Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
FB_IMG_1719977774611.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: sabremike

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
It's funny, last night I was talking to a couple mid 50s guys that are scoping the area while thinking about retiring here. They mentioned how a certain YouTuber hates me and gave a long list of his do's and don't to have a good time and save money. One they mentioned was as Old Men not to bother going to clubs as they'll be ignored and it's a waste of money, of which I called bs on.

Well $230 gets you VIP table for 7, 3 bottles with mixers and a few plates of food. 3 Old Men in t-shirt, and cargo shorts spent the night surrounded by a bevy of beautiful women. They each left the club at 6am with a girl while I swung by McDonald's for a sausage egg Mcmuffin on the way home before my whopping hour or so nap. Though I could have had takeout from the club, I don't bring girls home with my caretakers and housekeeper there

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Well it’s been a great weekend so far. One of my friends that I grew up with wasn’t feeling well, so he called for an ambulance after a couple of days of this. They came, decided he needs to go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived he was DOA of a heart attack at 38.

And then an hour later, my sister sends me a message telling me she has breast cancer. It’s not that far along yet, but still a gut punch after the gut punch of earlier in the day. Now I’m waiting for the third gut punch.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Well it’s been a great weekend so far. One of my friends that I grew up with wasn’t feeling well, so he called for an ambulance after a couple of days of this. They came, decided he needs to go to the hospital, and by the time they arrived he was DOA of a heart attack at 38.

And then an hour later, my sister sends me a message telling me she has breast cancer. It’s not that far along yet, but still a gut punch after the gut punch of earlier in the day. Now I’m waiting for the third gut punch.
My condolences on your friend. Hopefully they diagnosed your sister early enough so she can beat it

Reactions: MarkusKetterer

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Condolences on your loss. Sounds like a rough day.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
I took everyone off ignore at the end of the season (April), but there is atleast a dozen going back on real soon (was trying to wait til the start of the season because a few of them do have good takes most of the time)
I'm back up to 20. I think that says more about my mental state than the actual posters. :laugh:

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003

Sorry for your loss.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Sorry about your friend. 38 is way too young.

And good luck to your sister. Sounds like they caught it early, so hopefully she kicks cancer’s butt!

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport

Sorry to hear on both counts. 38 is way too young.

Not going to lie hearing stuff like that scares the shit out of me. I’m 41 and in relatively good health with the exception of my weight. Which my weight has be a yo-yo style struggle for a while now. It’ll slowly creep up and up and I’ll want to do something about it but will lack the motivation to do anything until I finally hit a point that I force myself to do something and will do really well for a while and then lose motivation and start the yo-yo process over again.

Part of the problem is I get no joy out of working out. I don’t enjoy it at all. Part of it is I like the wrong types of food too much and part of it is not taking or having the time to find food/recipes that are better for me that I like. Plus doing that experimenting can be damn expensive.

With that said I’m approaching the “force myself to do something about it” point of the process.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

Not going to lie hearing stuff like that scares the shit out of me. I’m 41 and in relatively good health with the exception of my weight. Which my weight has be a yo-yo style struggle for a while now. It’ll slowly creep up and up and I’ll want to do something about it but will lack the motivation to do anything until I finally hit a point that I force myself to do something and will do really well for a while and then lose motivation and start the yo-yo process over again.

Part of the problem is I get no joy out of working out. I don’t enjoy it at all. Part of it is I like the wrong types of food too much and part of it is not taking or having the time to find food/recipes that are better for me that I like. Plus doing that experimenting can be damn expensive.

With that said I’m approaching the “force myself to do something about it” point of the process.

Have you found success having a workout partner? Someone else trying to get fit, the person who you can rib/chide/slap into getting into the gym who will do the same for you? I've found my best success when I have that in my life. When it's just me, it's a bigger struggle. I also had a lot of success when just flat out enraged at life. It hasn't been easy to maintain that energy. Being angry all the time is also not a great way to stay healthy.

Reactions: Mike McDermott

Gras

Mar 21, 2014
Phoenix
Have you found success having a workout partner? Someone else trying to get fit, the person who you can rib/chide/slap into getting into the gym who will do the same for you? I've found my best success when I have that in my life. When it's just me, it's a bigger struggle. I also had a lot of success when just flat out enraged at life. It hasn't been easy to maintain that energy. Being angry all the time is also not a great way to stay healthy.
I spend around 90 minutes to 2hrs Mon-Fri at the gym after work, working from home its gets me out of the house and its only 1/2 mile round trip away, been back at the gym for 2 years now. I work out alone, theres a few people Ill talk to there but I'm usually just have the music going in my ears and thats enough.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

This guy lived healthy. I mean sure he went off while he was in his early 20s (who didn’t), but for the past decade he just went to work, ate properly, and then all of a sudden… that happened. Everyone is in shock.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Mike McDermott

blah blah blah
Apr 23, 2006
Lockport
I’ve never really had a gym partner the times I’ve tried the gym. My son has recently joined our local gym but the time he is going to be going wouldn’t work for us to try and do it together. He works overnights so he is going to go before work around 8pm. I get home from work at 7 eat dinner and then my evenings are busy between homework and family stuff. I could possibly do mornings but between my sleep issues and other things energy is hard to come by early in the morning. Yes I know working out gives you energy but getting going with doing it is hard when it is something you don’t enjoy.
I spend around 90 minutes to 2hrs Mon-Fri at the gym after work, working from home its gets me out of the house and its only 1/2 mile round trip away, been back at the gym for 2 years now. I work out alone, theres a few people Ill talk to there but I'm usually just have the music going in my ears and thats enough.
I wish I had that determination/kind of time. Kudos to you.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
I've been doing 30min on the stationary bike, then I'll do about an hour on my universal followed by 90min walking in my pool. Been trying to rebuild muscle mass and mobility that I lost from the achilles surgery. No hockey means I can start by 7am and finish in time for the housekeeper to feed me lunch. Then take a nice afternoon siesta and check on my bars from about 5ish to 1ish

Reactions: yahhockey

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY

Heart attack at 38, no preexisting conditions or symptoms?

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Nothing. Had a clean bill of health. He cut out everything
Thats so crazy I'm so sorry. I've been having some weird health issues lately. Been having some episodes of randomly passing out. Had a million tests done on me including several EKGS/MRIs/Echogram and they found nothing wrong. They diagnosed me with cardiovascular syncope. I'm 36 and just ran a half marathon in right around 2 hrs.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I’ve never really had a gym partner the times I’ve tried the gym. My son has recently joined our local gym but the time he is going to be going wouldn’t work for us to try and do it together. He works overnights so he is going to go before work around 8pm. I get home from work at 7 eat dinner and then my evenings are busy between homework and family stuff. I could possibly do mornings but between my sleep issues and other things energy is hard to come by early in the morning. Yes I know working out gives you energy but getting going with doing it is hard when it is something you don’t enjoy.

I wish I had that determination/kind of time. Kudos to you.

It's about finding what works for you.

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
Thats so crazy I'm so sorry. I've been having some weird health issues lately. Been having some episodes of randomly passing out. Had a million tests done on me including several EKGS/MRIs/Echogram and they found nothing wrong. They diagnosed me with cardiovascular syncope. I'm 36 and just ran a half marathon in right around 2 hrs.

Hope things work out for you. I’ve had people die throughout my life that were around the same age, and it’s sobering to know that any day that your time is up. Unfortunately it f***ed me over for years and it affected me to the point where I had successfully “unalived” (hate that term but it might avoid a censor) myself. Now I’m at the point where I see so much to live for. Even if in theory me living annoys someone :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad