Opinions on Fabian Lysell's future

loosemoose

May 31, 2020
If he's not getting semi-regular games with good ice time in the upcoming season it's probably over for him. There's not really much left for him to improve in AHL, other than completely re-imagining huge parts of his game, which probably isn't happening. Either he makes the jump or he doesn't.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If he's not getting semi-regular games with good ice time in the upcoming season it's probably over for him. There's not really much left for him to improve in AHL, other than completely re-imagining huge parts of his game, which probably isn't happening. Either he makes the jump or he doesn't.

He is only 21 this year. There are likely aspects of his game that he has to get better at to play or stay at the NHL level. The question is does his skill provide enough while to play while he finishes developing the rest of his game. Or are they so glaring that he has to go to the AHL to improve

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
I must be misreading your posts. So you agree those players will have an equal opportunity to prove themselves up down and around the line up? That They are not limited to a designated forward position.

No, I don't agree.

Hard enough for a rookie to make the team period, let alone at a position he doesn't play. And it's not like they are trying to find a spot on the San Jose Sharks.

Nothing is impossible I guess, but I don't see Merkulov on the RW or Poitras on the LW or Lysell at center unless there are a boatload of injuries. And if there were, wouldn't it make more sense for them to play the positions they are familiar with?

RoccoF14

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Personally, I'd be thrilled if Lysell manages to play 50 games for Boston this season. Nevermind getting 50 points. Same goes for Poitras.

And I really don't care what position they play, as long as it isn't goalie.....

Last edited:

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
agreed, hope the kid grabs the spot via strong camp but if not, I`m also not throwing the towel in on the kid as many here will (not implying you by the way)
Not throwing in the towel, and would like to see him work out but if a package that came along that would improve this team, especially involving a goal scorer, and he needed to be part of it to make it happen, good luck kid.

Reactions: ODAAT

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Not sure I understand where this 'deemed' and 'firm' narrative the players above have been appointed positions prior to opening night? All will battle for a roster spot and position up and down the line up. All deserving equal opportunity. All will be tested. Maybe Lysell can play left and right, maybe Poitras is better suited playing wing, maybe Merk can play right or left wing. Maybe all 3 are not ready for a full time regular season. Maybe all 3 make the roster. Too many maybes to be firm, no? Silly narrative to declare anything.
This is my biggest worry but I don't think they have a choice. They almost have to give these kids a shot sink or swim, particularly Lysell and Poitras

They have all their resources in these prospects making an impact. If they can't produce in middle six roles they are going to sink (or maybe barely stay afloat)

Any roster you put together without them is not a playoff forward group IMO

And a TDL acquisition might barely just make it average

Reactions: Blowfish

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
This is my biggest worry but I don't think they have a choice. They almost have to give these kids a shot sink or swim, particularly Lysell and Poitras

They have all their resources in these prospects making an impact. If they can't produce in middle six roles they are going to sink (or maybe barely stay afloat)

Any roster you put together without them is not a playoff forward group IMO

And a TDL acquisition might barely just make it average
Yet somehow they keep staying afloat with middling prospects in the pool. So I think they stay afloat regardless and if one or two break through to be above average contributors, with health and goaltending, they’re a contender.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
I think he's a winger too. I actually think he might be a good on his off side. He's got that shot that makes it easy for one-timers.

I think it's Poitras positions to lose at center and Lysell's position to lose at RW but Merkulov could steal either one with a good camp

Frederic, Geekie, Zacha positional flexibility certainly means that RW spot could turn into a LW spot if Merkulov forces it.

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Yet somehow they keep staying afloat with middling prospects in the pool. So I think they stay afloat regardless and if one or two break through to be above average contributors, with health and goaltending, they’re a contender.
They've been staying afloat with a poor prospect pool but it can only last so long. This roster without a prospect breaking through is below average and really only an injury away from being in big trouble

Zacha Lindholm Pastrnak
Marchand Coyle Geekie
Jones Frederic Brazeau
Beecher Lettieri Kastelic

Bruins have been fortunate through all these years that they haven't felt the affects of not developing a top six forward but it's been 7 years since they developed one (Debrusk)

Having confidence in a team to continue that trend is not good

Now I believe Poitras is a hit and I think Lysell is a talent himself so I think (and hope) it changes this year but the only point I'm trying to make is the Bruins don't really have much of an option but to play them because the alternative is a roster with multiple guys playing above their heads

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
I keep forgetting that Wyatt Johnston was picked 2 picks after Fabian. Nightmare fuel, lol.

Stars scouts are just nasty
Pandemic pick

He barely played

Weird shit that draft ~ Ottawa didn’t help

DKH

Worst Poster/Awful Takes
Feb 27, 2002
Non-Bruins fan, just asking about Lysell. In doing some research on Lysell, I see a lot of perspectives that he will be a bust to him still being a talented prospect with a bright future. Even though he has had two solid AHL seasons, some feedback is that he is a soft Swede who can't handle the NHL, which is why he went back home to Sweden this offseason. He definitely has talent and with Debrusk gone, seems like he has a great chance to grab a top 6 spot this year. What are everyone's thoughts on Lysell's NHL future?
my daughter or someone showed me pictures of him I believe at a wedding and other parts of Europe vacationing.

In the United States it’s not uncommon for people especially younger to develop strong relationships with parents and siblings and visit when they can. It’s likely he weighed heavily being called soft by Bruins fans vs seeing family and went and saw them and caught a few weddings and caught up with his childhood friends

Hockey is my third sport, however, I do have a Providence Bruins package 4 rows up on the blue line they shoot twice. Lack of hockey knowledge aside I do focus on Lysell & Merkulov,

He’s a playmaking winger who is quick with separation who goes to the danger heavily congested areas

He needs and looks like he has developed more awareness for his surroundings and avoiding cutting across the ice in the offensive zone; as well as waiting for and using linemates better

He’s an outstanding passer and he plays low often when doing this

If i inherited all his talent today I would look to make plays with the puck using my quickness and anticipation/ without it finding soft ice and getting in areas to receive

I would focus on North - South more until I got below the dots then create

The Guy id not soft my concern is he’s not big and prone to getting crushed - a deadly combination of they look for him with cheap unnecessary hits or worse he puts himself in bad spots

If he can make better decisions putting himself in good position and have a creative mindset “I’m a great playmaker and will find my teammates” he’s going to be really good

He had 2:1 assists to goals ratio in AHL

Don’t try to be an individual hero

I am very high on him

I hope they put him with Marchand & Coyle to start ejo will make sure he’s going to play the right way and go north /south

If Lysell is very good ~ Bruins are in spectacular shape

Their top 2RW will be Pasta & Lysell that’s special

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Fabian Lysell has logged zero games in the NHL.
Given the 21-year-old winger’s lack of reps at hockey’s highest level, it might be odd for one of Boston’s top prospects to shoulder such high expectations for the upcoming 2024-25 season.
But be it Lysell’s own tantalizing high-end talent or the top-six vacancy currently present in the forward corps, the Swedish product is staring at a golden opportunity to make his mark with the Bruins.
Based on comments from the top brass, the Bruins are planning on giving him every chance to seize a spot up front.
“Just pin your ears back, train your [butt] off this summer, and come with the intent that there’ll be an opportunity here,” general manager Don Sweeney said of Boston’s next crop of young skaters like Lysell and Georgii Merkulov. “If you’re the best player, then we’ll find a way to get you in the lineup. You have to sustain it as you’re going along. … Those guys should have clear intentions to come and find an opportunity to beat somebody out because it’ll be there.”

Of course, cracking the lineup over the last few years is easier said than done.

Even during this upcoming training camp, promising bottom-six candidates like Riley Duran and Trevor Kuntar are staring at an uphill climb when it comes to fighting for minutes with Trent Frederic, Morgan Geekie, Matthew Poitras, Johnny Beecher, Max Jones, Mark Kastelic, and Justin Brazeau.

But further up the lineup, the opportunity is there for Lysell to carve out a spot in a featured, top-six role.

Even though Boston landed two of the top free agents on the market in Elias Lindholm and Nikita Zadorov, Jake DeBrusk inking a seven-year contract with the Canucks on July 1 left a significant vacancy on the wing.

While the Bruins weren’t going to realistically be in the mix for a star talent like Steven Stamkos after signing both Lindholm and Zadorov, the decision to not add another potential scoring winger on a more affordable deal like Anthony Duclair ($3.5 million AAV with Islanders) or Daniel Spring ($975,000 with Vancouver) was an interesting move, given the need for more scoring punch up front.

As far as possible top-six candidates, the Bruins could opt for an internal promotion with an established NHLer like Geekie or Frederic.

But Lysell could make life a whole lot easier for Boston if he takes a major step forward this fall, giving the Bruins a skilled talent (on a cheap deal) who can inject some offense up top and keep Geekie and Frederic further down the lineup.

Such a scenario would involve Lysell actually making the jump up to the NHL ranks.

Based on Sweeney’s comments before the 2024 NHL Draft, it appears Lysell was on track to get his first taste of NHL action last season before getting sidelined with a concussion in March.

Even though Sweeney acknowledged that Lysell wasn’t “100 percent comfortable” upon returning to play with Providence during the Calder Cup Playoffs, the winger still managed to put together a strong season in the AHL. He recorded 15 goals and 50 points over 56 games.

“We were really excited about where he was tracking and had he continued along that path and stayed healthy, he would have gotten an opportunity up top like a lot of other guys did,” Sweeney said of Lysell. “Because he had played that well.

TJBennettt37

Aug 3, 2024
I think the bust label gets thrown around way too often. Some players just take time to develop. Heck look at Alexis Lafreniere. Guys turned into a very effective player and same with Byfield.

Lysell has shown flashes of his offensive game in Providence. He’s quick. Has a good shot. There’s things he needs to work on obviously like with most players but it’s hard to label bust. I do think though if he doesn’t make the team and seize that second line right wing spot, then there is cause for concern.

Evan Marinovsky said it best on the 2PadStack podcast, you gotta graduate at some point to the big league level

Guelph Bruin

Sponsor
Mar 2, 2015
I'm all for Fabian earning a spot from camp but if a PTO or another AHLer beats him so be it then Fabian gets another year in the AHL ..no big deal ...it's about giving the big club the best chance to win next year..we're not bottom feeders so the kid has to earn his spot outright

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
I'm all for Fabian earning a spot from camp but if a PTO or another AHLer beats him so be it then Fabian gets another year in the AHL ..no big deal ...it's about giving the big club the best chance to win next year..we're not bottom feeders so the kid has to earn his spot outright
Well put, I hope the kid gets a fair shot, but it should go to the player that earns it in camp. I know EARN ! is a dirty word Rutger McGoarty world.

Reactions: Guelph Bruin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad