Oshawa Generals 2023-24 Off-Season Thread (Part 1)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree with that. But the thing kingston had going for them that year is their first round pick Cody Morgan committed to them. This years is looking very very unlikely with Caleb Malholtra.

If they wanted to get a guy like wakely i think they’d have to trade weir and maybe the rights to one of their prospects like manza/dervin to go with 2 2nd rounders and a 3rd but I’m not 100% sure north bay accepts that. That would be the package they’d have to throw at them assuming Hopkins is protected.
Weir, 2, 3, 4 would be a solid offer for Wakely. The last big ticket OA centre Morrison went for six picks; 2(2, 3, 4).

Reactions: frontsfan67

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
Flipping to tide little here

Who do you think gets the C this year.

My money is on Danford.

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Flipping to tide little here

Who do you think gets the C this year.

My money is on Danford.
Toss up between Ritchie and Danford I think.

Ritchie would probably be better for this year but they could make Danford captain cause ritchie only has this year if he is back. where Danford would be there for 2 more. So maybe they give danford the C early since he will be the guy after Ritchie moves on.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
With potentially not having Kumpalainen and/or Roobroeck this year, Oshawa is going to need two or three young guys to emerge.

The obvious candidate for this would be Owen Griffin. He was badly overmatched for the first half of the season, but there was a noticeable improvement in his game late in the season and in the playoffs and he was a dependable 3rd liner in the post season. It’s going to be critical for him to progress into being a top six forward and improve his offence this year.

The next would be Brady Smith. It would be huge for Oshawa if he could have a rookie season like Jake o’Brien or Riley Patterson had last year.

Another young player with breakout potential would be last year’s rookie of the year for Oshawa, Tristan Delisle. I was super impressed by his game last year - - even though he’s a bit under sized, he was never afraid to drop the gloves against bigger and older opponents. He also chipped in offensively. If Delisle can drive the 3rd line this year and provide what Luke Torrance brought last year, that’s going to be massive for Oshawa.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
With potentially not having Kumpalainen and/or Roobroeck this year, Oshawa is going to need two or three young guys to emerge.

The obvious candidate for this would be Owen Griffin. He was badly overmatched for the first half of the season, but there was a noticeable improvement in his game late in the season and in the playoffs and he was a dependable 3rd liner in the post season. It’s going to be critical for him to progress into being a top six forward and improve his offence this year.

The next would be Brady Smith. It would be huge for Oshawa if he could have a rookie season like Jake o’Brien or Riley Patterson had last year.

Another young player with breakout potential would be last year’s rookie of the year for Oshawa, Tristan Delisle. I was super impressed by his game last year - - even though he’s a bit under sized, he was never afraid to drop the gloves against bigger and older opponents. He also chipped in offensively. If Delisle can drive the 3rd line this year and provide what Luke Torrance brought last year, that’s going to be massive for Oshawa.
Smith is trade bait though? There should be 5-6 teams with a real chance in the east

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
Smith is trade bait though? There should be 5-6 teams with a real chance in the east

Is he though? I’d at least wait until a month or two after the season starts to see what kind of game he has and - - more importantly - - how the Generals are doing.

You don’t want to make a catastrophic mistake like Sarnia when they traded away Porter Martone in a hopelessly misguided “all in” attempt.

Not only did it cost Sarnia two or three years of an elite level superstar, it also cost them a few hundred thousand dollars in payment from the NHL when Martone is among the top players drafted in 2025.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Oshawa is losing Punnet, Lockhart, Rolofs, Roobroek, Kapulainen; and have less picks than all of Kingston, Brantford, Brampton, Sudbury, Barrie, …
Kingston will have a large number of 19 yr olds, three of those being 1st round picks. That team is almost certainly adding.
But it will be for naught if not acquiring a bonafide #1 all-purpose centre. Wakely is the guy imo.
But Oshawa was good last year... It seems pretty disingenuous to compare a good team losing guys but having a lot of pieces left to a bad team losing a lot of pieces and not having the goalie of the year and 3 first round NHLers left lol. Kind of not the same thing at all, no? Gens also don't have a worry with trade chips. Griffin and Smith would be among the two of the more sought after young players next year if they so choose to go all-in, as well as a normal assortment of picks. They could make several big trades with the assets they currently have.

Any team can trade all their picks and go for it in Jr hockey, Kingston just seems like a team that would make absolutely no sense to do that. You win with good 19/20 year olds usually and they don't have many. After trading away one of their top '05s, their best players are majority '06 and '07s now (Frasca, Battaglia, Hopkins, etc.), which would lead you to believe they wouldn't be going for it for 2 years from now at least

Last edited:

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
It would make ZERO sense to trade away D’Amato for draft picks - - especially in a championship season.

A top 4 defenceman who logs a ton of PP time (D’Amato) is infinitely more valuable than a 3rd line winger (Torrance).

Proclaiming Svozil to be “an above average”
Defenceman already before even seeing him play a single game is absurdly optimistic.

Based on that assumption, Sinivouri can immediately step into a middle six forward role.

Many seem certain that Roobroeck will be in the AHL this year, but I’ll believe that when I see it.
Just because you've never seen Svozil play, doesn't mean that's the case for me lol. I watched a handful of his games last year. He'll step in and be a capable OHL D-man right away. Won't be as good as D'Amato but is 2 years younger.

Which of these two hypothetical lineups looks like the better team?

Option 1:
F:
Torrance-Ritchie-Sennecke
Sinivuori-Griffin-Buckley
Smith-Delisle-Franssen
Toms-Costello-Graham
Others: Rogowski, Pylypuik, Heins, Serov

D:
Sandhu-Marrelli
D'Amato-Danford
Svozil-Bedkowski
Others: Rodriguez, McDonell, Blaseg

G:
Oster
Gravelle/Bender

Option 2:
F:
Torrance-Ritchie-Sennecke
Griffin-Wakely*-Buckley
Smith-Delisle-Sinivuori
Franssen-Toms-Graham
Others: Rogowski, Costello, Pylypuik, Heins, Serov

D:
Sandhu-Marrelli
Bedkowski-Danford
Svozil-Rodriguez
Others: McDonell, Blaseg

G:
Oster
Gravelle/Bender

Wakely is just a placeholder. That name could be any good OA

To me it's option 2 and it's not even close as it still has a good D-core, an elite goalie, and 2 lines that can be counted on to score whereas option 1 has a good D-core, an elite goalie, and 1 line that can be counted on to score

Last edited:

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
But Oshawa was good last year... It seems pretty disingenuous to compare a good team losing guys but having a lot of pieces left to a bad team losing a lot of pieces and not having the goalie of the year and 3 first round NHLers left lol. Kind of not the same thing at all, no? Gens also don't have a worry with trade chips. Griffin and Smith would be among the two of the more sought after young players next year if they so choose to go all-in, as well as a normal assortment of picks. They could make several big trades with the assets they currently have.

Any team can trade all their picks and go for it in Jr hockey, Kingston just seems like a team that would make absolutely no sense to do that. You win with good 19/20 year olds usually and they don't have many. After trading away one of their top '05s, their best players are majority '06 and '07s now (Frasca, Battaglia, Hopkins, etc.), which would lead you to believe they wouldn't be going for it for 2 years from now at least

Your point regarding where each team was last year is fair. As is your point that you win with 19/20 year olds valid.

However, what Kingston currently lack in 20 year olds, they currently have in 19 year olds. F – Ethan Miedema (NHL RD 4); Luke McNamara; Matthew Soto; D Quinton Burn (NHL RD 3); Cal Uens; Jakub Chromiak; G Mason Vaccari.

In comparison to Oshawa's current 19 year olds Calum Ritchie (NHL RD1), Luca Marrelli (NHL RD 3), Zackary Sandhu and Matthew Buckley.

Last edited:
Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Your point regarding where each team was last year is fair. As is your point that you win with 19/20 year olds valid.

However, what Kingston currently lack in 20 year olds, they currently have in 19 year olds. F – Ethan Miedema (NHL RD 4); Luke McNamara; Matthew Soto; D Quinton Burn (NHL RD 3); Cal Uens; Jakub Chromiak; G Mason Vaccari.

In comparison to Oshawa's current 19 year olds Calum Ritchie (NHL RD1), Luca Marrelli (NHL RD 3), Zackary Sandhu and Matthew Buckley.
plus McGowan, potentially Pieniniemi, Cavillan and Schneider. Kingston will indeed be one of the oldest teams.

Reactions: Sam14

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

OAs will likely be dirt cheap this year with the league poised to present an abundance of them. The elite OA’s will still garner a solid return but the 2nd tier OAs will be far cheaper than we’ve seen in the past. So, a team like Kingston and Brampton that don’t have the abundance of OA’s to rely on will likely be able to add quality players at a bargain basement price. This is an advantage that those two teams in particular can exploit.

Keep in mind that if they want a player like Wakely, they will still need to pay a steeper price because of the lack of OA depth at centre. But, if they are looking for wingers/D-Men, I think we will see some early season bargains.

I think with the Generals, a lot depends on the returning roster. It could be feast or famine with this team. We could see all of Ritchie, Kumpalainen, and Roobroek return or leave. That variance in starting roster is massive compared to what the rest of the OHL teams are looking at.

Reactions: Sam14

Donnie740

May 28, 2021
To me it's option 2 and it's not even close as it still has a good D-core, an elite goalie, and 2 lines that can be counted on to score whereas option 1 has a good D-core, an elite goalie, and 1 line that can be counted on to score

You and I have very different viewpoints on this, my friend.

I’d much rather have a team with a strong identity - - whether that’s a strong defensive identity or an strong offensive identity doesn’t matter - - it just can’t be a muddled jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of team.

With great goaltending and a great defence you can build around that identity and get by with an average group of forwards.

Having great goaltending but only good defence and good forwards means the team doesn’t really do anything very well and doesn’t have a strong identity.

It’s a huge assumption to proclaim Svozil will step right into the OHL seamlessly and be an above average defenceman. Maybe he can’t handle the physical play? Maybe he gets homesick? There’s a myriad of reasons as to why Svozil may not thrive in the OHL.

Trying to project his Euro league performance to what his OHL performance will be is just as much of a crapshoot as trying to project how an OHL player will do in the NHL or how a AAA player will do in the OHL.

As for Wakely, let’s not pretend he’s the second coming of an 18yr old Eric Lindros. He’s a nice player, but he’s not going to singlehandedly turn an average group of forwards into a great group of forwards. Wakely isn’t worth the price it’ll take to get him.

OMG67

Sep 1, 2013

I’d much rather have a team with a strong identity - - whether that’s a strong defensive identity or an strong offensive identity doesn’t matter - - it just can’t be a muddled jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none type of team.

With great goaltending and a great defence you can build around that identity and get by with an average group of forwards.

Having great goaltending but only good defence and good forwards means the team doesn’t really do anything very well and doesn’t have a strong identity.

It’s a huge assumption to proclaim Svozil will step right into the OHL seamlessly and be an above average defenceman. Maybe he can’t handle the physical play? Maybe he gets homesick? There’s a myriad of reasons as to why Svozil may not thrive in the OHL.

Trying to project his Euro league performance to what his OHL performance will be is just as much of a crapshoot as trying to project how an OHL player will do in the NHL or how a AAA player will do in the OHL.

As for Wakely, let’s not pretend he’s the second coming of an 18yr old Eric Lindros. He’s a nice player, but he’s not going to singlehandedly turn an average group of forwards into a great group of forwards. Wakely isn’t worth the price it’ll take to get him.

Regarding Wakely, it depends on level of need. IF Ritchie and Kumpalainen return, you don’t need Wakely. So, yes, he isn’t worth the price. However, if both Ritchie and Kumpalainen graduate early, then I think a kid like Wakely becomes a massive difference maker for the Generals. Two completely different situations entirely. I think that perspective is required when assessing all teams and their needs.

I think the Generals need to see who returns before any real decisions can be made. I think a lot of this particular discussion relies on a bunch of “if’s.” There is nothing stopping the Generals from rostering four or five OA’s the start the season and give them some runway to see what transpires with respect to players being reassigned to Junior. Depending on the reassignments and the puzzle pieces in place, they can make a suitable decision. There is no reason to make it immediately. Sure, it is much better to make a decision and roll with it from a player perspective. They dont’ have to be healthy scratched while they do the OA merry-go-round juggling four OA’s but if the team needs a bit of runway to make a decision, then so be it.

Sam14

Mar 28, 2018
Regarding Wakely, it depends on level of need. IF Ritchie and Kumpalainen return, you don’t need Wakely. So, yes, he isn’t worth the price. However, if both Ritchie and Kumpalainen graduate early, then I think a kid like Wakely becomes a massive difference maker for the Generals. Two completely different situations entirely. I think that perspective is required when assessing all teams and their needs.

I think the Generals need to see who returns before any real decisions can be made. I think a lot of this particular discussion relies on a bunch of “if’s.” There is nothing stopping the Generals from rostering four or five OA’s the start the season and give them some runway to see what transpires with respect to players being reassigned to Junior. Depending on the reassignments and the puzzle pieces in place, they can make a suitable decision. There is no reason to make it immediately. Sure, it is much better to make a decision and roll with it from a player perspective. They dont’ have to be healthy scratched while they do the OA merry-go-round juggling four OA’s but if the team needs a bit of runway to make a decision, then so be it.
One piece of the puzzle official. https://thehockeynews.com/nhl/minne...pect-signs-two-year-deal-with-lahden-pelicans

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

You’re being irrational; Ritchie at 19 does not enter a conversation with Lindros at 18.
Wakely and Fimis are in a tier of their own (among OA centres) imo. The next level would be Delic, I think. Wakely should be available.
The point was/is an (available) #1 all-purpose centre will be a scarce commodity; and, it will make a bigger difference than any OA defensemen or goalie I can think of.

ScoutLife4

Nov 28, 2023
You’re being irrational; Ritchie at 19 does not enter a conversation with Lindros at 18.
Wakely and Fimis are in a tier of their own (among OA centres) imo. The next level would be Delic, I think. Wakely should be available.
The point was/is an (available) #1 all-purpose centre will be a scarce commodity; and, it will make a bigger difference than any OA defensemen or goalie I can think of.
Wakely is available at the right price to the highest bidder before the deadline.
NB needs to sell off and restock the cupboard.
Can see him going to a contending team just before the deadline.

Reactions: dirty12

Stellar29

Sep 12, 2016
Owen Sound
Wakely is available at the right price to the highest bidder before the deadline.
I think Guindon from Owen Sound is probably worth a look too at center. I think he'd be a motivated player after not getting a contract from Montreal and this potentially being his last chance to earn a pro deal. Consistency has been a bit of an issue at times with him but he can score 30 goals and should be north of a point per game in his OA year while playing both special teams. Probably a decent bit of a discount from someone like Wakely.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I ‘think’ NB wants to keep Cooke, and it might be difficult to get the actual worth of the LeBlanc twins in a trade. So, it is quite possible one or all of Wakely, VanSteemsel, and Mathurin are available early.
Like Sudbury did, NB should want to avoid a Lockhart for 3, 5 scenario?

HUSH10

Sep 16, 2019
So far, the only 100% not returning player is Kumpulainen. His career as a general is done. Roobroeck so far to me is the only question mark. Not too often do signed OAs return to the OHL when they can be in the AHL. Roobroeck only got a small taste of Hartfor in the playoffs so not enough to see what New York does yet.

I think it's fair to say the odds right now of Roobroeck returning is a 70/30 of not and that will dictate a lot of what Oshawa's next move is.

I do not see a scenario where Ritchie is not a General this year.

Once we find out if we return Roobroeck as an OA forward, we will see Oshawa start making moves.

Donnie740

May 28, 2021

I completely disagree with this.

If both Ritchie and Roobroeck are not back - - coupled with the confirmed loss of Kumpalainen - - it would make ZERO sense for Oshawa to waste assets on Wakely because he’s definitely not going to be enough to make up for the loss of those three. As I mentioned before, Wakely is a decent player, but he’s certainly not an Eric Lindros difference maker.

Wakely is a complimentary piece that you’d add to a team with an already strong top six.

Reactions: hockeylegend11

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad