OT: Other Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies, etc...Part VI

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Fencing is an awesome sport, I feel that your description is a perfect example of archery and volleyball. I respect both sports, but I tried to watch it and got bored and changed the channel.
I get into volleyball these days, mostly because it's THE sport around these parts now. I get that it's not for everyone. I'm kinda surprised more active collegiate players are not on the Olympic rosters.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I get into volleyball these days, mostly because it's THE sport around these parts now. I get that it's not for everyone. I'm kinda surprised more active collegiate players are not on the Olympic rosters.
I really should make a half assed effort to actually watch what's left of the Olympics. I've been just watching highlights at night, but that hasn't really built up any hype or excitement for me.

I always found it cool, in prior Olympics, how excited I'd get watching volleyball. It somehow reminds me of a bit of baseball. It has the intelligence, planning and strategy of baseball combined with a different but equally, if not more, impressive athletic abilities but doesn't come with the penalty of a 7-and-a-half-hour game time.

Reactions: Pokecheque

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
I have watched all of the medal rounds of fencing. It's been f***ing CRAZY. So many medals coming down to a signle touch. Shame the US women's team is roiled in controvery and the men's sabre team absolutely shit their pants against Iran in the elimination round. Probably helps that I used to fence, but a few seconds of explanation to my wife and she was into it. The announcers do a dogshit job explaining it to a new audience.

Trap is fun too. I wish I was a fraction as good of a shot with a shotgun as these athletes. Having a fully custom 30,000 dollar shotgun probably helps a bit.

The other shooting sports are unwatchable. Dudes holding still in magical hold-still jackets. Hard pass.

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
I have watched all of the medal rounds of fencing. It's been f***ing CRAZY. So many medals coming down to a signle touch. Shame the US women's team is roiled in controvery and the men's sabre team absolutely shit their pants against Iran in the elimination round. Probably helps that I used to fence, but a few seconds of explanation to my wife and she was into it. The announcers do a dogshit job explaining it to a new audience.

Trap is fun too. I wish I was a fraction as good of a shot with a shotgun as these athletes. Having a fully custom 30,000 dollar shotgun probably helps a bit.

The other shooting sports are unwatchable. Dudes holding still in magical hold-still jackets. Hard pass.
That's pretty freaking cool man.

Fencing was not something you could get into where/when I was growing up. Probably a good thing too. My temperament back then was pretty different and if you poked me with a sharp stick, I would have probably dropped mine and charged you with the outright indignation.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
In the Summer games, I like swimming, track and field, some of the gymnastics (though I really don't like how they dress up and make up the athletes like china dolls). Watched some of the rugby and water polo this time around.

Going to try and get into the basketball tournament, but I'm failing so far. I noticed that Embiid didn't play and sat out the game against Sudan. Maybe he thought the game was being held in Denver.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I enjoy the track (mainly sprint and relays), swimming, and of course basketball at the summer Olympics.

For soccer I'll just watch Canada. Speaking of, how about the women overcoming those odds? The IOC can go ahead and deduct more points, bunch of drone hating *****es. Here's team Canada using a drone to get a nice view of the scenery and their surroundings and suddenly that's an issue. They did nothing wrong!

I have absolutely no idea what's going on in gymnastics or how it's scored but I'll even check that out if there's greatness on display. Like Simone Biles and everything she's doing.

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
Mt Holly, NC
Winter Olympics are a huge step up from the Summer for me; so many more interesting sports. One of the major problems is that there are way too many water and running lengths. I don't care that a USA woman set a record or something in 200 m, 300 m, 400 m, and 450 m distances. Speed skating has the same problem, but that crazy speed skating where you got like 8 skaters on the track and it is all out warfare is wonderful to watch.

Fencing is an awesome sport, I feel that your description is a perfect example of archery and volleyball. I respect both sports, but I tried to watch it and got bored and changed the channel.

This is my opinion, but I think handball is probably the stupidest sport on the planet that has a legit following for me. Play futbol, baskebtall, or Gaelic football, don't make a sport that is just a mixture of everything.

I would love to see floorball in the summer Olympics. If field hockey, ping-pong, 3v3 basketball, artistic swimming, and sailing are "classified" as sports, floorball is equally or more athletically demanding than all of those.
Haha! I can’t really argue with you about the merits of handball. I just like watching different shit every once in a while. I get tired of the same old same old.

I definitely have always liked Winter Olympics better, but I seem to be enjoying these at a pretty good clip for some reason

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
I am so happy for Randy Gradishar.

Went to dinner with him like 6-ish years ago and you could just tell he was so frustrated and hurt that he wasn’t in the hall. It bothered him a lot. This is finally a case where the NFL got it right and recognized a great player before they were no longer with us.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Scottie Scheffler is a machine. What a back nine for the gold medal. 🥇
Combined with an all time choke job by Rahm. Up there with Norman in 96. The only saving grace is the Olympics doesn't carry the prestige that the majors do, especially The Master's.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Combined with an all time choke job by Rahm. Up there with Norman in 96. The only saving grace is the Olympics doesn't carry the prestige that the majors do, especially The Master's.

It’s wild. Watching the front nine he just pulled away and was looking so solid. You were hoping for him to stumble to just make it more interesting. Then he just imploded and didn’t even medal.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
It’s wild. Watching the front nine he just pulled away and was looking so solid. You were hoping for him to stumble to just make it more interesting. Then he just imploded and didn’t even medal.
For him to not even medal is the craziest part... arguably even crazier, he missed medaling by 2 strokes. Dropping 5 shots in 8 holes on a course that wasn't biting hard is just crazy. Luckily for Schaufele this happened because Sunday Schaufele struck again. :laugh:

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
Murray is not it. The quicker the Nuggets move on from him the better. It's obvious he's a product of Jokic and any capable PG can do his job for much less money.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
Murray is not it. The quicker the Nuggets move on from him the better. It's obvious he's a product of Jokic and any capable PG can do his job for much less money.
Idiotic take

He looked out of shape/injured, and playing a different role with different set of rules.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Idiotic take

He looked out of shape/injured, and playing a different role with different set of rules.
He was out of shape and injured for the entire season last year. He should have taken the summer off.

If he misses 20-30 games again this year we're going to end up starting Westbrook and having Braun have to run PG2 because Jalen Pickett is worthless and KCP and Holiday are gone.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Idiotic take

So true. Just goes to show how sports with already high levels of competition shouldn't be in the Olympics. The basketball just feels so contrived and dumb to me. Joker wants to play great for his first time there but I can see him passing in 4 years. The medals are just not held in high enough esteem to take up lots of off-season for these guys. The golf and tennis put on some good action but it still felt kinda dumb for them to be there. Same for the soccer, leave this to the World Cup and Confederation championships.

The sports that don't have highly paid leagues competing half the year or more on mass media should get the 2 weeks to themselves. I really don't see the ratings hurt much if they did that.

katfude

Sep 25, 2015
Teehee

Attachments

• received_1418505795507933.jpeg
    received_1418505795507933.jpeg
    55 KB · Views: 3

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2