Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
He's a more valuable player than Nylander signed for 3.25M less.

Goaltending wins. Finesse wingers don't.

there's a reason forwards get paid more, their performance is a lot more predictable. The examples of star forwards falling off a cliff without injury/age is pretty small, the examples of goalies having huge variance in performance is quite extensive.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
there's actually quite a large gap between "sign before he plays a single game" and "let him go to UFA"

He's got a big enough sample size on good, and bad, teams, to be pretty confident in what you're getting.

If you can get this done and eliminate all distractions heading into the year, you do it.

Especially when you're Ottawa.

Reactions: Washed Up 29YearOld

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
there's a reason forwards get paid more, their performance is a lot more predictable. The examples of star forwards falling off a cliff without injury/age is pretty small, the examples of goalies is pretty extensive.

Is it? There's a lot of examples of flash in the pan goalies who have a good year and the suck.

But there aren't a lot of examples of goalies who are really good for 5-6 years and then all of a sudden fall off a cliff.

Edgelord

All I have is substantially vapid opinions
Sponsor
May 3, 2016
This seems risky, all too often goalies are a product of the system and I wonder how much Ulmark is a product of Boston's system and how much is pure transferable talent.

hockey20000

Dec 23, 2018
happy to have him for 5 years. bit high at 8.25 but i think he will live up to it just hope our defense sharpens up infront of him

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
there's actually quite a large gap between "sign before he plays a single game" and "let him go to UFA"
Haha I agree with you but - I think the longer the season goes on, especially if Ullmark is performing well - the harder it'll be to sign him next summer.

Reactions: Inf4mous0ne

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Huh? In his 3 years as a full time player for Buffalo he put up seasons with a .905, .915 and .917 SV%s.

With an atrocious roster in front of him.
.905 is good?

.915 he played 34 games that is the season I’m referring to.

.917 he played 20 games. While he was excellent that season I’m not gonna say that’s a huge sample size to go off of.

If you wanna smush the other 2 seasons together for a “starters workload” then yes he’s had 1 good season in Buffalo. Buffalo invested a ton of time into him and when he finally figured it out he left for Boston.

But I’m not ready to say it’s impossible he won’t come down to earth in Ottawa.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Is it? There's a lot of examples of flash in the pan goalies who have a good year and the suck.

But there aren't a lot of examples of goalies who are really good for 5-6 years and then all of a sudden fall off a cliff.
John Gibson, Corey Schneider, Carey Price, Murray, Grubauer, then you have guys like Kuemper that put up really good numbers for years albeit not always in a starter role.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

ATdaisuki

Dec 4, 2012
Ottawa
I was hoping for a lower cap hit here, but if the cap shoots up like expected then we should be fine. I'm confident that he is a very good goalie. When Buffalo made him available I sold all my leaf fan friends on him. If we don't get results, I'm confident it is 100% the fault of the team in front of him, unlike with our last two bandaids who left plenty of room for doubt (not to say we were good defensively in front of them, just that they were very much part of the problem). Pretty much every key player is locked up now. If they can't make the playoffs within the next few years it's time to look at rebuilding the rebuild.

Inf4mous0ne

Jan 28, 2010
Haha I agree with you but - I think the longer the season goes on, especially if Ullmark is performing well - the harder it'll be to sign him next summer.
Lol, did we not all just watch the Swayman saga and some people are talking about Ottawa should wait it out? :P Ageed with the above, happy to have him signed and not worry about needing to pay more/him leaving. It's a bit higher than wanted (thinking $7.5M-$8M), but thought he'd want 5-6 years, so the term make it pretty good imo :)

Reactions: xVolchenkov

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
that's a bit expensive...

He is a top 10ish goalie, but he also hasn't played a single game for ottawa, I thought they'd play it out a bit and maybe loom for an extension mid season
He's a more valuable player than Nylander signed for 3.25M less.

Goaltending wins. Finesse wingers don't.
I mean if we are talking about playoffs and goalies, Ullmark only comes to mind because of how badly he struggles.

Whether it's choking a 3-1 lead or losing the net to swayman, he always comes out on the wrong side

Reactions: Dion TheFluff

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Over 91 games between 18-19 to 20-21, Ullmark put up a .911 behind the 3rd worst team in hockey
Averaging 30 games a year over 3 years is not a starters workload. Again I like Ullmark and I’m sure it’ll be fine but to pretend like he’s a sure thing in Ottawa isn’t true.

Goalies are fickle and systems matter

Reactions: Voight

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
.905 is good?

.915 he played 34 games that is the season I’m referring to.

.917 he played 20 games. While he was excellent that season I’m not gonna say that’s a huge sample size to go off of

.905 is around what Juuse Saros, Joseph Woll, Stuart Skinner, Jake Oettinger and Jakob Markstrom put up last year.

Is it Vezina worthy? No. Is it good? Pretty good.

Also, he followed that up in Boston with a .917, .938 and .915 SV% seasons.

6 seasons is not a big enough sample size?

Reactions: gab6511

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
What the f*** does Nylander have to do with this thread or this signing?
Well you see, the person he is responding to is a Leafs fan, who clearly had a large influence in deciding what Nylander signed for, so for that reason his opinion is clearly invalid.

Its a fool proof gotcha! People love to do it on this site :rolleyes: But really all theyre doing is projecting.

• Haha
Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad