Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Fully agree with the comments. The question that has to be asked though is why trade for a highly offensive rental if you want a defensive player? You trade for someone for what they bring to the team. You do not in 3 months try to change them.

As to the players, if DC wants players that play a style, then Boyd should be drafting players that play in that system or are willing to learn.

If a coach is going to waste the first-round pick for a year, then you either need to trade him or have his parents realize that he will play in the CCHL for the first year. You also need a coach who can develop players, if not as head coach, then as an assistant.

I would like to know why he has a shelf life of 4 years with any team. It seems that he is not capable of developing a program.

Does anyone know how many players he developed that went to the NHL.

Regarding Shelf life of four years, in fairness, he was two years in the Sault and then moved up to the AHL as an assistant. Then he was four years with st Mike’s where he won 8 playoff rounds and then moved up to the AHL as a head coach for three years. Then he went back to St Mike’s for four years where he won another six playoff rounds and moved to the NHL for 8 years. So, you can’t criticize a guy for “only” being in the OHL for four years twice and two years once when they are moving UP to the pro leagues.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
How can anyone not cheer for Charlie Hilton after Episode #5? Man, I want that kid to come in and kill it.

Reactions: Hinterland

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
How can anyone not cheer for Charlie Hilton after Episode #5? Man, I want that kid to come in and kill it.
People tend to forget that Hilton was a rookie last year. I am hoping that he starts to fill out and get used to his body. I can't help but think what it would be like if Houben Hilton and Bonom came out ready and able to play OHL level. Imagine parking a 215-pound Hilton or Houben in front of the net on a PP

Players going into the corner with Bonomo or him just keeping the front of the net clear with Brady as his partner.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
People tend to forget that Hilton was a rookie last year. I am hoping that he starts to fill out and get used to his body. I can't help but think what it would be like if Houben Hilton and Bonom came out ready and able to play OHL level. Imagine parking a 215-pound Hilton or Houben in front of the net on a PP

Players going into the corner with Bonomo or him just keeping the front of the net clear with Brady as his partner.

Hilton was a 17 year old rookie. They are held to a higher standard than the 16 year old rookie. It isn’t often that a 17 year old rookie that doesn’t play much ends up being a solid player at 18 but it does happen now and then.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Hilton was a 17 year old rookie. They are held to a higher standard than the 16 year old rookie. It isn’t often that a 17 year old rookie that doesn’t play much ends up being a solid player at 18 but it does happen now and then.
He said that it didn't affect his hockey but I find that hard to believe. Even if it didn't affect him mentally during games it still affected his ability to work out and practice with the team as it sounds like he spent some time away from the team. If that's the case then I think that's part of why he didn't play much. I'm sure Cameron wouldn't hold it against him but at the same time Cameron is paid to win games and it's tough to trust a rookie over other players when he's not always around the team. However, Cameron did play Hilton over both Yanni and Whitehouse in game 4 of the Oshawa series. Even though it was probably mainly to spark the team it still shows that Cameron likes Hilton.

I'm sure it affected Hilton and I hope he'll be able to bounce back. We'll see what happens.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He said that it didn't affect his hockey but I find that hard to believe. Even if it didn't affect him mentally during games it still affected his ability to work out and practice with the team as it sounds like he spent some time away from the team. If that's the case then I think that's part of why he didn't play much. I'm sure Cameron wouldn't hold it against him but at the same time Cameron is paid to win games and it's tough to trust a rookie over other players when he's not always around the team. However, Cameron did play Hilton over both Yanni and Whitehouse in game 4 of the Oshawa series. Even though it was probably mainly to spark the team it still shows that Cameron likes Hilton.

I'm sure it affected Hilton and I hope he'll be able to bounce back. We'll see what happens.

The 67’s had depth on the wings. A lot of options out there. Same this year. It doesn’t look like Hilton played Tier II at all. Looks like he was rostered the whole season with the 67’s.

Hilton put up decent numbers in his U16 season but he played U18 as a 16 year old instead of playing JrA/B. HE had some solid numbers there as well. 7 points in 32 games last year isn’t too bad to be honest. The kid has size. I hope they give him an honest shot. Et him find his way. We need a few bigger bodies out there.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
The 67’s had depth on the wings. A lot of options out there. Same this year. It doesn’t look like Hilton played Tier II at all. Looks like he was rostered the whole season with the 67’s.

Hilton put up decent numbers in his U16 season but he played U18 as a 16 year old instead of playing JrA/B. HE had some solid numbers there as well. 7 points in 32 games last year isn’t too bad to be honest. The kid has size. I hope they give him an honest shot. Et him find his way. We need a few bigger bodies out there.
Rostered with the 67's yeah...but in the video they made it sound like he wasn't always with the team, took some time off to be with his family. At least that's my interpretation. Even if he didn't miss any team meetings or skates, repeatedly travelling back and forth and the depressing situation must have been tiring. There's no way this didn't affect his hockey.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Rostered with the 67's yeah...but in the video they made it sound like he wasn't always with the team but took some time off to be with his family. At least that's my interpretation. Even if he didn't, repeatedly travelling back and forth and the depressing situation must have been tiring. There's no way this didn't affect his hockey.
Hopefully, the NHL team is going to give him an invitation to rookie camp.

I am surprised that no one on here knew anything about this.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Sounds like Ekberg is gonna commit. Boyd, Egert and Cameron appear to be doing a very good job convincing quality imports to play for the 67's. It's not easy to find strong European players actually motivated to move to NA. That's particularly true for the tougher markets they picked their latest imports from. Ekberg comes with plenty of pro experience and, being born in 07, could potentially play OHL for quite a while.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

Sounds like Ekberg is gonna commit. Boyd, Egert and Cameron appear to be doing a very good job convincing quality imports to play for the 67's. It's not easy to find strong European players actually motivated to move to NA. That's particularly true for the tougher markets they picked their latest imports from. Ekberg comes with plenty of pro experience and, being born in 07, could potentially play OHL for quite a while.
egert has very good connections

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Depending on how the deal is written, we could have him for at least two years. If he is a high draft pick and is loaned to us, he could be eligible to play in the AHL. That would not be a bad thing.

It would be nice if he played for 3 years, but was not going to hold my breath.

Now if Boyd could draft forwards in Canada like he does in Europe we would be all set LOL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Luca Pinelli invited to the Team Canada Summer Showcase Camp in Windsor this week. So, we know he is at least on the radar.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Looks like he is doing very well. If he can adjust and play centre in a top 6 role, I think it makes it very interesting. One thought would be, “what about this year?” For example, the 67’s with three solid centres (Gardiner, Elberg, and Dever) with depth on the wings and solid goaltending, they could compete admirably. BUT, if all three of those centres return, much of their wing depth returns, and Nelson turns out to be the real deal, what would next year look like if we were to move Pinelli for assets that could be used to bolster next season’s lineup? It may become a very interesting thing to watch develop.

A lot of that relies on Mews being a 67 through his full four years. But, barring that, the only thing that could get in the way is mass graduation after this season. If this team can bring back Gardiner, Foster, Dever, and/or Horner as potential OA’s to start next season, who knows what could transpire with that lineup.

I think the defence is young right now but give it another season of development with Mews, Marrelli, and Brady at 19, Dietsch at 18 with Eskakogan having a year under his belt, it could be a fun team to watch.

Foster(OA) - Gardiner(OA) - Korbler
Amidovski - Ekberg - Horner/Dever(OA)
Yanni - Whitehead - Kelly
XXX - Perrier - XXX

Marelli - Brady
Dietsch - Mews
Eshakawkogan
Bonomo

Nelson

That doesn’t look too bad. If they can maybe get a player like Dragusica from Brampton in some sort of deal involving Mayich or Stonehouse, that would help the defence as well.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well, the first shoe to drop on the conference is Brampton trading for Carter Rehkopf. Brampton gave notice to the Conference they are making a run this season. They still have two OA spots open and they will clearly fill those spots.

Anyone thinking the 67’s have any sort of reasonable shot at contending this year should sit back down and watch the show.

Reactions: frontsfan67

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Well, the first shoe to drop on the conference is Brampton trading for Carter Rehkopf. Brampton gave notice to the Conference they are making a run this season. They still have two OA spots open and they will clearly fill those spots.

Anyone thinking the 67’s have any sort of reasonable shot at contending this year should sit back down and watch the show.
Absolutely. Same thing with Sudbury. Neither team is getting above Brampton, Brantford, Barrie, Oshawa or Kingston. Wise thing to do would be sell what you have while it’s at a premium price. Even if it’s to a divisional rival.

Makes sense they’ll trade Pinelli obviously, and apparently mews wants out- I assume they’d save Marelli for next year and build his value first. But I wonder about if they’d think about trading foster and Gardiner, I think they could get some interest too.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Absolutely. Same thing with Sudbury. Neither team is getting above Brampton, Brantford, Barrie, Oshawa or Kingston. Wise thing to do would be sell what you have while it’s at a premium price. Even if it’s to a divisional rival.

Makes sense they’ll trade Pinelli obviously, and apparently mews wants out- I assume they’d save Marelli for next year and build his value first. But I wonder about if they’d think about trading foster and Gardiner, I think they could get some interest too.

Although Foster and Gardiner are NHL picks, both could return as OA’s. I doubt they would move those guys in a buyers market.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Although Foster and Gardiner are NHL picks, both could return as OA’s. I doubt they would move those guys in a buyers market.
Yes would they not just add conditionals to a trade like that on them coming back? What if gardiner makes the AHL next year and you lose out on getting anything for him? I think he has better odds of making ahl because of his speed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yes would they not just add conditionals to a trade like that on them coming back? What if gardiner makes the AHL next year and you lose out on getting anything for him? I think he has better odds of making ahl because of his speed.

The team will have a sense of whether those guys are on the radar for NHL contracts. If not then they will keep them and have them return as key contributors to next season.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
The team will have a sense of whether those guys are on the radar for NHL contracts. If not then they will keep them and have them return as key contributors to next season.
When I’m talking about trading them- I’m not talking about now- I’m talking about the deadline or around then. See how they perform up until then and make an educated guess. If they feel gardiner won’t be back for instance because he’s having a big breakout year why would they not trade him in a season where you guys aren’t going for it?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
When I’m talking about trading them- I’m not talking about now- I’m talking about the deadline or around then. See how they perform up until then and make an educated guess. If they feel gardiner won’t be back for instance because he’s having a big breakout year why would they not trade him in a season where you guys aren’t going for it?

I don’t see Ottawa bottoming out. I don’t disagree with the logic but it still needs to be a sellers market. For example, O don’t see them trading Gardiner for a 2nd and two 3rds under those circumstances.

I don’t project there to be a heavy sellers market like last year. If there is, then maybe Ottawa would try to take advantage but I think Brampton will make another couple moves before the season to fill their OA slots and then will likely pull ahead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad