Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
And if those goalies (eg. Vasilevskiy) started his career on say.... Anaheim. Do you think he'd still be considered one of the best goalies of this era?

I guarantee you the answer is a resounding no.

And I'm 99.9% sure that you're right. But, he's still considered "one of the best goalies of this era", so I'm guessing he'd probably have a slightly better chance of achieving the nearly impossible task of putting up great numbers on a bad team than someone who is merely "good".

Reactions: amnesiac

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
you say goaltending, I say defence and coaching.

Cam Talbot.... horrible in Ottawa 22-23, great in LA 23-24. Why do you think that is?

Gustavsson went from a 892 SV% in OTT to a 931 in MIN

Korpisalo had a 911 SV% in CLB, then 921 in LA (11GP).... and then 890 in Ottawa last season.

See the trend?
Talbot put up below average numbers in 22-23 while clearly battling through an injury. But in all honesty he was better than his numbers suggested.

By your metric Gustavsson put up terrible numbers last year, so is it possible his good season was an anomaly

Korpisalo has largely been trash his entire career save for 2 seasons and 1 playoffs, but surely looking at only those seasons is correct. It's evaluations like this which led to Ottawa signing Korpisalo in the first place.

The only trend I see here is you creating a narrative and then cherry picking stats to try and fit your narrative.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Talbot put up below average numbers in 22-23 while clearly battling through an injury. But in all honesty he was better than his numbers suggested.

By your metric Gustavsson put up terrible numbers last year, so is it possible his good season was an anomaly

Korpisalo has largely been trash his entire career save for 2 seasons and 1 playoffs, but surely looking at only those seasons is correct. It's evaluations like this which led to Ottawa signing Korpisalo in the first place.

The only trend I see here is you creating a narrative and then cherry picking stats to try and fit your narrative.
I merely “picked” Ottawas last 3 goalies and showed what they did the year before/after on another team. That’s not cherry picking, that’s a pattern.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
It's more of a thread bump to remember how costly of a mistake it was to go all-in on a goalie with one decent season. Ullmark had a Vezina caliber season then had a massive drop off statistically.

Ullmark is akin to Patrick Lalime, Jim Carey, Jose Theodore. etc. Decent goalie who is getting overpaid for one spectacular season two years ago.
How can you say Linus Ullmark had one great season though? If you only focus on Vezina contention, sure, but he was still averaging 2-2.6gaa with 91Sv% on an average of about 40 games played per year with Buffalo and Boston.

Lalime, Carey and especially Theodore are nowhere near comparable to Ullmark, even factoring in the awards.

Sensatauro

Dec 30, 2012
ITT we have potatoes calling others potatoes. Classic.

This is a win or the Senators. The evidence is in the postings. All the complaints are from Sens rivals who know inside something special is brewing in Ottawa.

Lololol las seven years nothing changes. Sens gonna sen. No context at all about what made the sens sen the last x years.

The new era has begun in earnest this season. This teams on the come up.

I look forward to the bump of this thread

Kegu

Aug 12, 2008
I merely “picked” Ottawas last 3 goalies and showed what they did the year before/after on another team. That’s not cherry picking, that’s a pattern.
But you cherry picked only before / after because it suited your narrative. You have not demonstrated a pattern because of the small sample size, and as soon as you add a larger sample your pattern falls apart.

The Management

Jun 8, 2009
I'm not going to stand for all this potato slander amongst fans of poutine-loving Canadian teams, I tell you what. What will the Americans think?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
It's more of a thread bump to remember how costly of a mistake it was to go all-in on a goalie with one decent season. Ullmark had a Vezina caliber season then had a massive drop off statistically.
One decent season

GAA over last 2 years first
Save % over last 2 years first
GSAA/60 over last 2 years first

But you cherry picked only before / after because it suited your narrative. You have not demonstrated a pattern because of the small sample size, and as soon as you add a larger sample your pattern falls apart.
The king of cherry picking

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Looks at the Swayman deal, "I'll take one of them if you got one".

Sorry pal, we've only got a half length portion. That okay?

"I'll take it".

GRob83

Feb 3, 2010
Swayman is signed for twice as long and has proved half as much.
Hockey Reference has a stat for "RBS - Really Bad Starts".

Last 3 years with the Bruins:
Swayman- 125 starts, 72 Quality Starts, 14 Really Bad Starts
Ullmark- 126 starts, 89 Quality Starts, 7 Really Bad Starts

Reactions: SpezDispenser

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
Given the example you provided, you sure proved that you are.
Says the poster who had a worse cherry pick 😂 with one year provided.

Ullmark is akin to Patrick Lalime, Jim Carey, Jose Theodore. etc. Decent goalie who is getting overpaid for one spectacular season two years ago.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Even if it costs you a million extra in AAV to extend Ullmark later, I think it would have been worth it to wait a few months and see how the fit feels.

Paying him top 5 goalies dollars without seeing him could be a disaster.

Not like waiting would cost you all that much more.

I agree in spirit but I think part of the calculation is that this is going to be top 12 goalie money in a couple years, the way things are going.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
You said one year, I showed you who was number one the last 2 years combined, that’s all I was doing.
Given the numbers Ullmark posted in his Vezina winning season, of course it’s going to slant in his favor. Hence why that one single year appears to be abnormal for him.

Could he repeat that performance in Ottawa? I highly doubt it.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Given the numbers Ullmark posted in his Vezina winning season, of course it’s going to slant in his favor. Hence why that one single year appears to be abnormal for him.

I don't think anyone in Ottawa expects a .938 SV%.

I do think they expect a .915-.920 SV%, which is what he's put up his whole career, on good teams and bad, and would put him solidly in the top 10 (if not top 6 or 7) of the league.

.918% would be the best goaltending Ottawa's had since the heyday of Craig Anderson and probably gets them sniffing around the wildcard or 3rd seed in the Atlantic.

55-60 starts. .915-.920 SV%. If Ottawa gets that, they'll be absolutely giddy and Ullmark will get the key to the city.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpezDispenser

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007

Repeat that? lol, no. I'll be very happy to get steady goaltending and a .915 all year. It's been a minute in Ottawa.

Stutzlaaaa

Dec 18, 2021
For all people*mostly no Sens fans* saying we overpaid yall can suck my big ballz. Mostly are jealous cause now that deal looks like a robbery.
This guys is a legit elite starter in the league, he deserve those 8.25 millions a year .The guy is number 1 for all goalies stats the last two years come on .
8.25 is good price now and later on : cap is rising each year for sure next 4 years.à

Toronto/Habs/Bruins/Wings get the lube ready GOSENGO

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013

ullmarks worst save percentage as an nhler was on buffalo when he had 905%
ullmark has a career average of 918%
ullmark over the last 3 years had 924%

i would take his buffalo save percentage and be alright with it. Thats how bad korpisolo was last year lmao.

Korpisolo had a 890 save percentage last year. He was tied for 46th in that category of goalies that have played more than 25 games. That means there were 14 backup goalies that did better than him as a starter lol. If you just sub in ullmarks worst season for korpisolo last year thats an extra 23 goals saved.... Do not get me wrong, I rather he atleast gets a 912 save percentage which should put him in that top 10 range for goalies. But ottawa legitimately would take his worst season and be happy with it at least for next year. Then after that we would pitch a fit haha. But for next year, ullmarks worst season would still be a 15 save percentage point and 20 more goals saved swing

Silky Johnson

I wish you all the bad things in life.
Mar 9, 2015
London, UK
For all people*mostly no Sens fans* saying we overpaid yall can suck my big ballz. Mostly are jealous cause now that deal looks like a robbery.
This guys is a legit elite starter in the league, he deserve those 8.25 millions a year .The guy is number 1 for all goalies stats the last two years come on .
8.25 is good price now and later on : cap is rising each year for sure next 4 years.à

What he said.

My ballz are more normal size though.

SyZyGY

Jun 13, 2021

Yeah I agree with you, Ullmark did rob Ottawa

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad