Oshawa Generals 2024-25 Season Thread, Part 1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
You are way off base on this one....
In what way?

Plus he’s not saying those things for us on the message boards. It’s for the casuals that don’t get ANY info besides statements from the team.
Exactly. A lot of season ticket holders (especially in a small town like OS) are older people that might not understand selling years and just hear they’re trading away a top 10 player who’s ever played for the franchise before the season even starts

attackfan71

Dec 2, 2012
owen sound ont.
I’m sorry but you’re not giving the attack fans near enough credit. They understand the need for a rebuild year. They are not happy with being middle of the pack and trying to keep the 30 wins a year alive thank god that is done and now defray can just concentrate on building a team to compete for the championship in 2-3 years time

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Honestly. I've seen this too. Not with all older STHs but some. I sit in a section of generally "older" STH and I have heard them show anger a some trades in the past without understanding how Major Junior hockey works.

I remember fans a recently as complaining about the Lleyton Moore trade to Kitchener, the Brassard, Studnicka trade to Niagara (we eliminated them that year btw. Incase any Niagara fans are lurking and need a cheeky reminder)

Some just think their team needs to be Championship bound every year like a pro team should want to be.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015
Honestly. I've seen this too. Not with all older STHs but some. I sit in a section of generally "older" STH and I have heard them show anger a some trades in the past without understanding how Major Junior hockey works.

I remember fans a recently as complaining about the Lleyton Moore trade to Kitchener, the Brassard, Studnicka trade to Niagara (we eliminated them that year btw. Incase any Niagara fans are lurking and need a cheeky reminder)

Some just think their team needs to be Championship bound every year like a pro team should want to be.
Colour me old .

I even qualify for something called 'Seniors ' tickets. I think they sell a drink called Ensure at the concessions in OS.

Just curious, how did you 'eliminate' those fans who didn't understand 'rebuilding' 🤔 ?

Doesn't that lower your season ticket base ?

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Colour me old .

I even qualify for something called 'Seniors ' tickets. I think they sell a drink called Ensure at the concessions in OS.

Just curious, how did you 'eliminate' those fans who didn't understand 'rebuilding' 🤔 ?

Doesn't that lower your season ticket base ?
Eliminate, no. Just educate.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Can you give us some examples?
He said 2 days ago was the first time that Barlow asked for a trade (after he was sent back from WPG)

I’m sorry but you’re not giving the attack fans near enough credit. They understand the need for a rebuild year. They are not happy with being middle of the pack and trying to keep the 30 wins a year alive thank god that is done and now defray can just concentrate on building a team to compete for the championship in 2-3 years time
That wasn't Attack specific. I said a lot of season ticket holders, meaning of any team. Look at any Facebook post from a team after they trade away their best player and 85% of the comments are "wtf ____ is a great player!". The people that go on these sites are usually hardcore fans but not everyone is, which is fine. But that's who DeGray is talking to when he lies and says 2 days ago was the first time Barlow asked for a trade. The people who come on here have probably seen the different reports of him asking for a trade multiple months ago

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
He said 2 days ago was the first time that Barlow asked for a trade (after he was sent back from WPG)

That wasn't Attack specific. I said a lot of season ticket holders, meaning of any team. Look at any Facebook post from a team after they trade away their best player and 85% of the comments are "wtf ____ is a great player!". The people that go on these sites are usually hardcore fans but not everyone is, which is fine. But that's who DeGray is talking to when he lies and says 2 days ago was the first time Barlow asked for a trade. The people who come on here have probably seen the different reports of him asking for a trade multiple months ago

When there are continually 4500 “spectators” at every game and of those 4500, only 2000 are STH and the other 2500 are casual fans, it likely means a normal fanbase has about 25,000 casual fans that attend 5+ games per year and 2000 core fans that are STH’s. Of all of those fans, maybe 15% understand the cycle of Junior Hockey. So, of the 27,000 fans that attend 5+ games on a yearly basis, only 2000 or so understand the cycle of junior hockey and the strategy involved with the “sell off” years.

When a GM comes out and makes a statement like DeGray did, he is speaking to the 25,000 that don’t understand. He isn’t worried about the other 2000 because they already understand and they applaud the move because they understand the cycle! He is flipping it on the player to take the pressure off the team in an effort to maintain ticket sales. That is a common strategy most teams employ. The old, “What do you want me to do? The player wants out,” presser.

Last edited:
Reactions: HUSH10

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
When there are continually 4500 “spectators” at every game and of those 4500, only 2000 are STH and the other 2500 are casual fans, it likely means a normal fanbase has about 25,000 casual fans that attend 5+ games per year and 2000 core fans that are STH’s. Of all of those fans, maybe 15% understand the cycle of Junior Hockey. So, of the 27,000 fans that attend 5+ games on a yearly basis, only 2000 or so understand the cycle of junior hockey and the strategy involved with the “sell off” years.

When a GM comes out and makes a statement like DeGray did, he is speaking to the 25,000 that don’t understand. He isn’t worried about the other 200 because they already understand and they applaud the move because they understand the cycle! He is flipping it on the player to take the pressure off the team in an effort to maintain ticket sales. That is a common strategy most teams employ. The old, “What do you want me to do? The player wants out,” presser.
Exactly

Reactions: OMG67

hockeyisbest

Oct 1, 2024
In what way?

Exactly. A lot of season ticket holders (especially in a small town like OS) are older people that might not understand selling years and just hear they’re trading away a top 10 player who’s ever played for the franchise before the season even starts
A player like Barlow should be taught a lesson, OS should have kept him and sat him for the season.

• Haha
Reactions: MJ5

leafs4life94

Jan 15, 2014
A player like Barlow should be taught a lesson, OS should have kept him and sat him for the season.
How does that make any sense at all????????

If they do that then no player would ever be willing report to OS. NHL teams would not trust that team - imagine if Danford asked out and Oshawa sat Danford for the whole season - do you think Toronto would be happy with that? Their first round pick gaining no development because a team got their feelings hurt?

Reactions: ohloutsider

Kingpin794

Smart A** In A Jersey
Apr 25, 2012
209 at the Van
How does that make any sense at all????????

If they do that then no player would ever be willing report to OS. NHL teams would not trust that team - imagine if Danford asked out and Oshawa sat Danford for the whole season - do you think Toronto would be happy with that? Their first round pick gaining no development because a team got their feelings hurt?
They just think players are owned by the fans and are not allowed to have any agency. They aren't people to him. You'd be surprised how many folks hold that opinion.

Reactions: BarberPole9

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
LOL. yea that would work out well for Owen Sound.
Losing him for nothing instead of getting a huge haul like they are about to + Having every NHL team wanting their draft picks immediately removed from there because they don't have the best interest of the player.

Reactions: ohloutsider

ohloutsider

Jan 13, 2016
Rock & Hardplace
Not sure what "a player like Barlow " means but it is very clear you have not watched him play much. Most of his hype comes from being one of the leagues top PP guys but have you ever watched him kill a penalty? Block shots? Fight for a puck in a scrum? Go to the front of the net and stand his ground? He is very good at all of those things.
Last year for most of year he played injured and under some tough situations. If he goes to Oshawa fans will love him there.

Reactions: Stellar29

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad