Speculation: Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• 1st round pick at 2025

• G - Sebastian Cossa

• G - Trey Augustine (+ other incentive)

• RW - Michael Brandsegg-Nygård

• C - Nate Danielson

• C - Marco Kasper

• RD - Axel Sandin Pellikka

• LD - Simon Edvinsson

• I would not do any trade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I thought this too. Might have to throw Lyon in too or make a seperate trade. I'm not trading for Askarov to be in the AHL, I would hope he'd get significant time behind Talbot.

That's what I voted on the poll. But I also think another team can beat that offer. It all depends what Nashville values in the trade. Do they want another goalie prospect back? And if so, are they high on the Wings prospects? Do they want any salary at all coming back?

But yeah, I think Askarov is ready to get NHL games. He's 22, he's been the primary starter in the AHL for two seasons, so he's ready to start cutting his teeth in the NHL.

I'm high as hell on Askarov but I can see Yzerman being more than content waiting on Cossa and Augustine.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I wouldn't trade anyone based on the following:

1) He declined playing in the AHL and has no NHL experience. We would be casting him behind our fallible defense

2) We have Cossa who is arguably as good if not better of a prospect, and will continue to develop with ample AHL time this year. We have developed him from the start and I trust our AHL brass to continue that progress

3) Trey Augustine

4) We shouldn't be needlessly focusing on trading for young goalies, and instead focus on a trade for a top 4 RHD

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
I think Askarov's biggest issue is the Saros 7 yr roadblock. We have no such roadblock.

It would certainly create an interesting situation with Cossa, though. In a dream world those two become an elite tandem and the second guy can be traded for a solid return of need when it's contract time.

But honestly that's a problem I wish we could have. Imagine just having ONE starting goalie we need to worry about retaining. It's been so damn long. Jimmy "the softball" Howard is looking downright great in hindsight so you know it's getting bad for us with goalies.

Despite how people feel about goalies, if they are good, they always return excellent value in trades. Even Markstrom, who is entering his later years and had spotty counting stats, returned a stronger value than even I expected.

Reactions: SoupNazi

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Trading for Askarov and placing him in the NHL is a slap in the face to Cossa. I'd imagine he'd want out if that were to happen.

Plus, I doubt Detroit would pony up the assets to make the necessary moves to make the NHL goaltending situation work. Can't carry 4 goalies.

And. This is the biggest hurdle.

I'd demand Nashville include Gibson in that deal.😁

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bad management, not to let him develop longer in Russia.
Id trade Huso + for Askarov . One or two our goalies needs to be gone

Reactions: PelagicJoe

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Bad management, not to let him develop longer in Russia.
Id trade Huso + for Askarov . One or two our goalies needs to be gone
If I were a GM and had any Russian prospects - there's no way I'd want them staying back home for any longer than need be...It'll cost Cossa if Yzerman wants Askarov.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
If I were a GM and had any Russian prospects - there's no way I'd want them staying back home for any longer than need be...It'll cost Cossa if Yzerman wants Askarov.
If Cossa is going other way , it's solid no

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
To me he is the best goalie prospect in the world and a likely future Vezina winner. Like @Bench he is the best goalie prospect I can remember since Price. I would move a lot for him within reason. I like Cossa a ton so yeah good not paying a kings ransom. However, as much as they want to put it that way Nashville has messed this up for a sub-optimal return and Cossa for those saying he could go across would stage the same kind of demand at the end of next year. I just don't see it. But willing to move a lot for Askarov, Berggren+ pretty easily.

Last edited:
Reactions: TCNorthstars

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Per Friedman the ask for Askarov is:

"An established NHL player and a top prospect, preferably a forward or defenseman."

So they are not interested about draft picks.

• Haha
Reactions: PelagicJoe

HoweFan

Jan 10, 2017
What’s the point in giving up a major asset for someone who is going to play half of our games because Cossa has the other half

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I actually thought about this. At the end of the day, what Nashville would want for Askarov isn't something we should give up considering we have Cossa and Augustine.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I would be jonesing a bit more to do this if Cossa had not really impressed me this last year.

19 for president

Apr 28, 2002
well, you just scared off a whole lot of people.
Depends on if we are talking about young Ozzie or return trip Ozzie. Return trip Ozzie was fundamentally a much better goalie and was fairly consistent until he fell off due to age.

So far Augustine seems to be more mentally solid than a young Ozzie. He has consistently stepped up in big games at every stage.

As for an Askarov trade. I think the only thing that would have made sense if it were like a Cossa for Askarov swap. It makes zero sense to have 3 top 10ish goalie prospects, we'd be looking at Cossa refusing to report for the same reason. With that said. A deal like that doesn't kick the ball far enough down the line for the Preds, and the Wings would have had to have a spot for Askarov this year.

13to40

Feb 29, 2016
Montreal
I much rather stay put and let our 2 top goalie prospects marinate in the minors for a few more years. Take the patient route.

Would Askarov immediately help improve the team today? I’m not quite sure. He hasn’t proved anything yet at the top level.

His potential is there, there is no denying that, but I don’t think it’s worth the expense of moving one of our better prospects the other way in the trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad