OT: OT-what he doesn’t know is this is a buck and a quarter quarter staff

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

newfiejesus

Sep 19, 2016
Newfoundland
I went from no allergies to pretty much everything thanks to the vax cocktails giving while in the military. Iodine, shellfish, insect stings etc etc which sucks as I love shrimp, crab, lobster, squid etc
I have had a mild scent allergy for decades, contact with certain cologne/detergent/perfume would give me a headache or hives but not too badly. Doctors told me it'll probably get worse as I get older. This year it got worse. Had to head to emergency after a headful of cologne from passing a few teens in a hallway. IT SUCKS.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I have had a mild scent allergy for decades, contact with certain cologne/detergent/perfume would give me a headache or hives but not too badly. Doctors told me it'll probably get worse as I get older. This year it got worse. Had to head to emergency after a headful of cologne from passing a few teens in a hallway. IT SUCKS.
That sucks, damn kids with their cologne baths vice a spritz

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Up to page 28 of 218 [equals out to just above 86,000 words] in my latest round of a novel revision. Going to have to add a good chunk throughout to flesh out some stuff. I figure this will end up between 90 and 93k when this revision is finished. Then I'm pitching it, hard, for 3-6 months. No takers, I'm self-pubbing come July. If you like vivid supernatural thrillers, this one's for you.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
So I never was able to finish watching The Batman. I just couldn't get into it.

Will I be able to pick and follow the stories in the new The Penguin series on Max without having watched the movie? Is it worth even trying?

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
So I never was able to finish watching The Batman. I just couldn't get into it.

Will I be able to pick and follow the stories in the new The Penguin series on Max without having watched the movie? Is it worth even trying?
Probably I dont recall The Penguin being a major part of the main story in the movie, I know the movie is a slow burn, Riddler wasnt even really a villain until the 3rd act.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
The Costco hot dog.
Nowhere near enough mustard, relish, and onions on that Costco hot dog. I hit up Costco for lunch at least 1 workday a month. And Sweetwater revised their "tackle box" of IPAs with new flavors, so I have one of those in the garage fridge now also.
Ahhhh. If only P-Diddy suffered from the same fate, he may not have devolved into the mess he is in and has created for others.
My wife told me all about that Sunday morning (I was completely unaware - pop culture might as well be a leper colony to me - I have no interest in keeping up).
If somehow a deluxe Christmas edition box set of his "home movies" is released, I may need to get it as a Christmas gift.

• Haha
Reactions: oldgoalie

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
Welp today has been interesting so far. Had just gotten to the office and get a company wide message that the office is closed due to an issue. Had to pack up my computer etc and head home to work from home for the day.

• Wow
Reactions: Jim Bob

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
OK, I had a first at work today. I came in to an email about how layoffs at another company are affecting a project I am working on. I am only used to layoffs at my company affecting stuff.

So when I was let go from my contract role in July, I was super excited because the company that laid me off in 2023 was literally was hiring for my old job. The job I was promoted in while I was there.

I thought "f***ing slam dunk", reached out to my former coworkers, the new manager, etc. Thought an informal job offer would be forthcoming because, who would know how to do this job better than me? Well, they never reached out. At all. Not a phone call,

On Friday, I saw they were doing MORE layoffs just over a year later. Guess a bullet dodged there.

Can I just say, the 'layoff culture' around tech companies specifically needs to be regulated.

Layoffs should be 'Well, we can't afford to keep this plant/office open anymore, lets give these people a fat severance and move on'

It's become 'Well we might miss our Q3 projection by 2%, lets lay off people to prop the stock price up'. Profitable companies should not be doing mass layoffs, period. At the very least, the government can put some worker protections where the minimum severance package is so worker friendly people line up to get laid off when they say they need to reduce headcount.

Reactions: michaelsaas

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
So when I was let go from my contract role in July, I was super excited because the company that laid me off in 2023 was literally was hiring for my old job. The job I was promoted in while I was there.

I thought "f***ing slam dunk", reached out to my former coworkers, the new manager, etc. Thought an informal job offer would be forthcoming because, who would know how to do this job better than me? Well, they never reached out. At all. Not a phone call,

On Friday, I saw they were doing MORE layoffs just over a year later. Guess a bullet dodged there.

Can I just say, the 'layoff culture' around tech companies specifically needs to be regulated.

Layoffs should be 'Well, we can't afford to keep this plant/office open anymore, lets give these people a fat severance and move on'

It's become 'Well we might miss our Q3 projection by 2%, lets lay off people to prop the stock price up'. Profitable companies should not be doing mass layoffs, period. At the very least, the government can put some worker protections where the minimum severance package is so worker friendly people line up to get laid off when they say they need to reduce headcount.
To be fair, my company has been on a slow downward spiral for decades.

And the people that were laid off from the company we are dealing with were not impressive to say the least. Things are already going better on this project and the layoffs are less than two weeks old.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
My job was reduced last month just as my former employer's quarterly earnings statement was due. They touted the reduction in headcount as one major factor in how they plan to improve profitability.

I mean, I get if a company is losing money. But that wasn't the case. Not really. Layoffs based on EPS is bullshit.

12,000 employees laid off in one month globally. And the layoffs have continued to trickle in almost every week.

As for severance, mine wasn't bad but maxing it out at 26 weeks in value is BS. It screws over the people that have invested more time into the company. I only ended up losing 1 week's worth of salary in my severance because of it, but still.... the tech job market in Austin is totally crap right now (except for very specific programming experience).

EDIT: So part of my job was working in Twitter ... err, X. Very public and visible job duties where Senior Management (Michael Dell included) paid attention to what I posted. Or didn't post. Etc.

Nobody has picked up that job and those accounts haven't posted since I was let go. :huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad