Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
You are wrong here my friend
This is certainly a big deal the return will be much much less for a guy coming off shoulder surgery with the unknown of it could be 1 hit to knock him down again. Shoulders are scary and could go bad again in his first game back, #1 injury in hockey that reoccurs is the the shoulder

Yes but we knew he was getting shoulder surgery when the season ended. That was a given. The part about it being a return in December actually gives the 67’s flexibility to hold him on the roster without having to rotate OA’s in and out of the lineup.

Teams will always overvalue players they want. It is as near a certainty in hockey as there is. When the trade deadline comes and there are four teams looking to upgrade on their OA’s and want a pest that can score goals, they will bid high as usual. The OA trades at the deadline last year were crazy.

If the 67’s were forced to move him preseason, the value would likely be much lower, even if he were coming off shoulder surgery and ready to start the season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I dunno. I think a lot of people misunderstand Stonehouse. I hear a lot of bad takes on Stonehouse from opposition play by play announcers. Stonehouse isn’t a heavy player. He doesn’t particularly line guys up for hits. He doesn’t lean on guys. He rarely fights. He is pretty much a yappy pest that crashes the net late whenever he can. He’s chippy and lippy. He gets under guys skin and gets them chasing him. They lose their focus which tends to open ice for his linemates.

With the right linemates, he can pop some goals and be an offensive threat. He skates pretty well and has a good shot. NHL calibre? I don’t think so. But, as a pesky pain in the ass, he could potentially make an NHL roster some day. Guys like that are hard to find.

I’m not sure JVV Is a centre with the Steelheads. I think he is a winger. He plays the type of game where he can lean on guys from the boards in. As a centre, I don’t think he is creative enough. I think KArmiris and Misa will likely play #1 and #2 down the middle.
Pretty sure centres will be McConnell, Karmiris, JVV. Misa is the only real offence from LW, and is small to be a top line centre in the central.
Edit; For now that is, a couple of new OAs and an import could change things substantially

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If the 67’s were forced to move him preseason, the value would likely be much lower, even if he were coming off shoulder surgery and ready to start the season.
I don't think players' values really increase from pre-season to deadline unless the player shows improvement in that time. And I'm not sure there are a lot of good OA RWs that will be available; Konyen, Mangone, Stonehouse could have been, the others are ...?
Flint took two RW and two RD off the market. Who are the steelheads in competition with to fill one of the two RW spots open in their top 9 with an OA? That will determine the value.

Timing does matter though. Wakely for example might be the top centre option available this season. Teams with that need may not be convinced they are contenders at this point, and may not be willing to part with 4-5 picks for him pre-season. At the same time, NB probably believes Wakley will help younger players develop; so it might take a ridiculous offer to get him to start the season. So possibly no deal for the top player available until the last minute.
I think there will be teams with 5-6 OAs trying to rid themselves of comparable options among goalies, LW, LD until mid-November. That is where good players can be had for 3, 8 picks.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
I don't think players' values really increase from pre-season to deadline unless the player shows improvement in that time. And I'm not sure there are a lot of good OA RWs that will be available; Konyen, Mangone, Stonehouse
Konyen just got traded to flint. He’s not available as flint is seemingly trying to get better.

Saginaw may try and go for it 2 years in a row given they’ll have misa, Parekh, hay, oke, mangone, sima, forgione, bishop all back. Forgione and bishop with more minutes will improve their numbers I’m sure. As much as I’d love for Saginaw to go a full scale rebuild they still have a lot of good pieces in place, and will have 2 new imports.

Stonehouse apparently is out until December with shoulder surgery so he may not come back the same.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don't think players' values really increase from pre-season to deadline unless the player shows improvement in that time. And I'm not sure there are a lot of good OA RWs that will be available; Konyen, Mangone, Stonehouse could have been, the others are ...?
Flint took two RW and two RD off the market. Who are the steelheads in competition with to fill one of the two RW spots open in their top 9 with an OA? That will determine the value.

Timing does matter though. Wakely for example might be the top centre option available this season. Teams with that need may not be convinced they are contenders at this point, and may not be willing to part with 4-5 picks for him pre-season. At the same time, NB probably believes Wakley will help younger players develop; so it might take a ridiculous offer to get him to start the season. So possibly no deal for the top player available until the last minute.
I think there will be teams with 5-6 OAs trying to rid themselves of comparable options among goalies, LW, LD until mid-November. That is where good players can be had for 3, 8 picks.

If you look at guys like Lockhart, I think you’d be wrong. Same with Jack Beck. Similarly valued guys at the deadline all went for more.

I’m not going to say what the value is for Stonehouse but a valued player at the start for the season would be a 2nd and 3rd for an OA. That same player at the deadline is likely an additional 3rd, maybe more. Smith went for a 1st rounder!

There is something to be said about increasing value with play so that is a variable that is difficult to factor. As was mentioned, Stonehouse value would be more if he were playing for a month prior to the deadline to reinforce his value. His intangibles may make that less of a factor though. It will be interesting to watch.

Konyen just got traded to flint. He’s not available as flint is seemingly trying to get better.

Saginaw may try and go for it 2 years in a row given they’ll have misa, Parekh, hay, oke, mangone, sima, forgione, bishop all back. Forgione and bishop with more minutes will improve their numbers I’m sure. As much as I’d love for Saginaw to go a full scale rebuild they still have a lot of good pieces in place, and will have 2 new imports.

Stonehouse apparently is out until December with shoulder surgery so he may not come back the same.

Saginaw will have to roll with what they’ve got because they have f-all for picks. If they don’t replenish those picks this year turning some of those players over, it will get progressively more difficult waiting. Rolling the dice with early 1st rounders returning for a 4th season is a gamble.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I realize that. Off the top of my head there were three good OA RW that should be available; Konyen, Stonehouse, Mangone
It might be a 2 year re-tool while trying to be competitive

Reactions: frontsfan67

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
If you look at guys like Lockhart, I think you’d be wrong. Same with Jack Beck. Similarly valued guys at the deadline all went for more.
The Petes valued the OA D & C more than the OA RW, and wanted to treat Lockhart fairly. There was not a competitive market for an OA RW, so Oshawa scooped him up dirt cheap.
J.Beck was not the same, there were several bigger and powerful LW that were simiarly valued and difficult to move for more than a 3rd pick.
I’m not going to say what the value is for Stonehouse but a valued player at the start for the season would be a 2nd and 3rd for an OA. That same player at the deadline is likely an additional 3rd, maybe more. Smith went for a 1st rounder!
Smith and probably the better McCue went for a 1st, quite possibly a 1st that OS did not value as much as 3-4 high picks. And at least two teams wanted Smith; OS and NB.
There is something to be said about increasing value with play so that is a variable that is difficult to factor. As was mentioned, Stonehouse value would be more if he were playing for a month prior to the deadline to reinforce his value. His intangibles may make that less of a factor though. It will be interesting to watch.
I think a healthy Stonehouse would be a good OA RW. His 'intangibles' was a nice story for '67s fans that became a tale, nothing more imo. You can be an infuriating punk at 17, at 19 you can go to the penalty box alone and cost your team while looking like a p****.
Saginaw will have to roll with what they’ve got because they have f-all for picks. If they don’t replenish those picks this year turning some of those players over, it will get progressively more difficult waiting. Rolling the dice with early 1st rounders returning for a 4th season is a gamble.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The Petes valued the OA D & C more than the OA RW, and wanted to treat Lockhart fairly. There was not a competitive market for an OA RW, so Oshawa scooped him up dirt cheap.
J.Beck was not the same, there were several bigger and powerful LW that were simiarly valued and difficult to move for more than a 3rd pick.

Smith and probably the better McCue went for a 1st, quite possibly a 1st that OS did not value as much as 3-4 high picks. And at least two teams wanted Smith; OS and NB.

I think a healthy Stonehouse would be a good OA RW. His 'intangibles' was a nice story for '67s fans that became a tale, nothing more imo. You can be an infuriating punk at 17, at 19 you can go to the penalty box alone and cost your team while looking like a p****.

I don’t understand your point (Lockhart). The point is Ottawa has to make decisions on their OA’s. They cannot keep them all and wait for a market to materialize. There will be OA’s on multiple teams that go for next to nothing and then potentially again at the deadline for much more than next to nothing. That is the point with Lockhart. That is why players of that calibre go for more at the deadline than earlier in the season because the market materializes when teams are poised and ready to make those changes. Jack Beck went for a 2nd and a 3rd. Based on other OA’s at the deadline, he would have gone for more had Ottawa moved him at the deadline.

There will be a few highly sought after OA players that if they are available, teams will jump on them immediately. Other than that small handful of OA players, they won’t get the return they would had they been moved at the deadline.

In Ottawa’s situation, they have four guys that all would be sought after as deadline OA’s (assuming MacK is healthy and someone is in need of a goalie). Plus they have Sirman and Smyth on top of that. If they have the flexibility of keeping four guys all the way through the deadline and one is on the injury list through the beginning of December, they at least don’t need to rotate guys in and out. The other three will be more happy. I view the Stonehouse delayed start as a positive provided he isn’t one of those guys multiple teams would jump on in the pre-season. I’m not sure he is one of those guys. Maybe he is? I don’t know. Same with Mayich. I think those two guys are more of a solid deadline pickup.

And Sam McCue is far from a difference maker. That 3rd round pick in 2026 as part of the package with Addy would probably be an overpay if it were that pick straight up for McCue. That deal was Smith for Addy with some spare parts mixed in to make it work…McCue takes Addy’s spot to ice a lineup. But, Smith was a 19 year old and not an OA so it isn’t quite the same. Same with McCoy. So, they aren’t really comparables to Ottawa’s situation.

I know you aren’t a fan of Stonehouse. 59 PIM’s last season doesn’t suggest he’s in the box watching his team kill too many penalties. He draws way more than he takes and often takes a guy with him. The question for him is whether his scoring last year was an anomaly or not. How much was his injured shoulder affecting his ability to shoot the puck? I think a lot of teams may have the same questions. I doubt Edmonton is signing Stonehouse as a Free agent based on a pre-season performance that mirrored his regular season scoring results. I think it is pretty clear his shoulder was a significant issue. Will the surgery be successful and allow him to regain his past success? Again, I think that is the question the teams looking at him as their potential difference maker acquisition Will be asking.

I like Mayich but it is not like he is an infallible defensive D-Man. He’s pretty good but his market will depend a lot on what other OA Left Side D-Men become available. If that market at his level is deep, he is just another LHD. I agree that the RHD will be much more sought after with less supply. That is why I think if Ottawa does decide to sell, moving Mews may result in quite a crazy asset return. That starts at a 1st round pick and goes up from there.

Misa, Romani and Pinelli look to be the stud goal scoring wingers, assuming Misa becomes available. Is three of them being available enough to depress the market a bit? It will be interesting.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I don’t understand your point (Lockhart). The point is Ottawa has to make decisions on their OA’s. They cannot keep them all and wait for a market to materialize.
I think Flint and Brampton were competing similar players, but there might still be a bit of an early market for an OA RW. Stonehouse probably could have brought top 6-7 forward type value from Brampton if he was available.
The '67s OA LD & G, hope for the best I guess.
There will be OA’s on multiple teams that go for next to nothing and then potentially again at the deadline for much more than next to nothing. That is the point with Lockhart. That is why players of that calibre go for more at the deadline than earlier in the season because the market materializes when teams are poised and ready to make those changes. Jack Beck went for a 2nd and a 3rd. Based on other OA’s at the deadline, he would have gone for more had Ottawa moved him at the deadline.

There will be a few highly sought after OA players that if they are available, teams will jump on them immediately. Other than that small handful of OA players, they won’t get the return they would had they been moved at the deadline.

In Ottawa’s situation, they have four guys that all would be sought after as deadline OA’s (assuming MacK is healthy and someone is in need of a goalie). Plus they have Sirman and Smyth on top of that. If they have the flexibility of keeping four guys all the way through the deadline and one is on the injury list through the beginning of December, they at least don’t need to rotate guys in and out. The other three will be more happy. I view the Stonehouse delayed start as a positive provided he isn’t one of those guys multiple teams would jump on in the pre-season. I’m not sure he is one of those guys. Maybe he is? I don’t know. Same with Mayich. I think those two guys are more of a solid deadline pickup.

And Sam McCue is far from a difference maker. That 3rd round pick in 2026 as part of the package with Addy would probably be an overpay if it were that pick straight up for McCue. That deal was Smith for Addy with some spare parts mixed in to make it work…McCue takes Addy’s spot to ice a lineup. But, Smith was a 19 year old and not an OA so it isn’t quite the same. Same with McCoy. So, they aren’t really comparables to Ottawa’s situation.

I know you aren’t a fan of Stonehouse. 59 PIM’s last season doesn’t suggest he’s in the box watching his team kill too many penalties. He draws way more than he takes and often takes a guy with him. The question for him is whether his scoring last year was an anomaly or not. How much was his injured shoulder affecting his ability to shoot the puck? I think a lot of teams may have the same questions. I doubt Edmonton is signing Stonehouse as a Free agent based on a pre-season performance that mirrored his regular season scoring results. I think it is pretty clear his shoulder was a significant issue. Will the surgery be successful and allow him to regain his past success? Again, I think that is the question the teams looking at him as their potential difference maker acquisition Will be asking.

I like Mayich but it is not like he is an infallible defensive D-Man. He’s pretty good but his market will depend a lot on what other OA Left Side D-Men become available. If that market at his level is deep, he is just another LHD. I agree that the RHD will be much more sought after with less supply. That is why I think if Ottawa does decide to sell, moving Mews may result in quite a crazy asset return. That starts at a 1st round pick and goes up from there.

Misa, Romani and Pinelli look to be the stud goal scoring wingers, assuming Misa becomes available. Is three of them being available enough to depress the market a bit? It will be interesting.

Petes1987

Oct 13, 2013

In the Connor Lockhart trade the Petes took less and traded him to their arch rival because, yes they wanted to get him a place to play and put him into a good situation. However, I think the main reason was to retain the rights to Tucker Robertson who had a realistic chance of being returned to Peterborough. The deadline to get down to four overagers was approaching so they had to trade one of the four they were carrying to retain Robertson’s rights and they determined Lockhart was the one they needed to move.

Last edited:

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
There is another side to this that has to be mentioned. Because Stonehouse is the property of the oilers, they are probably going to be looking after most of his after-surgery action. They then could just as Ottawa did decide t keep him in the AHL and ensure his health. I think they might want to see what he is like after the surgery and could want to make sure he does not do any further damage. I am not saying he is in eh same class as Boucher or, for that matter, Sam Bennet, but remember, when they were injured, they stayed in touch and were evaluated by team physicians. I would have to think that is possible for Stonehouse also.

So yes, we could keep him and he probably should be on the roster, BUT there is the option that he could stay up, if not for the whole season in the AHL but a portion of it. Ottawa might have to either trade Gerrior or get PTBNL.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
There is another side to this that has to be mentioned. Because Stonehouse is the property of the oilers, they are probably going to be looking after most of his after-surgery action. They then could just as Ottawa did decide t keep him in the AHL and ensure his health. I think they might want to see what he is like after the surgery and could want to make sure he does not do any further damage. I am not saying he is in eh same class as Boucher or, for that matter, Sam Bennet, but remember, when they were injured, they stayed in touch and were evaluated by team physicians. I would have to think that is possible for Stonehouse also.

So yes, we could keep him and he probably should be on the roster, BUT there is the option that he could stay up, if not for the whole season in the AHL but a portion of it. Ottawa might have to either trade Gerrior or get PTBNL.

Potentially playing against grown men in the second best hockey league in the World vs playing Junior against teenagers? I’m thinking the chances are pretty good he plays against Juniors. He isn’t a first round pick. There are no politics surrounding the handling of the prospect at all. He is a long term play. Adding him to the AHL roster also starts his contract clock. I don’t see them wasting a contract year on an injured player that will only play half a season and would be entering the pro’s at the same time others are in mid-season form.

I don’t see any angle that makes sense for him to play AHL.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Potentially playing against grown men in the second best hockey league in the World vs playing Junior against teenagers? I’m thinking the chances are pretty good he plays against Juniors. He isn’t a first round pick. There are no politics surrounding the handling of the prospect at all. He is a long term play. Adding him to the AHL roster also starts his contract clock. I don’t see them wasting a contract year on an injured player that will only play half a season and would be entering the pro’s at the same time others are in mid-season form.

I don’t see any angle that makes sense for him to play AHL.
I'm just saying that it is another way of looking at it. They may decide that they want to keep him and observe and limit his interactions. I see them wanting to make sure that the team he plays for takes their time with his redevelopment.

Either way, I really do not see him in a 67 jersey again.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I'm just saying that it is another way of looking at it. They may decide that they want to keep him and observe and limit his interactions. I see them wanting to make sure that the team he plays for takes their time with his redevelopment.

Either way, I really do not see him in a 67 jersey again.

They’d essentially be paying him to rehab and they’d burn a year of his contract.

I could understand that option if he were a top prospect or at least someone they have a significant investment in. The Sens did it with Boucher because he was a 1st round pick and they have a lot invested in him and his future. So, I understand what you are getting at and in certain circumstances, I would agree that would be an option.

However, with Stonehouse, a player like him is a long term play. Long term so far as I can’t see a scenario where he’d play AHL this season no matter what. He isn’t a mature enough player and by mature I mean his skills development. He isn’t particularly big, nor does he skate particularly fast or with agility. He is a decent skater but he needs more time to strengthen the stride and grow into his body to prepare himself for the punishment he is going to take playing the way he plays. I see him in the ECHL even next season.

The Oilers took a flyer on him as a pest. They are clearly hoping he can gain some skill development and strength. Rehabbing the shoulder holds him back from adding muscle on the upper body and core. He is essentially losing a full offseason of strength training on his upper half.

I do agree we have likely seen the last of Stonehouse and I do agree that the Oilers will be taking a vested interest in his rehab. He likely won’t rehab with the 67’s. Even if he does come back to Ottawa, it won’t be for long. If he returns in December, it doesnt’ give him a ot of time in a 67’s jersey anyway but he may play a few games as a showcasing? Who knows.

But, I think generally speaking we are on the same page with respect to the direction of this team. It is just a matter of waiting on the personnel decisions that will impact the roster. First, we will see the Import status. Then we will see the OA status. After that, things fall into place better. Then we will wait ont he deadline and see how deep the cuts get.

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Stonehouse will probably enjoy coming back healthy - in hindsight, you can clearly see how that shoulder was limiting him last year. Give him points for courage and all, but he wasn't nearly the player he was the year before. He's young and this is only his first surgery - the ones that worry you are the situations like Josh Norris, where he is now on surgery number three and there are legit questions about his career.

Also, before we design trades, it's important to remember that the 67's organization values leadership, tradition and treating players right - if Brady Stonehouse wants to finish his OHL career as a member of the 67's, my guess is that they accommodate him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Stonehouse will probably enjoy coming back healthy - in hindsight, you can clearly see how that shoulder was limiting him last year. Give him points for courage and all, but he wasn't nearly the player he was the year before. He's young and this is only his first surgery - the ones that worry you are the situations like Josh Norris, where he is now on surgery number three and there are legit questions about his career.

Also, before we design trades, it's important to remember that the 67's organization values leadership, tradition and treating players right - if Brady Stonehouse wants to finish his OHL career as a member of the 67's, my guess is that they accommodate him.

Good points for sure. I also sort of agree about Stonehouse getting his wish but I do think Edmonton will also weigh in a bit. I don’t think the NHL organizations speak to the Junior teams but I do think they speak with the agents and the agent acts upon it by discussing “what is best for the player.”

It will be interesting to see how everything with the OAs shakes down. It is not often when an Ottawa 67’s team has as many as six viable OHL calibre OA’s. I don’t think the decisions will be based solely on on-ice impact. I think trade value and dressing room will also be seriously considered, but that is simply speculation on my part.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
OMG, I fully agree with what you are saying. As to burning a year on a contract and having to pay, would not part of the year be covered by insurance?

As to what Stonehouse wants, I tend to think that if he is returned, he will have had a couple of games in the AHL, possibly ECHL, as they are at no cost to the team, and it will give them an idea of how his shoulder is before subjecting him to the OHL grind.

I am guessing that we will start the season with

MacK
Gerrior
Sirman/Mayich depends on trade that can be made
Stonehouse

The question then could be who do we release or have sat in the stands to give Stonehouse ice time, or who does trade if we are going to keep him?

@Larionov is correct in that the team tends to try to do what is best and show loyalty. The challenge is that all 4 of these guys have been great team players.

I also have to question DC on playing hurt and damaged Stonehouse so much and not using other options.

I think that a lot more needs to be done with this team, and it must be an interesting summer for Boyd, the players' agents, and their parents.

Returning LW

Pinelli stays until at least the deadline
Gerrior depends on if we get an offer or Stonehouse comes back
Barlas depends on offers and if Gerrior goes
Yanni young you can not move him he will be good with Whitehead
Hilton My pick for the surprise player going into this season
Houben needs to play on a competitive team could be interesting but
Allain - could be a surprise but think he needs a year CCHL

Looking at this the questions are

When is a good time to trade Pinelli Will we get a better ofer at the deadline or now and which would be better for a developing team

Who has more of an upside, Gerrior or Barlas? I think one of them has to go before camp opens and definitely before the season starts.

How much more coordination and size can Hilton put on over the summer? Imagine a PP with him on the ice in front of the goalie LOL

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
OMG, I fully agree with what you are saying. As to burning a year on a contract and having to pay, would not part of the year be covered by insurance?

As to what Stonehouse wants, I tend to think that if he is returned, he will have had a couple of games in the AHL, possibly ECHL, as they are at no cost to the team, and it will give them an idea of how his shoulder is before subjecting him to the OHL grind.

MacK
Gerrior
Stonehouse

The question then could be who do we release or have sat in the stands to give Stonehouse ice time, or who does trade if we are going to keep him?

@Larionov is correct in that the team tends to try to do what is best and show loyalty. The challenge is that all 4 of these guys have been great team players.

I also have to question DC on playing hurt and damaged Stonehouse so much and not using other options.

I think that a lot more needs to be done with this team, and it must be an interesting summer for Boyd, the players' agents, and their parents.

Returning LW

When is a good time to trade Pinelli Will we get a better ofer at the deadline or now and which would be better for a developing team

Who has more of an upside, Gerrior or Barlas? I think one of them has to go before camp opens and definitely before the season starts.

How much more coordination and size can Hilton put on over the summer? Imagine a PP with him on the ice in front of the goalie LOL

WOW. A lot to break down:

1> Anything is possible but I don’t think any of the arguments for Stonehouse staying in pro hockey this year hold up. Regarding DC playing him, I imagine it was a situation where he wasn’t going to injure it more than it already was and they wanted to get Stonehouse at 60% rather than no Stonehouse at all.
2> Loyalty. The Management needs to be loyal to the team first and I think they have a duty to do what is best for the team. A lot of the time what is best for the team is treating the players with respect. I am sure if they make a trade, it will be the right choice for the team first and the player second.
3> I’m not concerned about depth charts to be honest. Players that are good will get ice time. They will find a way to get it. Whether it is at RW or somewhere else, they will get it.
4> Pinelli. There likely a few other 19 year old LW available at or near the deadline that I think will be ahead of Pinelli. I don’t think Pinelli will be anyone’s first choice with Romani out there. If Michael Misa becomes available, it may start to get difficult for Ottawa to get their hands on a 1st rounder in the Pinelli deal (depending on demonstrated performance in the first half)
5> Barlas has a Gold Education package. I’d think if Ottawa is selling players at the deadline, they will want to be able to acquire 1st round picks if possible. They will need the education package room.
6> Ottawa doesn’t play a PP with the puck coming to the point and slam away. I’m not sure the old school “park a big guy in front to jam in pucks” is the way Ottawa will approach the PP. I hope the best for Hilton. I’d rather he turn out to be our version of Roobroek down the road but I’m not sure he’s that guy. I hope he is but I am not counting on it. But, I agree he needs an opportunity.

Reactions: beastintheeast

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022

MacK
Gerrior
Stonehouse

Returning LW

Pinelli will not be going anywhere until the deadline that is more than obvious to me. And if Ottawa is a top 5 team in the east he likely doesn’t go at all.

Gerrior will be back I can guarantee it

Yanni is very small & not much strength will be a 4th line player at best this year for another year

Houben will not even be in discussions in my opinion

Hilton i believe you somehow see a different player in him than most. He has no speed skating is below average, shot is nothing impressive and doesn’t have much for hands, all he has showed last year is he has some size

Who having more updside between Gerrior & Barlas doesn’t really matter, different ages & Gerrior can play both sides & Barlas can also play the middle, I don’t think these two are fighting for each others jobs although I don’t think Barlas starts the season in Ottawa

Reactions: frontsfan67

AGranderson

Nov 20, 2022
My 24/25 season opening roster

Pinelli-/Gardiner-/Gerrior (OA)
Foster-/Dever/-/Uronen
Korbler-/Whitehead-/Horner
Yanni-/Amidovski-/Kelly

Perrier
Stonehouse (OA)

Mayich(OA)-/ Mews
Marelli-/Dietsch
Brady-/Bonomo

Eshkawkogan

MacK (OA)
Nelson

Trade or sent to Jr
Hilton Jr
Michelone Jr
Houben Jr
Barlas Trade
Sirman Trade
Smyth Trade

Reactions: Section5Petes

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Pinelli will not be going anywhere until the deadline that is more than obvious to me. And if Ottawa is a top 5 team in the east he likely doesn’t go at all.

Gerrior will be back I can guarantee it

Yanni is very small & not much strength will be a 4th line player at best this year for another year

Houben will not even be in discussions in my opinion

Hilton i believe you somehow see a different player in him than most. He has no speed skating is below average, shot is nothing impressive and doesn’t have much for hands, all he has showed last year is he has some size

Who having more updside between Gerrior & Barlas doesn’t really matter, different ages & Gerrior can play both sides & Barlas can also play the middle, I don’t think these two are fighting for each others jobs although I don’t think Barlas starts the season in Ottawa
I agree on Pinelli not going before the deadline, although, as I have stated with Stonehouse, there are other options that are less likely but could be in play. I think that no matter where we are in the standings, Pineli will be traded if a good offer is forthcoming.

I agree on Gerrior coming back, but as I asked, what happens if, or more likely, when Stonehouse comes back?

Yanni, I do not see it. He is actually taller and bigger than Pinelli . I think he will compete with Hilton for the third line . He showed last year when he came up that he could compete.

Hilton is a big kid. Big kids usually take a little longer to gain coordination. Also, he was a rookie last year who got little ice time. I am looking at him now that he has had a year and probably got passed in the NHL draft to come out and prove people wrong.

I agree with @OMG67 that Barlas is going to be hard to trade with the uni package as he is not what I would call a candidate to be traded for a 1st round pick unless it is an underperforming player and we really do not need them.

Houben I agree may or may not be at camp but unless there is a HUGE change I do not see him making the team he is more a candidate to play CCHL

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I think if we received a 3rd and 4th for Barlas, that would be a win. I don’t think we’d get a 2nd in that deal.

Houben is an outsider for sure. Keep in mind that although Hilton was a rookie last year, he was a 17 year old. He comes in as an 18 year old this year. IF he doesn’t nail down a starting spot on the roster to start the year, we likely won’t see him back. They won’t use a card on him.

A lot can change over one summer for these kids. This is why I hold back on assessments of the younger kids this early. Yanni could come back 3 inches taller and 15-20 pounds heavier or he could come back with no change in dimensions at all. Until we see them at training camp, I think it is disingenuous to try to cookie cutter the younger guys.

Overall, I agree with @AGranderson. I think his predictions are likely more realistic. I think Amidovski may end up with a bigger role as a winger in his rookie year rather than lessor minutes centring the 4th line. I sense they would prefer to get him quality ice in the second hal on a good centre’s wing. Maybe this is where the Pinelli deal pays dividends? Amidovski moves up into his role in the top 6?

I don’t see Ottawa in the top 5. They may get off to a good start because of preparation but I think by the time we hit December, a lot of the deficiencies will be evident. The gap between Ottawa and the top 2-3 teams will be rather wide. The one caveat to that is if MacK stands on his head and steals games on the regular. I think that would need to happen.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I think if we received a 3rd and 4th for Barlas, that would be a win. I don’t think we’d get a 2nd in that deal.

Houben is an outsider for sure. Keep in mind that although Hilton was a rookie last year, he was a 17 year old. He comes in as an 18 year old this year. IF he doesn’t nail down a starting spot on the roster to start the year, we likely won’t see him back. They won’t use a card on him.

A lot can change over one summer for these kids. This is why I hold back on assessments of the younger kids this early. Yanni could come back 3 inches taller and 15-20 pounds heavier or he could come back with no change in dimensions at all. Until we see them at training camp, I think it is disingenuous to try to cookie cutter the younger guys.

Overall, I agree with @AGranderson. I think his predictions are likely more realistic. I think Amidovski may end up with a bigger role as a winger in his rookie year rather than lessor minutes centring the 4th line. I sense they would prefer to get him quality ice in the second hal on a good centre’s wing. Maybe this is where the Pinelli deal pays dividends? Amidovski moves up into his role in the top 6?

I don’t see Ottawa in the top 5. They may get off to a good start because of preparation but I think by the time we hit December, a lot of the deficiencies will be evident. The gap between Ottawa and the top 2-3 teams will be rather wide. The one caveat to that is if MacK stands on his head and steals games on the regular. I think that would need to happen.
I still do not see a place on this team for Uronen. Unless Vegas signs him, I think he will go back to Europe and play in the men's league.

If we move Amidovski to the wing, which is not a bad move, then who do we pencil in as the fourth center?

In order to fill the center position, I think we have to let Uronen go and try to get a 17-year-old center who wants to show the scouts what he has.

Hilton, Yanni, Whitehead Foster Dietsch and Pinelli should come into camp meaner and bigger than last year.

Perrier will only stay until Foster and/or Pinelli are cut by the NHL teams. Then, he needs to go to a CCHL team so that he gets ice time and is close if needed. The same goes for Petrov and Hill.

Depending on what trades Boyd makes, I can see this team fighting for a playoff spot, which, to me, would not be a bad thing.

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
Worth noting as a 20yo Stonehouse’s contract doesn’t slide. The first year of his deal is be used this year, his minors salary isn’t a factor so the only question is what’s best for his development. Rehab should be done at pro level and then go from there.

The team couldn’t give Barlas away at the moment, get the most out of him as a 19 yo mentor for the young guys at this point.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Going to be an interesting start to the season

17-20 OCT Niag Brampton home to Barrie
24-27 Oct Northern swing
22-24 Nov SAR WIN LDN

I think we will have a good idea of what we have by Christmas and will have half of the Western games done by the deadline.

I realize that we have a 3 in 3 to end the season on the rod but I think by then it will not matter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad