Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
OMG, I fully agree with what you are saying. As to burning a year on a contract and having to pay, would not part of the year be covered by insurance?

As to what Stonehouse wants, I tend to think that if he is returned, he will have had a couple of games in the AHL, possibly ECHL, as they are at no cost to the team, and it will give them an idea of how his shoulder is before subjecting him to the OHL grind.

I am guessing that we will start the season with

MacK
Gerrior
Sirman/Mayich depends on trade that can be made
Stonehouse

The question then could be who do we release or have sat in the stands to give Stonehouse ice time, or who does trade if we are going to keep him?

@Larionov is correct in that the team tends to try to do what is best and show loyalty. The challenge is that all 4 of these guys have been great team players.

I also have to question DC on playing hurt and damaged Stonehouse so much and not using other options.

I think that a lot more needs to be done with this team, and it must be an interesting summer for Boyd, the players' agents, and their parents.

Returning LW

Pinelli stays until at least the deadline
Gerrior depends on if we get an offer or Stonehouse comes back
Barlas depends on offers and if Gerrior goes
Yanni young you can not move him he will be good with Whitehead
Hilton My pick for the surprise player going into this season
Houben needs to play on a competitive team could be interesting but
Allain - could be a surprise but think he needs a year CCHL

Looking at this the questions are

When is a good time to trade Pinelli Will we get a better ofer at the deadline or now and which would be better for a developing team

Who has more of an upside, Gerrior or Barlas? I think one of them has to go before camp opens and definitely before the season starts.

How much more coordination and size can Hilton put on over the summer? Imagine a PP with him on the ice in front of the goalie LOL
Beast I don't think there is any doubt between Gerrior and Barlas. One is much better in all facets of the game....not even close! One is a leader by example on what they want this team to be ( compete and no quit). Only reason said player goes if we get a silly offer for him. I'll let you guess who I'm referring to😉

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Beast I don't think there is any doubt between Gerrior and Barlas. One is much better in all facets of the game....not even close! One is a leader by example on what they want this team to be ( compete and no quit). Only reason said player goes if we get a silly offer for him. I'll let you guess who I'm referring to😉
Barlas had a promising rookie year, really thought he would’ve been more by now. Did well against us but seemingly hasn’t improved.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I thought you like Gerrior? I am now confused…..

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Barlas had a promising rookie year, really thought he would’ve been more by now. Did well against us but seemingly hasn’t improved.

Just to add a bit of perspective, they were trying to get Barlas to be a centre as a rookie and he was failing miserably. His second year they shifted him to the wing and he did very well. The problem is they’ve had very competitive teams the last two years and no real opportunity available for him. Then last year they played him as a centre a lot to help fill the lineup. So, again, no real opportunity playing 4th line centre.

I think Barlas is fine as a top 9 winger. HE gets injured too often. But, now as a 19 year old, he has too much competition with younger guys to bother continuing to use him on the roster. He is now only blocking younger guys from getting ice.

Reactions: frontsfan67

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Just to add a bit of perspective, they were trying to get Barlas to be a centre as a rookie and he was failing miserably. His second year they shifted him to the wing and he did very well. The problem is they’ve had very competitive teams the last two years and no real opportunity available for him. Then last year they played him as a centre a lot to help fill the lineup. So, again, no real opportunity playing 4th line centre.

I think Barlas is fine as a top 9 winger. HE gets injured too often. But, now as a 19 year old, he has too much competition with younger guys to bother continuing to use him on the roster. He is now only blocking younger guys from getting ice.
It would be nice to see Barlas come into camp ready and able to be a second-line center. That is what he and the team need. We could then look at him as the first-line center for next year's team, ala Tolnai. I actually think it is possible if he gets the right training and maturity.

A lot is going to depend on what the 67 do at the Euro draft and whether they hit it out of the park.

Again I will add to my wish list

Hilton come back bigger and more capable of being a topline winger

Barlas comes back as a capable 2nd line center

If both of these things happen then we will have a good mid pack team

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
It would be nice to see Barlas come into camp ready and able to be a second-line center. That is what he and the team need. We could then look at him as the first-line center for next year's team, ala Tolnai. I actually think it is possible if he gets the right training and maturity.

A lot is going to depend on what the 67 do at the Euro draft and whether they hit it out of the park.

Yeah, I wouldn’t project Barlas at Centre, especially not 2nd line. He was the 4th line centre last year playing 5 minutes per game through the second half (when he wasn’t injured).

The reality is there is not a spot for him on this team unless they ship out younger guys. I don’t see it.

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022

They have also made it clear by watching down the stretch and into the playoffs last season they are much higher on Dever at centre he plays in all situations 2nd line PP 1st or second line PK, I think Dever is likely your Tolnai next year if watching the second half of last season says anything, Dever, Foster, Gardiner , Pinelli making the jump to the AHL Barlas being moved & Horner likely back down to the CCHL. Unless 05’s are brought in this year I expect that as the 05 overage group also could change if foster or Gardiner sign there entry level contract but even so I still believe that’s the current 3

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
They have also made it clear by watching down the stretch and into the playoffs last season they are much higher on Dever at centre he plays in all situations 2nd line PP 1st or second line PK, I think Dever is likely your Tolnai next year if watching the second half of last season says anything, Dever, Foster, Gardiner , Pinelli making the jump to the AHL Barlas being moved & Horner likely back down to the CCHL. Unless 05’s are brought in this year I expect that as the 05 overage group also could change if foster or Gardiner sign there entry level contract but even so I still believe that’s the current 3

I agree. Foster and Gardiner are locked in as OA’s. I think Dever is likely #3. The only caveat to all that is the development of Whitehead and Amidovski. It may be a log jam at centre if they acquire a 17-18 year old centre in the Import draft this year and then keep Dever and Gardiner as OA Centres which would hold back the Import, Whitehead and Amidovski. I’d keep an eye on that.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I agree. Foster and Gardiner are locked in as OA’s. I think Dever is likely #3. The only caveat to all that is the development of Whitehead and Amidovski. It may be a log jam at centre if they acquire a 17-18 year old centre in the Import draft this year and then keep Dever and Gardiner as OA Centres which would hold back the Import, Whitehead and Amidovski. I’d keep an eye on that.
I think the way these guys play this year up to the deadline is going to have a lot to do with it.

05 starting this year
Horner
Barlas
Dever
Pinelli
Gardiner
Foster

To me, the solution is to put them all on the trade block and see what you can get.

Because we are rebuilding, I think it would be okay to lose 3 of them in trades.

I still hold out hope that Hilton and Barlas come back with an edge.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Why would they keep 3 OA forwards?

Now not my team however from all the times kingston has played you guys. Dever is 100% the guy to trade lol. Only problem is you won’t get as much for him.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to either trade for an OA defenceman or keep Horner as the 3rd guy?

Not super familiar with Horner as he hasn’t ever stood out but he only had 6 less points then Dever while being probably a 3rd pairing d man.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
05 starting this year
Horner
Barlas
Dever
Pinelli
Gardiner
Foster
Probably will get the most value out of Pinelli, gardiner, foster if it really is a rebuild and not a retool.

Gardiner and foster have the potential to come back as OA’s as they haven’t really taken the next big step yet- which they may this year. Pinelli is a 48 goal scorer- obviously the most valuable. May hit 60 this year. 50 is very likely.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013

Now not my team however from all the times kingston has played you guys. Dever is 100% the guy to trade lol. Only problem is you won’t get as much for him.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to either trade for an OA defenceman or keep Horner as the 3rd guy?

Not super familiar with Horner as he hasn’t ever stood out but he only had 6 less points then Dever while being probably a 3rd pairing d man.
With the lineup we have for defence we are really not going to need an OA defenceman

Consider that next year we will have
Mews Marelli
Dietsch Brady
Eshkawkogan Bonomo

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

You gotta play the hand you are dealt. They have nothing but forwards as 05s. Horner may still be listed as a D-Man but they moved him to RW last year and he had much more success. The assumption is he will stay on RW.

Dever had quite a bit of success late in the season and through the playoffs when they shifted him to 3C. Take a look at his playoff production stats. He had 9 points in 10 games centring Stonehouse and Horner. The expectation for him is 2/3C this year. If he can prove consistent as a centre, there may be a window for him as an OA.

However, there is nothing saying those guys will all still be here at the end of the season or they don’t make a shuffle to start next season to fit roster need.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think we need to taper expectations a bit. Boyd will almost certainly make a best effort from the start of the season to be as competitive as possible. It is a well structured and disciplined team so it is likely they do get off to a good start. They don’t have a difficult schedule through the middle of November. I see the possibility they will develop some confidence early. But, I think some of the stronger teams will begin to take off around mid/late October. We may start to see that gap start to widen in and around end of November.

Where the question comes into play is how far back does this team need to be to consider themselves not a contender? Is it a matter of points out of first or is it placing? We could be in a situation where two teams start to separate themselves from the pack and both show the ability and willingness to be big players at the deadline while the 67’s are in 4th place for the Conference. From a standings perspective, they look ok sitting in 4th but further analysis would show they don’t really have much of a chance. Or, the conference could turn out a bit more like last year where they are in 6th but the gap between 1st and 6th is relatively narrow.

What factors will Boyd use to determine if he sells off a player or two at the deadline?

Reactions: Section5Petes

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think we need to taper expectations a bit. Boyd will almost certainly make a best effort from the start of the season to be as competitive as possible. It is a well structured and disciplined team so it is likely they do get off to a good start. They don’t have a difficult schedule through the middle of November. I see the possibility they will develop some confidence early. But, I think some of the stronger teams will begin to take off around mid/late October. We may start to see that gap start to widen in and around end of November.

Where the question comes into play is how far back does this team need to be to consider themselves not a contender? Is it a matter of points out of first or is it placing? We could be in a situation where two teams start to separate themselves from the pack and both show the ability and willingness to be big players at the deadline while the 67’s are in 4th place for the Conference. From a standings perspective, they look ok sitting in 4th but further analysis would show they don’t really have much of a chance. Or, the conference could turn out a bit more like last year where they are in 6th but the gap between 1st and 6th is relatively narrow.

What factors will Boyd use to determine if he sells off a player or two at the deadline?
Fully agree but one of the things Boyd is going to have to think about is OA's

The smart thing to do is get what the market will pay and make the deals tht we can for the players that teams want.

I do not see any way tht this team can be considered a contender this year. I think this team is going to be, at best, the same as this past year.

We will not know much until after the Euro draft, as I think there will be trades made, not just Euro players drafted.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With the lineup we have for defence we are really not going to need an OA defenceman

Consider that next year we will have
Mews Marelli
Dietsch Brady
Eshkawkogan Bonomo
That six will not be able to play 60-65 effective minutes imo. I think you actually made the case for an OA D to pair with Eshkawkogan. A least project a top 30 picked ‘09-D and say you expect a 7D line up.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
That six will not be able to play 60-65 effective minutes imo. I think you actually made the case for an OA D to pair with Eshkawkogan. A least project a top 30 picked ‘09-D and say you expect a 7D line up.
Remember take into account that this is not next years D but the year following.

I think that they, as a starting 6, will be very effective. As to the other 7/8 I think they will be drafted players or possibly players we get in trade.

Bottom line is defence is not going to be our weak point in 25/26.

This will also still be a team that is in retooling.

NordiquesForeva

May 30, 2022

My view is that the presumption going into the season absolutely needs to be that we'll be sellers at the deadline this year. By sellers, I mean Pinelli, and potentially one of our other 19-year olds (Gardiner or Foster). I wouldn't frame this as a rebuttal presumption, but more of a firm thought process going in. Boyd can't waver or rethink the approach if we find ourselves in 4th or 5th place at the deadline and decide to not sell (or even worse, buy). There comes a time when a franchise needs to recoup some draft pick capital and live to fight another day, and that time is now for the 67s.

I would only support any additions to the roster if the 67s encounter a rash of injuries and the youngsters are struggling with the increased responsibility and demands.

The team can get out ahead of the messaging to the fan base and signal that this year will be a re-tooling year after a good stretch of competitiveness. Mews will be a reasonably high draft pick. Ottawa is hosting the World Juniors. The 67s have some promising young players, including a potential stud goaltender. There is enough meat on the bone there to keep the fanbase interested despite a mediocre year (imho).

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Remember take into account that this is not next years D but the year following.

I think that they, as a starting 6, will be very effective. As to the other 7/8 I think they will be drafted players or possibly players we get in trade.

Bottom line is defence is not going to be our weak point in 25/26.

This will also still be a team that is in retooling.
Eshkwakogan will be too small to be a minute muncher at 17. Bonomo will effectively be a rookie. Brady is a depth player. Dietsch will be a 2nd yr player. If that is 3-6 without a regular 7th D, the D most certainly not be a strength.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Eshkwakogan will be too small to be a minute muncher at 17. Bonomo will effectively be a rookie. Brady is a depth player. Dietsch will be a 2nd yr player. If that is 3-6 without a regular 7th D, the D most certainly not be a strength.

I think that is a worst case scenario perspective. I think there will be some decent production from a few of those players so although I don’t agree with Beast about how “good” that group will be, I do feel there is a happy medium between the two of your positions.

Mews and Marrelli will both be 19 years old. They will likely play 28 minutes per game agaisnt the more competitive competition.

Dietsch and Brady will be 18. Like you, I am not sold on Brady quite yet. I need to see him this year play a full seaosn before I can properly assess his capabilities. However, we did see Dietsch in short stints this year. Had Ottawa not been so deep on the back end, Dietsch would have played the entire season in a starting role as the #6. He is that good. I anticipate him being a solid #3 as an 18 year old.

Eshkawkogan? Smaller kids when drafted tend to grow a bit more early. I’m not going to suggest or agree that he will remain shorter than average through his 17 year old season. I think it is likely he will put on a few inches and pounds but even if he doesn’t, if a 1st round pick D-man cannot play as a 3rd pairing guy and eat 12 minutes per game as a 17 year old, I think the result is him being a VERY bad selection at 21st.

I know nothing about Bonomo. I think it is way too early to project who that 6th guy will be. It could very well be Brady which means we need a valid #3/4 to play with Dietsch. That is where the OA may come into play most likely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I think that is a worst case scenario perspective. I think there will be some decent production from a few of those players so although I don’t agree with Beast about how “good” that group will be, I do feel there is a happy medium between the two of your positions.

Mews and Marrelli will both be 19 years old. They will likely play 28 minutes per game agaisnt the more competitive competition.

Dietsch and Brady will be 18. Like you, I am not sold on Brady quite yet. I need to see him this year play a full seaosn before I can properly assess his capabilities. However, we did see Dietsch in short stints this year. Had Ottawa not been so deep on the back end, Dietsch would have played the entire season in a starting role as the #6. He is that good. I anticipate him being a solid #3 as an 18 year old.

Eshkawkogan? Smaller kids when drafted tend to grow a bit more early. I’m not going to suggest or agree that he will remain shorter than average through his 17 year old season. I think it is likely he will put on a few inches and pounds but even if he doesn’t, if a 1st round pick D-man cannot play as a 3rd pairing guy and eat 12 minutes per game as a 17 year old, I think the result is him being a VERY bad selection at 21st.

I know nothing about Bonomo. I think it is way too early to project who that 6th guy will be. It could very well be Brady which means we need a valid #3/4 to play with Dietsch. That is where the OA may come into play most likely.
I was projecting Eshkawkogan (still a small D if growing a couple of inches) as 3-4 pair with Dietsch. That is fine if playing 7 D. I don’t think two second year players should be counted on to play 20+ effective minutes.

Last edited:
Reactions: OMG67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I was projecting Eshkawkogan (still a small D if growing a couple of inches) as 3-4 pair with Dietsch. That is fine if playing 7 D. I don’t think two second year players should be counted on to play 20+ effective minutes.

100% agreed. I think where things will fall is guys like Mews and Marrelli will play 28+ minutes per game when the competition requires it. The 3rd pairing will only play about 12 minutes those games.

I have high hopes for Dietsch. I think Eskakowgan will develop, just a matter of the time required. Brady and Bonomo I am unsure of. Brady seemed ok but his role was far too limited and the sample size was far too small to get a strong enough sense of whether he is a bonafide OHL player or a fill in #7 type. Bonomo will be a flat out rookie. I think it will be tough to assume he would play this year much if at all.

Too much will transpire over the course of the next season to truly add Brady and Bonomo to a projected lineup. It is at least good to know there are bodies to potentially fill holes.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
100% agreed. I think where things will fall is guys like Mews and Marrelli will play 28+ minutes per game when the competition requires it. The 3rd pairing will only play about 12 minutes those games.

I have high hopes for Dietsch. I think Eskakowgan will develop, just a matter of the time required. Brady and Bonomo I am unsure of. Brady seemed ok but his role was far too limited and the sample size was far too small to get a strong enough sense of whether he is a bonafide OHL player or a fill in #7 type. Bonomo will be a flat out rookie. I think it will be tough to assume he would play this year much if at all.

Too much will transpire over the course of the next season to truly add Brady and Bonomo to a projected lineup. It is at least good to know there are bodies to potentially fill holes.
Except the draft of ‘05 born. Boyd has not been shy with using high picks on defence, so it should be good and relatively deep always.
It’s just might be a bit tricky to ice a balanced team for a bit having used up excess picks on rentals and two defects in three years. Acquiring an ‘06 or ‘07 D this season will help balance out 3-OA forwards next season.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Except the draft of ‘05 born. Boyd has not been shy with using high picks on defence, so it should be good and relatively deep always.
It’s just might be a bit tricky to ice a balanced team for a bit having used up excess picks on rentals and two defects in three years. Acquiring an ‘06 or ‘07 D this season will help balance out 3-OA forwards next season.

That is one of the main reasons why I feel this year, regardless of performance, should be a retool season. We don’t have the tools to honestly make a run this season. I think Boyd will make a best effort to see what happens but ultimately, I think he will submit that the deadline will be about selling.

HOWEVER, that doesn’t’ mean he wouldn’t strategically buy for the future. IF there were an 18 year old that may not be in a good situation currently that Boyd feels would fit in better in Ottawa and the price isn’t overly heavy, I think he would buy in that manner. That may help to set up next season a little better.

I also think this season needs to be a feeler year. Get the younger guys some ice, move them around a bit to see what fits and who plays well with whom. That will act as a good measuring stick to identifying the pieces we need next year.

I really see a lot of parallels between Ottawa and North Bay this season. Both could be middling competitive but both could benefit from a retool. Help build up that draft pick cabinet.

I don’t think they will cut any deeper than Pinelli and whatever they end up settling on for OA’s. They may downgrade their OA’s at the deadline a bit. Trade guys like MacK, Stonehouse and Mayich. Bring in lesser light OA’s that will fill the gaps a bit and eat some ice. Let the younger guys chomp on more ice int he 2nd half. I don’t see guys like dever, Gardiner, and Foster getting moved. I think Boyd will at least want to remain competitive against the bottom half of the league.

Reactions: dirty12

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My view is that the presumption going into the season absolutely needs to be that we'll be sellers at the deadline this year. By sellers, I mean Pinelli, and potentially one of our other 19-year olds (Gardiner or Foster). I wouldn't frame this as a rebuttal presumption, but more of a firm thought process going in. Boyd can't waver or rethink the approach if we find ourselves in 4th or 5th place at the deadline and decide to not sell (or even worse, buy). There comes a time when a franchise needs to recoup some draft pick capital and live to fight another day, and that time is now for the 67s.

I would only support any additions to the roster if the 67s encounter a rash of injuries and the youngsters are struggling with the increased responsibility and demands.

The team can get out ahead of the messaging to the fan base and signal that this year will be a re-tooling year after a good stretch of competitiveness. Mews will be a reasonably high draft pick. Ottawa is hosting the World Juniors. The 67s have some promising young players, including a potential stud goaltender. There is enough meat on the bone there to keep the fanbase interested despite a mediocre year (imho).

I think I fall on the side of “cautiously optimistic” when it comes to Boyd’s early approach. I think two seasons ago he was surprised that the team was so advanced and he shifted gears at the deadline to support the club. I feel like he will take the approach where he pretty much knows this needs to be a retool but he is open to at least giving the team a chance to be competitive BEFORE he throws int he towel. Ultimately, I think he will throw in the towel.

If he were to approach the season as a write-off, I think we would see him be more aggressive selling early. I think he would try to identify a team that wants to be competitive, has an open OA spot and a poor goaltending situation and move MacK on the spot. I think we would see him clear out a lot of the middling veteran players and run with some more youth on the bottom half of the roster right from the start.

If we see all that happen, I think you are correct. Boyd did approach the season as a retool, crafted a strategy and executed it from the start.

Reactions: NordiquesForeva

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad