Confirmed Trade: [OTT/ARI] Jakob Chychrun for 2023 1st (top 5 protected), 2024 2nd (1st if OTT make '23 ECF), and 2026 2nd round pick

Love

Feb 29, 2012
Top 5, forgive me. Either way, even if disaster struck, Ottawa isn't going to get completely f***ed out of Bedard. You know, if the absolute worst case scenario were to play out.
For sure my original point though was just that a top 5 protected 1st from a team lower in the standings is definitely more valuable that a top 12 protected 1st from a team higher in the standings

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Does Arizona ever plan to ice a competitive hockey team? They must realize you can't physically ice draft picks and salary retention.

It seems like they are allergic to having competent roster players and are intentionally trying to stay in an infinite rebuild.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
There are some likeable and respectful Coyotes fans that post here.

I am a bit confused if salary back (expiring contracts) was an issue when they just brokered Kane to the Rangers.
Excellent point. They could have used that same money to fleece any number of teams desperate for a defenceman.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
There have been a few trades where it feels like a player was just gifted to another team. This is one of them.

What a bad trade for Arizona, after waiting so long.... giving him away.

Wish the Sharks made a move on him if it cost that little in the end.
A 1st and two 2nd is not a "gift", it's still a nice package of picks for Arizona's rebuild, they just would have liked more

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Chychrun has 3 years in his contract, including this season. If Arizona retains they lose a retention spot for all of those years. They could play middleman on three rentals and get three assets literally for free. Maybe they value that more than the difference between a second and a low first.
No he is talking about how other teams needed to send back players to make the deal with but they didn't want to spend money.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Does Arizona ever plan to ice a competitive hockey team? They must realize you can't physically ice draft picks and salary retention.

It seems like they are allergic to having competent roster players and are intentionally trying to stay in an infinite rebuild.
Wasn't the salary cap supposed to help teams like Arizona be competitive?

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
"1st if OTT makes '23 ECF"

*check standings*

yeah I don't think that one is happening
Honestly. I f***ing love that condition. Absolute chad move by Dorion and a show of confidence to his team. As if to say to his players "I f***ing dare you guys to make that 2nd a 1st".

Reactions: SensontheRush

ICanMotteBelieveIt

Jan 11, 2013
Ekholm is better and lol at you being so lazy that you did not know that EDM has to send $$ back to ARI lol. They would not have that
Pay enough and they would've. You could've sent Barrie back, they could've moved him if necessary.

You just didn't want to pay the price because of Broberg.

IranCondraAffair

Mar 10, 2006
how come every time there is a trade people always gotta try and bully the so-called trade "loser" fanbase

"LMAO REMEMBER HOW YOU WANTED ONE THING AND THEN YOUR TEAM DIDN'T GET THAT, LMAO LMAO LMAO, U SHOULD BE ASHAMED! SHAME! SHAME! SHAME! NOW COME IN AND ACCEPT YOUR PUNISHMENT"

It's very odd, people aren't even like this when teams get knocked out in the playoffs.
This isn't bullying a fanbase because their team lost a trade, it is replying to the collective actions of a fanbase on HFBoards after two years of bullshit. Feel bad for them if you want, but I'm confident their actions will eventually dissuade you from pity.

Reactions: FSL KINGS

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010

Did you expect them to push all in next season? This player didn't fit the timeline. Eventually they will hit on some picks, be in a brand new state of the art Tempe arena with players eager to play in a cool city that is very warm in the winter and they may even have a Cup within the next ten years. The NHL is very cyclical. All the top teams right now were terrible not that long ago (except Boston who has not rebuilt in forever) and built up their team with very high draft selections.

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Amazing trade by Ottawa. Adding a quality defenseman in his prime on affordable contract for 2½ years (3 possible playoff runs) and losing nothing but picks. Ottawa has drafted enough talent in recent years, it's time to try to win.

Coyotes is such a joke of a franchise. Feel bad for the fans. but holy shit if there's ever been a time for relocation it's now with the Coyotes.

Watch Ottawa make the run for playoffs too, so Coyotes don't even end up with ~10th pick but instead ~20th pick. That would really top it off.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Literally 95% of posters in this thread have never even seen Chychrun play. Basing opinions purely because his name has been out there to be traded.

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
As an Oilers fan, I’m not impressed with Arizona. I realize a pick in the teens of the 1st round is a far cry from a pick in the mid to late twenties, but to hold out for three first round picks with no retention or salary coming back, and then to fold the tent for this return is laughable.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
For us uninformed on Chychrun, why does he spend his offseason there ? Not that its a bad place, I like Ottawa, but wasnt he born and raised in South Florida ?

Also, another excellent deal by the Senators. They've drafted and developed incredibly well, not they're also doing excellent work adding to the roster.
His dad played junior A in Ottawa and Kingston in the OHL. Has a cottage close by, so Jake grew up in summers at the cottage, now they both have a cottage on same lake.

Last edited:

TakeTheBody

Jan 10, 2018
Can't believe the price was so low. The Sens will be pretty good next season. The lower rung in the East, Wings, Habs, Sabres will regret letting Ottawa make this deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad