Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LVI: Bulls Draft Lottery Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Same ball for both teams. who cares.
I think you're right. It stinks for the players ... but it's great for the fans. As long as it's not dangerous, who cares (from a fan's perspective)?

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Same ball for both teams. who cares.

To each their own, but to hear players talk about it, it's really effecting the games. I hate that it's different for the world series. If MLB wants to use these ball all the time to increase offense, that's one thing. To make a change in the world series is unfair to all of the pitchers and to me personally, it cheapens what has been an amazing series.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I was waiting for him to get rocked by the dude next to him.

However, it seems that is his brother and sister in law. Funny stuff.
Brother in law or not, I would have punched him for sure, especially assuming I had a few, which would have been the case. Maybe I'm overreacting her but that might ruin the relationship (obviously punching him wouldn't help) with the brother in law. It's a world series homerun ball!

Read it wrong, it's his brother. Still would have rocked him, probably wouldn't effect the relationship though, lol.

Last edited:
Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Brother in law or not, I would have punched him for sure, especially assuming I had a few, which would have been the case. Maybe I'm overreacting her but that might ruin the relationship (obviously punching him wouldn't help) with the brother in law. It's a world series homerun ball!
I'm with you. I don't care if it was family or not. If it were me or my GF, and my brother, or an in-law snatched a homerun ball in the world series out of one of our hands, and threw it back onto the field, I'd toss his ass down onto the field to go get it back. :laugh:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
To each their own, but to hear players talk about it, it's really effecting the games. I hate that it's different for the world series. If MLB wants to use these ball all the time to increase offense, that's one thing. To make a change in the world series is unfair to all of the pitchers and to me personally, it cheapens what has been an amazing series.
Believe me, it would bother me like no other if I was a Dodgers fan and losing the series 3-2. However, I have no skin in the World Series this year. I just want to be entertained. The players are just going to have to deal for my selfish motives.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I was waiting for him to get rocked by the dude next to him.

However, it seems that is his brother and sister in law. Funny stuff.
to tell you the truth, family or not, the game is on. i am surprise there was any tussle.

Cubs2024WSChamps

Tate MacRae follows me on Tiktok
Apr 29, 2015
So no one here really cares how many twitter followers someone has. Not a dig, just pointing it out.
Considering many here have Twitter's and write on either Blogs or second hand sites, I am almost positive they care about follows.

Twitter is the internet Mecca of social media. As a Twitch streamer who runs a day about hockey, I have reach many writing blogs hoping to get noticed wished they had. I've turned down jobs many so called "insiders" wished they had to get net cred. Followers do matter. Granted, I shouldn't throw a solid, respectable number around that I have but that wasn't the point of the topic at hand.

Personally, I wish everybody had the reach I do. But I did put the effort into it. I understand there those who say nobody cares, but if they DID have 50K follows, I'm pretty sure they would. It's intimidating, when you have an opinion and somebody comes along who has an opinion that people actually enjoy, I get it. I frequent a few forums and Reddit regularly, doesn't phase me. I consider it just another thing about the internet. :)

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Considering many here have Twitter's and write on either Blogs or second hand sites, I am almost positive they care about follows.

Twitter is the internet Mecca of social media. As a Twitch streamer who runs a day about hockey, I have reach many writing blogs hoping to get noticed wished they had. I've turned down jobs many so called "insiders" wished they had to get net cred. Followers do matter. Granted, I shouldn't throw a solid, respectable number around that I have but that wasn't the point of the topic at hand.

Personally, I wish everybody had the reach I do. But I did put the effort into it. I understand there those who say nobody cares, but if they DID have 50K follows, I'm pretty sure they would. It's intimidating, when you have an opinion and somebody comes along who has an opinion that people actually enjoy, I get it. I frequent a few forums and Reddit regularly, doesn't phase me. I consider it just another thing about the internet. :)
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Followers don't matter, but they really do?

The topic at hand was that everyone can have an opinion ... but not everyone has credibility. Hence, it's easy to source a blogger from Podunk and claim it as credible in today's internet age. Just having a website and Twitter does not make one credible. That's the point. At least with followers that user has some accountability as YOU point out.

Lord knows how many idiots with Twitter and a website try to move the financial markets. Half the time on Wall Street is to dispel the rumors idiots with internet access try to pass as credible information.

I quote Dirty Harry: Opinions are like ********. Everyone has one.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
As a Twitch streamer who runs a day about hockey, I have reach many writing blogs hoping to get noticed wished they had. I've turned down jobs many so called "insiders" wished they had to get net cred. Followers do matter.

What does the bolded mean?

Twitter is quickly turning into a cesspool of trolls and loosing some of it influence due to that. Instagram and others are slowly catching up. Twitch.tv is a cesspool of trolls that used to be a great place for the gaming community. It is just brutal at this point.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011

Twitter is quickly turning into a cesspool of trolls and loosing some of it influence due to that. Instagram and others are slowly catching up. Twitch.tv is a cesspool of trolls that used to be a great place for the gaming community. It is just brutal at this point.

I'm assuming it means he plays/streams him playing some NHL game and thinks that makes him credible or something? :dunno:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
You're talking out of both sides of your mouth. Followers don't matter, but they really do?
Depending on the circumstance, 2k followers ain't bad. It's more then every writer at The Hockey Writers and BlackhawkUp. If you take either one of those sites seriously(I don't), then maybe you should give a guy with 2K follows a chance?

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015

Wait, Twitch and Twitter are cesspools, yet message boards aren't? Seriously?

The only people who talk down on social media are those who have no clue how to use them effectively, imo. This forum itself upgraded into a cheap version of twitter for crying out loud :D

I can understand many being upset with Twitch. It's a tough racket and if you didn't get in before the influx of YouTubers nobody is going to watch you. Thankfully I did. There's less twitch trolls then trolls on message forums since it's easier to weed them out with mods who actually moderate. I pay mine, maybe that's why I don't have issues.

And, if Twitter was a "cesspool" then nobody, including the president, would use it. Nobody wants their name attached to a "cesspool". That's common sense. Insta had no choice but to catch up because Twitter has been around longer. That's common sense also.

Hope that helps.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Wait, Twitch and Twitter are cesspools, yet message boards aren't? Seriously?

The only people who talk down on social media are those who have no clue how to use them effectively, imo. This forum itself upgraded into a cheap version of twitter for crying out loud :D

I can understand many being upset with Twitch. It's a tough racket and if you didn't get in before the influx of YouTubers nobody is going to watch you. Thankfully I did. There's less twitch trolls then trolls on message forums since it's easier to weed them out with mods who actually moderate. I pay mine, maybe that's why I don't have issues.

And, if Twitter was a "cesspool" then nobody, including the president, would use it. Nobody wants their name attached to a "cesspool". That's common sense. Insta had no choice but to catch up because Twitter has been around longer. That's common sense also.

Hope that helps.

There are less trolls here than twitter and twitch but HF is one of the more moderated boards around (thankfully). The unmoderated forums are the worst but every knows that.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying about twitter and twitch. They both are loaded with trolls and they are unmoderated which derail and trash conversations (twitch depends on the mods who rarely keep the big channels running well, look at Lirik or Sodapoppin or Atheen). Are they both still great social tools? Absolutely and I never said they weren't. Not point in trying to imply that.

Who is upset with Twitch? It has been a great tool for streamers but anyone who says it is not a cesspool of trolls is being foolish. Assuming you attached when it was still Justin.tv? You are trying to show how successful you are at streaming when no one cares in the context of this conversation. I have no issue with what you do and I also could careless.

Your claim that people would not attach their name to it if it is a cesspool is not really true because most people will do anything for a buck and twitter is no different. You can be a great marketing tool and a cesspool of trolls at the same time.

Again, you can be a critic of something but still understand the usefulness. Both twitter and twitch are great social media tools that have the largest troll populations around. This is common sense.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I never said I was credible, only stated I had a bigger reach then many. #keepingitreal

I think you are catching shit because in the past it seems like you use you number of followers as an indication of your IQ/intelligence on subjects. Intentional or not, it makes you look foolish at times. I could careless either way. #keepingitreal

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Depending on the circumstance, 2k followers ain't bad. It's more then every writer at The Hockey Writers and BlackhawkUp. If you take either one of those sites seriously(I don't), then maybe you should give a guy with 2K follows a chance?
I have no problem with giving people a chance. HOWEVER, it's a different story when you SOURCE them as reliable / credible opinions/analysis. Credibility takes time to build. That's why we use ESPN, CBS Sports, FoxSports, The Ringer, NBC Sports, Sports Illustrated, etc. ... AND TO BE HONEST, they are not always professional either. That's WITH millions of eyeballs watching them.

Hence, when you use a source from Podunk Twitter as the basis of credible evidence ... it's only common sense to question it. Even moreso when the source has a following of 2000 people. That doesn't mean the source is right or wrong ... but at least I want to know that there are a lot people keeping him or her accountable. Like you said, when you have a lot people relying on your information, you are far more likely to vet it out.

It was like that when I worked at a bulge bracket ... before I went private. Years ago, when I screwed up, analysts / media called me out. It kept me accountable.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
There are less trolls here than twitter and twitch but HF is one of the more moderated boards around (thankfully). The unmoderated forums are the worst but every knows that.

You are misunderstanding what I am saying about twitter and twitch. They both are loaded with trolls and they are unmoderated which derail and trash conversations (twitch depends on the mods who rarely keep the big channels running well, look at Lirik or Sodapoppin or Atheen). Are they both still great social tools? Absolutely and I never said they weren't. Not point in trying to imply that.

Who is upset with Twitch? It has been a great tool for streamers but anyone who says it is not a cesspool of trolls is being foolish. Assuming you attached when it was still Justin.tv? You are trying to show how successful you are at streaming when no one cares in the context of this conversation. I have no issue with what you do and I also could careless.

Your claim that people would not attach their name to it if it is a cesspool is not really true because most people will do anything for a buck and twitter is no different. You can be a great marketing tool and a cesspool of trolls at the same time.

Again, you can be a critic of something but still understand the usefulness. Both twitter and twitch are great social media tools that have the largest troll populations around. This is common sense.
You stated;
"Twitch is just brutal"
No, it's not. If you are reading Sodas chat which, surely runs too fast to read, then your trolling yourself. I personally have had no issues with Twitch. That being said, I don't watch Soda so I honestly have no clue just how trolled up his stream is. Making a blanket statement like "twitch is brutal" is detrimental as a whole.

As for Twitter, getting rid of trolls is a button click away. There is moderation, it's you. Common sense. I can also recall there's times when others are twitter banned. It's moderated, not as strictly, but it's there. Twitter is just a bigger stage then a message board that doesn't rely on others holding your hand for you. Don't like certain content? Block the content yourself.

This forum allowed somebodies personal information to be posted without their consent. Is that good moderation? And while it was deleted, Twitter doesn't play around with that type of garbage.
They helped somebody who was doxxed into filing a police report on the person who doxxed them.

"Cesspool", I don't know about that. I honestly don't think high profile people would be posting on a social media app that was considered a "cesspool" because of trolls. If that was the case, why isn't any high profile hockey fans posting here under their actual names like they do on Twitter? I don't see posts here used on media sites, but I do see Twitter tweets. It's a marketing tool? But a "cesspool"......

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
You stated;
"Twitch is just brutal"
No, it's not. If you are reading Sodas chat which, surely runs too fast to read, then your trolling yourself. I personally have had no issues with Twitch. That being said, I don't watch Soda so I honestly have no clue just how trolled up his stream is. Making a blanket statement like "twitch is brutal" is detrimental as a whole.

As for Twitter, getting rid of trolls is a button click away. There is moderation, it's you. Common sense. I can also recall there's times when others are twitter banned. It's moderated, not as strictly, but it's there. Twitter is just a bigger stage then a message board that doesn't rely on others holding your hand for you. Don't like certain content? Block the content yourself.

This forum allowed somebodies personal information to be posted without their consent. Is that good moderation? And while it was deleted, Twitter doesn't play around with that type of garbage.
They helped somebody who was doxxed into filing a police report on the person who doxxed them.

"Cesspool", I don't know about that. I honestly don't think high profile people would be posting on a social media app that was considered a "cesspool" because of trolls. If that was the case, why isn't any high profile hockey fans posting here under their actual names like they do on Twitter? I don't see posts here used on media sites, but I do see Twitter tweets. It's a marketing tool? But a "cesspool"......
By the way, you were WRONG about your "doxxing" comment and how it was used on this board at that time.

If you don't know the basis of "Right of Publicity and Misappropriation," I suggest you keep quiet.

You supposedly have 50K followers. Do some due diligence. This is what I mean when the internet decides to have an opinion on something without vetting things out. You don't know tort law ... that is obvious. ZERO accountability.

Last edited:

Cubs2024WSChamps

Apr 29, 2015
By the way, you were WRONG about your "doxxing" comment and how it was used on this board at that time.

If you don't know the basis of "Right of Publicity and Misappropriation," I suggest you keep quiet.

You supposedly have 50K followers. Do some due diligence.
I know what you can and can't do, and you cannot post up anybody's personal information without their written consent.

This is from personal experience, not copied and pasted from internet sites. Depending on where you live and the laws of the state you live in. I live in Illinois where they have strict cyber crime laws. I also think before I post things and refuse to post somebodies personal information to prove a point. The blogger isn't a public figure. He's a blogger who doesn't post here.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
You stated;
"Twitch is just brutal"

Again, Twitch is brutal from a troll standpoint and not in general. So you are just not getting what I am saying. This is the furthest thing from a blanket statement as I cite reason why and example. I even clarify it is not every channel but it is most of the larger ones.

Getting rid of trolls is one click away but that is not the point. The point is they are abundant and rampant on both Twitch and Twitter.

BTW, what Piteus did was not illegal. The twitter publicly displayed the information so they forgo the right to privacy. It would be different if they had sent it via pm but they didn't as the posted it on their PUBLIC website. It would be a crime if he used the data to blackmail the individual. The twitter poster actively posted that information to the public as a informative post about his basketball background. The laws on this are very grey but you made a big deal out of nothing.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I know what you can and can't do, and you cannot post up anybody's personal information without their written consent.

This is from personal experience, not copied and pasted from internet sites. Depending on where you live and the laws of the state you live in. I live in Illinois where they have strict cyber crime laws. I also think before I post things and refuse to post somebodies personal information to prove a point. The blogger isn't a public figure. He's a blogger who doesn't post here.
Learn the law. If you don't know what Right of Publicity and Misappropriation is ... read up on it. What I did was not proper internet etiquette ... it did NOT break any laws. If you don't believe me, got talk to a tort lawyer.

And if you want to use your "personal experience" to cite as an example ... GIVE DETAILS. You don't just get to go ... "it happened to my relative so you have to believe me."

I actually gave a detailed legal reasoning for why you are wrong that was thrown out with the bath water.

As long as you source the bio (which I did) ... it's perfectly legal as long as that person publicly released it on his on free will. If you don't believe me, it's what CNN, FOX, CBS, NBC, etc. does all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad