Speculation: Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Would you trade Askarov for... ?

• 1st round pick at 2025

• G - Sebastian Cossa

• G - Trey Augustine (+ other incentive)

• RW - Michael Brandsegg-Nygård

• C - Nate Danielson

• C - Marco Kasper

• RD - Axel Sandin Pellikka

• LD - Simon Edvinsson

• I would not do any trade

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Poll question doesn't pass the real-world plausibility test. There might be twenty-plus teams that need a high-end goalie prospect more than Detroit does and it would be incredibly stupid to outbid all of them for a guy who might not be any better than the two Detroit has. Aside from more shutouts, Askarov's second-year AHL stats on a better team were almost identical to Cossa's rookie-year AHL stats, and he wasn't as good as Cossa in the playoffs. Askarov already acting like he's entitled to something would hardly endear him to SY either.

Why would the Preds move their best young trade asset for another young goalie who wouldn't be anything more than a quality back-up? They have many other more important immediate needs. Nor should Detroit be tradiing any good prospects at other positions or first-round picks to try to solve a prpblem they have already made a huge investment in trying to solve, with no indication that investment is not on track to paying off when it will matter -- when their defense and d-zone play is good enough to give a goalie a chance to make a difference.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Wings fans have always been lukewarm with the guy and I think the real issue has always been he wasn't Roy/Hasek/Brodeur level good and he was always seen as the weak link on great teams. Do I think it is rational or deserved? No, but I've seen enough pessimistic down takes on the guy to know it won't be a comparison well loved.

Personally, I was always a fan of Ozzy from his first playoff series after the sharks where he took all of the blame and was crying while being interviewed after the final game of the series to his retirement. From everything I saw the guy was a great red wing.

Why the Ozzy hate, other than he can't talk....

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I'd trade Augustine and a young, some not in the pro ranks with them for this guy in a heart beat. This works for the Preds, as they get a long-term transition plan in net, gives Detroit a 1-2 option that has crazy good potential and the team's are not on a path to collide (making the trade not one you have to see on the ice).

I'd also explore swapping other pieces. The Preds are a win now build. They have 3 players that need to clear waivers this fall. They are

Egor Afanasyev, Philip Tomasino, and Juuso Parssinen

Not going to claim to know any of them, but Tomasino was a top 30 pick.

Kudos on this poll. I actually think is a good of season discussion. I'd love to see Cossa and Askarov fight it out for the top spot, both do great and the Wings move on from Husso, Lyon and Talbot over the next two years.

Reactions: TCNorthstars

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
If we didn't have Cossa and Augustine absolutely I would trade for him. There is no point with those 2 in the system let's just see what we have.

brett89

Jun 29, 2016
i believe he wants to be traded because he doesnt want to play in the ahl. so thats a tough one. idk how good he is

SirKillalot

Feb 27, 2008
Norway
Lyon would be the one they'd want.

So that would leave Talbot and Husso.

Ewww...
And?
Give Askarov chances as backup while the two others (Cossa & Augustine) work on their craft.
It's not a huge loss to lose either Talbot or Husso on waivers IF that were to happen, or potentially a small trade later on.
If Askarov doesn't pan out, got two more chances. If he does, next guy get chance as backup later or we trade for assets.

Last edited:
Reactions: heyfolks and Bench

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
yea, i'd be into it as long as we don't give up cossa or augustine. having 3 top 10 goalie prospects pretty much guarantees we'll end up with a world class starting goaltender, in addition to 1 or 2 high value trade pieces

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Per Friedman the ask for Askarov is:

"An established NHL player and a top prospect, preferably a forward or defenseman."

So they are not interested about draft picks.
So Holl and Berggren ought to do it…On a more serious note - that’s quite ballsy of a request considering his lack of NHL experience, but there it is.

Reactions: Bench

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
We already have quite a few goalies in the system, but if Bench is right (and Bench is usually right about goalies) then I'd gladly give our next first-round pick, plus any one of our 3 NHL goalies (Preds' choice)m plus a first plus a B-level prospect. Hell I'd throw in any or all of our older d-men. Chiarot seems like a good fit.

But I wouldn't trade any of the prospects listed in this poll.

Sure we have Cossa and Augustine, but all 3 of these young goalies we're discussing have only a small chance of becoming the sort of goalie that can lead a team to a cup. Goalies are unpredictable, but just pulling numbers out of you-know-where:

Augustine: 5%

Cossa: 15%

Askarov: 30%

With all 3 in the system, we'd have a 43% chance that at least one of them will "hit." With just the top 2 in the system we have a 19% chance of at least one hitting. We'd have to find a way, though, of creating a roster spot for Askarov, on the Wings, right away, not the Griffins, or this would be pointless. And as others have pointed out: Other teams might offer more than this.

I'd throw in a second rounder; and point out that our first rounder is likely to be 14th or better, even with Askarov. He'd be a rookie after all.

Reactions: heyfolks

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
So Holl and Berggren ought to do it…On a more serious note - that’s quite ballsy of a request considering his lack of NHL experience, but there it is.
Oh. Well shoot, I wish I'd read this before posting that long-winded comment above.

I wonder if they'd take Kane. I'd give him up gladly, if he was willing to go there (I'm assuming he has some sort of limited choice in his contract.) Kane plus Wallinder, maybe they'd take that, they're going for the gusto this year.

Or maybe they'd take Veleno plus Johansson. I'd do that, although I like Johansson.

Probably some dumpster-fire organization will give them Stutzle plus Yakemchuk.

stillwater

cellar door
Mar 17, 2011
The chances of the Red Wings trading Patrick Kane this off-season are about the same as RFK JR winning the upcoming presidential election.

Reactions: PelagicJoe

PelagicJoe

Mar 20, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Per Friedman the ask for Askarov is:

"An established NHL player and a top prospect, preferably a forward or defenseman."

So they are not interested about draft picks.
Justin Holl is technically an established NHL player and a defenseman. NSH can have him and Brady Cleveland.

Reactions: FMichael

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Askarov, for me, is still not in a position to earn anything more than a shot at the NHL backup position. He lacks mental toughness in big games and isn't athletic enough to be considered for a #1 goalie position. This is probably why it's taken so long to even get him in the conversation for a trade. Nashville has been trying for some time with no success. He puts up decent AHL numbers, but most bigger matchups against better goalie prospects, he just doesn't shine.

Detroit already has two solid prospects in the pipeline, so there's no reason to be in on him, IMO.
Nashville was not interested in trading him up until signing Saros to the extension. Askarov was pegged to be the new starter if they traded Saros or let him walk in UFA. Had nothing to do with teams not being interested in Askarov.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I just don't get it why on earth Trotz signed, at this summer, MacKenzie Blackwood to be the backup for 2 years?

Why don't they build a dominant Saros / Askarov dymamite duo ?

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Nashville was not interested in trading him up until signing Saros to the extension. Askarov was pegged to be the new starter if they traded Saros or let him walk in UFA. Had nothing to do with teams not being interested in Askarov.
But his name had been thrown around to see who was interested, before the extension. So this doesn't jive. His name has been on the market for over a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad