Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
That would be a massive cost. Three 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths PLUS two good players is a lot. Bedkowski would be worth a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th by himself and that is conservative. Delisle probably a 3rd at least. If we boil those picks down it would be more like 11-12 picks with four being 2nds. That is crazy.
Delisle l, Bedkowski and 6/7 picks I believe is the package

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Delisle l, Bedkowski and 6/7 picks I believe is the package

If it is three 2nds in that deal then that is a massive overpay. Just crazy overpay. Max is two 2nds and two 3rds. Then speckle in the 4ths and 5ths to round out the picks.

lavidaloca89

Jun 27, 2024
Bedkowski is a big loss as hes a good D. Probably gets drafted imo due to his size. Delisle is probably just going to be average.

Barlow was always going to be expensive. He went top 20 in the nhl draft for a reason.

Good chance he scores 50-65 goals for the gens this season.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Bedkowski is a big loss as hes a good D. Probably gets drafted imo due to his size. Delisle is probably just going to be average.

Barlow was always going to be expensive. He went top 20 in the nhl draft for a reason.

He should score at that pace. The amount of goals will depend on time at NHL camp, with Canada WJ, and any other missed games.

I didn’t wanna say the names but ya ohl4life is correct. Believe the picks are 2 seconds 2 thirds and 5,7,10

That seems reasonable.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

With Barlow you have a deadly PP, unstoppable.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With Barlow you have a deadly PP, unstoppable.

Playing with Ritchie, Barlow will get a lot more 5vs5 prime scoring opportunities, though his PP prowess might be the biggest reason for acquiring Barlow. The PP will now probably be as good as Barrie and Brampton; and probably better than Sudbury, Kingston and Brantford for now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Millpond

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
That would be a massive cost. Three 2nds, two 3rds and two 4ths PLUS two good players is a lot. Bedkowski would be worth a 2nd, 3rd, and a 4th by himself and that is conservative. Delisle probably a 3rd at least. If we boil those picks down it would be more like 11-12 picks with four being 2nds. That is crazy.

That’s exactly what I’ve been explaining.

Looking at it logically, Griffin plus Bedkowski plus seven top picks is an astronomical overpay. Especially when Owen Sound has little to no leverage in the situation.

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
I didn’t wanna say the names but ya ohl4life is correct. Believe the picks are 2 seconds 2 thirds and 5,7,10
That's fantastic for Oshawa. Not one A level asset going out the door to get a guy who might score 60 goals. Not to mention only 4 quality picks when they have 8 2nds/3rds to work with is great & leaves them with a ton of ammo to add more later.

Reactions: Leviathan899

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
That's fantastic for Oshawa. Not one A level asset going out the door to get a guy who might score 60 goals. Not to mention only 4 quality picks when they have 8 2nds/3rds to work with is great & leaves them with a ton of ammo to add more later.

Bedowski was probably the #3 D and Delisle on their 3rd line; so not exactly pan-free with probably just enough left over to replace those two.
Though I guess the ‘08-1st can also be traded.

Millpond

Dec 5, 2015

Looking at it logically, Griffin plus Bedkowski plus seven top picks is an astronomical overpay. Especially when Owen Sound has little to no leverage in the situation.
Do you want to win ?
OS has a 55 goal scorer.
That's leverage enough .
Who's buying ??

Reactions: frontsfan67

StingUpdates

Jan 12, 2019
Bedowski was probably the #3 D and Delisle on their 3rd line; so not exactly pan-free with probably just enough left over to replace those two.
Though I guess the ‘08-1st can also be traded.
It's not a fleece by any means, but I'd take it every if I were a Gens fan. Don't give up a 1st. Don't give up three 2nds which is what it usually costs in these trades.

Can still trade Griffin, Smith, two 2nds, two 3rds.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Do you want to win ?
OS has a 55 goal scorer.
That's leverage enough .
Who's buying ??
My thoughts too. Barlow is arguably the best goal scorer in the league, as well as a solid 200 foot game. As much as I like Delisle and Bedkowski, you make a move like this all day long when you’re contending. No need to be cautious when you have Ritchie, Sennecke, oster, Danford, Marrelli. With that core, you load up as much as you can. They still have picks left plus smith and griffin as assets, they won’t be done with just Barlow. A lot depends on Roobroeck coming back. If he does, him, Oster and D’amato are a good group, and you could upgrade on D’amato possibly. If Roobroeck isn’t back, go out and get one of Wakely, Van Steensel, Allard, Swick or Stonehouse. Look at a guy like Paquette in Guelph, Coughlan in Sudbury or cooper foster in Ottawa as guys to round out your middle 6.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
Playing with Ritchie, Barlow will get a lot more 5vs5 prime scoring opportunities, though his PP prowess might be the biggest reason for acquiring Barlow. The PP will now probably be as good as Barrie and Brampton; and probably better than Sudbury, Kingston and Brantford for now.
Plus you still have a lot of trade capital to upgrade on Roobroeck if he’s not back, or if he is you can add another 2nd line guy or top 4 D. I wonder if Guelph is not competitive closer to the deadline Burnett considers moving Luchanko. He’d be an elite 2C behind Ritchie. Maybe griffin and picks would be a good move for him.

They have lots of leverage, you don’t give away a player like Barlow. There’s a certain level of respect in this league and DeGray is a good guy, you won’t try and rip him off. This is a fair and solid deal for both sides. They get a good young C who’s at least a very solid 3C and Bedkowski will thrive in the Owen sound rink. Wasn’t going to be a top guy in Oshawa this year once again, gets more opportunity in Owen sound for his DY. Two seconds and two thirds isn’t an overlay for a player of Barlow’s caliber.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Plus you still have a lot of trade capital to upgrade on Roobroeck if he’s not back, or if he is you can add another 2nd line guy or top 4 D. I wonder if Guelph is not competitive closer to the deadline Burnett considers moving Luchanko. He’d be an elite 2C behind Ritchie. Maybe griffin and picks would be a good move for him.

They have lots of leverage, you don’t give away a player like Barlow. There’s a certain level of respect in this league and DeGray is a good guy, you won’t try and rip him off. This is a fair and solid deal for both sides. They get a good young C who’s at least a very solid 3C and Bedkowski will thrive in the Owen sound rink. Wasn’t going to be a top guy in Oshawa this year once again, gets more opportunity in Owen sound for his DY. Two seconds and two thirds isn’t an overlay for a player of Barlow’s caliber.

I think the point about respect in the league is very solid. The GM’s typically aren’t out to screw each other. Look at Barrie with Gardiner. Gardiner wanted to play at home. Maybe he would have been fine with Brampton close to home but the reality is he wanted to play at home. Williamson, even with a hammer, was very respectful of the situation and didn’t’ try to work Boyd over. That sort of respect goes a long way in this league, especially for guys that plan to be around a while.

What’s not worth it?

The gotcha comment that was probably deleted…..

Reactions: Leviathan899

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
It's not a fleece by any means, but I'd take it every if I were a Gens fan. Don't give up a 1st. Don't give up three 2nds which is what it usually costs in these trades.

Can still trade Griffin, Smith, two 2nds, two 3rds.

I agree, this is a good trade for Oshawa - - unlike the comically misguided drivel proclaiming it would be Bedkowski plus Griffin plus a half dozen 2nd and 3rd round picks.

That’s almost as ridiculous as the foolish idea that Oshawa would keep Luke Torrance ahead of Luca D’Amato as an OA.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

There’s definitely work to do on defence now, then depth forwards. More high scoring forwards would change the dynamic of the team, not for the better imo.

Leviathan899

Nov 17, 2014
Toronto, ON.
There’s definitely work to do on defence now, then depth forwards. More high scoring forwards would change the dynamic of the team, not for the better imo.
Why do you think it won’t be for the better? Replacing Delisle with Barlow is a huge upgrade at F. Maybe Sinivuori could be a 15-20 goal guy as well. Keeping griffin helps them down the middle too. They could make a move on D but overall it’s very solid as is, but wouldn’t be opposed to an upgrade, which I’m sure will happen at some point. Either way, 3 of the best forwards in the entire OHL is nice.

Reactions: frontsfan67

lavidaloca89

Jun 27, 2024
Im a bit floored when people suggest Oshawa isn’t the favourite in the East. I see people putting Brampton and Hamilton ahead.

The generals provided Barlow trade goes through will have four nhl 1st round draft picks on the team in all likelihood, arguably the best goalie in the league and host of other good solid players.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013
Why do you think it won’t be for the better? Replacing Delisle with Barlow is a huge upgrade at F. Maybe Sinivuori could be a 15-20 goal guy as well. Keeping griffin helps them down the middle too. They could make a move on D but overall it’s very solid as is, but wouldn’t be opposed to an upgrade, which I’m sure will happen at some point. Either way, 3 of the best forwards in the entire OHL is nice.

At a certain point you get diminishing returns.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Im a bit floored when people suggest Oshawa isn’t the favourite in the East. I see people putting Brampton and Hamilton ahead.

The generals provided Barlow trade goes through will have four nhl 1st round draft picks on the team in all likelihood, arguably the best goalie in the league and host of other good solid players.

Let’s look at it logically.

Oshawa will start the season without Ritchie until he (hopefully) returns from Colorado. Do you recall how they struggled last year when Ritchie was out with his injury for the first two months?

And they’ll be without Sennecke until mid November with his injury. That’s two massive holes in their lineup.

Dealing Bedkowski significantly weakens the defense, specifically the bottom pairing. And the bottom six forwards need some upgrading be you can’t just roll two lines with an occasional shift to a patchwork third line during a long playoff run.

Brampton is currently a very good team and they have an unbelievable amount of assets to acquire even more upgrades. EIGHT (8) second round picks and FIVE (5) third round picks is enough to add at least two elite players and possibly three.

An overlooked fact is that Brampton also has room to add at least one elite level OA - - possibly two if Leskovar moves on to the AHL.

It’s significantly cheaper to acquire a top level OA than it is to acquire a similarly talented 19yr old.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad