Speculation: Oscar Klefbom

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
By the way, you bet that (for better and worse) EDM considers Larsson to be their 1 RD. They did not trade Hall for a #3-#4 and if you think that is where he will end up, they don't (rightfully so in my opinion).

You only trade Klefbom for an upgrade on LD imho.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
As I wrote, you need a pretty big addition.

This, essentially....

Yeah well, if Hall gives you Larsson who now would be destined for 2RD on the 2nd pair I am afraid the add on to Klefbom would have to be monumental...

I am still waiting for a name though, who could be available for Klefbom + something, without that the 'something' breaks the back of the team?

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Yeah well, if Hall gives you Larsson who now would be destined for 2RD on the 2nd pair I am afraid the add on to Klefbom would have to be monumental...

I am still waiting for a name though, who could be available for Klefbom + something, without that the 'something' breaks the back of the team?

that's the trick. Even if we would offer Klefbom + Draisaitl +++, there is just no #1D out there for sale. Not every team even has a 1D. The good teams have a 1D, and they know that if they trade that player away, there is a good chance they turn into a bad team very quickly, no matter how good the return is.

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains
Still think Kelfbom has alot to prove yet this year. He is no sure fire top pairing dman.

Did we miss him last year? Yes but that was because of group of dmen in the lineup last year.

So many question marks of what we have here in a player so far. Hes only got 100 games in the show.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan
Still think Kelfbom has alot to prove yet this year. He is no sure fire top pairing dman.

Did we miss him last year? Yes but that was because of group of dmen in the lineup last year.

So many question marks of what we have here in a player so far. Hes only got 100 games in the show.

yup, he has lots of prove, as does larsson, davidson, and nurse..... our entire defence, save sekera, are nothing but question marks... we traded one of the best wingers in hockey to "fix" our defence, and its still nothing but question marks - seriously, stop and think about that for a second... its crazy

i think the chances of klefbom being a decent 1st pairing guy this year are no better than the chances are of his injury holding him back and missing most of the season.... he is FAR from a sure thing, far, far, far

larsson has exactly 1 good year, while pairing with a guy who is widely known to prop-up lesser d-partners over the years... larsson has proven exactly nothing, i would argue he has proven even less than klefbom has (if that is at all possible, considering klefbom hasn't proven a darn thing)

our defence could very easily be worse than last year, except now we'll have a lot less offence as well..... yay!

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
yup, he has lots of prove, as does larsson, davidson, and nurse..... our entire defence, save sekera, are nothing but question marks... we traded one of the best wingers in hockey to "fix" our defence, and its still nothing but question marks - seriously, stop and think about that for a second... its crazy

i think the chances of klefbom being a decent 1st pairing guy this year are no better than the chances are of his injury holding him back and missing most of the season.... he is FAR from a sure thing, far, far, far

larsson has exactly 1 good year, while pairing with a guy who is widely known to prop-up lesser d-partners over the years... larsson has proven exactly nothing, i would argue he has proven even less than klefbom has (if that is at all possible, considering klefbom hasn't proven a darn thing)

our defence could very easily be worse than last year, except now we'll have a lot less offence as well..... yay!
Except Larsson was better than Greene.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014

so Hall provides more offense and defence than Lucic + Puljujarvi + Larsson?

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
well that is not how the equation would work, it would be

hall + whoever would play in larssons place vs. lucic (as he essentially replaced hall) + larsson

pulj happens in both scenarios

so who would play in Larssons place? The RHD we won't have back now is Gryba

GMofOilers

Oct 15, 2007
Mountains

Well Larsson has proved more then Klefbom IMO. So we might disagree there, but I know what your saying.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
well that is not how the equation would work, it would be

hall + whoever would play in larssons place vs. lucic (as he essentially replaced hall) + larsson

pulj happens in both scenarios

Lucic only put up 10 less points than hall, while being a much better team player, the difference in offense will be negligible.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

No, Larsson has exactly 2 good years. You would know that if you were paying attention (if not it is actually very understandable, in the end it is NJ...).

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005

Thanks for the link... so the NJD blogosphere pretty much unanimously has Larsson as a better D than Greene, with analysis of stats to back it up... and he's 23 on a sweet-heart deal.

It starts to make this trade feel less and less painful (it was always going to feel painful, no matter which of the golden boys went as far as I was concerned).

For the record:

Hall + Gryba <<< Lucic + Larsson

To me the big deltas going into this year are:

Lucic < or = (intangibles) to Hall
Larrson >>>> Gryba
Klefbom healthy >> Klefbom unhealthy (Or Oesterle)
McDavid healthy in 20 >> McDavid unhealthy and 19
Nuge healthy >> Nuge unhealthy
Draisaitl without Hall < Draisaitl with Hall

Some significant improvements to be sure.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I will say this. I am not sure one can definitively say that Larsson was better than Greene. Despite the link I posted I think you will still find plenty of Devil's fan who would say that Greene was the better of the two. But unlike the Fayne/Greene combo it seems pretty clear from the evidence that this assessment could go either way. Moreover, if you look at the Greene/Fayne pairing vs the Greene/Larsson pairing it seems statistically clear that the latter pair was much better.

I think that Klefbom and Larsson could work very well. They have skills that complement one another and Klefbom can play freer not having to worry about constant covering up for his partners glaring mistakes or that if he makes a mistake himself there is no one there to cover for him.

Last edited:

Ol' Jase

Steaming bowls of rich, creamy justice.
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2005
Somehow, acquiring Larsson made the defence worse.

Never change hfoil

Same guy who went to great lengths to convince us that Connor McDavid would have significant difficulty scoring goals at the NHL level.

Color me skepticle about this new analysis.

6God*

If the Oilers didn't have Klefbom and he'd had the season he just had with the Devils I'd be asking for him over Larsson.

He's the Edler. Larsson is the Hamhuis.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad