OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
I am enjoying the Lakers futility immensely. There's nothing for Jim Hill to talk about.

oh, was there some recent lakers news? the L.A. media was creaming themselves at the opportunity to talk to one of the 20 "demonstrators" outside staples on friday.

And the LEAD story for every straight news broadcast I have seen for a few days?? Hey L.A. media, did you know the Kings have a new coach too?! For a few weeks now...

**** the Lakers.

Last edited:

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
oh, was there some recent lakers news? the L.A. media was creaming themselves at the opportunity to talk to one of the 20 "demonstrators" outside staples on friday.

And the LEAD story for every straight news broadcast I have seen for a few days?? Hey L.A. media, did you know the Kings have a new coach too?! For a few weeks now...

**** the Lakers.

The numbers must say that people in LA really only care about the Lakers and then the Dodgers in the summer a little.

The amount of media coverage the Lakers get compared to the other teams seems so much more than in other places. Al Michaels is on the radio here every couple of months and they always ask him about the Kings (Al really wanted Coach Q to the Kings). That might be more Kings discussion than ESPN Radio LA has in a month.

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The numbers must say that people in LA really only care about the Lakers and then the Dodgers in the summer a little.

The amount of media coverage the Lakers get compared to the other teams seems so much more than in other places. Al Michaels is on the radio here every couple of months and they always ask him about the Kings (Al really wanted Coach Q to the Kings). That might be more Kings discussion than ESPN Radio LA has in a month.
I know the Rams left LA and came back, but you would think there might be a little more coverage on what is going on with Gurley. Rumors are that Gurley's knee is now arthritic from the injuries he suffered in college. McVay says he is still the centerpiece of the Rams offense. In the NFL you better have a Plan B at running back.

McVay: Todd Gurley will be 'focal point of our offense'

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
I know the Rams left LA and came back, but you would think there might be a little more coverage on what is going on with Gurley. Rumors are that Gurley's knee is now arthritic from the injuries he suffered in college. McVay says he is still the centerpiece of the Rams offense. In the NFL you better have a Plan B at running back.

McVay: Todd Gurley will be 'focal point of our offense'

They did draft Darrell Henderson in the 3rd round this past draft. Could be a pretty dynamic player for them.

They also matched the offer sheet Detroit gave to Malcom Brown.

I was a bit surprised they did not retain CJ Anderson who showed well down the stretch .

Rams coach Sean McVay said the team could use more two-back formations in 2019.

McVay is basically confirming the obvious after the team somewhat surprisingly matched RFA Malcolm Brown's offer sheet and used the No. 70 overall pick on Darrell Henderson. More two-back looks would be a major departure for McVay, who has deployed "11" personnel almost exclusively in Los Angeles. McVay has also alluded to giving Gurley more rest. "As far as managing the workload, those are things that we talk about with Todd and as you continue to get educated on, is that something that we should do for the long haul or something that is or isn’t going to affect Todd most importantly and how does that affect our team." It sounds like Gurley's knee woes down the stretch last season were a wake-up call for his coach. We might not get the same sort of league-winning usage we saw in 2017 and most of 2018.

Source: Rotoworld & ESPN

Reactions: KINGS17

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
That picture is going to be historic, as is the moment. Kawhi’s shot has to be considered as one of the greatest moments in NBA Playoff history.

That shot was Jordan like. What was it? Four clanks of the rim and in. Felt like time stood still.

giphy.gif

I dislike the Raptors. Hoping The Greek Freak and the Bucs take them out in the Conference Finals.

For the love of the baby Jesus please have Kwahi skip town this summer.

Vamos Rafa

I own Voight
Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Question for MMA junkies here. Has the UFC lost its popularity since its ESPN+ deal? Me personally, I haven't followed it since their FOX days. I don't even know when thei next event is. There aren't any more commercils to promote their events anymore unless you were watching ESPN.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
FWIW, the Lakers just moved up in the lottery. Maybe more ammo for a potential Anthony Davis deal.

Going to be a top 4 pick at minimum.

Lakers and Knicks in the top 4..haha, it’s rigged! :naughty::sarcasm:

Edit: New Orleans is about to lose Davis and is struggling. Coincidence they won the lottery?

Lakers are 4, Knicks are 3, Memphis is 2nd.

Last edited:

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
FWIW, the Lakers just moved up in the lottery. Maybe more ammo for a potential Anthony Davis deal.

Going to be a top 4 pick at minimum.

Lakers and Knicks in the top 4..haha, it’s rigged! :naughty::sarcasm:

Edit: New Orleans is about to lose Davis and is struggling. Coincidence they won the lottery?

Lakers are 4, Knicks are 3, Memphis is 2nd.

Think AD reconsiders a trade now that he may have Zion to play with? And who knows how silly the demand remain is for Davis if there’s any truth to the rumored trade that was nixed.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
Think AD reconsiders a trade now that he may have Zion to play with? And who knows how silly the demand remain is for Davis if there’s any truth to the rumored trade that was nixed.

I still think Davis has his heart set on going to a bigger market but, it does give him something to ponder.

Would be quite the 1-2 punch.

I want to see who ends up with Ja Morant. That kid is one dynamic player. Could be an outstanding PG at the next level.

DaAnimal

May 8, 2009
Pasadena
Ok well now I don't feel bad anymore cuz in the NBA lakers some how ended up with the 4th overall and i feel bad for knicks, cavs, and suns fans. Somehow Atl ended up with the 1st overall lol

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
Ok well now I don't feel bad anymore cuz in the NBA lakers some how ended up with the 4th overall and i feel bad for knicks, cavs, and suns fans. Somehow Atl ended up with the 1st overall lol

You must mean the Pelicans got the first overall unless I'm reading your comment wrong. But freakin lucky a** lakers moving up to 4th overall. Incoming 4th overall, Ball, Kuzma, and Hart plus a 2nd for Anthony Davis. Do it Pelicans you have Zion and the 4th plus three decent players. AD don't even wanna be there.

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
I still think Davis has his heart set on going to a bigger market but, it does give him something to ponder.

Would be quite the 1-2 punch.

I want to see who ends up with Ja Morant. That kid is one dynamic player. Could be an outstanding PG at the next level.

Personally I think Morant will be the best player chosen in this draft and he will go to Memphis and start right away. No one will take Conley's brutal contract so he's gonna have to come off the bench but I'm the only one who's not so high on Zion.

Reactions: 21Dog

kingsholygrail

We've made progress - Robitaille
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
You must mean the Pelicans got the first overall unless I'm reading your comment wrong. But freakin lucky a** lakers moving up to 4th overall. Incoming 4th overall, Ball, Kuzma, and Hart plus a 2nd for Anthony Davis. Do it Pelicans you have Zion and the 4th plus three decent players. AD don't even wanna be there.
Ball still plays?

KopitarFAN

Reno Sucks!
Oct 14, 2008
San Pedro, CA
Unfortunately for the Lakers, this is universally believed to be a 3 player draft (Zion, Morant and Barrett) so having the 4th pick isn't worth much more than #11.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
The Lakers doomed themselves when they had three #2 overall picks in a row and hit on one of them (who they traded) to draft a way crappier player. Just don't see how there is going to be demand from NO to trade for two players coming off season ending injuries, one of them is a PG who can't even play at the end of close games because he's a sub 50% FT shooter. Lavar Ball's insanity is another minus for NO.

Sure would seem more tempting to NO to draft Zion and trade AD to the Knicks for a package built around the #3 and then just built around Zion and Barrett. Assuming they are friends it probably would be easier to sign them both to extensions in 4 years. Which is a big deal to a market like NO who isn't attracting any FA's.

kings11

Sep 29, 2011
Las Vegas
The Lakers doomed themselves when they had three #2 overall picks in a row and hit on one of them (who they traded) to draft a way crappier player. Just don't see how there is going to be demand from NO to trade for two players coming off season ending injuries, one of them is a PG who can't even play at the end of close games because he's a sub 50% FT shooter. Lavar Ball's insanity is another minus for NO.

Sure would seem more tempting to NO to draft Zion and trade AD to the Knicks for a package built around the #3 and then just built around Zion and Barrett. Assuming they are friends it probably would be easier to sign them both to extensions in 4 years. Which is a big deal to a market like NO who isn't attracting any FA's.

AD still wouldnt remedy the fact that the Lakers cant shoot... I'd love for them to move #4 + Ingram to the Wizard for Bradley Beal while making runs for Jimmy Buckets, Middleton, Kawhi and KD.. Although if im being honest, no team in the NBA wants to help the Lakers..

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Jeanie Buss should have known better than to expect a Wolverine and a Spartan to be able to work together, could have told you this was going to blow up.

Seems like everything Magic has done NBA related since his HIV diagnosis has been a disaster. His first short pre-season comeback, his miserable time as head coach, his second comeback as a player where they lost in the 1st round. And now this dumpster fire as "Director of Basketball Operations" or whatever ridiculous title they gave him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad