Confirmed Trade: [OTT/EDM] Xavier Bourgault and Jake Chiasson for Roby Jarventie and 2025 4th round pick

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I'm wondering if Ottawa was looking at getting a francophone kid, since Ottawa does have a fair number of francophone fans on both sides of the Ottawa river, and having a francophone or two in the lineup helps them keep some media coverage that might otherwise go to the Habs.
Lol unreal yeah this is about Montreal. Ffs you guys are outta control.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
One knock on Bourgault has been he has been able to get use to big city life, going to Belleville might help get him back on track if he doesn't have to worry about the big city life part of it.
I'm sorry, he was too captivated by the big city trappings of Bakersfield??? That dude might be a write off lol

If he can’t handle the “temptations” of Bakersfield he’s in trouble.

It’s a shit cowtown with the worst pollution in California (maybe the US actually).
My jaw dropped through the floor at that comment. If he can't handle the bright lights of Bakersfield I'm sure he'll find a way to get into trouble in Bellevegas lol

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I was still hopeful that Jarventie would become a respectable middle 6 forward who plays on the 2nd PP. but the word “hopeful “ is key there… it is not the same as “expecting “ or “optimistic “.

His big problem, IMO, is he has heavy feet. Takes several strides to get up to speed.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

belair

Win it for Ben!
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
And now we don't have another RC in the system!
Isn't Matt Savoie a C? Even though the projection is top six supporting winger.

Also Sam O'Reilly, who we just drafted? And Noah Philp? And Jayden Grubbe?

Center depth is definitely not a strength, but realistically we're looking for strong defensive types and fast, offensive wingers with two-way acumen.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Jarventie is progressing exactly the way he was expected to. This is simply not an accurate depiction of his development.

Montreal fans are truly unbelievable. Your teams terrible this isn't about you.
I didn't say it was, but it isn't a surprise when you have a bunch of teams and players living rent free in your head there's no room for a coherent thought to form.

Before you comeback with some typical idiotic comment just remember you've been destroyed by numerous people on this board, so do you really want more of that ?

Then again, you might have some sort of kink to be dummied online.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I remember when Bourgault was an untouchable and every trade was an overpay when he was part of the offer... ah good times
I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Bourgault was never an untouchable. He WAS an untouchable in stupid ass offers for players Edmonton doesn't want or need, but I can't think of a single massive Xavier Bourgault fan.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I'm gonna call bullshit on that.

Bourgault was never an untouchable. He WAS an untouchable in stupid ass offers for players Edmonton doesn't want or need, but I can't think of a single massive Xavier Bourgault fan.
His D+1 season, a ton of your fellow oilers fans were touting him as a future stud and if you were to search proposals or prospect thread from then I'm very confident you would find many.

Reactions: bert

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
His D+1 season, a ton of your fellow oilers fans were touting him as a future stud and if you were to search proposals or prospect thread from then I'm very confident you would find many.
you mean Oilers fans didn't want to trade a guy they just selected for the bags of peanut shells covered in tobacco juice that we were no doubt being offered?

He was never untouchable, we just didn't want to trade him for trash.

And here's every thread every made with his name in it and half of them are from this trade.

Screenshot 2024-07-15 150647.png

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Jarventie is progressing exactly the way he was expected to. This is simply not an accurate depiction of his development.

Montreal fans are truly unbelievable. Your teams terrible this isn't about you.
Meh, we'll see if he makes it. I would be really surprised if he did. Let's put it this way, I would certainly not lose any sleep over it.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
you mean Oilers fans didn't want to trade a guy they just selected for the bags of peanut shells covered in tobacco juice that we were no doubt being offered?

And here's every thread every made with his name in it and half of them are from this trade.

View attachment 895112
I'm not saying there weren't some dumb, proposals although based on the shit return were they actually all that trash?all I'm saying is just like every fanbase in every sport he was over hyped before showing it in the NHL.

Hell I think Tom Willander will be the best dman from his draft based on a small sample size and the fact he only converted to defense at 16 and I feel that will afford him a huge growth curve.

I mean you can go through all those threads if you want tho not sure why you find the notion of overrating a prospect after a strong D+1 or 2 season worth the effort, like I said we all do it and look silly when the dust settles.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Oilers in 2021 needed a high end G or strong DMan. Most obvious pick was Wallstedt with no other DMen option. Maybe they could have selected C - W Johnston (better season). Terrible misstep and worse to trade for a similar player with lower upside.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Oilers fired their head of scouting this year and weren't happy with where Bourgault was, and Jarventie was drafted before Staios. Seems like the typical case of new management cutting ties with prospects they're not as high on as the people who originally drafted them.
This, and the fact neither has shown any real sign of taking steps to consistently contribute at the NHL level.

There’s still probably a better chance Bourgault ends up a consistent player compared to Jarventie BUT, the Oilers are taking a chance Jarventie’s skillset is the wildcard in this deal.

He is skilled enough to play with McDavid and reads the ice at that pace. He’s an interesting player because he can play at a very quick pace, but he doesn’t create that pace by himself. If he plays with two others who do, there’s a chance he can put up some nice numbers, but he’d look lost playing with a Stutzle or a Matthews.

He’s a weird player in that regard. There’s not many prospects like him. Who have top end pace and ability to “think the game” at that pace, but it’s only that pace or nothing. Slow the game down a little, he looks confused.

It’ll be interesting to watch.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Meh, we'll see if he makes it. I would be really surprised if he did. Let's put it this way, I would certainly not lose any sleep over it.
Well he was an oversized player and the youngest in his draft. He was always going to have a long development curve. He has increased his point total every year. Made the team out of camp last season was the best player on Belleville and scored at a ppg as a 2nd round pick in the AHL in his 21 year old season. It's really too bad about his injury last year I bet he would have played a bunch of games at the end of the season.

Way too early to call him a bust. He's literally progressing exactly like a big player should be.

Reactions: SensontheRush

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say it was, but it isn't a surprise when you have a bunch of teams and players living rent free in your head there's no room for a coherent thought to form.

Before you comeback with some typical idiotic comment just remember you've been destroyed by numerous people on this board, so do you really want more of that ?

Then again, you might have some sort of kink to be dummied online.
'Destroyed?' Wtf are you talking about? Your posts consistently bring nothing to the table. The last thing on anyone's mind is Montreal but you bring it up. No one cares about this fantasy you have that a French player will perform better against your team. It has nothing to do with the conversation.

Did you 'destroy' me when I exposed your terrible evaluations of the Slafkovsky and Wright pre draft. Obvious who the correct pick was to everyone except your manic fanbase. When you were crying and complaining saying management should listen to the fanbase and pick Wright. You're inconsequential, you don't matter.

Try and add to the discussion for once. Or let the adults talk. There's real detail about these players being discussed. just see the posts above this one. Try to keep up or kindly exit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Davo Ikinzom

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006

View attachment 895112
This is obviously a disingenuous post.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You know the Oilers are too chicken to ever take a goalie again in the 1st round ! Other than the recent pick of Skinner, the Oilers have been hard pressed to recognize good goaltending prospects!
The Oilers literally just drafted a goalie in the 2nd round. Not a 1st rounder but still a highly drafted goalie.

Snowwy

Jan 29, 2006
Tyson Barrie and Xavier Bourgault for Artem Zub and a 2nd round pick.

That is one of many many highlights from the proper way to search a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad