Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
Not sure where MacKenzie was tonight; Michelone in instead.
Our 4 missing boys will make a big difference when they get back from NHL camps.
Standouts tonight:
- Houben was really visible. Big guy who can skate (a bit if a little clumsy still). Now when the coaches get some video to him and teach him to finish his check *every* time he'll be good.
- Eshkawkogan has the poise and skills already. He should be good this year.

Vector Calculus

Sep 20, 2024
Our 4 missing boys will make a big difference when they get back from NHL camps.
Standouts tonight:
- Houben was really visible. Big guy who can skate (a bit if a little clumsy still). Now when the coaches get some video to him and teach him to finish his check *every* time he'll be good.
Mackenzie was at the rink. He was signing autographs for kids pregame along with Hilton and Dietsch on the football field.

While the game was sloppy, it was good to see some of the young guys. I agree that Eshkawkogan looked very good - I was surprised at how “ready” he seemed. Amidovski seemed a little tentative. Ekberg looked good at times. Horner on defence was not my favourite…much prefer him on the wing now. Lots of no-shows across the rest of the roster tonight…very forget-able. Barlas and Yanni were pretty invisible and Whitehead I mostly noticed for the wrong reasons. Korbler was almost invisible.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It's been a little while since Horner played Defence. You would have to give him a couple of games to adjust to the position.

I have a feeling that 67's are playing Michelone as a showcase so that they can either trade him or MacK.

Is Conway still in camp?

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Standouts tonight:
I have to wonder if MacK is not being played because he is either injured or they are afraid of him getting injured.

Houben is a big boy like Hilton, and it is going to take a little time. I know Hilton was not at the B camp long, but I am sure he learnt a lot.

Ekberg
Whitehead
Dever were the face off winners

I think
Ekberg is going to be 1st
Dever 2nd
Whitehead 3rd to start the year.

Flip a con but either Sirman or Mayich need to be gone early so that pairings can be set. Also i am sure the OA players will not like sitting in the stands.

Do we have enough players in camp and at the NHL to have 4 lines??

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
I have to wonder if MacK is not being played because he is either injured or they are afraid of him getting injured.

Houben is a big boy like Hilton, and it is going to take a little time. I know Hilton was not at the B camp long, but I am sure he learnt a lot.

Ekberg
Whitehead
Dever were the face off winners

I think
Ekberg is going to be 1st
Dever 2nd
Whitehead 3rd to start the year.

Flip a con but either Sirman or Mayich need to be gone early so that pairings can be set. Also i am sure the OA players will not like sitting in the stands.

Do we have enough players in camp and at the NHL to have 4 lines??
Mack & Hilton just returned back to Ottawa Thursday evening that’s why they did not play. They may not even play today they were not sure, usually players get some rest & time to reset after an NHL camp

We will look something like this on opening night would be my guess

Pinelli- Dever- Gerrior
Foster-Ekberg-Korbler
Hilton-Barlas-Kelly
Amidovski-Whitehead-Yani

Houben-Extra
Perrier- CCHL

Marelli-Mews
Mayich- Horner
Brady-Eshkawkogan

Dietsch- Injured
Barney- playing for OJS already
Sirman- traded or kept as a 4th OA

MacK
Nelson

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Mack & Hilton just returned back to Ottawa Thursday evening that’s why they did not play. They may not even play today they were not sure, usually players get some rest & time to reset after an NHL camp

We will look something like this on opening night would be my guess

Pinelli- Dever- Gerrior
Foster-Ekberg-Korbler
Hilton-Barlas-Kelly
Amidovski-Whitehead-Yani

Houben-Extra
Perrier- CCHL

Marelli-Mews
Mayich- Horner
Brady-Eshkawkogan

Dietsch- Injured
Barney- playing for OJS already
Sirman- traded or kept as a 4th OA

MacK
Nelson
If Barlas is playing Center instead of Whitehead, then it is a wasted year, and they may as well quit now. Barlas is not a center he is best as a winger and that is not saying much. Whitehead playing on the DC sit on the bench looks pretty, and shut up kid line is the dumbest move they can make. The same with Yanni If they go in this direction that tells me that they are not trying to develop players but are looking to go for it this year as a mid card contender to hell with development.

Thbis is a development year you are not gong to develop a high pick by sitting his assets ont eh bench or stands for 2 years

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
@AGranderson

Sorry to jump on you but DC and his lack of development of players is my biggest issue with this team. I would also disagree with you on Ekberg and Dever. I think Ekberg has a higher upside than Dever and has been a center longer than Dever has.

44 95 plus tax

Oct 6, 2009
It was clear last night that the 67s are in need of a capable centre. Can't throw a 17 yo import that hasn't played on smaller ice into 1st line minutes. Dever has 8 games as a centre in the OHL. Barlas is a winger. Whitehead not ready yet.

Defense looked poor last night. Eshkawkogen will be a stud once he puts on some mass.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It was clear last night that the 67s are in need of a capable centre. Can't throw a 17 yo import that hasn't played on smaller ice into 1st line minutes. Dever has 8 games as a centre in the OHL. Barlas is a winger. Whitehead not ready yet.

Defense looked poor last night. Eshkawkogen will be a stud once he puts on some mass.
I fully agree with your comments. My fear is that Boyd will go out and make a trade for a top 1st line center that DC will ride all year. Keep Ekberg on the 2nd line all year. Make Dever his third-line center and waste our draft picks from the past 2 years by sitting them on the bench, getting splinters and sore posteriors like he did last year. He spent no time developing them on ice in gameplay

This is a year for this team to develop. You can never develop players by sitting them on the fourth line for two years and giving them no minutes.

DC likes to play his older players and screw developing the young kids.

Once Mayichand Mews gets back, be prepared for Esh to get minimal minutes. He is a rookie, and according to DC, all rookies need to sit on the bench.

This team is doomed if that is the coaching GM's attitude.

Vector Calculus

Sep 20, 2024
I fully agree with your comments. My fear is that Boyd will go out and make a trade for a top 1st line center that DC will ride all year. Keep Ekberg on the 2nd line all year. Make Dever his third-line center and waste our draft picks from the past 2 years by sitting them on the bench, getting splinters and sore posteriors like he did last year. He spent no time developing them on ice in gameplay

This is a year for this team to develop. You can never develop players by sitting them on the fourth line for two years and giving them no minutes.

DC likes to play his older players and screw developing the young kids.

Once Mayichand Mews gets back, be prepared for Esh to get minimal minutes. He is a rookie, and according to DC, all rookies need to sit on the bench.

This team is doomed if that is the coaching GM's attitude.
It’s a very small sample size but Esh looked far more ready to contribute than Whitehead, Amidovski, or even some of the veterans last night…I hope he gets regular minutes all year.

NoQuit67s

Feb 10, 2020
IMO opinion, Horner demonstrated again yesterday that he is not a viable defenceman.
He is way more effective as a winger, and provides much needed toughness up front.

Hopefully he was just filling in for a short staffed defensive unit

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
I'm sure Horner as defense was just temporary. He just makes horrendous gaffes.
EshK is already more capable than Brady (offensively at least) and should get regular 3rd pairing D minutes.
I liked Ekberg last night. He seemed involved and not afraid of close quarters; but yeah we do need a cheap stop-gap reliable centre (like Lawrence last year).

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I'm sure Horner as defense was just temporary. He just makes horrendous gaffes.
EshK is already more capable than Brady (offensively at least) and should get regular 3rd pairing D minutes.
I liked Ekberg last night. He seemed involved and not afraid of close quarters; but yeah we do need a cheap stop-gap reliable centre (like Lawrence last year).
You can not expect a guy that has been a forward to step in and shine as a D in one game. That being said, I think his toughness is better suited to being a forward where he has been, or if he is going to be a d, then play the minutes in games that he needs to get his confidence back.

The problem Esh is going to have is size and getting manhandled by bigger players. Until he gets some size he is gong to have trouble clearing the net and dealing in the corners

Keyword is CHEAP and not a star someone that can fill the 1st line unti Ekberg gets used to the OHL and then is willing to move back or because it is a development year we stay withEkberg on 2nd line Whitehead on 3rd and see what happens,

It’s a very small sample size but Esh looked far more ready to contribute than Whitehead, Amidovski, or even some of the veterans last night…I hope he gets regular minutes all year.
If DC stays true to form, once everyone gets back, Esh will see limited minutes. I'm not saying it's right; I'm saying that is the DC way of coaching.

DC has already written off Whitehead and Yanni. He could care less about them, and if left alone, he will let them rot on the 4th line. Then, next year, he will whine about not having any impact players.

Personally, if I were them or their agent, I would consider going home and demanding a trade. Hell een playing in Niagara would be an improvement

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad