OOT Scoreboard 2023-24 playoffs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
If he weren’t such a lousy goalie in his two playoffs in his career it wouldn’t be such a shocker. He’s a decent regular season goalie.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him screw them again though. I was waiting for it again in this series.

Oilers made ten shots in the final game. TEN! its not the Skinner guy who can pull them away from the Cup.

Guadana

Mar 7, 2012
St Petersburg
And of course let's go, Florida.
President, final and now second final in a row. Barkov is the perfect hockey player and Bob had a long career and long way to win it. Great Forsling saga. Tkachuk who was named as complimentary player for Johnny Gaudreaunee but magically become better and more impactful player(he was better player from the beginning). Florida is better team with better game and structure.

But hockey isn't about better teams its about who will score more. And Oilers have great players to score and outplay by PP. So I wish and hope Florida will win but im not so sure.

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
I don't have much of a preference here on who wins. Don't care about a Canadian team winning it and never understood the bring the cup back to Canada stuff either. I'm sure there's plenty of Canadians, mainly Canucks and Flames fans, that are rooting hardcore for Florida, which makes the cup to Canada stuff make no sense. The worst is that the media and companies try to prop that nonsense up. Look at this commercial for instance:

Never in a million years would opposing Canadian teams fans be cheering together.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
Dallas having extra days, did not benefit them. As I said before their younger players, played better than the vets. Robertson had a couple big games but if you takes those out he was pretty tame.

Hockey Gods, Please, let these finals end quickly.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Man the NHL cannot be happy about this final. I'd expect something like NYR/BOS and Chicago in the finals next year to make up for it.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Dallas having extra days, did not benefit them. As I said before their younger players, played better than the vets. Robertson had a couple big games but if you takes those out he was pretty tame.

Hockey Gods, Please, let these finals end quickly.

I don't think the extra days hurt them. They lost game 1 but won the next two to be up in the series 2-1 and had a 2-0 lead early in game 4 and should have been coming home for game 5 up 3-1 before they choked that game away.

Last edited:

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Man the NHL cannot be happy about this final. I'd expect something like NYR/BOS and Chicago in the finals next year to make up for it.

That's their fault, they have the two best players in the world and one of the best teams of the past year in the Cup Final. The fact they can't market it is a self issue, it's the same thing as a Chiefs/Niners SB.

Triumph

Oct 2, 2007
That's their fault, they have the two best players in the world and one of the best teams of the past year in the Cup Final. The fact they can't market it is a self issue, it's the same thing as a Chiefs/Niners SB.

I think you're both saying the same thing but the real problem is there's not that many casual hockey fans. That said, does this have more juice casually than a lot of other finals because of McDavid's presence, yes. It's still going to have bad TV ratings in the US because even if a few more casual fans tune in, they can't make up for the missing American market where this series would be one of the most-watched things on TV for those two weeks.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

The NHL is an absolute clown show, that is true. They develop these guys to have 0 personality and repress the couple guys that do come into the league with a personality. Ovechkin should have been allowed to be himself and have been marketed like crazy. Instead we get boring ass Sid over and over.

Reactions: ZachaFlockaFlame

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
I think you're both saying the same thing but the real problem is there's not that many casual hockey fans. That said, does this have more juice casually than a lot of other finals because of McDavid's presence, yes. It's still going to have bad TV ratings in the US because even if a few more casual fans tune in, they can't make up for the missing American market where this series would be one of the most-watched things on TV for those two weeks.

Ya, for sure. The missing US markets could easily be marketed towards if you were able to showcase McDavid. You could replay the McDavid goal last night on repeat in a hype promo and people would watch. He's the greatest player our sport has seen, it's comical that they can't market him or the league properly.

The NHL is an absolute clown show, that is true. They develop these guys to have 0 personality and repress the couple guys that do come into the league with a personality. Ovechkin should have been allowed to be himself and have been marketed like crazy. Instead we get boring ass Sid over and over.

100%

Geez cheapest tickets for game 1 in Florida are $400+ on StubHub.

Should be looked at as a good thing, people shouldn't have to sell a kidney to watch the pinnacle of our sport.

New Jersey Devils

Doc & Chico Forever
Jun 20, 2007
NJ-NYC
It's actually insane how consistent PDB's record has been of making it to the conference finals (outside of FLA) with every team he's coached, only to be let go 1-2 seasons later.

• Wow
Reactions: Dialamo

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
f***ing stars

Oh well, rooting for the oilers and mcdavid right now. Really tired of the “but can he win?!?!?” narrative, and the best player in decades probably deserves a Cup at some point.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
Have they failed to market McDavid?

He has zero personality and he hasn’t won shit in the post-season before, in a sport is niche as shit.

He’s never gotten a chance to win an Olympic gold medal either. (That is partly the NHL’s doing but whatever.)

McDavid needs a massive performance while winning the Stanley Cup to go with the individual awards here.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Have they failed to market McDavid?

He has zero personality and he hasn’t won shit in the post-season before, in a sport is niche as shit.

He’s never gotten a chance to win an Olympic gold medal either. (That is partly the NHL’s doing but whatever.)

McDavid needs a massive performance while winning the Stanley Cup to go with the individual awards here.

Some of this is definitely on the players, I'm not arguing that. But when these guys have to give PR answers from the age of 14-15 to get ready to become NHL pros, you're going to get very boring personalities. The league's inability to market its stars is a massive issue regardless

MasterofGrond

No, I'm not serious.
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2009
Rochester, NY
Players are boring in large part BECAUSE of the NHL. It's not a league with a dynamic and interesting marketing strategy. It has long suppressed interesting and fun personalities in favor of a stoic, good 'ol hardworking Canadian boy archetype, and anybody who deviates from that gets hammered twice as hard during any adversity.

That's overcome-able if there's any positive push from the league on that stuff, but the NHL, in an effort to broaden appeal went very sanitized during the late 90s and early aughts and never really recovered. If there's a criticism of Bettman as a commissioner, it's that he hasn't pushed back on the old guard enough to make the leagues outreach more dynamic. Look at how the NBA has evolved, and it's the fastest growing league of the big 4 because of it.

Every kid growing up playing hockey knows all of this, because it's been the case for decades, so they all regulate their behavior accordingly from a surprisingly early age if they're in the NHL pipeline. Yeah maybe the players aren't naturally electric on the mic, but that doesn't mean they can't be fun and marketable, just means the league needs to do more work to make them shine.

League should get Jack out there and actually let the boy cook in interviews. Get some friendly reporters out there to lob some quip-able softballs, etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad