Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I don’t think you can look at the Punnett deal and extrapolate a real value. That one was an anomaly. Punnett was traded for a 3rd and a 6th. Both OS and Ottawa would keep the player before trading them for that. They both play an integral role for their teams.

The only way a deal like that goes down is if the player demands a trade to a specific team and if not traded, they leave and go to school for a semester.

I think you need to look more at the Mayer, Mancini, and Schmidt deals to get a better sense of what either of those deals would look like. Both would start at a 2nd and 3rd and depending on the competitiveness of the market for those players, it would go up from there.

Last edited:
Reactions: BarberPole9

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
It's a unique situation in

I guess we will see how things work out.
I'm fairly familiar with things in OS, I happen to think Degray would be fine finishing the year with 2 OA if need be .

It may be all moot .

For all those who would love KS, he may not be going anywhere . Time will tell.
Yeah it wouldn’t surprise me at all if Smith himself prefers to stay in Owen sound all season, as he was traded last year. If they’re good enough to finish 7-8, which I think they are, he may opt to stay.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
The amount of TOI Roobroeck is getting in Hartford, he may be back also.

Last edited by a moderator:

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
The amount of TOI Roobroeck is getting in Hartford, he may be back also.

I’m not so sure about Roobroeck because of his size. I think HE would benefit from it but I think they will jsut live with it in HArtford and allow him time to find the pace and contribute. At this point, I cannot see them sending him back. It is unfortunate. It means they need to go out and get a centre without any doubt at all. That is on top of a rougher style D-Man.

I think you are correct that D’Amato needs to be swapped for a different version of player. That may not need to be an OA though. They could get the higher priced 19 year old and then fill the Centre role with a cheaper OA.

Senneke plays with Ritchie and Barlow plays with whomever they acquire. Two lines deep with Griffn doing his best in the 3C role.

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
I’m not so sure about Roobroeck because of his size. I think HE would benefit from it but I think they will jsut live with it in HArtford and allow him time to find the pace and contribute. At this point, I cannot see them sending him back. It is unfortunate. It means they need to go out and get a centre without any doubt at all. That is on top of a rougher style D-Man.

I think you are correct that D’Amato needs to be swapped for a different version of player. That may not need to be an OA though. They could get the higher priced 19 year old and then fill the Centre role with a cheaper OA.
Definitely agree that D'Amato needs to be moved. Whether they go OA dman for him or get an 05 dman like a Bronson Ride would be a good add then you could get an OA forward. But I think the bigger hole right now is the Defensive side because at this point, Ritchie will be back, we are just watching the clock while Colorado deals with Injuries.

I feel pretty confident in Ritchie suiting up for the Gens Nov 1st.

As for Roobroek, I think it's still 50/50. Just depends what New York management sees is best for him and none of us know what that is.

Reactions: OMG67

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Cal Ritchie in NHL game 5:
0G, 0A, +/-0, 1 shot, 0 blocks, 0 hits, 13:18 TOI (9th most among COL F's)

Hartford won 6-5 but Roobroeck finished with 0 points, -1 rating and 2 PIM

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Ritchie should be back soon.
Nichushkin is back skating in Colorado which likely means he’s close to being discharged from the player assistance program.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Really impressive game last night. That’s a very good, very veteran Saginaw team who knows how to win and are coming off dominating London in London and then beating Brampton in Brampton, probably the top 2 teams in the league. And the Gens thoroughly outplayed them for 50 minutes and then locked it down defensively for Saginaw’s big push in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd.

Sennecke was incredible last night. 2G/2A and had several other really good chances as well.

You see the difference between the teams middle 6’s as Saginaw’s is so veteran and that Hay/Sima 3rd line get getting the team energy with hard working shifts but the Gens much younger middle 6 players didn’t back down from them which was nice to see. Thought Rogowski and Toms had one of their better games.

The Gens will need to get older in the middle 6 but you don’t need to do that until the deadline. Let Rogowski, Franssen, Smith, Toms, etc. keep getting big minutes to develop for the future.

In non-OHL news, Ritchie played the fewest he’s played in any game in his 6th NHL game. Just 1 point in those 6 games now. More and more Colorado writers say he’ll likely be sent back in the next 7-10 days.

Roobroeck has played 4 AHL games, 0 points. Been 4C in all of them

Reactions: frontsfan67

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Really impressive game last night. That’s a very good, very veteran Saginaw team who knows how to win and are coming off dominating London in London and then beating Brampton in Brampton, probably the top 2 teams in the league. And the Gens thoroughly outplayed them for 50 minutes and then locked it down defensively for Saginaw’s big push in the last 10 minutes of the 3rd.

Sennecke was incredible last night. 2G/2A and had several other really good chances as well.

You see the difference between the teams middle 6’s as Saginaw’s is so veteran and that Hay/Sima 3rd line get getting the team energy with hard working shifts but the Gens much younger middle 6 players didn’t back down from them which was nice to see. Thought Rogowski and Toms had one of their better games.

The Gens will need to get older in the middle 6 but you don’t need to do that until the deadline. Let Rogowski, Franssen, Smith, Toms, etc. keep getting big minutes to develop for the future.

In non-OHL news, Ritchie played the fewest he’s played in any game in his 6th NHL game. Just 1 point in those 6 games now. More and more Colorado writers say he’ll likely be sent back in the next 7-10 days.

Roobroeck has played 4 AHL games, 0 points. Been 4C in all of them

Brantford getting Hamara and apparently Jiricek is already skating with the team so he will be reassigned soon too. I know I said they are a “next year” team but I did not expect two freebie D-Men returned to them. All of a sudden, I think we need to take them more seriously.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Brantford getting Hamara and apparently Jiricek is already skating with the team so he will be reassigned soon too. I know I said they are a “next year” team but I did not expect two freebie D-Men returned to them. All of a sudden, I think we need to take them more seriously.
Brantford has the ability to be a nasty team.
Would like to see them add some scoring depth but i would not overlook them either.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Brantford has the ability to be a nasty team.
Would like to see them add some scoring depth but i would not overlook them either.

They been the team I have circled for Mews since the offseason when you mentioned Mews wanted out. I think he’d be a good add for them. Then add on solid scoring forward and they may be set up nicely.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
They been the team I have circled for Mews since the offseason when you mentioned Mews wanted out. I think he’d be a good add for them. Then add on solid scoring forward and they may be set up nicely.
I hope they do get Mews as he’ll be in Mckee’s doghouse in no time and bring down their overall team defence. hamara is a solid player but not a real needle mover imo. Jiricek could be really good though.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
Which is idiotic imo. Playing 4th line with no PP time, generating little to no offence and for what? So they have a future AHL bottom 6 guy? Send him back to junior where he can build confidence and continue refining his skill set.
There's not much benefit to returning him to Oshawa for the Rangers organization.
He has the size already now he needs to adapt to playing with Men that are his size instead of dominating 160lb teenagers.
From a business stand point paying him to play for Oshawa makes zero sense.
Aside from playing more ice time development wise I don't see much upside either as he's gaining nothing but Minutes playing in Oshawa. If anything he will likely not be able to kick some bad habits that he gets away with playing against kids.
It's not like playing in the OHL against kids this season will turn him into a top 6 AHL Forward. It will just slow down his ability to adapt to pro hockey.

You guys are looking at it from the Oshawa perspective of wanting to win this season but not exactly what's best for the player imo.
If this was a player that was not big enough and strong enough this is a different story.
You do not through a 20 year old into the AHL and play him 20 mins a game he needs to adapt by being on the ice in a limited role seeing the difference in speed and size of the players there.
It's completely different hockey.

Last edited:

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
There's not much benefit to returning him to Oshawa for the Rangers organization.
He has the size already now he needs to adapt to playing with Men that are his size instead of dominating 160lb teenagers.
From a business stand point paying him to play for Oshawa makes zero sense.
Aside from playing more ice time development wise I don't see much upside either as he's gaining nothing but Minutes playing in Oshawa. If anything he will likely not be able to kick some bad habits that he gets away with playing against kids.
It's not like playing in the OHL against kids this season will turn him into a top 6 AHL Forward. It will just slow down his ability to adapt to pro hockey.

You guys are looking at it from the Oshawa perspective of wanting to win this season but not exactly what's best for the player imo.
If this was a player that was not big enough and strong enough this is a different story.
You do not through a 20 year old into the AHL and play him 20 mins a game he needs to adapt by being on the ice in a limited role seeing the difference in speed and size of the players there.
Yeah those are good points, I tend to agree but I also see the benefit from him spending a year in junior as opposed to riding the pine and essentially losing a year of development, skill wise. I know he’s huge and will mix it up physically, but I also think there’s a lot more skill and potential offence there with him that would benefit from another year as a go to guy, playing all situations and coming into next year with more confidence. He’ll never be a Rempe or a Will Cuylle imo, despite his huge frame. He really has only had 1 year in the OHL as a top player too, and I think one more year refining his skill set would be beneficial. See someone like Konnor Smith or Jacob Julien. Unless they truly don’t view him as being anything more than a bottom 6 AHL guy for life and he’s where they expect to him to be in 2-3 years, I think one more year in junior helps more than what he’s getting now. But I do see what you’re saying.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Completely agree. If he was 6’2 180 this is a different convo but the guy is 6’7 and a good weight-205 and was noticeably faster last season which is another thing he has going for him- a big man who can skate and had a breakout year last year year on the way to pushing his team to the finals doesn’t usually stay in the OHL for an OA season.

Talked to a guy who knows Dylan very well- when I asked about if he believes he is coming back? That person told me they don’t think so- believes he will be staying in the AHL this year. That being said- I wasn’t told a, “No.” so I wouldn’t rule it out- just a low chance he comes back- perhaps as low of a chance as Paul Ludwinski with the fronts.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I hope they do get Mews as he’ll be in Mckee’s doghouse in no time and bring down their overall team defence. hamara is a solid player but not a real needle mover imo. Jiricek could be really good though.

Moore would have to be part of a deal for Mews I think.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Yeah those are good points, I tend to agree but I also see the benefit from him spending a year in junior as opposed to riding the pine and essentially losing a year of development, skill wise. I know he’s huge and will mix it up physically, but I also think there’s a lot more skill and potential offence there with him that would benefit from another year as a go to guy, playing all situations and coming into next year with more confidence. He’ll never be a Rempe or a Will Cuylle imo, despite his huge frame. He really has only had 1 year in the OHL as a top player too, and I think one more year refining his skill set would be beneficial. See someone like Konnor Smith or Jacob Julien. Unless they truly don’t view him as being anything more than a bottom 6 AHL guy for life and he’s where they expect to him to be in 2-3 years, I think one more year in junior helps more than what he’s getting now. But I do see what you’re saying.

Roobroek has already demonstrated he can dominate the slot at the OHL level. He is being challenged in the AHL, yet good enough to not be scratched.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Completely agree. If he was 6’2 180 this is a different convo but the guy is 6’7 and a good weight-205 and was noticeably faster last season which is another thing he has going for him- a big man who can skate and had a breakout year last year year on the way to pushing his team to the finals doesn’t usually stay in the OHL for an OA season.

Talked to a guy who knows Dylan very well- when I asked about if he believes he is coming back? That person told me they don’t think so- believes he will be staying in the AHL this year. That being said- I wasn’t told a, “No.” so I wouldn’t rule it out- just a low chance he comes back- perhaps as low of a chance as Paul Ludwinski with the fronts.
Yeah I think both of you raise good points and I see the argument for keeping him up. But don’t you think the strides he took last year could be stunted playing a very limited role in the AHL and likely never playing in prime situations? At that age I feel it’s important to be a go to player on a team rather than a mere depth option.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad