Speculation: Oscar Klefbom

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Hi fellow Oiler fans, does anyone know the status of Oscar Klefbom? I was listening to the free agent frenzy on TSN 1260 and one of the pundits questioned whether or not Klefbom would be back this year. They mentioned something about him still having difficulty skating.

Is this true or just more rumor nonsense ?

he just started skating last week and it will be a slow process and therehave been some delays

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
Players don't play through injuries for "development". Name me one instance where the team decided to keep a player from being shutdown solely because of his development and not because of the team's performance.

Be an ankle truther all you want but don't be so "truther-y" about it.

I'm speaking into the seriousness of his injury. He's not going to play through his injury because the injury is too severe. If it was just a matter of him needing a new skate he would've been back during the regular seaon, but he actually wasn't able to skate at all for the better part of the rest of the season. My whole point is that everyone is shrugging this staph infection off like it was/is nothing and he's going to come back better than ever to start the year - I don't think that's the case.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I'm speaking into the seriousness of his injury. He's not going to play through his injury because the injury is too severe. If it was just a matter of him needing a new skate he would've been back during the regular seaon, but he actually wasn't able to skate at all for the better part of the rest of the season. My whole point is that everyone is shrugging this staph infection off like it was/is nothing and he's going to come back better than ever to start the year - I don't think that's the case.

We're not. **** man, people can recover from staph infections. They are not new to the medical community.

I've spoken about the situation (and the needed skin/flesh removal) with a doctor. This guy is smarter than I am and any of my fellow lawyer friends.

This guy is legit and he's certain a full recovery will happen if the entire infected area was surgically removed (which it was). The reason Klef didn't return to action was to heal the area of the removed skin. Wearing skates and the rubbing it entails was not worth it for Chia. Great call. Klef will be 100% this season.

Bangalter

Aug 21, 2013

How dense are you? He doesn't have an infection anymore he just needs his skin to heal is that so hard for you to understand? He was still able to continue working out he just couldn't skate.. if anything he'll be even more prepared for next year since he got a jump on everyone with rest and training this summer.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
How dense are you? He doesn't have an infection anymore he just needs his skin to heal is that so hard for you to understand? He was still able to continue working out he just couldn't skate.. if anything he'll be even more prepared for next year since he got a jump on everyone with rest and training this summer.

He doesn't get it.

The issue was the spot where the skin/flesh was removed rubbed against his skate and would have impeded the healing if he rushed it. Chia shut him down so his body and flesh could heal fully.

It was the right call by Chia. Klefbom will be back 100% for next season.

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011
1260 and inside sports talked about

they said the first day was not a good day but things got better--neither one knew if he would be ready for the start of the season

That's not what I heard. They clearly stated he's expected tobe fine by the start of th season. First day was so so but then it got better.

As far as I understood it, no need to panic.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
That's not what I heard. They clearly stated he's expected tobe fine by the start of th season. First day was so so but then it got better.

So what you're saying is we should all panic based off a few posters who have zero actual knowledge of his condition?

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus

what they said was the first day went very bad but got better. First day he could barely get his skate on

feel free to post what they actually said
they had concerns

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
what they said was the first day went very bad but got better. First day he could barely get his skate on

they had concerns

Was the first day when he was skating with Benson a week or two before the draft?

Or would it be from back in March when he started when he tried started skating for the first times after the surgery?

"Klefbom thought in March he might get back for a few late regular-season Oilers’ games, but he couldn’t make it for team practices. “The skin was so thin that when I’d skate, the skin broke. It was so fragile after the two surgeries. It started bleeding again. I had to wait until the skin was strong enough to be in a skate (with no worries). I didn’t want to risk another infection,†he said."

Kolja

1-5-6-14
Oct 30, 2011

they had concerns

Can't find the source, so you might be right. Guess I'm just overly optimistic.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Here is the article from Oilers Nation. JTShark is correct in what he says. Quoted from the article found here http://oilersnation.com/2016/6/23/buffalo-is-open-for-business This was from June 23rd.

Good news for Oilers fans. Oscar Klefbom was in Edmonton this week and he skated four days with the trainers and medical staff. The first day his foot didn't feel great, but the next few days he felt fine and was very positive about how he felt. I asked Chiarelli about Klefbom's progress and he confirmed he had been skating and everything looks great. I spoke to Klefbom in April and he outlined how frustrating and scary the staph infection situation had been for him. The past week was as much a mental exercise as physical. He needed to get on the ice and feel good and he did. A healthy Klefbom is a must if the Oilers hope to improve this season.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Not for the faint of heart, but if you google image search "staph infection foot", some of them look like leprosy or a shotgun wound.

:/

I really hope he's 110% to start next season. God that guy just can't catch a break.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Martin dohfOs Lundén
‏@dohfOs

In a month or so #Oilers Klefbom will travel to Montreal (and Bauer) to get a custom made ice skate that will protect his foot.

Martin dohfOs Lundén ‏@dohfOs 9m9 minutes ago

@kaylee_mcl skating is back to normal as far as I know yes, shouldn't be any "Whitney effects"

So we know the guy is a fitness freak and stayed in amazing shape the whole time, his skating is back to normal as well. Can we all stop yelling that the sky is falling now?

Sure he might have a bit of rust to shake off in the preseason, but won't every player?

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Martin dohfOs Lundén
‏@dohfOs

In a month or so #Oilers Klefbom will travel to Montreal (and Bauer) to get a custom made ice skate that will protect his foot.

Martin dohfOs Lundén ‏@dohfOs 9m9 minutes ago

@kaylee_mcl skating is back to normal as far as I know yes, shouldn't be any "Whitney effects"

So we know the guy is a fitness freak and stayed in amazing shape the whole time, his skating is back to normal as well. Can we all stop yelling that the sky is falling now?

Sure he might have a bit of rust to shake off in the preseason, but won't every player?

I don't think people are claiming the sky is falling, but that there are concerns. I expect him back, but am concerned still that there may be lingering effects. Any time I hear of custom made skates and foot issues I think of Peter Forsberg - a talented player torn from the game by foot injuries. Different type of injury of course, but it's what comes to mind. Can't help it.

CrazyJoeDavola

Jun 17, 2011
Vancouver
I don't think people are claiming the sky is falling, but that there are concerns. I expect him back, but am concerned still that there may be lingering effects. Any time I hear of custom made skates and foot issues I think of Peter Forsberg - a talented player torn from the game by foot injuries. Different type of injury of course, but it's what comes to mind. Can't help it.

Right. For me, it's not the actual infection, it's the fact he hasn't really skated or played competitive hockey since last year. Just expect to see him not at the top of his game to start the year. I hope I'm wrong, though.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Right. For me, it's not the actual infection, it's the fact he hasn't really skated or played competitive hockey since last year. Just expect to see him not at the top of his game to start the year. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Did he also explain that staph infections can lead to amputations and death, even when precautions and modern medicine involved? The dude missed 50 games here; this was as serious as it gets.

He missed 50 games. Had no ligament or joint or bone damage. It can get a lot more serious and debilitating than what it was. It was very serious yes, but it was also treated properly and then after treatment was cared for extra carefully.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Why would he need a custom stake if no joint/bone damage?

Cause they took a piece of flesh off of his foot and the place where it has healed over rubs with a normal skate on which can be uncomfortable or lead to the wound re-opening or just blistering or whatever. They will figure out a way to get a skate on his foot without aggravating it and it'll be ancient history.

SPIRIT

Mar 12, 2014
Stauffer addressed this today on the radio. Affirmed Klef will be good to go by next year. Sounded a bit annoyed to even be answering the question.

We're goooood, here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad