Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
This team looks lost to start the season.

I get it, no Ritchie but one player doesn't make a team. Watching this game tonight and it still seems like this team has no chemistry yet. Stepping over each other, 2 guys trying to play the same puck leading to turnovers and their Powerplay set up looks horrendous.

I understand new faces to the team, some just returned, some still to come but man, a roster this talented should not have only 2 wins in 7 games.

At what point does their poor showings rest on the shoulders of the coach? How much of a leash does O'Rourke have?

Really hoping they can turn things around after Windsor they have back to back with Peterborough

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

I get it, no Ritchie but one player doesn't make a team. Watching this game tonight and it still seems like this team has no chemistry yet. Stepping over each other, 2 guys trying to play the same puck leading to turnovers and their Powerplay set up looks horrendous.

I understand new faces to the team, some just returned, some still to come but man, a roster this talented should not have only 2 wins in 7 games.

At what point does their poor showings rest on the shoulders of the coach? How much of a leash does O'Rourke have?

Really hoping they can turn things around after Windsor they have back to back with Peterborough

In this case, Ritchie probably the #1 centre in the entire league can make or break the team.

Reactions: Generalsupdates

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Brantford’s window is next year. They may jump on a player like Mews if he becomes available because he’s an ‘06 and returns next year. I dont’ see a reason why they would waste assets on this year unless the player is an 18 year old OR a 19 year old that is 99% sure to return as an OA.
I would’ve said the same for Barrie before the season as they have a ton of guys coming back next year (Beaudoin, Patterson, Hemming, Aitcheson, Hillebrandt, etc). They then traded away Brauti, Moses, picks to get players in their final season because they have a chance to win it all this year despite the fact that those 2 players would’ve been solid contributors this season but then could be really really good next year. Brantford in a very similar spot and could very well think the same in the last year of Lardis, Lavoie, Thomas, Jiricek

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
I would’ve said the same for Barrie before the season as they have a ton of guys coming back next year (Beaudoin, Patterson, Hemming, Aitcheson, Hillebrandt, etc). They then traded away Brauti, Moses, picks to get players in their final season because they have a chance to win it all this year despite the fact that those 2 players would’ve been solid contributors this season but then could be really really good next year. Brantford in a very similar spot and could very well think the same in the last year of Lardis, Lavoie, Thomas, Jiricek

Except the fact the owner stated that their window is next year. He said this in an interview during last year’s playoffs. Clearly the move they made to get Leenders points to them wanting a two year goalie to support next year’s run while also helping this season. IF they were going for it this year, they could have acquired an OA goalie for peanuts. It is not like there aren’t a handful of bonafide starters available.

Reactions: dirty12

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Except the fact the owner stated that their window is next year. He said this in an interview during last year’s playoffs. Clearly the move they made to get Leenders points to them wanting a two year goalie to support next year’s run while also helping this season. IF they were going for it this year, they could have acquired an OA goalie for peanuts. It is not like there aren’t a handful of bonafide starters available.
None that are as good as Leenders. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the same thing applied to Barrie coming into this season and they've appeared to abandon that because they have a good chance to win this year. If Brantford gets hot before the deadline, and especially if the Gens don't look good, BFD could think they can win the division. Would be a lot to lose Lardis, Jiricek, Thomas, Lavoie in the off-season and not go for it around those guys

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
None that are as good as Leenders. I don't disagree with what you're saying, but the same thing applied to Barrie coming into this season and they've appeared to abandon that because they have a good chance to win this year. If Brantford gets hot before the deadline, and especially if the Gens don't look good, BFD could think they can win the division. Would be a lot to lose Lardis, Jiricek, Thomas, Lavoie in the off-season and not go for it around those guys

Gotta crawl before you walk so they show well this year, face normal graduation and still return a great roster. They could always trade Lardis and push assets forward. Depends on what they value.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Gotta crawl before you walk so they show well this year, face normal graduation and still return a great roster. They could always trade Lardis and push assets forward. Depends on what they value.
Again, I don't disagree, but Barrie entered the season in the exact same position as them and traded a really good 3 year left D and high potential 3/4 year left F to go all-in this year so just highlighting you never know what way they're gonna go until they do it. It's a lot easier for us to play armchair GM than when the GM actually sees these players every day and the work they put in and if we get to the deadline and Brantford is 1st in the East division and you have to look your players in the eye and say actually nvm we're going to trade Lardis. Tough to do

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Again, I don't disagree, but Barrie entered the season in the exact same position as them and traded a really good 3 year left D and high potential 3/4 year left F to go all-in this year so just highlighting you never know what way they're gonna go until they do it. It's a lot easier for us to play armchair GM than when the GM actually sees these players every day and the work they put in and if we get to the deadline and Brantford is 1st in the East division and you have to look your players in the eye and say actually nvm we're going to trade Lardis. Tough to do

This convo was about Musty and Smith. Brantford won’t trade for Musty. Reason? Their current strategy is to make a run next year. Musty will be traded well before they “potentially” change their strategy. This is why, as of right now, their strategy for player acquisitions is to acquire 18 year olds and maybe 19 year olds that would return as elite OAs.

To compete, they need defence (probably 3 upgrades) before they even consider a forward because that is where they are deficient, hence Mews or a player like him being a more likely acquisition.

IMO, they are more likely to trade O’Donnell for an impact 18 year old if one becomes available. Trading six picks for Smith isn’t part of the equation. If they can somehow fall into a Punnett type deal then yes for sure they’d consider that. But two 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths for Smith isn’t on the program.

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Though I did foresee Brampton doing anything to jeopardize next season, I will agree with OMG67 that Brantford sticks to the plan. But if Kingston and Oshawa do not start reeling off wins, the Bulldogs would have to consider an OA-D and one of Andonovski, Gibson, Allen if the ideal ‘06 D does not become available.

backwoods

May 5, 2024
SHWA

backwoods

May 5, 2024
SHWA
Totally agree. This team looks horrendous and is playing like a junior B team. They need to relook at this coaching situation. Any system they had last year with Laxdell In charge is gone.. I can't even stand watching it rite now. Terrible start!! these players clearly aren't buying into this coaching system they are falling over each other, cant string together passes nor shots and defensively they are all over out of position. Something needs to be done to steer this ship cause it's sad to watch, no way with this much talent that this should be happening with the names on this team..

hockeyisbest

Oct 1, 2024
Totally agree. This team looks horrendous and is playing like a junior B team. They need to relook at this coaching situation. Any system they had last year with Laxdell In charge is gone.. I can't even stand watching it rite now. Terrible start!! these players clearly aren't buying into this coaching system they are falling over each other, cant string together passes nor shots and defensively they are all over out of position. Something needs to be done to steer this ship cause it's sad to watch, no way with this much talent that this should be happening with the names on this team..
They certainly did have a terrible start last year, but time will tell, maybe the kids are worried about the next Trade, so far, Barlow hasn’t paid of,f meanwhile, delisle is getting a point every game.
Maybe Tullio should ask to reverse the trade.

Reactions: backwoods

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad