Nelson had a fairly good game though not checking sv% but he looked pretty good for a rookie

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
They dominated the fronts in the 1st period but fronts still scored 2 goals to their 3. Rest of the game was pretty even, maybe even slight edge to Kingston.

Nelson had a fairly good game though not checking sv% but he looked pretty good for a rookie
Kingston didn't have a chance, had no right to even reach OT. They were outplayed, outchanced, chasing the puck for most of the game...the 67's had their opponents chasing pucks in all four games this season. Unfortunately the 67's aren't efficient enough and they make horrible mistakes themselves. They also have a tendency to take stupid penalties though their PK is a laughing matter. They're dominating possession but keep on crippling themselves. Same story in every game.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
as a fan I cansay that Boyd blew it last year. Last yer we did not have the players tomake a push and you could see that other teams while late making it were in better condition.Boyd usedup draft picks and cards that he did ot need to. The team fiished where it would hav if he had not made the trades.

This year if he is a buyer I donot see how he can do it. first we don't have draft picks and second wse don't have the players to offer.

Looking at this team can anyone say that we coulde trade or release Mayich Gerrior or stonehouse and be a better team with what we get.Yes scoring is down but that is due to development and drafting..

We need a year or 2 near the bottom to get the better draft picks. then we can buld back to wher we were.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Kingston didn't have a chance, had no right to even reach OT. They were outplayed, outchanced, chasing the puck for most of the game...the 67's had their opponents chasing pucks in all four games this season. Unfortunately the 67's aren't efficient enough and they make horrible mistakes themselves. They also have a tendency to take stupid penalties though their PK is a laughing matter. They're dominating possession but keep on crippling themselves. Same story in every game.
What do you mean didn’t have a chance? Did you stop watching the game after the first?

There is 3 periods to watch and OT. Fronts outshot them after the first and Nelson played real well. Kingston guy got tripped up on OT and no call (probably because they already waved off 1 goal) and then Ottawa scored the winner.

As I said and I’ll say it again. It was back and forth with the exception of the first period but even after the first you were only leading by 1 goal lol.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
as a fan I cansay that Boyd blew it last year. Last yer we did not have the players tomake a push and you could see that other teams while late making it were in better condition.Boyd usedup draft picks and cards that he did ot need to. The team fiished where it would hav if he had not made the trades.

This year if he is a buyer I donot see how he can do it. first we don't have draft picks and second wse don't have the players to offer.

Looking at this team can anyone say that we coulde trade or release Mayich Gerrior or stonehouse and be a better team with what we get.Yes scoring is down but that is due to development and drafting..

We need a year or 2 near the bottom to get the better draft picks. then we can buld back to wher we were.
Can't trade Mayich. Whether the team is winning or not...he's too important and trading him can only make the team worse. Stonehouse or Gerrior I think are available for trades if a team is willing to offer either a righty goal scorer or a younger player in return.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Can't trade Mayich. Whether the team is winning or not...he's too important and trading him can only make the team worse. Stonehouse or Gerrior I think are available for trades if a team is willing to offer either a righty goal scorer or a younger player in return.
I don't see getting any players for any of our OA. They are just not game break players. Mayich may be a good player but if you are building and want youth then you have to trade thepaleyr that will being you a possible body.

Mayich may help us now but we lose him next year. The deal to me is not what this team is gong to do this year but what they are going to do for the future.

Again as to who gets traded it is ot what we as 67 fans or Boyd wants it is what the market is offering and right now it is not much.

BTW has anyone noticed the Dogs this year. I seem to reember a raccoon that said they were not going to be the easy 2 that they used to be . DAMN ITS HARD TO BE HUMBLE

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Trade Mack, Sirman,
Go with Stonehouse, Mayich, Gerrior
let Nelson show us what he has

Pinelli/Foster/Stonehouse
Gerrior/Dever/Horner
Barlas/Ekberg/Korbler
Amidovski/Whitehead/Kelly

Scratch-Houben,Yani

Mayich/Eshkawogan
Marelli/Mews
Brady/Dietsch

Nelson
Conway

Re evaluate where you are at near Christmas & either un load or buy a piece or two if you think you can make some noise

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Trade Mack, Sirman,
Go with Stonehouse, Mayich, Gerrior
let Nelson show us what he has

Pinelli/Foster/Stonehouse
Gerrior/Dever/Horner
Barlas/Ekberg/Korbler
Amidovski/Whitehead/Kelly

Scratch-Houben,Yani

Mayich/Eshkawogan
Marelli/Mews
Brady/Dietsch

Nelson
Conway

Re evaluate where you are at near Christmas & either un load or buy a piece or two if you think you can make some noise

Not bad but I really don't wanna continue with the Foster C experiment. When Dietsch and Stonehouse return I'd go with something like this:

Pinelli, Ekberg, Kelly
Foster, Dever, Körbler
Gerrior, Whitehead, Horner
Yanni, Amidovski, Stonehouse
Barlas, Houben

Mayich, Eshkawkogan
Marrelli, Mews
Dietsch, Brady

Nelson
Conway

To ease back in, Stonehouse should be fine on the 4th line. Then it's gonna depend on who's gonna get moved of Pinelli, Gerrior and Stonehouse. My guess is that not all of them are gonna finish the season with 67's, pretty much no matter how the team does. I think those three are the most likely trade candidates. I think no matter what happens this season the 67's wanna be competitive again asap so I don't foresee them making more big moves unless they get any offers they can't refuse. I think that Mayich is near untouchable and so are the 06 or younger players already playing heavy minutes. Due to his versatility, Horner is a very handy player to have as well. The same, to a lesser extent, goes for Foster and Dever as well but I guess they could be available if the offer is good. With Pinelli, it's gonna depend on team performance, really. He's most likely gonna get moved but if Boyd doesn't get a good enough offer I could see him not wanting to do that if the 67's are still doing well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think it is way too early to talk about “future” plans. Let the team play. The only decision that needs to be made soon is the one when Stonehouse gets reassigned and we need to get down to 4 OA’s. NINE teams right now with four rostered OA’s. I think the writing is on the wall for Sirman. I like the kid but the reality is the depth pool for OA’s this year league wide is vast. I cannot see a team opening a spot for him. I think he will be released.

They could still carry the four remaining OA’s through the deadline. It isn’t pretty nor clean but it is definitely doable. In that case, they would sit one of Gerrior or Stonehouse when MacKenzie plays. If MacK plays every 2nd game in a pure platoon situation with Nelson, it means that each of Stonehouse and Gerrior would sit once every four games. That isn’t horrible. If Stonehouse were to return for Nov 1, they’d each miss six games between then and the deadline. The World wouldn’t end if that needed to happen. I’d rather they be patient and find the right trade, whatever it ends up being, both for the team and the player.

I also feel we need to temper expectations at this point. The 3-1 start has been nice but Ottawa is a team that always starts rather quick because they are well prepared. They skate well and can put pressure on teams that aren’t quite in full swing yet.

Highlighting what @Hinterland has said, we have outskated out opponents so far but I am not sure we have outplayed them. We’ve managed to keep puck possession and have managed to force the play but we have gotten leaned on by the bigger players quite easily. Once those bigger teams like Kingston start to find their stride, they will be less vulnerable to Ottawa’s speed game than they are now. This is something to pay attention to as we play through October and into November.

I know I have mentioned this a lot but I see no reason to expend any more effort on Korbler’s development. He is blocking other players more deserving. The reality is we are 99% likely to roster Ekberg next season. We will get another 1st round Import Pick. We have really strong contacts in Europe that have helped fuel our success in picking players in the 1st round of that draft:
2017: Okhotyuk
2018: Rossi
2019: PASS
2020: Gaidamak
2021: Rohrer
2022: Kasper
2023: Uronen
2024: Ekberg

If we finish in that 6-8 range where we likely are destined, that would be an early Import pick. I am 95% sure we’d get a player that would be very good. This is why any effort expended in Korbler is a waste from my perspective. IMO, it would be good to select a high ceiling ‘08 in next year’s Import draft. I dont’ see a “reasonable” scenario where Korbler is a worthy player to keep under those circumstances. I think he would be a decent trade piece for a team that has a harder time nailing down Import players.

Reactions: frontsfan67

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
I think it is way too early to talk about “future” plans. Let the team play. The only decision that needs to be made soon is the one when Stonehouse gets reassigned and we need to get down to 4 OA’s. NINE teams right now with four rostered OA’s. I think the writing is on the wall for Sirman. I like the kid but the reality is the depth pool for OA’s this year league wide is vast. I cannot see a team opening a spot for him. I think he will be released.

They could still carry the four remaining OA’s through the deadline. It isn’t pretty nor clean but it is definitely doable. In that case, they would sit one of Gerrior or Stonehouse when MacKenzie plays. If MacK plays every 2nd game in a pure platoon situation with Nelson, it means that each of Stonehouse and Gerrior would sit once every four games. That isn’t horrible. If Stonehouse were to return for Nov 1, they’d each miss six games between then and the deadline. The World wouldn’t end if that needed to happen. I’d rather they be patient and find the right trade, whatever it ends up being, both for the team and the player.

I also feel we need to temper expectations at this point. The 3-1 start has been nice but Ottawa is a team that always starts rather quick because they are well prepared. They skate well and can put pressure on teams that aren’t quite in full swing yet.

Highlighting what @Hinterland has said, we have outskated out opponents so far but I am not sure we have outplayed them. We’ve managed to keep puck possession and have managed to force the play but we have gotten leaned on by the bigger players quite easily. Once those bigger teams like Kingston start to find their stride, they will be less vulnerable to Ottawa’s speed game than they are now. This is something to pay attention to as we play through October and into November.

I know I have mentioned this a lot but I see no reason to expend any more effort on Korbler’s development. He is blocking other players more deserving. The reality is we are 99% likely to roster Ekberg next season. We will get another 1st round Import Pick. We have really strong contacts in Europe that have helped fuel our success in picking players in the 1st round of that draft:
2017: Okhotyuk
2018: Rossi
2019: PASS
2020: Gaidamak
2021: Rohrer
2022: Kasper
2023: Uronen
2024: Ekberg

If we finish in that 6-8 range where we likely are destined, that would be an early Import pick. I am 95% sure we’d get a player that would be very good. This is why any effort expended in Korbler is a waste from my perspective. IMO, it would be good to select a high ceiling ‘08 in next year’s Import draft. I dont’ see a “reasonable” scenario where Korbler is a worthy player to keep under those circumstances. I think he would be a decent trade piece for a team that has a harder time nailing down Import players.
who has open import spots can you provide a list of possible trade destinations?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
who has open import spots can you provide a list of possible trade destinations?

That ship has sailed. I’m talking about the off-season.

My proposal is to shift Korbler down the lineup and pop other players up and find the right fit. It is about giving other players opportunities that Korbler currently has that hasn’t worked out. He has only produced offence vs the absolute weakest competition. Having him riding shotgun with Pinelli is no longer justifiable.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That ship has sailed. I’m talking about the off-season.

My proposal is to shift Korbler down the lineup and pop other players up and find the right fit. It is about giving other players opportunities that Korbler currently has that hasn’t worked out. He has only produced offence vs the absolute weakest competition. Having him riding shotgun with Pinelli is no longer justifiable.
I know that there is an aversion to putting Foster on the top line but I think you either need him or Horner. You need someone tht can dig in the corner as a set up man. If you look at all the top lines they had a sniper a set up guy and a digger that feeds them. Korbler is not that player. He would be better with a player like Hilton ( I realize he is gone) that is a banger and digger. Putting him with Ekberg might not be a bad thing with maybe Barlas to start the season. Ekberg and Korbler have the same Euro style maybe it meshes.

The prblem is that we are light o the right side of players that can play.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I know that there is an aversion to putting Foster on the top line but I think you either need him or Horner. You need someone tht can dig in the corner as a set up man. If you look at all the top lines they had a sniper a set up guy and a digger that feeds them. Korbler is not that player. He would be better with a player like Hilton ( I realize he is gone) that is a banger and digger. Putting him with Ekberg might not be a bad thing with maybe Barlas to start the season. Ekberg and Korbler have the same Euro style maybe it meshes.

Korbler is a left shot.

When both Stonehouse and Gerrior are in the lineup, it stretches out the wings.

Pinelli - Ekberg - Foster
Stonehouse - Dever - Horner
Amidovski - Whitehead - Gerrior
Houben/Yanni - Barlas - Kelly/Korbler

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Korbler is a left shot.

When both Stonehouse and Gerrior are in the lineup, it stretches out the wings.

Pinelli - Ekberg - Foster
Stonehouse - Dever - Horner
Amidovski - Whitehead - Gerrior
Houben/Yanni - Barlas - Kelly/Korbler
The problem is that you can not have stonehouse and gerrior on the bench in the same game unless you are benching Mayich and Sirman or Sirman and MacK

Just not enough room and then we get back to developing the young players by playing all the older players

I actually think that this lineup we have is doing quite well. They are getting lots of shots whch eventualy as they get better means more goals.

They have ot been blownout of any games so i think that if they leave things as they are and of course get rid of at least 1 OA probably 2.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The problem is that you can not have stonehouse and gerrior on the bench in the same game unless you are benching Mayich and Sirman or Sirman and MacK

Just not enough room and then we get back to developing the young players by playing all the older players

I actually think that this lineup we have is doing quite well. They are getting lots of shots whch eventualy as they get better means more goals.

They have ot been blownout of any games so i think that if they leave things as they are and of course get rid of at least 1 OA probably 2.

It is about fighting for a chance. That is all Boyd has done is given them a chance. He needs to follow this through.

By the deadline, the team will show what they are and I have faith that Boyd will make the best decision for the team. If that is trading Pinelli then so be it. But that trade opens up a spot for someone else that hopefully deserves it based on their play through the holiday break. That’s the way it should be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad