Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don’t see Ottawa bottoming out. I don’t disagree with the logic but it still needs to be a sellers market. For example, O don’t see them trading Gardiner for a 2nd and two 3rds under those circumstances.
They could trade gardiner for that and you could add on an extra 2nd and/or 3rd as a conditional for him coming back next year. All about maximizing value
I don’t project there to be a heavy sellers market like last year. If there is, then maybe Ottawa would try to take advantage but I think Brampton will make another couple moves before the season to fill their OA slots and then will likely pull ahead.
I think Brampton might either make 1 move now and 1 later or make 2 moves at the deadline. Doesn’t make sense for them to load up on OA’s right now before they even play a game yet. Second game of the year hypothetically what happens if misa gets hurt and now you just lost your 1C and all your OA’s are loaded up on wings and defence- then you’re going to have to trade one of the guys you just landed to trade for a new 1C while hoping misa recovers well.

Seems risky loading up right now just because you can doesn’t mean that you should

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Absolutely. Same thing with Sudbury. Neither team is getting above Brampton, Brantford, Barrie, Oshawa or Kingston. Wise thing to do would be sell what you have while it’s at a premium price. Even if it’s to a divisional rival.

Makes sense they’ll trade Pinelli obviously, and apparently mews wants out- I assume they’d save Marelli for next year and build his value first. But I wonder about if they’d think about trading foster and Gardiner, I think they could get some interest too.

After today’s trades, the wolves have the second best collection of picks in the league; and the top rated ‘08 D. See which players return and how desperate that team might be to win before writing them off.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
After today’s trades, the wolves have the second best collection of picks in the league; and the top rated ‘08 D. See which players return and how desperate that team might be to win before writing them off.

Blonda will reap a very nice deadline package if Sudbury were inclined to buy. They may be in a decent position to acquire Leenders as well.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
2/3 top scorers for sure are gone. Maybe all 3 but we will see. Then McCallum, konyen, anania, Collins, 2 of yearwood/mccoy/van vliet, mania, giroux, Vondras, all gone.

That’s a big chunk of the team and you still need goaltending. Even if you throw a rabbit in your hat and pull off some miraculous trade your team will still be far worse than last year. I know you guys keep saying about leenders but London and Brantford would have to be in on him too would they not?

Would it not make sense to trade musty if back at the deadline for picks and a good young player, and build around Villy, Walton, and Blonda? This is a crappy year to be contending in the east with so many teams going for it and this is coming from another teams fan whose team is by the sounds of it going for it.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Blonda will reap a very nice deadline package if Sudbury were inclined to buy. They may be in a decent position to acquire Leenders as well.

Maybe.
I’d consider a Campbell or DiPietro value for a couple of years of Leenders with the bulldogs picks, but not the wolves :)

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
2/3 top scorers for sure are gone. Maybe all 3 but we will see. Then McCallum, konyen, anania, Collins, 2 of yearwood/mccoy/van vliet, mania, giroux, Vondras, all gone.

That’s a big chunk of the team and you still need goaltending. Even if you throw a rabbit in your hat and pull off some miraculous trade your team will still be far worse than last year. I know you guys keep saying about leenders but London and Brantford would have to be in on him too would they not?

Would it not make sense to trade musty if back at the deadline for picks and a good young player, and build around Villy, Walton, and Blonda? This is a crappy year to be contending in the east with so many teams going for it and this is coming from another teams fan whose team is by the sounds of it going for it.

Can say a lot of the same things about Kingston, but I don’t.
The wolves really didn’t lose a thing with Mania, Collins, Konyen; they got full value. Anania hurts, a lot; more than Goyette. Goalies well, three of the conference final goalies were products of good teams imo.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The wolves really didn’t lose a thing with Mania, Collins, Konyen; they got full value. Anania hurts, a lot; more than Goyette. Goalies well, three of the conference final goalies were products of good teams imo.
Kingston just lost hemstrom, Schmidt, Dubois, Chromiak and maybe ludwinski assuming a miracle doesn’t happen but we got uronen who should be around the skill level hemstrom was at and Pieniniemi will be a much better d man than Chromiak. Then we got Goure who should be around ludwinski level to lessen the blow. Thibodeau and frasca if they leave it’s probably better for Kingston as they reportedly weren’t happy and frasca was dogging it out there some nights. We will make a few more good moves here and maybe the most underrated is getting a drafted goalie with mem cup experience. Also Hopkins, Battaglia, burns, Soto, vaccari, uens are inevitably going to have better years. Also weir should be a solid contributor on the 3rd line and McNamara our 3C just went to another NHL camp.

Much different situation then losing half your team and a chance of the whole top line- one of the best in the CHL

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I’m not saying they didn’t get fair value. I’m saying they won’t have that depth this year and they will have to use some of these picks to replace those types of players and they may not fit as well. Bottom line Sudbury is not a top contender this year.

Top tier in the east is Brampton and Brantford assuming they get Leenders or some other goalie

tier 2 is, Oshawa, Barrie, kingston

Tier 3 Sudbury, ottawa, north bay

Tier 4 Niagara, peteborough

While we’re comparing teams- there is a legit chance that both Kingston and Sudbury end up 3rd in their division.

East is stacked once again. And teams like Brampton/oshawa with the strong goaltending may be the teams to go further than the brantfords/kingstons/barrie’s

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
What’s the status of Pinelli and Mews? Off-season trades?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I’m not saying they didn’t get fair value. I’m saying they won’t have that depth this year and they will have to use some of these picks to replace those types of players and they may not fit as well. Bottom line Sudbury is not a top contender this year.

Top tier in the east is Brampton and Brantford assuming they get Leenders or some other goalie

While we’re comparing teams- there is a legit chance that both Kingston and Sudbury end up 3rd in their division.

East is stacked once again. And teams like Brampton/oshawa with the strong goaltending may be the teams to go further than the brantfords/kingstons/barrie’s

I think this is mostly accurate HOWEVER, there are a lot of stones to turn over before we can solidify this prediction. We need to see what Oshawa returns for sure. If Ritchie doesn’t return, I’m not sure they end up staying in Tier II and if Musty returns, I see Sudbury moving to Tier II. If Ottawa were to need to move Mews and they end up moving Pinelli, they could drop to Tier IV. Same with North Bay if they do a deep deadline selloff. Kingston needs a lot of demonstrated improvement from developing players. Although that would be the norm, we’ve seen stagnation and even regression from players before so if that were to happen to Kingston, they end up dropping to Tier III.

A lot of movement set to happen for sure. It may take until the deadline to fully see what happens. If a team like Brampton were to separate themselves from the field, other teams like Brantford who is set up nicely for 25-26 could bow out of the mix and focus on next year. Barrie could continue their pattern of status quo. It could be very quiet going into he trade deadline in the eastern Conference as much as it could be busy. Too much uncertainty right now.

What’s the status of Pinelli and Mews? Off-season trades?

Rumour has Mews preferring a trade, reportedly to Kingston if possible. Pinelli is an obvious deadline trade if the 67’s prove to be rebuilding. Neither may happen if Ottawa chooses to simply ignore Mews sulking…assuming he is.

• Wow
Reactions: LDN and frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I think Barrie is equal to Brampton, and Brantford is behind all of Kingston, Oshawa, Sudbury at this time.
The season doesn’t event start until two months from. Oshawa could get Wakely for all we know, then every other wannabe needs to react.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I think Barrie is equal to Brampton, and Brantford is behind all of Kingston, Oshawa, Sudbury at this time.
At this time I agree about Kingston and Oshawa. Not Sudbury though. Sudbury needs musty back. Gotta remember he had the highest ppg in the league last year. I don’t think he makes nhl before will
Smith but you never know. All depends on San Jose’s needs and I’m not super familiar with them- just know they suck.

But I think brantfords going to make a crap ton of moves. Also getting Adam jiricek I believe so that’ll be huge for them. Can potentially get leenders and Barlow as well. Brantford if they want to be that team, can be that team.
The season doesn’t event start until two months from. Oshawa could get Wakely for all we know, then every other wannabe needs to react.
Yes if wakely goes to Oshawa, and Oshawa gets Ritchie back(about 95% sure he doesn’t make Colorado lol) they’ll be in tier 1 absolutely and probably have the best 1-2 punch for centres in the league.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
If Brampton is indeed making a strategic move, it's unlikely they would trade Leenders. It's a crucial time in the season, and they'll want to ensure they have top-notch goaltending in case of injuries. The presence of Ivankovic and Leenders would certainly bolster their goaltending.

I can see Mews going here, but I don't know what Brampton has left for picks. I think at this stage Brampton has to be listed as the team to beat int eh conference for number 1

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
At this time I agree about Kingston and Oshawa. Not Sudbury though. Sudbury needs musty back. Gotta remember he had the highest ppg in the league last year. I don’t think he makes nhl before will
Smith but you never know. All depends on San Jose’s needs and I’m not super familiar with them- just know they suck.

But I think brantfords going to make a crap ton of moves. Also getting Adam jiricek I believe so that’ll be huge for them. Can potentially get leenders and Barlow as well. Brantford if they want to be that team, can be that team.

Yes if wakely goes to Oshawa, and Oshawa gets Ritchie back(about 95% sure he doesn’t make Colorado lol) they’ll be in tier 1 absolutely and probably have the best 1-2 punch for centres in the league.
There is o way Leenders will go to Brantford. That would be the dumbest trade you are not going to send him to your main competition.

Last edited:

LDN

Sep 29, 2017
Is there something to Mews brothers being united in London?

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
There is o way Leenders will go to Brantford. That would be the dumbest trade you are not going to send him to your main competition.

Both goalies in Brampton need 40 starts.

Brantford could be the main competition, but is not near it now imo.
Brampton should take the best offer regardless of the team. Leenders could go for 2(2nds), 3(3rds); that is an outrageous cost for a goalie that Brantford could do and still be among the top 3 teams in disposable picks.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
If Brampton is indeed making a strategic move, it's unlikely they would trade Leenders. It's a crucial time in the season, and they'll want to ensure they have top-notch goaltending in case of injuries. The presence of Ivankovic and Leenders would certainly bolster their goaltending.

I can see Mews going here, but I don't know what Brampton has left for picks. I think at this stage Brampton has to be listed as the team to beat int eh conference for number 1

Having Leenders and Ivankovic on the same team is a terrible management of assets. It is like having Gretzky and Messier on your team but only dressing one per game while the other sits eating popcorn in the press box.

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Having Leenders and Ivankovic on the same team is a terrible management of assets. It is like having Gretzky and Messier on your team but only dressing one per game while the other sits eating popcorn in the press box.
Or having Donoso and Mackenzie. Andreee and MDP I think a team that is going for it wants to have the best players it can at every position. Imagine if they trade Leenders and Ivankovic gets injured.

The bottom line is that Brampton, if it is going for it, will want to have the best team possible. Splitting the duties between these 2 studs can only help them achieve that.

If you manage to win the M Cup, then you stay with both. How many times have we talked about teams not doing enough to win?

You can always trade him next year and get a great return for him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Or having Donoso and Mackenzie. Andreee and MDP I think a team that is going for it wants to have the best players it can at every position. Imagine if they trade Leenders and Ivankovic gets injured.

The bottom line is that Brampton, if it is going for it, will want to have the best team possible. Splitting the duties between these 2 studs can only help them achieve that.

If you manage to win the M Cup, then you stay with both. How many times have we talked about teams not doing enough to win?

You can always trade him next year and get a great return for him.

OR like Patrick Roy and Martin Brodeur. I’m sure both Brodeur and Roy would have been more than happy to share duties?

Meanwhile, you can trade Patrick Roy for assets that can be deployed to fill other gaps.

If Brampton decides to keep both goaltenders, one of them will make the decision easy for you because they will demand a trade and walk off the team to await the trade then you get pennies on the dollar. Remember the Battochio/Guadagnolo situation? Or, maybe the Storr/Weekes situation?

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Not even for a boatload of their picks they can use on star defencemen to get even more ahead of the pack?

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
50/50 on it, guy who told me is genearlly bang on but who knows. i didnt say it was done, just out there.
The last thing I can see is them helping Brantford who should have a fairly good team. There are defencemen out there that would fit the bill. Mews, to me, would be a good fit on the RHD side of things, and I am sure a good deal could be made, BUT I still think that unless they have a bonafide OHL backup, they will keep both until the deadline. Then you may see a trade. But to do so now seems to be counterproductive.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad