Proposal: OTT - EDM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Why are we even talking about Bouchard?

More team control, 925k entry level contract, better production so far, draft pedigree and overall more value.

Again, I don’t think Barrie should be mentioned at all because he’s rather redundant with Chabot taking up the majority of PP#1 and Brannstrom, Sanderson, Thomson looking to take the reigns on PP#2 as soon as next year.

Wouldn’t want to trade Zub but a prospect like Bourgault is more than enticing. Could understand Edmonton not wanting to trade their recent first round pick that has done nothing but improve his stock though.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
RD is easily Ottawa's weakest position, along with good defensive defensemen. Moving our only legit RD and strong defensive blueliner is insane. And a player like Barrie is the last thing we need. And we really don't need any more prospects.

This trade keeps Ottawa in the cellar for a few years.

Reactions: Altimus and edguy

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Why does Edmonton even need any trades? With McDrai in the city they will never have problems with selling tickets. Of course a few more playoffs games can bring even more money, but is this money worth the risk of doing something, if you can do nothing and still live pretty well?

Akrapovince

May 19, 2017
Why does Edmonton even need any trades? With McDrai in the city they will never have problems with selling tickets. Of course a few more playoffs games can bring even more money, but is this money worth the risk of doing something, if you can do nothing and still live pretty well?

A couple rounds of post season in hockey in Edmonton means a lot.

For the team itself:
- retaining current players
- attracting future free agents
- attracting trade acquisitions with NMC
- morale of team and locker chemistry
- more development for prospects

For the city itself (it’s not just a little revenue):
- businesses and restaurant sales
- mental health of edmontonians
- merchandise
- worldwide attention for Edmonton

This city never has an issue with selling tickets. Edmonton could be at the cap floor with AHL players and this city would still come out to support.

Last edited:

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
A couple rounds of post season in hockey in Edmonton means a lot.

For the team itself:
- retaining current players
- attracting future free agents
- attracting trade acquisitions with NMC
- morale of team and locker chemistry
- more development for prospects

For the city itself (it’s not just a little revenue):
- businesses and restaurant sales
- mental health of edmontonians
- merchandise
- worldwide attention for Edmonton

This city never has an issue with selling tickets. Edmonton could be at the cap floor with AHL players and this city would still come out to support.

With those reports about McDrai rulling the team, I doubt Edmonton is that high in players' lists of the most attractive places.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Edmonton gives up a right handed d-man who is a great PP QB and a first rounder who has played great since being drafted.
Ottawa gives up a fringe 2nd pairing d-man.
How is this thread still getting bumped 12 hours after it was posted, let alone 48?

Simplicity

Dec 23, 2017
Edmonton gives up a right handed d-man who is a great PP QB and a first rounder who has played great since being drafted.
How is this thread still getting bumped 12 hours after it was posted, let alone 48?
Seems like you might be an Oilers fan who doesn't watch much hockey. Over the years, I'm not sure I have ever seen a team with better players according to their fans, but a team that is actually so bad on the ice. What is it, one playoff series win in 15 years? At some point, the fans probably need a bit of self-awareness.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Because of terrible player evaluations like this. Not a single GM in the league trades Zub for Barrie. Calling him fringe 2nd pairing d-man makes it seem like you live under a rock. Or other side of the world like China or something.

Reactions: Masked

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Truth hurts? Barrie is horrendous
Barrie is horrendous at one thing, and elite at others. Does that make him difficult to use? Yes, at times it certainly does. Do you need to have a coach who can deploy him properly to ensure he is not a liability? Also yes. But that's what a coaches job is - to use the players you have in the best way to give the team a positive impact. Ottawa might not be the team that needs Barrie, as I think their powerplay isn't awful, and Chabot plays the same spot that Barrie plays best. I'm not sure if bringing in Barrie makes sense because of that, but Barrie isn't a player that has no value in the NHL.

Reactions: TFHockey

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Because of terrible player evaluations like this. Not a single GM in the league trades Zub for Barrie. Calling him fringe 2nd pairing d-man makes it seem like you live under a rock. Or other side of the world like China or something.
I think it is apparent that Ottawa needs help on the right side (Zaitsev and Mete in the lineup every night, ouch). So I think its safe to say that they aren't in the positon to move Zub, even though I do think they would get better with Barrie on the team. Barrie can play top minutes with a sound defensive partner, and top powerplay minutes, so he is a player with value, but I see why you wouldn't want to run a right side of Barrie-Zaitsev-Mete. Running Barrie-Zub-Zatiseve/Mete would be a pretty big upgrade, but I don't think the Oilers can move Barrie out until they have a RD replacement coming in on another deal.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton
Barrie is horrendous at one thing, and elite at others. Does that make him difficult to use? Yes, at times it certainly does. Do you need to have a coach who can deploy him properly to ensure he is not a liability? Also yes. But that's what a coaches job is - to use the players you have in the best way to give the team a positive impact. Ottawa might not be the team that needs Barrie, as I think their powerplay isn't awful, and Chabot plays the same spot that Barrie plays best. I'm not sure if bringing in Barrie makes sense because of that, but Barrie isn't a player that has no value in the NHL.

Barrie did just lead all defensemen in points last year. The guy can score and is usually lethal on the PP. Right now the entire team is struggling, so that can't be laid all on one RHD.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Seems like you might be an Oilers fan who doesn't watch much hockey. Over the years, I'm not sure I have ever seen a team with better players according to their fans, but a team that is actually so bad on the ice. What is it, one playoff series win in 15 years? At some point, the fans probably need a bit of self-awareness.
Oilers fans often know better than anyone else how bad our players are. I don't agree with that poster's assessment of Zub, but his assessment of Barrie is pretty spot on. Cheering for an awful team doesn't mean that our fans don't know how to evaluate players. If anything, it let's us see the difference between NHL caliber players and non-NHL caliber players better, as we see more of both type. Like most bad teams, the Oilers' history of being bad isn't because they have had no good players. It is because they had to few good players, and had too many AHL caliber players playing in the NHL. Fans of both teams in this discussion know what that is like.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018

Lmao. If Zub is a fringe 2nd pairing DMan, Barrie is Chris Wideman.

The Devilish Buffoon

Dec 24, 2018
I think it is apparent that Ottawa needs help on the right side (Zaitsev and Mete in the lineup every night, ouch). So I think its safe to say that they aren't in the positon to move Zub, even though I do think they would get better with Barrie on the team. Barrie can play top minutes with a sound defensive partner, and top powerplay minutes, so he is a player with value, but I see why you wouldn't want to run a right side of Barrie-Zaitsev-Mete. Running Barrie-Zub-Zatiseve/Mete would be a pretty big upgrade, but I don't think the Oilers can move Barrie out until they have a RD replacement coming in on another deal.

Barrie absolutely does not make this team better and its kinda absurd to suggest so.

The only defenseman on our team besides Zub who doesn't require sheltering - Chabot - can do 90% of what Barrie excels at and 100% of what Barrie struggles at. Pairing Barrie with Chabot would neutralize one of them and pairing Barrie with anyone else would be more of the same - disaster. This teams top Chabot - Zub/ Plug - Plug is better than Chabot - Plug / Plug-Barrie or Chabot - Barrie / Plug - Plug by a HUGE margin. We are a good team in two situations - when the Brady/Norris/Batherson line is on the ice, and we are an excellent team when the Chabot - Zub pairing is on the ice. The literal last thing Ottawa should do is break up those units.

All acquiring Barrie (at the expense of Zub) would do is improve our PP2 while hurting us the other 58 minutes of the game.

Barrie would improve Ottawa, but not at the cost of Zub and not at the cost of any other player Edmonton would actually want. Unless the trade is based around futures or, if you want NHLers, Nick Paul & a depth DMan + picks/prospects, Barrie makes very little sense for Ottawa (and therefore it likely doesnt make sense for Edmonton, as they will be worse after the trade than before it).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Barrie absolutely does not make this team better and its kinda absurd to suggest so.

The only defenseman on our team besides Zub who doesn't require sheltering - Chabot - can do 90% of what Barrie excels at and 100% of what Barrie struggles at. Pairing Barrie with Chabot would neutralize one of them and pairing Barrie with anyone else would be more of the same - disaster. This teams top Chabot - Zub/ Plug - Plug is better than Chabot - Plug / Plug-Barrie or Chabot - Barrie / Plug - Plug by a HUGE margin. We are a good team in two situations - when the Brady/Norris/Batherson line is on the ice, and we are an excellent team when the Chabot - Zub pairing is on the ice. The literal last thing Ottawa should do is break up those units.

All acquiring Barrie (at the expense of Zub) would do is improve our PP2 while hurting us the other 58 minutes of the game.

Barrie would improve Ottawa, but not at the cost of Zub and not at the cost of any other player Edmonton would actually want. Unless the trade is based around futures or, if you want NHLers, Nick Paul & a depth DMan + picks/prospects, Barrie makes very little sense for Ottawa (and therefore it likely doesnt make sense for Edmonton, as they will be worse after the trade than before it).
I think I already admitted this.

TFHockey

The CEO of 7-8-0
May 16, 2014
Edmonton

Keep in mind that a trade has to work for both teams. I think Zub could help solidify Edmonton's back end. Ottawa fans think very highly of him and as I don't know much about the player I am taking their opinions on faith.

In the Oiler's case whatever money comes in must go out. I thought adding a 1st round blue chipper like Bourgault would entice Senators fans since Ottawa isn't likely to do much this year. Zub isn't signed for much longer. He could leave in free agency in two years. I saw this as a win win, with Barrie going the other way to even the contracts, defense positions, and cap out.

I don't think you should see this as improving the Sens this year. I think this is a trade that helps Ottawa in the long term while helping the Oilers right now.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia

He means fringe 2nd pairing/solid 1st pairing, so you unfairly blame him in living under rock...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad