Ottawa 67's 2023-2024 Off-Season Thread (Part 2)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Well with Dietsch out a while our D to start the year looks like this...my suggested pairings
Mayich/Mews
Marelli/Brady
Sirman/Eshkawkogan

Nice balance L/R
Put Mayich with Mews and unleash him offensively. I'd put Sirman on third pairing to protect Esh. Marelli/ Brady should be solid as I liked Brady last year.

gadder

Oct 15, 2023
A good scrimmage today with a mixed bag of players. My take on the expected young'uns:
- Eshkawkogan is a very good skater and puck handler. He may have a surprisingly good rookie season if he can handle the physicality
- Brady looks ready for a top four spot, initially
- Hilton and Houben are big lads but a little slow. Hilton showed some nice hands on a goal- progress.

I sure would like to see someone with a splash of playmaking skill; Dever ain't it. Lets hope the Swedish kid has it 'cause otherwise...

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Well with Dietsch out a while our D to start the year looks like this...my suggested pairings
Mayich/Mews
Marelli/Brady
Sirman/Eshkawkogan

Nice balance L/R
Put Mayich with Mews and unleash him offensively. I'd put Sirman on third pairing to protect Esh. Marelli/ Brady should be solid as I liked Brady last year.

It will be tough because they will need to rotate the OAs. I doubt they get the two D-men in every game. They need to find another D-Man.

Reactions: sirius67fan

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
It will be tough because they will need to rotate the OAs. I doubt they get the two D-men in every game. They need to find another D-Man.
Yeah we are short on depth on D for now. Yes we probably should add a D or does Horner play some D when one of the Oa's sits? Really liked him on the wing though! Or do they trade Mac so that Mayich/Sirman play every game??

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah we are short on depth on D for now. Yes we probably should add a D or does Horner play some D when one of the Oa's sits? Really liked him on the wing though! Or do they trade Mac so that Mayich/Sirman play every game??

Gonna be a wait and see approach I think. They will likely make do with what they have. I was thinking someone from camp makes the team at least in the interim?

Keep in mind, first game is still a month away. Dietsch may be ready by then.

BarberPole9

Nov 3, 2013
Ottawa
Yeah we are short on depth on D for now. Yes we probably should add a D or does Horner play some D when one of the Oa's sits? Really liked him on the wing though! Or do they trade Mac so that Mayich/Sirman play every game
Sirman is a heck of a player. If he and Mayich stick as OA’s and join with a Mews, Marrelli, an improved Brady and Eshkawkogan as a 6th D 1st rounder, it would form an impressive D corps. Dietsch will be a nice addition when healthy and hopefully they can find another good player in camp.

I’m more curious about playmaking forwards beyond Pinelli, Foster and Ekberg. Hopefully a few make the jump this year.

Reactions: sirius67fan

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Sirman is a heck of a player. If he and Mayich stick as OA’s and join with a Mews, Marrelli, an improved Brady and Eshkawkogan as a 6th D 1st rounder, it would form an impressive D corps. Dietsch will be a nice addition when healthy and hopefully they can find another good player in camp.

I’m more curious about playmaking forwards beyond Pinelli, Foster and Ekberg. Hopefully a few make the jump this year.

The team may be more capable as a mucker type team. Get it deep, cycle and come off the boards. They will struggle against the top teams but may be able to handle the weak half of the league?

And if they can keep their goals against down, they may be ok.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
The team may be more capable as a mucker type team. Get it deep, cycle and come off the boards. They will struggle against the top teams but may be able to handle the weak half of the league?

And if they can keep their goals against down, they may be ok.
Glad to see my 2 big boys are doing well LOL

This is going to have to be a team that practices more defence than offence. Unless a miracle happens, we do not have the firepower to get into run-and-gun games.

The fact that Mack is not playing tells me that they really want to see if they have a 3rd goalie that maybe they can bring in to back up Nelson.

If you are rotating OA the only way you can rotate MacK is to have a 3rd goalie.

As for defence, I really think that they will try to keep the 2 for a while, but one of Mayich or Sirman is going to have to go.

Mayich would bring a better return possibly so he would be my choice.

Hilton if he can get the feet moving will be a good player on PP just put him in front of the net LOL.
The challenge we have is still too many LW what is the status of Barlas?

Who are the centers on these lines that are practicing.

That is the big question?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Glad to see my 2 big boys are doing well LOL

This is going to have to be a team that practices more defence than offence. Unless a miracle happens, we do not have the firepower to get into run-and-gun games.

The fact that Mack is not playing tells me that they really want to see if they have a 3rd goalie that maybe they can bring in to back up Nelson.

If you are rotating OA the only way you can rotate MacK is to have a 3rd goalie.

As for defence, I really think that they will try to keep the 2 for a while, but one of Mayich or Sirman is going to have to go.

Mayich would bring a better return possibly so he would be my choice.

Hilton if he can get the feet moving will be a good player on PP just put him in front of the net LOL.
The challenge we have is still too many LW what is the status of Barlas?

Who are the centers on these lines that are practicing.

That is the big question?

I did like Hilton in the 3v3. He did seem a little more awkward in the full ice which was odd. More space for him to move. His hands were good in both. His breakaway goal was pretty sweet. Nice move on the tender.

I agree about the goaltending situation. It really looks like they are either trying to find a #3 or they do like a few guys and they want to see more of them. They really need a 3rd goalie, even if it is just to get them on an affiliate card. If they keep the player to under 10 games, they can keep a full card in hand. Hayden Duncan stood out for me.

The OA situation is what it is. I think the market is dictating this situation more so than the needs of the roster. They will just need to roll with the punches.

The way Brampton and Barrie have gone after it, I imagine both are now all in. OShawa is simply waiting to make sure Roobroeck and Ritchie return. If they do, we could see the generals make some moves, although, I do think their moves will be far more measured and less reckless. Kingston is going to make a push. IMO, if the other three make a push, Kingston is only doing it because they have a bunch of older players. Their roster simply will not measure up to the other three. Sucks to be them wasting all those assets for nothing.

That likely means the top 4 spots are taken. Where does Ottawa fit in after that? Well, it all depends on what North Bay and Sudbury do compared to Ottawa. All three could sell so who knows? I know there has been some positive talk in Peterborough and Niagara but without any of the three I mentioned selling heavily, I cannot see either the Dogs or Petes having a strong chance at playoffs.

All this to say that nothing much has really changed in the land of barber poles. Gardiner is out and Boyd will likely try to find an inexpensive centre if no one stands up to take control. Exhibition game in Kingston on Sunday. I Amy make the trek down to kill some time on the long weekend. It wold be good if Ekberg were int he lineup but it doesn’t look like he will be.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Eshkawkogan says he is 13 pounds heavier than he was at the summer development camp. That should get him over 170 which is good. Says he’s a little taller as well but he was slightly under 5’9” so I imagine he is still under 5’10” but that’s fine if he can get up to 175 before the season starts.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
I did like Hilton in the 3v3. He did seem a little more awkward in the full ice which was odd. More space for him to move. His hands were good in both. His breakaway goal was pretty sweet. Nice move on the tender.

I agree about the goaltending situation. It really looks like they are either trying to find a #3 or they do like a few guys and they want to see more of them. They really need a 3rd goalie, even if it is just to get them on an affiliate card. If they keep the player to under 10 games, they can keep a full card in hand. Hayden Duncan stood out for me.

The OA situation is what it is. I think the market is dictating this situation more so than the needs of the roster. They will just need to roll with the punches.

The way Brampton and Barrie have gone after it, I imagine both are now all in. OShawa is simply waiting to make sure Roobroeck and Ritchie return. If they do, we could see the generals make some moves, although, I do think their moves will be far more measured and less reckless. Kingston is going to make a push. IMO, if the other three make a push, Kingston is only doing it because they have a bunch of older players. Their roster simply will not measure up to the other three. Sucks to be them wasting all those assets for nothing.

That likely means the top 4 spots are taken. Where does Ottawa fit in after that? Well, it all depends on what North Bay and Sudbury do compared to Ottawa. All three could sell so who knows? I know there has been some positive talk in Peterborough and Niagara but without any of the three I mentioned selling heavily, I cannot see either the Dogs or Petes having a strong chance at playoffs.

All this to say that nothing much has really changed in the land of barber poles. Gardiner is out and Boyd will likely try to find an inexpensive centre if no one stands up to take control. Exhibition game in Kingston on Sunday. I Amy make the trek down to kill some time on the long weekend. It wold be good if Ekberg were int he lineup but it doesn’t look like he will be.
I tend to agree with you. When it is all said and done, I think there will be 2 battles this year.

The first will be for 1-4 and the other will be to see who makes the playoffs.

I don't know much about the Petes, but I never sell them short. Niagara, with its players and stable coaching, should be in the mix and looking at making the playoffs.

Ottawa has a lot of unknowns, the biggest one being what happens to Pinelli and or Mews.

There are too many unkowns at this stge to really say who will do what but I think after training camp we might see some more movement.

I notice no one has mentioned any of the returning players. How does Barlas look. Who are they using for centers right now?

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brampton trades Leenders and picks up a backup ‘06 for a 4th and 6th pick. As mentioned, finding a backup on the open market isn’t difficult. If Ottawa were to move MacK at some point, it shouldn’t be an issue provided NElson proves a capable starter that can handle 65% of the games.

sirius67fan

Jul 20, 2013
Went to scrimmage this pm. The kids looked tired ( 3rd scrimmage in1 1/2 days. Play was disjointed and skill level was poor overall adide from Pinelli/ Mews. A few thoughts
1- Barlas was absent, not sure why as was there yesterday
2 - tried to focus on the rookies. Amidovsky looked good, good frame, good stride. Esh looked very comfy with the puck on his stick aside from one booboo that led to a breakaway). Very fluid skater. Should adapt well to the speed of the O but will likely struggle with the physicality initially. Perrier looked ok, good skater but didn't strike me as ohl ready yet. Bonono was more mobile than I expected.
3- one guy who caught my eye was Julien Davis who was an 11th rounder this year ( had to look it up). Big kid who skated well and had some jam.
4- Whitehead still skates like the wind but his hands don't seem to have caught up yet. Also doesn't seem much bigger than last year. Was a tad disapointed today ( as made a point to watch him) but it's one session.
5- Hilton/Houben did not stand out and only realized it when I got home.
6- Nelson looked calm and solid in one period of play
So all in all did not see anything overly exciting today. Be interesting to see who sticks by tomorrow.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Brampton trades Leenders and picks up a backup ‘06 for a 4th and 6th pick. As mentioned, finding a backup on the open market isn’t difficult. If Ottawa were to move MacK at some point, it shouldn’t be an issue provided NElson proves a capable starter that can handle 65% of the games.
Congrats on the Leenders trade. Will see if it works out for them LOL

The trouble with MacK is health and would he be happy being numdeer 2 on another team?

Nelson's play may be good but unles they have a back up that canhandle the games then they need to keep MacK.

I would rather see Nelsom play fewer games up to the deadline and keep MacK than go into the year with a backup that is not ready.

Then again if they think that they need Sirman and Mayich he might be the odd man out.

Mann has already gotten his line up down to the players that made the team so it will be interesting to see how they match up

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Who is going to NHL rookie camps this year?

Also, how long can we hold the rights to Stonehouse and have it not affect our OA situation?

I see Perrier signed his commitment. I just think that he would be better served in the CCHL and not dressed with the 67's 4th line. We know how little that line develops.

Letting him play in the CCHL will develop his skills and he can always practice with the team.

Last edited:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Who is going to NHL rookie camps this year?

Also, how long can we hold the rights to Stonehouse and have it not affect our OA situation?

I see Perrier signed his commitment. I just think that he would be better served in the CCHL and not dressed with the 67's 4th line. We know how little that line develops.

Letting him play in the CCHL will develop his skills and he can always practice with the team.

A few notes…

1> I believe we can active roster FOUR OA’s but can protect as many as we want through around mid-November. Someone that knows the exact rule and dates would be better at answering it but I am pretty sure I have the main parts of that correct. That means we can active roster four and keep Stonehouse (and others) on the roster until either he is reassigned to Ottawa or until the first OA deadline in November. He is supposed to be out until December so if I am correct, the 67’s wouldn’t need to make any decisions until the November deadline. At that point I believe they need to be down to four total. All others not traded would be waived. If I remember correctly, that is what happened with Josh Bloom last year. He was waived through the league in November. Then he was reassigned to the OHL and signed as a free agent with Saginaw.
2> All rookies (or players that have not played 10 games) are not assigned player cards. They are all affiliate players until they play 10 games. Once they play ten games, they get assigned full cards. Each team gets 30 cards. Although Perrier is signed, roster depth needs and his impact will determine whether he sticks with the 67’s. I am not sure how everything will unfold. As of right now, I cannot see Perrier getting a spot. I think both Hilton and Houben will get an opportunity. But, the 67’s will need to manage cards so with Houben, they will need to manage his games and make a decision one way or the other quickly. Hilton already has a card so as soon as he plays his first regular season game, his card activates.
3> If MacK gets traded, he will go to a team to be a starter. An OA backup is virtually worthless on the trade market. So, there is no sense trading MacK to be a backup. They’d be lucky to get a 6th round pick for him in that situation.
4> Loads of kids are going to rookie camps. At least 10, probably 12. The 67’s have a gap in the schedule between Sept 7 and 19th. Most teams start their rookie camps the week of the 10th so those camps will be done before the 3rd exhibition game.
5> I think the Nelson/MacK situation will be resolved but it will come down to two things. First, what is best for Nelson. Whatever is best for him and his development, they will do. If it looks like he needs backup time for a whole season, let him find his way, then MacK stays the full season as the starter. If he looks solid and ready to carry the load, maybe they look to find a landing spot for MacK but I think him being traded is probably not in the cards. I think there may be a slight outside chance but a lot needs to fall in line for that to happen.
6> Defence. I think it would be easier to find a reasonably cheap D-Man to help fill a gap to help get the 67’s down to 3OA’s. I think MacK, Gerrior, and one of Sirman or Mayich will end up being the three post deadline. I think Stonehouse gets traded. That is the sense I have right now. I think the style of game Stonehouse plays will make him a bit of a target for a contending team. Maybe not the top flight teams but one that wants to be very competitive.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
down to 15F-7D-3G on ohl website pre season roster

It is a pretty disappointing roster to be honest. No one stood out enough to sign. Unfortunate!

I doubt Michelone is actually with the team but he may be to start the exhibition season. I fully expect him gone by the time the seasons starts….unless there is something wrong with MacKenzie that is holding him back.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Yeah I really do not see Michelone lasting into the season.

What has Barlas looked like.
It is tough to assess returning players because they typically don’t play at 100%. They will start to ramp it up in the exhibition games and be at 100% to start the season.

We also need to remember that the returning players are typically much higher level than the younger guys that fill out the training camp. So, not only do they have to play with linemates that aren’t OHL capable but they play against players that aren’t OHL capable. Some marginal OHL players look like superstars if they go all out in training camp only to fall back to reality once the regular season starts.

I wouldn’t worry about what we are seeing from the vets in training camp. Training camp is there mostly to hopefully unearth a gem you drafted one of the two years before in hopes they have developed into a real contributor. This is why I am somewhat deflated that not one single player that wasn’t either a returning player or a signed player or a top 3 picked player in this summer’s draft. So, basically all of the slam dunk players advanced and no young players took their spots. That concerns me.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
It is tough to assess returning players because they typically don’t play at 100%. They will start to ramp it up in the exhibition games and be at 100% to start the season.

We also need to remember that the returning players are typically much higher level than the younger guys that fill out the training camp. So, not only do they have to play with linemates that aren’t OHL capable but they play against players that aren’t OHL capable. Some marginal OHL players look like superstars if they go all out in training camp only to fall back to reality once the regular season starts.

I wouldn’t worry about what we are seeing from the vets in training camp. Training camp is there mostly to hopefully unearth a gem you drafted one of the two years before in hopes they have developed into a real contributor. This is why I am somewhat deflated that not one single player that wasn’t either a returning player or a signed player or a top 3 picked player in this summer’s draft. So, basically all of the slam dunk players advanced and no young players took their spots. That concerns me.
My wonder is if he is showing anything.

As to the drafted players really you have to consider tht a lot of those guys played on the team last year.

I think Sunday is going to be interesting to see what each team looks like as they have both pretty well gotten to their playing line up

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
My wonder is if he is showing anything.

As to the drafted players really you have to consider tht a lot of those guys played on the team last year.

I think Sunday is going to be interesting to see what each team looks like as they have both pretty well gotten to their playing line up

Ekberg isn’t with the team. Dietsch is injured. MacKenzie hasn’t played and they have Michelone on the roster which likely means they have no intention of playing MacK. I don’t think Sunday will show us anything at all. If they dress Michelone, they can’t dress one of the skater OA’s.

I don’t think the measuring stick for Ottawa gets pulled out until the September 20th game.

Amidovski, Eskawkigan, and Perrier did not. Nelson, Dietsch, Houben and Yanni played as affiliate players with some minor spot duty. Ekberg hasn’t even entered the country. That is eight guys that are full on rookies. Then you have Hilton who dressed for about half the games but played sparingly. Same with Whitehead even though he dressed for almost the entire season. There were games I don’t think he stepped on the ice. So there are ten guys that are rookies for all intents and purposes out of 24 (I am excluding Michelone in those numbers).

The one answer you have now is the OA Situation. They have FIVE guys on the active roster right now. That doesn’t include Stonehouse. So, we know they can have more than four ont he active roster.

BUT, you are correct that the playing roster right now is the one they start the season with except I think it needs to get down to 23. Michelone will likely be one cut provided MacKenzie is healthy. Probably Perrier will be the other. Maybe Houben but I think they will give the two big kids a strong look.

beastintheeast

Mar 27, 2013
Ekberg isn’t with the team. Dietsch is injured. MacKenzie hasn’t played and they have Michelone on the roster which likely means they have no intention of playing MacK. I don’t think Sunday will show us anything at all. If they dress Michelone, they can’t dress one of the skater OA’s.

I don’t think the measuring stick for Ottawa gets pulled out until the September 20th game.

Amidovski, Eskawkigan, and Perrier did not. Nelson, Dietsch, Houben and Yanni played as affiliate players with some minor spot duty. Ekberg hasn’t even entered the country. That is eight guys that are full on rookies. Then you have Hilton who dressed for about half the games but played sparingly. Same with Whitehead even though he dressed for almost the entire season. There were games I don’t think he stepped on the ice. So there are ten guys that are rookies for all intents and purposes out of 24 (I am excluding Michelone in those numbers).

The one answer you have now is the OA Situation. They have FIVE guys on the active roster right now. That doesn’t include Stonehouse. So, we know they can have more than four ont he active roster.

BUT, you are correct that the playing roster right now is the one they start the season with except I think it needs to get down to 23. Michelone will likely be one cut provided MacKenzie is healthy. Probably Perrier will be the other. Maybe Houben but I think they will give the two big kids a strong look.
Kingston is in the same boat. But the plaeyrs that they ice are just as you said probably minus a player or 2 the players they will start with. For the rookies, this is their first chance in a game situation against another team, so they should tell a little something.

If I was Hilton and Houben I would go out and hit anything that moved near the corners. showing that they can use their size unlike last year.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Ottawa will basically be short their first line. Probably their starting goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad