Speculation: Oscar Klefbom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
Im pretty sure he's been skating since before the season ended. Hes just continued to skate here in EDM over the summer.

I believe since signing his new deal, he now lives here full time.

Yeah that's what I thought. Although oilers have been extremely tight lipped about the situation

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Yeah that's what I thought. Although oilers have been extremely tight lipped about the situation

They have been about every injury since Chia took over.

I imagine the embarrassment to the organization with the way the Souray situation and even the Pitkanen and Whitney situations were handled is well known and Chia isn't a moron like Lowe was.

Kinda sucks as a fan to not know what's going on, but it's better for the team this way.

Blitzago*

Dec 11, 2015
They have been about every injury since Chia took over.

I imagine the embarrassment to the organization with the way the Souray situation and even the Pitkanen and Whitney situations were handled is well known and Chia isn't a moron like Lowe was.

Kinda sucks as a fan to not know what's going on, but it's better for the team this way.

Yeah it's unfortunate as a fan, but it's better this way for the team

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
That's not what I heard. They clearly stated he's expected tobe fine by the start of th season. First day was so so but then it got better.

As far as I understood it, no need to panic.

I also heard the same around the time of the draft. Can't remember if it was on the radio or on tv, but they said Klefbom was skating in Edmonton and would be ready for the season.

Now lets hope Klef stays healthy. He doesn't have a ton of miles on him so he should be good for about a decade + of playoff runs ;)

Last edited:

Wretched Oil

Right out of 'er
Feb 19, 2008

http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/23/buffalo-is-open-for-business

Good news for Oilers fans. Oscar Klefbom was in Edmonton this week and he skated four days with the trainers and medical staff. The first day his foot didn't feel great, but the next few days he felt fine and was very positive about how he felt. I asked Chiarelli about Klefbom's progress and he confirmed he had been skating and everything looks great. I spoke to Klefbom in April and he outlined how frustrating and scary the staph infection situation had been for him. The past week was as much a mental exercise as physical. He needed to get on the ice and feel good and he did. A healthy Klefbom is a must if the Oilers hope to improve this season.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
The team says Klef's is 100 per cent. Source: Oilers exec whom I trust for the unvarnished truth.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Stauffer interviewed him awhile back and it answered a lot of questions I had about his injury. What I do know is he's been working out like mad, and kept in great shape while he was not playing. Like hitting the gym and bike hard.

The effected area on his skin needed time to heal, and that required him not to skate at all until this happened. Also he was going to meet with his skate company over the summer and design a skate that wont chaff on the effected area. His return last season was postponed cause that area of skin needed time to thicken and playing hockey was not going to help it. This injury he had did not do anything to his ankle muscles, so comparisons to Whitney are not accurate, the only thing that was keeping him back was the thickness of the skin they gouged out when they cut out the Staph infection.

My guess Oscar will be back this season better than ever.

pffffffft. He shoulda been back last year. Any Canadian kid worth his salt woulda slapped a bottle of this on the foot and called it a day.

10730.jpg

:shakehead Some people.

:sarcasm:

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
We're not. **** man, people can recover from staph infections. They are not new to the medical community.

I've spoken about the situation (and the needed skin/flesh removal) with a doctor. This guy is smarter than I am and any of my fellow lawyer friends.

This guy is legit and he's certain a full recovery will happen if the entire infected area was surgically removed (which it was). The reason Klef didn't return to action was to heal the area of the removed skin. Wearing skates and the rubbing it entails was not worth it for Chia. Great call. Klef will be 100% this season.

you're a lawyer? so you can make judgments on specific cases you're not involved in, and be correct in your assessments?

your doctor buddy also hasn't seen or treated him. he can only talk generally.
he has no idea of the severity of the condition, so you can't pull out the "my buddy the doctor" card.

plus your doctor friend likely doesn't know how such an extended layoff without skating will affect the on ice skill level of a player.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
you're a lawyer? so you can make judgments on specific cases you're not involved in, and be correct in your assessments?

he has no idea of the severity of the condition, so you can't pull out the "my buddy the doctor" card.

plus your doctor friend likely doesn't know how such an extended layoff without skating will affect the on ice skill level of a player.

He's been skating since March/April and able to stay in great shape the entire time. He says he is 100% ready to go, the team and team's doctors say he is 100% ready to go, people with actual information say he is 100% ready to go. Do you think that if he goes a few months without skating at 100% effort that he will just forget how to hockey? The guy is an elite athlete who missed a few months, you're acting as if he has been out of the game for years.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
If he's on the ice again, and rumblings are he's 100% now, I have no worry that he'll be ready to jump on the ice in three months. That's still plenty of time for him to get into NHL-shape again.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Klef should really flourish with Larsson. It is the perfect D partner for him. Really hope he is healthy and stops getting hurt.

Kestrel

Jan 30, 2005

I would say a doctor sure can comment on the case far better than any run of the mill poster trying to read between the lines on radio broadcasts. I have seen very little reason to think that the doctor's casually given opinion is wrong - sure, there's an element of speculation on his part, but anything I've seen to the contrary of his opinion is just as much speculation, with much less expertise to comment on it. If there's something coming from someone with a more relevant opinion that suggests Klefbom's future is in real doubt, that would be far more useful to post than complaining about the "doctor card".

slim2001

Aug 2, 2008
Alberta
I think next year Larsson will be like 25 and klef like 35, here is hoping any way.

I think that is a realistic possibility if they develop chemistry quickly. I would guess around #30 and #40 but they could end up something like #45 and #75 if they don't gel and get overwhelmed on the top pairing. I really like them both and expect big things over the next couple of years.

jukon

NHL Point Leader
Mar 17, 2011
It will be fun to speculate who the driving force is between Klef and Larsson. X player makes y player better. I'm just hoping for a healthy season from them both.

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
Klefbom is better than Larsson IMO both would be top 40 in my mind.

Don't agree. Larsson is better now and has higher upside, in my opinion. Klef may have more offensive upside but Larsson is and will be the better all-around defenceman.

bestmyfeeling

Oct 22, 2010
Don't agree. Larsson is better now and has higher upside, in my opinion. Klef may have more offensive upside but Larsson is and will be the better all-around defenceman.

hmmm...i tend to rate klef>larson long rrun but i think that larsson has a higher base and klefbom has the ability to become much better

i.e. larsson will be seabrook esque and klefbom could be keith esque IMO (not that they play the same just in terms of 1A and 1B/2A rankings)

MoneyGuy

Wandering
Oct 19, 2009
hmmm...i tend to rate klef>larson long rrun but i think that larsson has a higher base and klefbom has the ability to become much better

i.e. larsson will be seabrook esque and klefbom could be keith esque IMO (not that they play the same just in terms of 1A and 1B/2A rankings)

Well, if Klef achieves his upside as you see it and if Larsson achieves what I see, we'll have a dandy 1-2.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad