Proposal: OTT - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
Keep in mind that a trade has to work for both teams. I think Zub could help solidify Edmonton's back end. Ottawa fans think very highly of him and as I don't know much about the player I am taking their opinions on faith.

In the Oiler's case whatever money comes in must go out. I thought adding a 1st round blue chipper like Bourgault would entice Senators fans since Ottawa isn't likely to do much this year. Zub isn't signed for much longer. He could leave in free agency in two years. I saw this as a win win, with Barrie going the other way to even the contracts, defense positions, and cap out.

I don't think you should see this as improving the Sens this year. I think this is a trade that helps Ottawa in the long term while helping the Oilers right now.

Bourgault is a nice prospect but doesnt move the needle much for me in a Zub trade. We could ice an entire lineup of U24 forwards who were drafted in the top two rounds.

I would rather hold onto Zub and lose him for nothing than move him for a prospect who doesn't fill a specific need in the very near future. We need to play competitive hockey right now and Zub is crucial to that.

I fully understand that a trade has to work for both teams - as you said, Zub helps solidify Edmonton's back end, whereas Bourgault is just another drop in the bucket and Barrie, well, we went over.

This is no slight against the Oilers players, they have a lot of value and would be good additions to the Sens organization. Doing so at the cost of Zub would be one of the worst things we could do for the fate of the next 140ish games, though.

I think I already admitted this.

Misunderstood your post. I agree with you, Barrie would benefit Ottawa. If Edmonton wanted assets, which they could then flip, with no cap coming back, Ottawa would/should enter the fray (although probably not offer the winning bid).

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Bourgault is a nice prospect but doesnt move the needle much for me in a Zub trade. We could ice an entire lineup of U24 forwards who were drafted in the top two rounds.

I would rather hold onto Zub and lose him for nothing than move him for a prospect who doesn't fill a specific need in the very near future. We need to play competitive hockey right now and Zub is crucial to that.

I fully understand that a trade has to work for both teams - as you said, Zub helps solidify Edmonton's back end, whereas Bourgault is just another drop in the bucket and Barrie, well, we went over.

This is no slight against the Oilers players, they have a lot of value and would be good additions to the Sens organization. Doing so at the cost of Zub would be one of the worst things we could do for the fate of the next 140ish games, though.

Misunderstood your post. I agree with you, Barrie would benefit Ottawa. If Edmonton wanted assets, which they could then flip, with no cap coming back, Ottawa would/should enter the fray (although probably not offer the winning bid).

Yeah I think we fundamentally disagree on what is best for the Sens.

Losing Zub for nothing isn't helpful to the organization, at least to me, because keeping him around to help steer the team to another season near the bottom of the standings doesn't make sense. That is just me, and I am not a Sens fan. Getting a grade A prospect for him seems to me to be the right kind of move for the team.

I also think you're underselling Bourgault. He is a very offensively gifted young player. I don't offer him up lightly. The Oilers are supposed to compete now. Otherwise Bourgault is a valuable piece for Edmonton moving forward.

However, everyone has their different opinions. We are all just armchair GMs at the end of the day :)

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Losing Zub for nothing isn't helpful to the organization, at least to me, because keeping him around to help steer the team to another season near the bottom of the standings doesn't make sense. That is just me, and I am not a Sens fan. Getting a grade A prospect for him seems to me to be the right kind of move for the team.

I also think you're underselling Bourgault. He is a very offensively gifted young player. I don't offer him up lightly. The Oilers are supposed to compete now. Otherwise Bourgault is a valuable piece for Edmonton moving forward.

However, everyone has their different opinions. We are all just armchair GMs at the end of the day :)

I promise, I'm not underselling Bourgault. He's a very good prospect, he may become a very good player, he's a legitimate top prospect with a lot of value. There are very few Sens prospects I would duplicate at the expense of Zub, though. I appreciate that you put effort into the proposal, offered up good pieces, and tried to make it work for Ottawa - it is a very good proposal if Ottawa was looking to move Zub. That said, I don't think that is or should be the plan.

First off, there is no guarantee Zub walks. Secondly, the plan isn't to finish near the bottom of the standings next year and Zub will be instrumental to that. I would rather strive for the playoffs next year than perpetually rebuild so that we can add Bourgault. Losing Zub for nothing isn't helpful to the organization, but having him for the next year and a half is very helpful. Having the option to extend him is very helpful.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Thomson
Brannstrom/Kleven - JBD

Icing that approximate D group in 2-3yrs should be Ottawa's top priority.

Reactions: guyzeur

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
As bad as Ottawa is, I think the current team always has a bit of an advantage when it comes to signing players.

Zub is essential given that so many of our defensive corps are younger and will take a few years to reach their primes.

In general, defencemen take longer than forwards to contribute (IMO) and thus it's important to have a few who are a little older to complement the younger pivots who will be joining the team over the next couple of years.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
He means fringe 2nd pairing/solid 1st pairing, so you unfairly blame him in living under rock...

When you call someone a fringe anything, you are insinuating lesser, not higher.

If someone says, "that guy is a fringe NHLer", it means he's a 4th liner who's barely in the NHL, not someone who can play 3rd line but is playing 4th line. Similarly, when he called Zub a fringe 2nd pair, it means he just made it as a 2nd pair, but is more deservedly better in a lesser position(3rd).

Not sure why I had to spell it out, but here we are.

Reactions: Simplicity

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

I don't know why they would trade Zub right now when they could theoretically re-sign him, or trade him as a deadline rental for nearly the same price he could go for today.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Seems like you might be an Oilers fan who doesn't watch much hockey. Over the years, I'm not sure I have ever seen a team with better players according to their fans, but a team that is actually so bad on the ice. What is it, one playoff series win in 15 years? At some point, the fans probably need a bit of self-awareness.

Were you drunk or something when u wrote this?
Edmonton hasn't accomplished anything in almost 15 years.
They're essentially 1/2 of a hockey team in terms of depth.

DueDiligence

Nov 16, 2013
Agreed. I could stand something around Barrie for Zub, but not with a prospect like Bourgault included. I think Barrie's calie gets criminally underestimated on this board as well. Way too many "he has no value" comments.
Of course you could. How about you trade Draisaitl for Batherson? That's a similar comparison.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Barrie + Benson + 3rd for Brannstrom + Paul.

Paul is a better fit depth wise in Edmontons bottom six and the move creates needed cap space while also allowing Edmonton to see what Brannstrom could do with a change of scenery. For Ottawa with Chabot and adding Barrie Brannstrom would be completely redundant

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Good deal for the Oilers. I wouldn't do it from the Sens perspective. Even if he tells you that he isn't going to extend (which we don't know about), the Sens can still move Zub at next year's deadline and get a late 1st minimum anyways. The Sens desperately need to keep Zub, so keep him and keep trying to extend until you get to that point next year.

No, in the last year Zub has been about as good as Larsson at his best. #2 caliber shutdown D. This trade would be a win for the Oilers.

Oilers would rather give up a 1st than Bourgault. And Sens should prefer Bourgault to a late 1st this year.

He'd be one of the top D on the Oilers. Bouchard is good and might stay with Nurse. You could play Zub with Nurse or on the second pair. He's certainly going to play ahead of Ceci.

Show you know nothing bout the Oilers . Ceci has been the Oilers best D most of the year , Better then Larsson .

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Paul is a better fit depth wise in Edmontons bottom six and the move creates needed cap space while also allowing Edmonton to see what Brannstrom could do with a change of scenery. For Ottawa with Chabot and adding Barrie Brannstrom would be completely redundant

Wouldn't hate it but I would shop around elsewhere for a return that better meets our needs. No rush to trade Brannstrom, either... he will get a lot of runway once healthy, which should be in the next 2-4 weeks.

No real interest in Benson but Paul could probably be had for a 2nd or so unless he's willing to sign a team-friendly deal.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Show you know nothing bout the Oilers . Ceci has been the Oilers best D most of the year , Better then Larsson .

I'm an Oilers fan, the difference here is that I know what Zub can do and you don't. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way Ceci was playing, that's your interpretation. He has done his job well but he's not a big minutes all purpose shutdown guy like Zub.

Reactions: TFHockey

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017

Value might be there, but Barrie is rather redundant on a team that deploys Chabot on PP#1 and has Sanderson coming to take the reigns on PP#2 as soon as this year. Not to mention Thomson as well.

Benson has no foot speed and seems disengaged/disinterested half the time. He’s going to carve his way and modify his game into an average bottom 6er however I wouldn’t want it to be for the Senators.

I think it would be better for both sides if Oilers just straight up trading for Paul and try to trick Dorion into paying (lol) for Kassian. Really weird there’s so much interest in Paul this year compared to last year given his play has kind of been vanilla. Not in a bad way, but vanilla nevertheless.

Reactions: Altimus

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
I'm an Oilers fan, the difference here is that I know what Zub can do and you don't. I didn't say there was anything wrong with the way Ceci was playing, that's your interpretation. He has done his job well but he's not a big minutes all purpose shutdown guy like Zub.

Bouchard, Zub and Ceci aren't a bad right hand side for a teams defense.

If Edmonton could also pull off a Chychrun trade with Arizona....

Nurse - Bouchard
Chychrun - Zub
Keith - Ceci

That is a legit NHL defense right there. A team with that could do some damage in the playoffs.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Bouchard, Zub and Ceci aren't a bad right hand side for a teams defense.

If Edmonton could also pull off a Chychrun trade with Arizona....

Nurse - Bouchard
Chychrun - Zub
Keith - Ceci

That is a legit NHL defense right there. A team with that could do some damage in the playoffs.

You're not wrong.

I think getting Zub alone would be a pretty big upgrade to the Oilers D and I'd be more focused on getting a strong 3C than investing any further than that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad