Confirmed Trade: [OTT/STL] Zach Sanford for Logan Brown and cond. 2022 4th

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
I don't understand... why didn't they just play Brown...?

They wanted to. A combination of injuries and sulking resulted in him seeing one NHL game. There was a path for him to become a full time NHLer last season after seeing 23 NHL games the season prior, he just never seized the opportunity. The skills are obvious and I really believed in the player but when he did play hockey last season, it was disappointing to see the lack of effort. Troy Mann's comments are pretty telling of the attitude he had last season. Hopefully a change of scenery will get his career on path but he needs to make a commitment to the process. It would be a shame to see a player with his skill level amount to little.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Nice trade for Ottawa. Got an NHL 3rd liner for a Bust. I’m shocked Ottawa got value for Brown. Well done.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
Will Brown play in the NHL is the more relevant question. Probably not.
maybe.. maybe not. I would believe he'll get a chance

he's a lottery ticket for sure, and STL gets over 1m in cap space with the trade (essential for fitting RobThom's contract in)

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I think it's a decent deal honestly. Brown was likely worth a late round pick at this point and Sanford likely has similar value. Brown has more upside but hasn't proved a thing yet and time is ticking, Sanford is a 4rth line guy who can score 10-15 goals.

It's a good bet for the Blues, worst case they waive Brown and are cap compliant. Sens could use an extra forward and needed to spend a little to get to the cap. Brown asked for a trade IIRC so it's all very logical.

Moose and Squirrel

Jan 15, 2021
I think it's a decent deal honestly. Brown was likely worth a late round pick at this point and Sanford likely has similar value. Brown has more upside but hasn't proved a thing yet and time is ticking, Sanford is a 4rth line guy who can score 10-15 goals.

It's a good bet for the Blues, worst case they waive Brown and are cap compliant. Sens could use an extra forward and needed to spend a little to get to the cap. Brown asked for a trade IIRC so it's all very logical.
you sir, or madam, can stop being reasonable and show yourself out the door

Memento

Future Authoress.
Sep 12, 2011
St. Louis, Missouri
Who wins this trade?

Blues, in my honest opinion. The Blues could get a real contributor in Brown; if not, then they get a fourth round pick, which isn't a bad asset for a team who needs draft picks. And they also become cap compliant with this, so they win in that regard as well.

As for the Sens, Sanford is who he is. He's talented and can play on the penalty kill adequately, but he'll be twenty-seven in November, and nothing's going to improve his lack of hockey IQ. They could flip him for an asset, but I don't think it'll be much.

If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out on it.

Reactions: Moose and Squirrel

BurgoShark

Jul 1, 2004
Gold Coast
Blues, in my honest opinion. The Blues could get a real contributor in Brown; if not, then they get a fourth round pick, which isn't a bad asset for a team who needs draft picks. And they also become cap compliant with this, so they win in that regard as well.

As for the Sens, Sanford is who he is. He's talented and can play on the penalty kill adequately, but he'll be twenty-seven in November, and nothing's going to improve his lack of hockey IQ. They could flip him for an asset, but I don't think it'll be much.

If I'm wrong, feel free to call me out on it.

I think Ottawa are happy with this also - so win/win really. Brown’s relationship with the management in Ottawa was beyond repair, and moving on from the drama is addition by subtraction. Adding a useful bottom 6 and PK player is a bonus.

The only “downside” for Ottawa is if Brown turns it around. In that case we’ll see a bazillion posts on here about how Ottawa gave up on him - but I think most Ottawa fans would be happy for the player if he finds success elsewhere. It just wasn’t going to happen in Ottawa, and if a trade is the kick in the pants he needed - good for him.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I recall San Jose fans talking smack about Demelo saying he was their worst D when he came to Ottawa, I'll judge when I see Sanford play because I really don't know anything about him. I do know that Logan Brown has looked like the most unmotivated young prospect to ever try to make an NHL team. Deal is underwhelming because Brown was a 1st rounder, but its fitting as he has been underwhelming since being drafted. He'll never make an impact in the NHL and no one will ever talk about this trade in 2 years.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
I think his effort issues are mostly compounded by his playstyle and his footspeed. I don't think he's any lazier than a majority of NHL players, but I agree that he LOOKS a lot lazier out there. Does that make sense?

When he pushes himself he can have a good top-speed. He doesn't have a skating issue that limits him, he's just a big guy who takes a while to get up to speed. When he wants to, he can catch some guys with his long stick and long stride. I saw it today in the scrimmage against Connor Brown. He is NOT quick footed though. Guys get around him, guys beat him to pucks constantly, and he can't chase someone down unless he really pushes himself. That's where the effort comes in. If he pushed himself more, he wouldn't get beat to pucks so much. He would also get more zone time offensively and would get pucks out of the defensive zone more.

The other issue is his playstyle. He likes to watch the play and make reads. This works for a slow guy like Mark Stone who gets a ton of turnovers and intercepts passes. Brown doesn't have that same feel for the game and the same anticipation defensively. As a result, he gets beat to pucks, doesn't hustle, and then watches as guys get off good scoring opportunities while he sits there, not moving his feet, looking dumb as hell. If he kept his feet moving, it probably wouldn't change the end result, but it wouldn't look so bad as watching him glide around the defensive zone 1-2 plays behind the puck.

There are guys who work less than Brown but manage due to their playstyle. Guys like Mark Stone. I also think there are also guys who are physical freaks who have insane footspeed for their size who also put in the same effort as Brown, but don't get beat as much and thus it isn't apparent that they aren't working hard. Brown has this trifecta of issues that feed into one another.

On the flipside, offensively, the Brown simply understands what to do like it is second nature. Watching him control the puck off a bad pass. or perfectly timing his zone entry to match another forward is something some guys never master. Offensively the anticipation he has to drive to the net and his instincts are great.

I wish him all the best, hopefully he figures it out, because he still has all the offensive potential in the world.

Reactions: Bye Bye Blueston

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
For three weeks this season, Senators fans will laugh at the Blues for giving up such a great player as Sanford. All the rest of the weeks of the season they will completely understand why the Blues traded him. The key to winning the game is to figure out when those three weeks are going to occur and pray that they coincide with the Playoffs.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
The Blues could get a real contributor in Brown; if not, then they get a fourth round pick, which isn't a bad asset for a team who needs draft picks.
The fourth round pick is removed if he plays 30 games right? Which is no guarantee if he's not productive, I'm really curious to see how he does with a fresh start.

If I was a betting man, I'd guess they're getting the fourth round pick.

RckyMtnBlue

Feb 28, 2014
Trade is a wash but I think logically most fans are looking at Sanfords #'s and thinking well not bad solid...what they don't know is like 90% of those points/stats come in like 4 games. Kid will score 4 goals one game and then coast for a month flopping all over the ice. Only reason why STL wins this trade is because we got under the cap, made room for Kostin, and Brown still has more upside than Sanford... ...Likely neither player does much and nobody remembers this trade

westc2

Nov 2, 2015
St. Louis, MO
Brown will be playing in the minors unless the Blues have a lot of injuries. This was most likely just a cap dump + a favor to Sanford since there's really no room for him in the Blues lineup anymore either.

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Brown will be playing in the minors unless the Blues have a lot of injuries. This was most likely just a cap dump + a favor to Sanford since there's really no room for him in the Blues lineup anymore either.

He’ll be on the roster. Can’t see them waiving him before getting a look, and they need his $750K cap hit to be able to fill out a 23 man team when Sundqvist returns.

I’m honestly expecting this to be the forward group on opening night, barring injuries of course:

O’Reilly, Tarasenko, Buchnevich, Perron, Schenn, Saad, Thomas, Kyrou, Kostin, Bozak, Neal, Barbashev, Brown, and one of Clifford/Frolík(who gets waived when Sunny returns).

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
I think I get the trade but I don't get the timing. Why now?

Because Logan Brown was CLEARLY not going to make the Sens opening night roster. And he was going to have to pass through waivers when he was cut. So while the Blues needed cap space sure - this was literally the Sens last chance to get any value from Brown before he was lost for nothing.

Not sure how this can be seen as anything but a win for the Sens. Unless Brown looked great in camp - which he did not - he was getting waived and then claimed regardless. A waivers-exempt Logan Brown has an entirely different value than him on a one-way contract - I dont think enough people in here are focusing on this key point.

Hes in that perfect sweet spot where he has plenty enough intrigue to get claimed off waivers for free - its a no brainer for a lot of the bottom feeders. But hes a huge question mark for any NHL team to pencil into their roster (ie not worth using any assets to acquire him when the risk that he doesnt deserve an NHL roster spot is so high - and will be lost anyways)..

And that affects his trade value in a big way.

Last edited:

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury

Brown wont be playing in the minors for the Blues... Not sure that you Blues guys all realize the nature of this trade... You dont get the luxury of throwing him into your system and seeing what happens down the road.

He either makes your roster - or like Ottawa, you risk losing him for free (which is a strong possibility) when he passes through waivers at the start of the season. Hell Ottawa could literally even take him right back if he doesnt make your opening night roster (and goes unclaimed up to their spot). Wont happen - but still this doesnt appear to be the asset that you think it is. Theres a lot of layers to it.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
For three weeks this season, Senators fans will laugh at the Blues for giving up such a great player as Sanford. All the rest of the weeks of the season they will completely understand why the Blues traded him. The key to winning the game is to figure out when those three weeks are going to occur and pray that they coincide with the Playoffs.

I think that's in your head bro. Everyone knows what Sanford is.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
The thing with Logan...the kid has hockey vision and hands that would put him in the top 10% of the NHL. His passes and playmaking are a dream. But the kid has absolutely no will to compete at all. He acts like it's a Sunday skate with timbits.

If the Blues can get through to him, then you've got one hell of an asset. He has the skills to play in any teams 2C role, and do very well. But he has to want it.

I do hope he makes it. Kid is fun to watch.

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
Haven't watched Sanford much, but I've been firmly on the side of sens fans who believe he is an NHL player. His injuries have hurt him the most, but he still has a chance to explode and I hope he does it in St. Louis.

My biggest issue with him is how often he plays unmotivated. When he's on, he's ON. But it's not often enough and the injuries only make it worse. Maybe playing for his home town will give him that extra bit of motivation to hit that next level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad