Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVI: Bulls Draft Lottery Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
I honestly don’t remember the last time I argued with you, to be honest.

And I’ve been on this kick for a while now. It has nothing to do with you, so no need to take it personal.

Eh. I'm not. Half the board has a problem with my opinions and I'm still here, aren't I?

I'm just spitballing and trying to have fun.

ANYWAYS!

STROS WIN! DODGERS LOSE!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Eh. I'm not. Half the board has a problem with my opinions and I'm still here, aren't I?

I'm just spitballing and trying to have fun.

ANYWAYS!

STROS WIN! DODGERS LOSE!

You’re good. Just wanted to make sure it’s not like I’m trying to argue with you.. you just happened to be the one to bring the topic up that I feel pretty strong about haha.

Dominating performance from the Astros tonight. Glad to see them win, but a disappointing game in an otherwise insane series.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
You’re good. Just wanted to make sure it’s not like I’m trying to argue with you.. you just happened to be the one to bring the topic up that I feel pretty strong about haha.

Dominating performance from the Astros tonight. Glad to see them win, but a disappointing game in an otherwise insane series.

:D

Well they can't say "the best game 7 ever played"!

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think Roberts over managed a lot in the series and that seems to be the trend now days. I get that you don't want to let your starter get rocked the third time through the order but preemptively pulling starters who are pitching well just taxes the hell out of your pen and puts them in situations they aren't used too.

I think the pendulum has swung too far in terms of relying on the pen. Obviously that wasn't the case tonight as Yu didn't give him a choice, but I think it really hurt them in the series.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I think Roberts over managed a lot in the series and that seems to be the trend now days. I get that you don't want to let your starter get rocked the third time through the order but preemptively pulling starters who are pitching well just taxes the hell out of your pen and puts them in situations they aren't used too.

I think the pendulum has swung too far in terms of relying on the pen. Obviously that wasn't the case tonight as Yu didn't give him a choice, but I think it really hurt them in the series.
If I didn't trust Yu Darvish in a Game 7 pressure situation, I have to think everyone in the Dodgers locker room knew it too. That was Darvish's m.o. in Texas. Everyone said he was terrible in pressure situations. I think Tim Kurkjan said that Darvish got physically sick before big games at Texas.

IMO, when Darvish struggled in the first inning, Roberts should have pulled him.

That said, the Dodgers can't re sign him ... right? Would the Cubs make a run at him? I hope not.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Having watched some college basketball highlights ... I'm not that impressed with Marvin Bagley. He's kind of stiff and lefty dominant. He's big and has talent, but he has a long way to go. It's only one game, but it'll be interesting to see how he develops at Duke.

Mizzou's Michael Porter, Jr. looks like the real deal. He's big, athletic, fluid, and skilled with touch. It might take him some time to adjust to the college game, but his game will translate to the pros. He's going to be a good one. For Illini fans, I'm sorry to say Tilmon looks like he's going to be very good too. He's long, athletic, and fluid for a big man.

Arizona's Ayton looks like Patrick Ewing. He's extremely athletic and strong for a kid close to 7 feet. Surprisingly, he, too, looked a bit stiff. He's almost too muscle bound. It'll be interesting to see how he develops at Arizona.

It's all early ... but you never know about prospects until they play against players of similar physical talent and size. They are all going to be good college players, but I'm more interested how their game translate to today's NBA for the purpose of the Bulls.

Last edited:

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't understand why you didn't just start Kershaw, and let him go as long as he can. The trend these days if for pitchers to only pitch 3-4 innings in a game like this anyway. He's your best weapon, let him be on as normal of a routine as possible and just let him go till you see the wheels fall off. Then bring in Darvish. At that point I think it's easier to pull Darvish if he can't even get through an inning.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't understand why you didn't just start Kershaw, and let him go as long as he can. The trend these days if for pitchers to only pitch 3-4 innings in a game like this anyway. He's your best weapon, let him be on as normal of a routine as possible and just let him go till you see the wheels fall off. Then bring in Darvish. At that point I think it's easier to pull Darvish if he can't even get through an inning.

I agree with this. If you know Kershaw is good for several innings, why not start with him and ride him as long as you can.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I think some of this "start Kershaw" talk is hindsight bias. Yes he is a fantastic pitcher but he also threw 94 pitches just three days before and as we saw with a guy like Kluber last season, often times even incredible starting pitchers don't perform well on short rest. Now, obviously, Kershaw went out and threw great yesterday but nobody knew he would do that going into the game.

In my mind I would've gone with Wood instead of Darvish but you're still dealing with a guy on shortish rest but at least he's performed whereas Darvish hadn't.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I think some of this "start Kershaw" talk is hindsight bias. Yes he is a fantastic pitcher but he also threw 94 pitches just three days before and as we saw with a guy like Kluber last season, often times even incredible starting pitchers don't perform well on short rest. Now, obviously, Kershaw went out and threw great yesterday but nobody knew he would do that going into the game.

In my mind I would've gone with Wood instead of Darvish but you're still dealing with a guy on shortish rest but at least he's performed whereas Darvish hadn't.

I disagree. The way Roberts had been managing you knew this was going to be a bullpen, piece it together, type of game and you knew Kershaw was going to be the first guy out of the pen. If that's the case, you start with your best foot forward. Especially given Darvish's game earlier in the series. On top of that, it seems to go against the way Roberts has managed all series. He wants the best matchup every time and then figures it out later. Kershaw is your best, start with him, see how far he can go and piece it together after that.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Just curious what everyone thinks of Les Grobstein..?

I used to listen to him when I was a kid and I liked him. A little kooky but brought a lot of energy to the overnight slot. IIRC, he came on after T-Dub, loved T-Dub, he was my fav. Very eccentric though, Grobber. I think he's best when he's taking calls because it's usually only weirdos calling his show on an overnight slot, so then it provides a contrast and he actually sounds pretty measured and reasonable in comparison.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Just curious what everyone thinks of Les Grobstein..?

He's a little loony/eccentric, IMO. I've always thought his overnight show was entertaining, though. Used to listen a lot on my way home, when I was working a second shift from 3pm-11pm.

I do also think he knows his stuff fairly well.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
He's on the spectrum
Jr42od2.gif

I haven't listened to him in years. He's out there. I used to listen as a kid. He almost knows too much though. Someone will call in to talk about whatever and it will remind him of a regular season game in 1973 that he'll talk about for 10 minutes.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I always liked listening to Les. Being someone who often worked late shifts, I've been listening to him on and off since the 90's. His baseball and football knowledge is ridiculous. His hockey knowledge is mediocre.

Of course, there was that odd story where he supposedly pooped all over the Score studios one morning a few years back.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I always liked listening to Les. Being someone who often worked late shifts, I've been listening to him on and off since the 90's. His baseball and football knowledge is ridiculous. His hockey knowledge is mediocre.

Of course, there was that odd story where he supposedly pooped all over the Score studios one morning a few years back.

How am I just hearing about this for the first time?

giphy.gif

https://deadspin.com/chicago-sports-radio-host-shits-in-the-studio-flees-th-1553315358

Reactions: Sarava

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I enjoy listening to Les when I'm on my way home around 4am a few nights a week. His memory is on another level

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
ESPN's Zach Lowe on the Bulls' "Chuck and Pray" 3 point offense ...

I never imagined I could be so excited for the return of Zach LaVine. One of the lasting, gross images of Chicago's 1-5 start will be Holiday doing stuff like this ...

It's tempting to excuse such chuckery by saying someone on the sad-sack Bulls has to shoot. Their point guards can't create for themselves. Opponents know that, and so they switch most two-man actions featuring Lauri Markkanen -- vaporizing Markkanen's pick-and pop 3s. (Fred Hoiberg has found other funky ways to free Markkanen, whose game looks as smooth as advertised.)

But no one -- and certainly not Justin Holiday -- has to puke up a long 2-pointer with a defender in his jersey and 13 seconds on the shot clock.

Holiday is shooting 31 percent on almost 16 shots per 36 minutes. Only 61 players in the entire 3-point era have hit worse than 40 percent on at least 15 shots per 36 minutes, per Basketball-Reference. (A few did it more than once.) Only one -- Kobe Bryant, checking in at 35.8 percent in his final season -- shot worse than 36 percent on that many attempts.

Holiday is on pace for the worst high-volume shooting season ever. Even Antoine Walker is aghast. Holiday has 10 assists, so it's not as if he's driving-and-kicking the Bulls into good looks elsewhere.

This will change. Holiday will get hot, and his attempts will normalize once LaVine, Bobby Portis and Nikola Mirotic return. But, man, has it been ugly.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-things-like-featuring-kristaps-porzingis-nba

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad