Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with the general gist of what you're saying, but I'm going to presume that some of those d-men you mentioned will possibly crack their NHL squads by next season. I think a few of them come off the board, particularly the three you mentioned and a spot or two for an offensive-minded d-man open up. Canada has a track record of selecting undrafted players if they fill an obvious need, are 19 years old, and have really strong track records in the CHL. Joe Hicketts, who actually made the team twice (2015 and 2016) comes to mind as a recent undrafted national team player. It probably happens less frequently now, now that the selection camps involve significantly fewer players, teams are pre-selected largely on pedigree, and its more difficult for lesser-known prospects to make the national team on the basis of strong selection camps. I certainly wouldn't place money on Marrelli making Team Canada, but it is not impossible. He has consistently made national teams for his age group (as you pointed out), so there is that.
It is not Marelli’s age group though. Bertucci and Bonk are 19 this year. Dickinson and Parekh will be the ‘06 ON defensemen getting consideration.
Your point on Pinelli's discipline (or lack thereof at times) is certainly a good one. He needs to clean that up, if not only for his chances of making Team Canada but also to benefit the 67s.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022
It is not Marelli’s age group though. Bertucci and Bonk are 19 this year. Dickinson and Parekh will be the ‘06 ON defensemen getting consideration.

I don't disagree. I don't think Mews or Marrelli come close to touching this year's national team, despite Cameron's presence. I was referring to next year (2025-26...tournament held in Dec '25 and Jan '26) that would be their year, when they're both 19-years old, but a lot has to fall in place for Mews to crack the squad, let alone Marrelli...as in, the Dickinsons and Parekhs of the world cracking their NHL squads and opening roster spots, and probably a few others.

I believe he was referring to next years Team Canada roster.

I was, yes.

Reactions: dirty12

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
WJC

Cowan and Rehkopf will be the first and second line LW

Igilna will be a high consideration as well,

The big question is what is Celbrini going to do if he goes NCAA then he will be the first line center.

Cowan Cellbrini and Sennecke would be an interesting line
Celebrini probably won’t be there. He will make the NHL. Was the runaway #1 pick the whole year here and San Jose won’t want to risk injury for another country to do well.

Sennecke should get a real good shot. He is an 06 though and if he doesn’t fit one of the roles Cameron and the rest of them see him in- then he may not make it. Usually have 2 good scoring lines and 2 good checking/2 way lines.

Sennecke may not be talented enough for the top 6 just yet especially with guys like Cowan, Rehkopf, Heidt, Catton, Mckenna, Yager, Ritchie, Barkey, martone (look at u18s), Cataford, Poirier all going for spots in the top 6 probably.

I’d like to see him on line 3 as a RW with Yager at C and barkey LW but I don’t make the team

tjziel

Nov 20, 2012
London
Curious, after seeing Brady Stonehouse for a couple years but not really looking at him intently, I just see Stonehouse as a shooting power forward despite being 5’10. How would you guys describe Stonehouse?

Does he playmake ok and how’s his defensive game?

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
Curious, after seeing Brady Stonehouse for a couple years but not really looking at him intently, I just see Stonehouse as a shooting power forward despite being 5’10. How would you guys describe Stonehouse?

Does he playmake ok and how’s his defensive game?
No defence game & no not a play making forward, scores 90% of his goals with his shot or out front garbage it’s usually nothing pretty

Reactions: tjziel and OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
No defence game & no not a play making forward, scores 90% of his goals with his shot or out front garbage it’s usually nothing pretty

He does skate well though. So he can beat guys with sneaky speed now and then.

When he is on his game, he is the type of player that plays like Brad Marchand. The opposition hates him.

Reactions: tjziel

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The first couple episodes of Between Barber Poles were released to YouTube. Pretty solid start to the season! I have to admit that the production value on that docuseries is really friggin’ good.

Reactions: NoQuit67s

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Whoever is producing that Docu-series is likely destined for a great career somewhere like Netflix producing.
I have never seen anything close to it done in JR Hockey before and a Pro team would be insane not to scoop that person or group up.

Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Whoever is producing that Docu-series is likely destined for a great career somewhere like Netflix producing.
I have never seen anything close to it done in JR Hockey before and a Pro team would be insane not to scoop that person or group up.

The production value of that series is on the same level as the TML series a couple years ago.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Some infos on Ekberg. Pretty much matches my observations I posted earlier in this thread:

33. Ottawa 67's - Filip Ekberg - Wing/Center

Ekberg is a top prospect for next year's NHL Draft; someone we gave an "A' grade to at McKeen's Hockey in our 2025 watch list. He's a bit undersized. He's not quite the dynamic skater that you'd like to see from an undersized forward. However, he's incredibly intelligent and skilled. The OHL would be an interesting place for him to develop and he'd likely be an immediate top six forward for the 67's.
Report: From McKeen's Hockey Swedish scout Felix Robbins:

"Filip Ekberg is a gifted playmaker and dynamically puck handler. He’s always looking to push the pace when he has the puck through aggressive up ice passes or by maneuvering his way past defenders through deceptive handles and fakes. He’s got a good motor, plays vigilantly off puck and makes calm, tactical decisions with the puck on his stick. His shot is quick and accurate, though he doesn’t use it much. While he’s learned to deal with the physical tempo of a men’s professional league, his lack of size is still a sticking point and hinders him from making a greater impact on play as a whole. Even still, the high-end skill, pace, and intelligence should make him a lock for a top 6 role at the junior level."

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Some infos on Ekberg. Pretty much matches my observations I posted earlier in this thread:

33. Ottawa 67's - Filip Ekberg - Wing/Center

Ekberg is a top prospect for next year's NHL Draft; someone we gave an "A' grade to at McKeen's Hockey in our 2025 watch list. He's a bit undersized. He's not quite the dynamic skater that you'd like to see from an undersized forward. However, he's incredibly intelligent and skilled. The OHL would be an interesting place for him to develop and he'd likely be an immediate top six forward for the 67's.
Report: From McKeen's Hockey Swedish scout Felix Robbins:

"Filip Ekberg is a gifted playmaker and dynamically puck handler. He’s always looking to push the pace when he has the puck through aggressive up ice passes or by maneuvering his way past defenders through deceptive handles and fakes. He’s got a good motor, plays vigilantly off puck and makes calm, tactical decisions with the puck on his stick. His shot is quick and accurate, though he doesn’t use it much. While he’s learned to deal with the physical tempo of a men’s professional league, his lack of size is still a sticking point and hinders him from making a greater impact on play as a whole. Even still, the high-end skill, pace, and intelligence should make him a lock for a top 6 role at the junior level."
I like the information, and he has the skills. I hope that he can play center. If not, we really have a problem on the left side.

Pinelli
Ekberg
Barlas
Yanni
Hilton
Gerrior
Foster
Amidovski ( if moved to get ice time)

There definitely have to be some trades made.

Looking at what we have I see a possibility that the lines look like

with Ekberg at center

Pinelli Gardiner Foster
Barlas Ekberg Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Gerrior
Hilton Amidovski Dever/Kelly

Horner moved back to D

With him not at center

Pinelli Gardiner Foster
Ekberg Barlas/Dever Korbler
Yanni Whitehead Gerrior
Hilton Amidovski Dever/Kelly

The challenge is to know who can trade Boyd. He is definitely going to have to get rid of some of these players.

If he is serious about retooling then I would suggest that

Gerrior
Barlas
Hilton
Kelly
Dever

Are all trade options? With a bag of picks from them, we can get an OA center that can fill the void.

Also, Cameron has to give Whitehead and Amidovski time to develop in games or next year; we will be really screwed.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Beast, if Elbert is a puck disher, he needs someone to dish it to which is most likely Pinelli or Foster. We don’t have a bonafide #1 centre so it looks more like we may have three light #2’s. If Ekberg were more of a shooter, I think he’d want a digger to play with so more of a Gerrior. I think this lineup is more realistic:

Pinelli - Gardiner - Korbler
Gerrior - Ekberg - Foster
Amidovski - Dever - Kelly
Yanni - Whitehead - Horner

I sense Barlas is going to be moved out, more for his own good because the depth on the wings is really not conducive for him or the team. I think they need some size on the wings so I think Amidovski will get a bigger role on the wing as opposed to centre on line #4.

Dever proved himself last season. Dumping him to a 4th line winger role sharing time with Kelly is an insult to be honest. He deserves an opportunity to lose at minimum the 3rd line centre role.

There are a few caveats. First, Whitehead could come in and bowl over the competition and force Cameron to place him in a more prominent role. They could look more at Amidovski as a centre from start to finish so they square peg that round hole and shove him to 4th centre for the season in an effort to force him to develop as a centre. Horner wasn’t a great D-Man but he has shown capable at protecting his linemates as a winger. Sliding him beside a smaller Whitehead would really help protect him and Horner is a net crusher so he could be productive as a winger with Whitehead. Kelly needs one last REAL opportunity. HE is starting to fall into the same hole as Barlas. IF he doesn’t get an opportunity now, there is no sense keeping him on the roster as a 4th liner. If he can’t play ahead of Horner, it is a real problem.

I think a lot of the 67’s players are at a crossroads. You are for sure accurate when you suggest there will be trades. But, I also don’t think they will get it all right. I think they may place trust in some of the wrong players even if it is only to give them a chance (like Kelly).

Reactions: Hinterland

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Beast, if Elbert is a puck disher, he needs someone to dish it to which is most likely Pinelli or Foster. We don’t have a bonafide #1 centre so it looks more like we may have three light #2’s. If Ekberg were more of a shooter, I think he’d want a digger to play with so more of a Gerrior. I think this lineup is more realistic:

Pinelli - Gardiner - Korbler
Gerrior - Ekberg - Foster
Amidovski - Dever - Kelly
Yanni - Whitehead - Horner

I sense Barlas is going to be moved out, more for his own good because the depth on the wings is really not conducive for him or the team. I think they need some size on the wings so I think Amidovski will get a bigger role on the wing as opposed to centre on line #4.

Dever proved himself last season. Dumping him to a 4th line winger role sharing time with Kelly is an insult to be honest. He deserves an opportunity to lose at minimum the 3rd line centre role.

There are a few caveats. First, Whitehead could come in and bowl over the competition and force Cameron to place him in a more prominent role. They could look more at Amidovski as a centre from start to finish so they square peg that round hole and shove him to 4th centre for the season in an effort to force him to develop as a centre. Horner wasn’t a great D-Man but he has shown capable at protecting his linemates as a winger. Sliding him beside a smaller Whitehead would really help protect him and Horner is a net crusher so he could be productive as a winger with Whitehead. Kelly needs one last REAL opportunity. HE is starting to fall into the same hole as Barlas. IF he doesn’t get an opportunity now, there is no sense keeping him on the roster as a 4th liner. If he can’t play ahead of Horner, it is a real problem.

I think a lot of the 67’s players are at a crossroads. You are for sure accurate when you suggest there will be trades. But, I also don’t think they will get it all right. I think they may place trust in some of the wrong players even if it is only to give them a chance (like Kelly).
OMG You know my thoughts on Whitehead. Asking him to play 5 minutes at best a game is a slap in the face and kills his ability to grow. He might as well go play in the CCHL or the OJHL.

It's the same with Horner. As you said, he proved himself last year, and now he is going to sit and play 5 minutes a game at most. Could you put him on defense at least? Then, even if he is on the third pair, he will get more minutes.

Amidovski and Yanni, Man, are you giving Yanni the shaft? Here is a kid who played well when called up and did everything he was asked of, and you reward him again with 5 minutes at most a period and take an unproven rookie and say he is better.

Boyd has to dump a lot of players. If Ekberg is a center, then fine, but I still think you have to look at this team development.

Next year

Gardiner
Horner
dever
Barlas
Pinieli
Foster

There are too many players. Personally, I think that if you are rebuilding, you should trade at least three of these guys, and if Kelly does not improve early, trade him also.

Boyd has to make the decision early if this is going to be a team that he tries to win the league or if he finally admits it is time to hit pause on championships and retool.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG You know my thoughts on Whitehead. Asking him to play 5 minutes at best a game is a slap in the face and kills his ability to grow. He might as well go play in the CCHL or the OJHL.

It's the same with Horner. As you said, he proved himself last year, and now he is going to sit and play 5 minutes a game at most. Could you put him on defense at least? Then, even if he is on the third pair, he will get more minutes.

Amidovski and Yanni, Man, are you giving Yanni the shaft? Here is a kid who played well when called up and did everything he was asked of, and you reward him again with 5 minutes at most a period and take an unproven rookie and say he is better.

Boyd has to dump a lot of players. If Ekberg is a center, then fine, but I still think you have to look at this team development.

Next year

Gardiner
Horner
dever
Barlas
Pinieli
Foster

There are too many players. Personally, I think that if you are rebuilding, you should trade at least three of these guys, and if Kelly does not improve early, trade him also.

Boyd has to make the decision early if this is going to be a team that he tries to win the league or if he finally admits it is time to hit pause on championships and retool.

The reality is there are a lot of difficult decisions that need to be made.

That said, players need to earn their ice. Neither of Yanni or Whitehead has earned their ice time. I am fully behind you with respect to giving ice to them with the caveat that they earned it and deserve it more than others who have already proven capable. Of that means trades need to happen to open that ice then great. It is better to have difficult decisions.

Also, if you have a capable 4th line, they roll out on a regular shift at 5 on 5. They don’t get special teams. That gives them more like 10-12 minutes per game. Keep in mind we won’t likely have a line that gets rolled out there every second shift so I don’t think ice time is an issue for the 4th line this year.

Personally, I wouldn’t have Korbler on either of the top 2 lines. But, I think Cameron will have him on the top line. He likes him.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

That said, players need to earn their ice. Neither of Yanni or Whitehead has earned their ice time. I am fully behind you with respect to giving ice to them with the caveat that they earned it and deserve it more than others who have already proven capable. Of that means trades need to happen to open that ice then great. It is better to have difficult decisions.

Also, if you have a capable 4th line, they roll out on a regular shift at 5 on 5. They don’t get special teams. That gives them more like 10-12 minutes per game. Keep in mind we won’t likely have a line that gets rolled out there every second shift so I don’t think ice time is an issue for the 4th line this year.

Personally, I wouldn’t have Korbler on either of the top 2 lines. But, I think Cameron will have him on the top line. He likes him.

What more Chase Yanni could have done to earn ice time? Scored 4 points in his first 10 OHL games, then was fantastic with limited ice time during playoffs as well. The 4th line was very good with him in the lineup but it instantly became a liability once he got scratched. I never understood why Cameron insisted on playing injured vets over Yanni when the 4th line had actually been effective with Yanni previously. There would have been an easy fix for the 4th line but somehow Cameron was too stubborn to revert back to what actually worked nicely.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

I agree with everything except the minutes that fourth-line players get. DC has shown that he could care less about the fourth line and ignores them.

He is not interested in developing rookies. To him, they are just things that he has to put up with. If the league said you could just dress 3 lines I think he would be happier.

I hope I am wrong but last year showed that he had no desire to develop players Whitehead would ahve been better in the CCHL or OJHL for the lack of development he got last year.

If Whiteheead and Yanni are not at least 3rd line players this year, then Boyd needs to find someone else to draft forwards, as his choices have not developed the way they should have.

Trade Whitehead to London and watch how much he develops this year.

My worry is that agents will look at Barlas, Whitehead, Yanni, possibly Amidovski and all the other forwards and tell Boyd to take a hike and not even look at my players when you draft.

As I have said good players have options now.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
What more Chase Yanni could have done to earn ice time? Scored 4 points in his first 10 OHL games, then was fantastic with limited ice time during playoffs as well. The 4th line was very good with him in the lineup but it instantly became a liability once he got scratched. I never understood why Cameron insisted on playing injured vets over Yanni when the 4th line was actually effective with Yanni beforehand. There would have been an easy fix for the 4th line but somehow Cameron was too stubborn to revert back to what actually worked nicely.
Thank you, that is my point exactly. Players do not develop sitting in the stands or on the bench for the whole game.

The worst thing you can do is leave a kid on the bench and then send him out for one shift. The kid overreaches and is more worried about making a mistake than about playing his game.

I still think that Killer had the right idea. You play everyone in the first half of the season. At the break, you talk to the rookies and tell them that it is now time to get ready as they are going to be counted on to be responsible.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I agree with everything except the minutes that fourth-line players get. DC has shown that he could care less about the fourth line and ignores them.

He is not interested in developing rookies. To him, they are just things that he has to put up with. If the league said you could just dress 3 lines I think he would be happier.

I hope I am wrong but last year showed that he had no desire to develop players Whitehead would ahve been better in the CCHL or OJHL for the lack of development he got last year.

If Whiteheead and Yanni are not at least 3rd line players this year, then Boyd needs to find someone else to draft forwards, as his choices have not developed the way they should have.

My worry is that agents will look at Barlas, Whitehead, Yanni, possibly Amidovski and all the other forwards and tell Boyd to take a hike and not even look at my players when you draft.

I think he actually played his 4th line more than the opponents during playoffs. The problem was that the line sucked once Yanni was no longer on it. With Yanni they were a useful energy line, without Yanni they hardly left the defensive zone and they were mostly chasing the puck. Barlas is a fine 4th liner and I don't think he was ever the problem but he was unable to keep his line going during playoffs once he no longer had Yanni on his line.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
What more Chase Yanni could have done to earn ice time? Scored 4 points in his first 10 OHL games, then was fantastic during playoffs as well. The 4th line was very good with him in the lineup but it instantly became a liability once he got scratched. I never understood why Cameron insisted on playing injured vets over Yanni when the 4th line was actually effective with Yanni beforehand. There would have been an easy fix for the 4th line but somehow Cameron was too stubborn to revert back to what actually worked nicely.

He has to push AHEAD of others. Right now, he is 100% behind Pinelli and one of Gerrior/Foster who will line up on the left side. That means at best he will get a shot at 3rd line LW. That also assumes Stonehouse isn’t in the mix in December. I know Stonehouse is listed as a RW but he is a left shot and played with Dever and Horner on the 3rd line the 2nd half of last year and in the playoffs. Ottaw a hasn’t graduated any wingers.

Stonehouse, Barlas, and Pinelli may all get traded at some point which would open a door for Yanni but barring those trades, I cannot see him truly getting off the 4th line permanently. So, yes, he does need to earn it. His four points going up against the likes of Pinelli, Stonehouse, Foster, and Gerrior really isn’t even a discussion. Then add this year’s 1st round pick, a player with size and a higher pedigree into that mix? We need to be realistic. Yanni lines up to start the season as the 4th line LW. If he pushes the envelop and forces Cameron’s hand then great.

Reactions: dirty12

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He has to push AHEAD of others. Right now, he is 100% behind Pinelli and one of Gerrior/Foster who will line up on the left side. That means at best he will get a shot at 3rd line LW. That also assumes Stonehouse isn’t in the mix in December. I know Stonehouse is listed as a RW but he is a left shot and played with Dever and Horner on the 3rd line the 2nd half of last year and in the playoffs. Ottaw a hasn’t graduated any wingers.

Stonehouse, Barlas, and Pinelli may all get traded at some point which would open a door for Yanni but barring those trades, I cannot see him truly getting off the 4th line permanently. So, yes, he does need to earn it. His four points going up against the likes of Pinelli, Stonehouse, Foster, and Gerrior really isn’t even a discussion. Then add this year’s 1st round pick, a player with size and a higher pedigree into that mix? We need to be realistic. Yanni lines up to start the season as the 4th line LW. If he pushes the envelop and forces Cameron’s hand then great.
That may all be true but with the limited ice time he got I don't think there's much more he could have done. He scored 4 points in his first 10 games, then proved that the 67's were a clearly better playoff team with compared to without him. I don't know what more you can possibly expect from a rookie getting limited ice time only. He exceeded my expectations. Whitehead hasn't been bad by any means but I don't think he was ever pushing for ice time the way Yanni did.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

Players need to earn their ice time. You cannot push 19 year olds to the 4th line to make room for 17 year olds especially when the 19 year olds are better.

Cameron gets paid to win games. You don’t win games playing players that are less impactful. You are advocating to play players less experienced and less impactful for the betterment of those particular players as if the names on the back of the jersey are more important than the logo on the front.

I have a saying I use, “Don’t get bitter, get better!” If the players deserve ice, they will get it. Work hard, keep your head down and perform when you get an opportunity. That should really end the discussion.

That may all be true but with the limited ice time he got I don't think there's much more he could have done. He scored 4 points in his first 10 games, then proved that the 67's were a clearly better playoff team with compared to without him. I don't know what more you can possibly expect from a rookie getting limited ice time only. He exceeded my expectations. Whitehead hasn't been bad by any means but I don't think he was ever pushing for ice time the way Yanni did.
I have Yanni on the 4th line where his age and experience compared to his competition at that position really places him. He has done absolutely nothing regardless of his limited opportunity to play ahead of any of the players I listed And he is likely competing with this year’s 1st round pick as well. It is what it is.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Players need to earn their ice time. You cannot push 19 year olds to the 4th line to make room for 17 year olds especially when the 19 year olds are better.

Cameron gets paid to win games. You don’t win games playing players that are less impactful. You are advocating to play players less experienced and less impactful for the betterment of those particular players as if the names on the back of the jersey are more important than the logo on the front.

I have a saying I use, “Don’t get bitter, get better!” If the players deserve ice, they will get it. Work hard, keep your head down and perform when you get an opportunity. That should really end the discussion.

I have Yanni on the 4th line where his age and experience compared to his competition at that position really places him. He has done absolutely nothing regardless of his limited opportunity to play ahead of any of the players I listed And he is likely competing with this year’s 1st round pick as well. It is what it is.
You're missing the point. Yanni did earn more ice time. Cameron refusing to give it to him doesn't change anything. Yanni made the most of the limited opportunities he got and the team was clearly better with him in the lineup. Can't ask for more from a rookie. I like Cameron but he was far too stubborn during playoffs. I liked his top9 forwards but the 4th line became a major problem once Yanni got scratched. Sirman was a major liability as well. Cameron refused to address those problems which is why the series vs Oshawa was a lost cause. I think it could have been a lot closer had Cameron been more committed to stop the bleeding and deal with the problems in front of him. You can't continue to dress and play kids who just keep on turning over pucks and get caved into their own zone. He should have reduced their ice time, or, even better, scratched them...especially with an impact player like Yanni in his back pocket. Cameron's hope and pray approach was never gonna work. He should have done something about it.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Do you guys think DCs lack of trust in the 16/17 year old players has anything to do with the lack of size his GM keeps drafting in past years?
One thing I always notice with Ottawa is the lack of size and physicality of this team.
I didn’t go back through all of the last drafts but just a visual observation I have seen in the last 5 years scouting.

Reactions: OMG67 and dirty12

Fawlty

Dec 16, 2023
Re. size of Ottawa's players. It's noticeable that they seem to draft players on the smaller side. There's a couple in the system that do have some size (Hilton, Houben (spelling?) but they don't seem to consistently feature on the team (yet). They do have another player Daryan Matthews (D) who has good size at 6 foot 5 and 216 and at 17, is probably still growing. Maybe he will be someone that stands out at training camp. I'm just a little tired every season seeing 67s players get physically beaten down by bigger, stronger players especially come playoff time. Maybe some of the smaller players like Korbler, Whitehead & Yanni will have grown a bit in the off season!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad