Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think there are a lot of moving parts. It seems likely that Barlas will be moved. At least if you believe the rumours. If that happens, it opens the door for a 3-LW. If Pinelli moves at the deadline, then that is another LW spot opening up. Perfect. We have some young depth guys that could use extra ice.

I’m not a fan of cutting deep in trades. I am cool with dealing excess players that aren’t being used efficiently to give them a shot elsewhere and dish off a graduating player with high value so you can push assets into the future. To me, that is strong management of assets.

I think certain players have a higher value on your team than int he trade market. Gerrior is definitely one of those guys. I don’t think you’d get a 2nd round pick plus for him. You may as well keep him and throw him out there to win pucks for his linemates. If he plays with a younger player, that younger player will get the puck on his stick more because of Gerrior.

Gerrior seems more destined for CIS hockey I think. I don’t see him as a Pro. If he is scholastically inclined, I think 4 years of CIS hockey while getting an education is perfect for him.

I agree that Gerrior does not have a high trade value and can see him as an RW, which we are low on.

If players develop then I can see opening up the chance for him to play in another area at the deadline.

I lean toward Gardiner coming back healthy and making an impact so he is probably more likely to get the NHL contract but it is worth the gamble seeing if he returns. I doubt Foster gets an NHL deal. Dever is the most likely OA at this point. Maybe round them out with Horner? So, I wouldn’t move any of those four unless a deal is too sweet to pass up.

Gardiner will have to show that he can play two-way hockey at a level above the OHL or really good. Texas needs players who are not liabilities. That could be him, but again, he will have to up his game and show that he is a first line center.

Foster I agree will probably return but again you never know if he ups his game we are talking about Kyle Dumb ass and his affection for people form the Soo
So, a 2025-26 roster would look like:

Foster(OA) - Ekberg - Korbler
Amidovski - Dever(OA) - Horner(OA)
Yanni - Whitehead - Kelly
Hilton - Perrier - X

Marrelli - Mews
Dietsch - Brady
Eshkawkogan

Nelson

That isn’t all that bad without factoring in changes and more draft picks etc. It would be nice to see Bonomo develop with his size on the back end and get Vandenberg signed.
So, we will have our top pick in the 2023 season, who is in his third year, and the best is playing third-line center. If that is the case can we officially say that Boyd screwed the proverbial pooch in that draft considering that his first round did not report and he definitely missed the boat in the second round If that is the case then we should have had him playing CCHL or OJHL to get ice time and hone his skills
The problem with Barlas is he isn’t a centre. he was pushed into that role. He is a really good winger. He is head and shoulders ahead of Yanni on the wing. But, I agree. We have depth on the wings and if we can get a decent return for Barlas then we should do it, especially if it opens a spot ont he 3rd line for a younger player.
The problem with Barlas has little to do with Barlas. He again spent a year with almost no ice time after getting drafted ahead of where he should have been.

QUESTION ME THIS THOUGH

If no one will take Barlas Dever, Gardiner Foster or Kelly, what do you do? As Dirty said, there may not be a market for Barlas, just as he thinks there would not be a market for Gerrior this year.

Are we going to go through a season that does not allow any development for the young players?

We are going to see either Yanni, Whitehead and/or Amidovski look at the tea leaves and ask to go bye-bye.

The only reason for them to stay would be in the case of Amidovski and Whitehead the uni package

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree that Gerrior does not have a high trade value and can see him as an RW, which we are low on.

If players develop then I can see opening up the chance for him to play in another area at the deadline.

Gardiner will have to show that he can play two-way hockey at a level above the OHL or really good. Texas needs players who are not liabilities. That could be him, but again, he will have to up his game and show that he is a first line center.

Foster I agree will probably return but again you never know if he ups his game we are talking about Kyle Dumb ass and his affection for people form the Soo

So, we will have our top pick in the 2023 season, who is in his third year, and the best is playing third-line center. If that is the case can we officially say that Boyd screwed the proverbial pooch in that draft considering that his first round did not report and he definitely missed the boat in the second round If that is the case then we should have had him playing CCHL or OJHL to get ice time and hone his skills

The problem with Barlas has little to do with Barlas. He again spent a year with almost no ice time after getting drafted ahead of where he should have been.

QUESTION ME THIS THOUGH

If no one will take Barlas Dever, Gardiner Foster or Kelly, what do you do? As Dirty said, there may not be a market for Barlas, just as he thinks there would not be a market for Gerrior this year.

Are we going to go through a season that does not allow any development for the young players?

We are going to see either Yanni, Whitehead and/or Amidovski look at the tea leaves and ask to go bye-bye.

The only reason for them to stay would be in the case of Amidovski and Whitehead the uni package

I do not recall what I posted exactly, but I did not mean to say there would be no market for Barlas. There are probably a few good teams that could use him for 3rd line LW. He would probably have a similar return to McNamara & Outwater

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I do not recall what I posted exactly, but I did not mean to say there would be no market for Barlas. There are probably a few good teams that could use him for 3rd line LW. He would probably have a similar return to McNamara & Outwater

I think the fact Gerrior is an OA is the difference between Barlas and Gerrior on the trade market. Gerrior is clearly the more impact player but with such a plethora of OA wingers out there, I can’t see his value being higher on the trade market than his value in a 67’s jersey. He brings an element to Ottawa that they need. Barlas is wasting his time in Ottawa if he is bouncing between the 3rd and 4th line. He needs to go to a team where he can get consistent ice time as a winger. The return doesn’t really matter. An organization needs to do right by the player. You can’t just let good players rot.

This is where Beat and I pretty much agree. You need to provide a pathway as players increase in age. Boyd was terrible at managing assets two seasons ago at the deadline. The logjam last year wasn’t ideal. We cannot go into this season with the same logjam. We need to clear out some players and place trust in the development of the younger guys. If they don’t develop and contribute, then so be it. Reduce the 4th line ice time accordingly.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think the fact Gerrior is an OA is the difference between Barlas and Gerrior on the trade market. Gerrior is clearly the more impact player but with such a plethora of OA wingers out there, I can’t see his value being higher on the trade market than his value in a 67’s jersey. He brings an element to Ottawa that they need. Barlas is wasting his time in Ottawa if he is bouncing between the 3rd and 4th line. He needs to go to a team where he can get consistent ice time as a winger. The return doesn’t really matter. An organization needs to do right by the player. You can’t just let good players rot.

This is where Beat and I pretty much agree. You need to provide a pathway as players increase in age. Boyd was terrible at managing assets two seasons ago at the deadline. The logjam last year wasn’t ideal. We cannot go into this season with the same logjam. We need to clear out some players and place trust in the development of the younger guys. If they don’t develop and contribute, then so be it. Reduce the 4th line ice time accordingly.

Boyd was not alone, there are more than a few teams with extra middling ‘05s. Wannabe contenders such as Erie, Oshawa, and Sudbury that are not particularly deep and/or not flush with picks could each pick off a couple those players to round out their bottom six.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Boyd was not alone, there are more than a few teams with extra middling ‘05s. Wannabe contenders such as Erie, Oshawa, and Sudbury that are not particularly deep and/or not flush with picks could each pick off a couple those players to round out their bottom six.
There will be some deals out there for sure!

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There will be some deals out there for sure!
It's crucial to remember that we're not yet a contending team. Our focus should be on making deals for picks, not for other players. This is a team that needs to hit pause and build for the future.

The only way that young blood is going to get ice time is if you get rid of many of the senior players. This is a DC problem because he relies on them and does not want to play the rookies.

This is Boyd and Cameron's issue. It will not hurt us to have a year of being the 8th or worst team in the conference if we are developing the players we have for next year.

Do we have any confirmation of what position Ekberg likes to play? Is he LW as shown, or does he play center?

I still think we should start with Whitehead on the 3rd line as center Amidovski on the 4th line as center and fill in around them.

Give them equal playing time to the first line and see what they can do until Christmas. You can make minute changes but I think DC has to either have faith the Boyd-drafted players that can play in this league or there needs to be changes atGM and or coach

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It's crucial to remember that we're not yet a contending team. Our focus should be on making deals for picks, not for other players. This is a team that needs to hit pause and build for the future.

The only way that young blood is going to get ice time is if you get rid of many of the senior players. This is a DC problem because he relies on them and does not want to play the rookies.

This is Boyd and Cameron's issue. It will not hurt us to have a year of being the 8th or worst team in the conference if we are developing the players we have for next year.

Do we have any confirmation of what position Ekberg likes to play? Is he LW as shown, or does he play center?

I still think we should start with Whitehead on the 3rd line as center Amidovski on the 4th line as center and fill in around them.

Give them equal playing time to the first line and see what they can do until Christmas. You can make minute changes but I think DC has to either have faith the Boyd-drafted players that can play in this league or there needs to be changes atGM and or coach

A lot still needs to be figured out.

Ekberg is likely going to play centre but he needs to prove capable. Dever is likely to play centre but if Whitehead comes out hot, who knows? Whitehead could end up in the 3C spot.

We need to see what Boyd ends up doing with the OA’s. I hear they REALLY like Nelson. If he comes out hot, they could look to move McK and keep a spot for Stonehouse which would narrow the field on the wings. He could also decide instead to keep both Mayich and Sirman to maintain some veteran presence on the back end. Who knows?

They also need to figure out what they are doing with Barlas and Kelly. I think Kelly is going to come out hot this year. But, at best, Barlas is 3LW. He really deserves better and needs to be moved but if the offers aren’t great then it could take time for that ice to open up.

We all understand there are too many bodies but a lot of teams are in the same boat. That double cohort of rookies (‘04s and ‘05s) is making things tough. In many cases there isn’t a really big talent gap between the ‘04s and ‘05s. It is going to be hard to place the excess ‘04s.

So many dominos need to fall. I think we have a strong sense of the basic types of moves that need to be made but we don’t have a strong enough sense of the market and whether moving those players is as easy as normal years. My sense is that it won’t be easy to move players unless they are willing to take a bath on the return.

Last edited:
Reactions: beastintheeast

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Ekberg is likely going to play centre but he needs to prove capable. Dever is likely to play centre but if Whitehead comes out hot, who knows? Whitehead could end up in the 3C spot.

Everything I am reading says that Ekberg is LW. Elite, which puts C/LW beside players that play one position, only has him listed as LW. This being his draft season, is trying to change him to a Center a good thing? Also, if he is an LW, then what do you do? That only adds to the LW problem. Also, note he has not signed or said anything about joining the team yet.

Pinelli Gardiner Gerrior
Foster Dever Korbler
Ekberg Whitehead Horner
Barlas Amidovski Kelly
Yanni
Hilton
Houben

If he is an LW, then I think Boyd has to trade with either PInelli or Foster before the season starts.

Imagine if Hilton and Houben show up and are ready and able to play the physical game and be capable players Then BOYD is up the creek

We need to see what Boyd ends up doing with the OA’s. I hear they REALLY like Nelson. If he comes out hot, they could look to move McK and keep a spot for Stonehouse which would narrow the field on the wings. He could also decide instead to keep both Mayich and Sirman to maintain some veteran presence on the back end. Who knows?
I really do not see a space for Stonehouse on this team. I think he is going to have to be traded before the season starts with a low pick and conditional pick.

I can see Nelson starting but am more interested in Aidean Hill and Petrova. Are they capable of being the number 2 goalie?

They also need to figure out what they are doing with Barlas and Kelly. I think Kelly is going to come out hot this year. But, at best, Barlas is 3LW. He really deserves better and needs to be moved but if the offers aren’t great then it could take time for that ice to open up.

We all understand there are too many bodies but a lot of teams are in the same boat. That double cohort of rookies (‘04s and ‘05s) is making things tough. In many cases there isn’t a really big talent gap between the ‘04s and ‘05s. It is going to be hard to place the excess ‘04s.

So many dominos need to fall. I think we have a strong sense of the basic types of moves that need to be made but we don’t have a strong enough sense of the market and whether moving those players is as easy as normal years. My sense is that it won’t be easy to move players unless they are willing to take a bath on the return.
I fully agree, but I can remember trades being made that were not really optimal for Ottawa but got the player to a team that he could play and grow on in the past. Boyd is going to have to go that route. UNLESS he really goes strange and trades Pinelli and Foster opening up the left side for a lot of players to step up. (I don't see it happening BUT.....

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Everything I am reading says that Ekberg is LW. Elite, which puts C/LW beside players that play one position, only has him listed as LW. This being his draft season, is trying to change him to a Center a good thing? Also, if he is an LW, then what do you do? That only adds to the LW problem. Also, note he has not signed or said anything about joining the team yet.

Pinelli Gardiner Gerrior
Foster Dever Korbler
Ekberg Whitehead Horner
Barlas Amidovski Kelly
Yanni
Hilton
Houben

If he is an LW, then I think Boyd has to trade with either PInelli or Foster before the season starts.

Imagine if Hilton and Houben show up and are ready and able to play the physical game and be capable players Then BOYD is up the creek

I really do not see a space for Stonehouse on this team. I think he is going to have to be traded before the season starts with a low pick and conditional pick.

I can see Nelson starting but am more interested in Aidean Hill and Petrova. Are they capable of being the number 2 goalie?

I fully agree, but I can remember trades being made that were not really optimal for Ottawa but got the player to a team that he could play and grow on in the past. Boyd is going to have to go that route. UNLESS he really goes strange and trades Pinelli and Foster opening up the left side for a lot of players to step up. (I don't see it happening BUT.....

1> Ekberg will likely get an opportunity to prove he can play centre. Remember, he was a 16 year old playing with much older players in a J20 league last year. Odds of him playing centre in that league? Let’s be real. A lot of the best prospects that ran through that league as 16 year olds over recent years were marginal producers.
2> There will always be room on this roster for Stonehouse if he wants to be here and the 67’s don’t enter sell mode. Someone else will go to make room if necessary.
3> Who cares about a backup. They are dirt cheap on the trade market. Go spend a 9th round pick and get a capable backup if necessary. The quality of other rookie goalies in the 67’s pipeline will have zero impact on a trade decision.
4> Pinelli will not go until the deadline. I fully endorse the management to clear some space in small ways (however they do it), but keep all key players in place for the first half. See what happens. If they aren’t in a position to challenge (highly likely), then they sell a player or two and recoup some assets for the future. If they are really good (unlikely), they may stay status quo or if the buyer market is cheap, they add a piece. But, don’t expect Boyd to sell low on guys like Pinelli and Foster in the early stages of the season unless the player demands a trade. If space is needed, it will be guys like Barlas and Kelly that move.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
1> Ekberg will likely get an opportunity to prove he can play centre. Remember, he was a 16 year old playing with much older players in a J20 league last year. Odds of him playing centre in that league? Let’s be real. A lot of the best prospects that ran through that league as 16 year olds over recent years were marginal producers.
2> There will always be room on this roster for Stonehouse if he wants to be here and the 67’s don’t enter sell mode. Someone else will go to make room if necessary.
3> Who cares about a backup. They are dirt cheap on the trade market. Go spend a 9th round pick and get a capable backup if necessary. The quality of other rookie goalies in the 67’s pipeline will have zero impact on a trade decision.
4> Pinelli will not go until the deadline. I fully endorse the management to clear some space in small ways (however they do it), but keep all key players in place for the first half. See what happens. If they aren’t in a position to challenge (highly likely), then they sell a player or two and recoup some assets for the future. If they are really good (unlikely), they may stay status quo or if the buyer market is cheap, they add a piece. But, don’t expect Boyd to sell low on guys like Pinelli and Foster in the early stages of the season unless the player demands a trade. If space is needed, it will be guys like Barlas and Kelly that move.

I was not saying sell cheap on Pinelli, Mayich, or Foster; what I was looking at was Dever, Kelly, and Barlas. They are not going to bring great returns, no matter what.

The challenge is what do you do if Ekberg is a washout at the center.

As to back up I agree but if you remember when we got rid of Cranley it was because we had 2 good goalies in Dnoso and MacK. I think we could be the same here.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

Pinelli Gardiner Gerrior
Foster Dever Korbler
Ekberg Whitehead Horner
Barlas Amidovski Kelly
Yanni
Hilton
Houben

Source? You surely didn't read this thread because I clearly wrote that Ekberg played top6 C (shared 1/2 C with Adrian Zetterberg, Alex' brother) for the J20 team and mostly 3 RW for the Allsvenskan team. He played quite a bit of 13th forward and couple of games as LW earlier in the season when he wasn't really a regular on the Allvenskan team. He only locked down his 3 RW spot after the team lost 10-0 vs Karlskoga in mid february. Ekberg is gonna play Center in the OHL and projects as a Center at NHL level as well...especially if he can improve his skating.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was not saying sell cheap on Pinelli, Mayich, or Foster; what I was looking at was Dever, Kelly, and Barlas. They are not going to bring great returns, no matter what.

The challenge is what do you do if Ekberg is a washout at the center.

As to back up I agree but if you remember when we got rid of Cranley it was because we had 2 good goalies in Dnoso and MacK. I think we could be the same here.

I feel you are over thinking it. Boyd will move bodies. He has no choice. Once the bodies are moved, we will have a better sense for the direction of the club. But, players need to earn their ice. The players that don’t earn ice won’t get ice.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017

with storehouse being hurt they can keep him as a 4th right up to Jan and re-assess. he wouldn’t get reassigned I don’t think until he’s healthy anyways

Ottawa has a lot of good 05s and a good 04 G, why would they waive the white flag already?

Reactions: NoQuit67s

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Source? You surely didn't read this thread because I clearly wrote that Ekberg played top6 C (shared 1/2 C with Adrian Zetterberg, Alex' brother) for the J20 team and mostly 3 RW for the Allsvenskan team. He played quite a bit of 13th forward and couple of games as LW earlier in the season when he wasn't really a regular on the Allvenskan team. He only locked down his 3 RW spot after the team lost 10-0 vs Karlskoga in mid february. Ekberg is gonna play Center in the OHL and projects as a Center at NHL level as well...especially if he can improve his skating.

I am sure they want him as a center for 2nd line, possibly the top line, after he gets used to the OHL. Then Gardiner moves to the second line.

If Holton finds his legs and can use his size, putting him and Korbler with Ekberg might not be a bad thing.

As @OMG67 states, though, there are a lot of moves that have to be made before the season starts.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
with storehouse being hurt they can keep him as a 4th right up to Jan and re-assess. he wouldn’t get reassigned I don’t think until he’s healthy anyways

Ottawa has a lot of good 05s and a good 04 G, why would they waive the white flag already?

From a projection standpoint, I don’t see Ottawa having the draft capital to make big buyer moves at the deadline. It is very possible they may be able to keep pace in the early going. As we hit the deadline, teams like Brantford and Mississauga have so much draft capital that they can outspend Ottawa. Boyd isn’t the type of guy that is going to trade a 16 year old 1st at the deadline. With a naked draft currently in 2026 (missing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) plus the 3rd in 2027, Ottawa doesn’t even have a starting point for draft picks teams would really want.

This season is shaping up to be one where Boyd can recoup some assets by trading some excess ‘04s and maybe a kid like Pinelli and still be relatively competitive. If Foster and Gardiner come back next year as OA’s, we’d have a pretty good shot and being competitive. I’d rather push assets forward.

But, the team still has a chance to compete. Cameron usually has his teams prepared so I assume they will come out of the gate pretty solid. I don’t see a reason why we need to do anything other than move the excess ‘04s (Smyth and one of Sirman or Mayich) plus a kid like Barlas so we can make some room for younger kids if they prove through exhibition they are capable. Then if/when Stonehouse is set to return (assuming he is reassigned), they can take a longer look at the roster construction and decide if it is better to move a D-Man, Goalie, or Winger. See where the chips fall at the half way point.

Reactions: sirius67fan

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
From a projection standpoint, I don’t see Ottawa having the draft capital to make big buyer moves at the deadline. It is very possible they may be able to keep pace in the early going. As we hit the deadline, teams like Brantford and Mississauga have so much draft capital that they can outspend Ottawa. Boyd isn’t the type of guy that is going to trade a 16 year old 1st at the deadline. With a naked draft currently in 2026 (missing the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th) plus the 3rd in 2027, Ottawa doesn’t even have a starting point for draft picks teams would really want.

This season is shaping up to be one where Boyd can recoup some assets by trading some excess ‘04s and maybe a kid like Pinelli and still be relatively competitive. If Foster and Gardiner come back next year as OA’s, we’d have a pretty good shot and being competitive. I’d rather push assets forward.

But, the team still has a chance to compete. Cameron usually has his teams prepared so I assume they will come out of the gate pretty solid. I don’t see a reason why we need to do anything other than move the excess ‘04s (Smyth and one of Sirman or Mayich) plus a kid like Barlas so we can make some room for younger kids if they prove through exhibition they are capable. Then if/when Stonehouse is set to return (assuming he is reassigned), they can take a longer look at the roster construction and decide if it is better to move a D-Man, Goalie, or Winger. See where the chips fall at the half way point.
I don't see the 67's as a competitive team for a top spot for at least 2 years

When it comes to trades this year Boyd is going to have to make a lot.

We have Dever, Horner, Barlas, Pinelli, Gardiner, and Foster as returning 05
We also have to wonder about Kelly if he does not show more than he has.

I would keep Horner, and Foster as the OA and leave one position open

If players are developed then 2025 camp we will have

Ekberg
Whitehead
Amidovski
Perrier
as centers.

The bottom line is that Boyd is going to have to show that he can be the GM of a rebuilding team. With all the picks he traded we are now going o be hurting for a couple of years.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Can confirm this is the absolute furthest thing from the truth.
Glad to hear that...thanks🫡. I think Mews has a very high ceiling personally and I want to see him develop with the poles. I think generally people have been hard on him ( me included at times) but I think it's a product of high expectations and well he was still only 17!

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Should have been at the draft where his agent was begging other teams to make offers.
Keep on confirming though

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Should have been at the draft where his agent was begging other teams to make offers.
Keep on confirming though

The issue with Mews is he has all the tools but no tool box. The kid has a super high ceiling but him being a converted forward shows quite a bit. He has so much work to do on his defence which is likely why Cameron is hard on him. In an episode of Between Barber Poles, Cameron is in the dressing room saying something along the lines of being prepared but drive comes from within which suggests there are a few players that truly lack drive and/or may be somewhat selfish. I think Mews is one of those guys. He reminds me a lot of Brendan Bell.

I was pretty pissed when they passed on Cole Beaudoin to pick Mews. We were in huge need of a good sized centre. To pass on him for a forward converted D-Man was crazy.

If he wants out, I am fine with it to be honest. I’m not a fan. He did have a reasonably decent 2nd half and he does produce quite a bit of offence which is nice but you need to play defence as well.

Reactions: RCN83

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The issue with Mews is he has all the tools but no tool box. The kid has a super high ceiling but him being a converted forward shows quite a bit. He has so much work to do on his defence which is likely why Cameron is hard on him. In an episode of Between Barber Poles, Cameron is in the dressing room saying something along the lines of being prepared but drive comes from within which suggests there are a few players that truly lack drive and/or may be somewhat selfish. I think Mews is one of those guys. He reminds me a lot of Brendan Bell.

I was pretty pissed when they passed on Cole Beaudoin to pick Mews. We were in huge need of a good sized centre. To pass on him for a forward converted D-Man was crazy.

If he wants out, I am fine with it to be honest. I’m not a fan. He did have a reasonably decent 2nd half and he does produce quite a bit of offence which is nice but you need to play defence as well.
The issue with Mews is that he is a good all-around defenceman but not an offensive weapon or a defensive specialist. He is good but not great with the body. He needs to develop a niche for himself and improve his game. I think this year, because of the draft and yes, because of bad coaching, he tried too hard to be too many things for the team.

I would like to see him paired with Mayich or Sirman as a defensive D man and allow Mews to play an offensive game to start the year.

There are a couple of people that he should talk to and listen to in the next few weeks.

Kevin Bahl
Nikita Okitiuk
the coaches

The Bahl and Nik can tell him what he needs to do to make a difference and improve.

The Calgary coaches are going to tell him what they expect him to do.

Then it is up to DC to make sure he has the resources to learn what Calgary wants.

If DC can not give him what he needs, then he should definitely be traded before the season starts. I am sure we would get a great deal with him probably better than we would get from Pinelli.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The issue with Mews is that he is a good all-around defenceman but not an offensive weapon or a defensive specialist. He is good but not great with the body. He needs to develop a niche for himself and improve his game. I think this year, because of the draft and yes, because of bad coaching, he tried too hard to be too many things for the team.

I would like to see him paired with Mayich or Sirman as a defensive D man and allow Mews to play an offensive game to start the year.

There are a couple of people that he should talk to and listen to in the next few weeks.

Kevin Bahl
Nikita Okitiuk
the coaches

The Bahl and Nik can tell him what he needs to do to make a difference and improve.

The Calgary coaches are going to tell him what they expect him to do.

Then it is up to DC to make sure he has the resources to learn what Calgary wants.

If DC can not give him what he needs, then he should definitely be traded before the season starts. I am sure we would get a great deal with him probably better than we would get from Pinelli.

Beast, you really need to take a step back and look at statistics before posting sometimes. MEws finished 7th in D-Man scoring as a 17 year old. The kid is, if nothing else, an elite offensive weapon. If he were traded at the deadline, the return would be similar to Owen Beck when the Petes traded for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad