Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
If the Sens had signed this contract back in June the day after the trade, the reviews would have been Sens win the trade big time, but now that they've watch and evaluated him in pre-season training, the word is to much before he's played any real games? You guys are a fickle lot.

It's mostly Leafs fans who are agitated because it looks like their starter Joseph Woll may already be injured again... and the season hasn't even started...

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
If OTT is getting who they hope they’re getting, this is a decent deal. If it turns out that he actually is just a “system goalie,” then woof.

Not sure I understand the urgency to do this before he plays a single game
Ullmark looked really good on a terrible Sabres team without a system. If you compare Ullmark vs. Hutton during that period I think the team held playoff pace with Ullmark and was pretty much worst in the league with Hutton. Our GM decided to add Hall, keep Hutton and then let Ullmark walk after that season...

Reactions: gab6511

I Hate Philadelphia

Aug 10, 2015
Orlando, Florida
I know this doesn't matter in Ottawa since they never make the playoffs but this makes it harder to trade him to a playoff team if that time comes. Nobody wants to pay $8mil for a goalie who shits the bed in the playoffs at every opportunity.

IMG_1804.jpg

Ullmark cashed in on winning a Vezina as a platoon goalie playing behind the best regular season team of all time. Good for him, terrible for Ottawa.

• Haha
Reactions: BB79 and gab6511

Bjornar Moxnes

Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
.905 is good?

.915 he played 34 games that is the season I’m referring to.

.917 he played 20 games. While he was excellent that season I’m not gonna say that’s a huge sample size to go off of.

If you wanna smush the other 2 seasons together for a “starters workload” then yes he’s had 1 good season in Buffalo. Buffalo invested a ton of time into him and when he finally figured it out he left for Boston.

But I’m not ready to say it’s impossible he won’t come down to earth in Ottawa.
.905 would have helped the sens make the playoffs last season. That's how awful their goaltending was.

senswon

Quo Tendimus
Aug 1, 2007
Kingstone
I know this doesn't matter in Ottawa since they never make the playoffs but this makes it harder to trade him to a playoff team if that time comes. Nobody wants to pay $8mil for a goalie who shits the bed in the playoffs at every opportunity.

View attachment 913931

Ullmark cashed in on winning a Vezina as a platoon goalie playing behind the best regular season team of all time. Good for him, terrible for Ottawa.
How did we get rid of first shot krapisalo?
More sour grapes.

He makes ottawa a more competitive team. Period.
We'll happily cross the playoffs bridge when we get there.

• Haha
Reactions: I Hate Philadelphia

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
The fact that 95% of all the negative comments about this signing come from Leafs and Habs fans tells me allI need to know.

Think you’d have to include Boston in that figure. But yeah, very surprising the largest fanbases comprise most of the discussion on a big signing within the division, when it’s morning on the East coast. Vegas fans eerily quiet!

Reactions: senswon

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024

View attachment 913931

What's worse, signing Ullmark for 8.25 (for 4 years) or signing Lindholm and Zadorov for a combined 12.75 (for 7 years)?

umma gumma

Apr 8, 2005

View attachment 913931

How is it terrible? We were stuck with Korpisalo for almost the same term.

Ullmark or Korpisalo......hmmmmmmmmm.

BB79

Apr 30, 2011
Ullmark looked really good on a terrible Sabres team without a system. If you compare Ullmark vs. Hutton during that period I think the team held playoff pace with Ullmark and was pretty much worst in the league with Hutton. Our GM decided to add Hall, keep Hutton and then let Ullmark walk after that season...
Hutton showed a lot of promise with Nashville but was complete rubbish with the Sabres. Kind of similar to Ville Leino. Good with Philly. Croaked with the Sabres. IIRC, Ullmark was going through some family issues when he was in Buffalo with his father being sick? Unless I'm thinking of Lehner

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
This is not always the case. You need a high level goaltender to win. Put Korpisalo in for Florida/NY/etc., and see how fast they hit their ceiling because of how crap he is.
fine, but Ullmark was an OK goalie before Montgomery got him a Vezina. Hes gonna fall back to that in Ottawa (as all goalies do), and youll be paying him as a top tier goalie.

At least its only 4 years, but its just weird timing. The Sens have more problem than just goaltending.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
Linus Ullmark is far from being a Price/Roy.

In today's NHL you can win the mediocre goaltending, and they are MUCH more dependent on systems/coaching than ever.

Bobrovsky or Vasilevskyi have won 3 of the last 5 cups. They've been in 5 of the last 5 finals.

Ullmark may turn out to suck, but in today's NHL, goaltending is as important as it ever was.

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Goalie contracts make no sense today with the switch to the 1A/1B system. At 50 games a year(career high 49) he's more expensive per game than Connor McDavid. Now factor in that stat line, yikes.

1000003216.png

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
You just need to watch a Korpisalo game like last night and it makes the decision to lock up an established top-tier guy pretty easy.
You mean the first game of the season vs the defending cup champs? Yeah bruins should just cut him, he’s done!

Reactions: BB79

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
fine, but Ullmark was an OK goalie before Montgomery got him a Vezina. Hes gonna fall back to that in Ottawa (as all goalies do), and youll be paying him as a top tier goalie.

He has a career SV% above of ~.915 when not on Boston. That's a very good starter, not OK goalie.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
The term makes this a non-issue. 4 years is good enough to start building towards playoff contention, while not overcommitting to potential decline years after 2028. Especially for Ottawa who desperately needed a goaltender. Additionally, you say fall back like Ullmark hasn't played in Buffalo and still put up 2+gaa/91Sv%.

Until there's new evidence to suggest Ullmark is declining/terrible/overperformed in Boston, there's no reason to think this is a terrible deal.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Bobrovsky or Vasilevskyi have won 3 of the last 5 cups. They've been in 5 of the last 5 finals.

Ullmark may turn out to suck, but in today's NHL, goaltending is as important as it ever was.
Disagree.... Cups were won with Darcy Kuemper and Adin Hill based on a great defence more than acutal goaltending.

Bob went from an overrated and overpaid goalie, to great when FLA implemented a more defensive system (were tied with WPG for GA last season).

Holtby won only when Barry Trotz transformed Washington into a D first system.

Cam Talbot went from horrible in Ottawa to a having very good season with LA last year. What do you think changed??

Ullmark will not come anywhere close to the numbers he put up in Boston. Its practically one extreme to the other.

BTO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 20, 2019
The Big Smoke (unfortunately)
Everyone saying that Ullmark (and also Swayman) are the beneficiaries of Boston’s “system” have it ass backwards. It’s was Boston’s goaltending that covered-up a whole lot of warts and deficiencies in Boston’s so-called system. For example, Boston’s D can’t clear the crease for the life of them, can’t box-out and constantly let guys walk right in. It was Boston’s goaltending that saved them, not the other way around. In Ullmark’s Vezina year he let in a grand total of 2 bad goals all year. 2. Well, maybe 3. Yes, I counted. No don’t ask me to name them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad