Confirmed Signing with Link: [OTT] G Linus Ullmark signs extension with the Ottawa Senators (4 years, $8.25M AAV)

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
.905 is around what Juuse Saros, Joseph Woll, Stuart Skinner, Jake Oettinger and Jakob Markstrom put up last year.

Is it Vezina worthy? No. Is it good? Pretty good.

Also, he followed that up in Boston with a .917, .938 and .915 SV% seasons.

6 seasons is not a big enough sample size?
The whole point I said is that Boston is very friendly system wise to their goalies and he wasn’t some unflappable monster in Buffalo. Therefore this isn’t exactly a sure thing.

Again for the third time, I’m sure this will be fine and you have to do it if you’re Ottawa. But I could see him not living up to this number

Prettyisland

Oct 23, 2017
I have a feeling the “over pay under pay” faction of this board is going to short circuit the next few years

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
What should they have done instead? Let him go to UFA, roll with Anton Forsberg as the #1?

It's impossible to have playoff hopes now or in the future without a quality starter. No other position can completely derail a rebuild. Your own team, for example, is going to need to bring someone in to be a #1 at one point or another.
its a lot of money for a goalie who peaked under Jim Montgomery.

Colorado managed to win with Darcy Kuemper, signing him for cheap when they saw they were actual contenders. Ullmark isnt making Ottawa contenders at all.

Its just the wrong time.

Reactions: LivingRentFree

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
4 years.

I get it. If Ullmark negotiates like Shesterkin saying once in season I do not negotiate. Here's my number same as Swaymans. Well they have a choice to make

I hope he plays well for them. Also the term is pretty good at 4 years. It is not a 5 or 6 year deal.

DackellDuck

Sep 20, 2024
John Gibson, Corey Schneider, Carey Price, Murray, Grubauer, then you have guys like Kuemper that put up really good numbers for years albeit not always in a starter role.

Carey Price got hurt but was a star until he had to go on LTIR.

Corey Schneider also had injury problems that ended his run but hed had a good, long career.

Darcy Kuemper has had 1 bad season (last year). He won a cup after being a good goalie for 10 straight years in the league.

I'll give you Grubauer and Murray (although he also had injuries which set him back).

Established goalies falling off a cliff without significant injuries is fairly rare. You hope Ullmark can stay healthy, and if he can, you feel pretty confident in him over the next 5 seasons.

If he can't you put him on LTIR and then who cares?

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
its a lot of money for a goalie who peaked under Jim Montgomery.

Colorado managed to win by signing Kuemper for cheap when they saw they were actual contenders. Ullmark isnt making Ottawa contenders at all.
We literally cannot become contenders without a real goaltender. We p***y footed around so long, we needed this so badly. It's perfect

Reactions: BoardsofCanada

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Has Ottawa learned nothing?

Their whole plan of signing everyone before they've proven themselves has not been working.

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
The only real big issue here is Ullmark's age means he could already have played it's better games, but he looked pretty good during the preseason and he isn't signed 8 years either.

Sens could've done a lot worse. Probably an okay deal in the circumstances.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
This is less than 10% of the cap starting next year. People seem to forget the cap is going up a lot. Hot take, goaltending is important.

JS19

Legends Never Die
Aug 14, 2009
The Shark Tank
This seems risky, all too often goalies are a product of the system and I wonder how much Ulmark is a product of Boston's system and how much is pure transferable talent.
How do you say this and then ignore what a shitbox performance Korpi5alo put on yesterday night.

Reactions: Volt

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Averaging 30 games a year over 3 years is not a starters workload. Again I like Ullmark and I’m sure it’ll be fine but to pretend like he’s a sure thing in Ottawa isn’t true.

Goalies are fickle and systems matter
I was responding to the claim he's a systems goalie, doing well on a bad Buffalo team over a 90 game sample size indicates otherwise

Who knows how he does in Ottawa, goalies can do well and then suddenly fall off

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
Has Ottawa learned nothing?

Their whole plan of signing everyone before they've proven themselves has not been working.

Ottawa prior actions were mostly trading for players who are UFA on expiring deals and not being able to sign them.

If anything, they DID learn.

LivingRentFree

Feb 18, 2007
Alberta
Tim Stutzle season at 20 years of age was better than all but 1 of Nylander's 8 NHL seasons. Willy didn't break 90 points until he was 27.
Very different league, very different situation since Toronto had depth.

Nylander will finish with more goals, assists, points, shots, power play points, takeaways, plus minus, and have less giveaways than Stutzle. Not just one of those categories, all of them.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad