Series Discussion: OOT Playoff series Thread (West: Ducks/Preds, East: Pens/Sens)

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Lol here we go with the narrative that with better goaltending the Flames would somehow hang with the Ducks. They are on another level and if anything, oiler and preds were able to expose Gibson/theodore/bieksa, something the Flames simply werent able to do. And Ducks still find ways to win whereas Flames folded every single time.

Flames folded with Bennett's phantom goalie interference call? and Nate Thompson's high stick goal, right?

The Flames should have won that series. They carried the play 5 on 5. Gibson was great, then Elliot would let on a softie. And their special teams were better.

Reffing/Gibson & Elliott were the difference in that series. If the Flames had a goalie like Talbot, we win that series, easily.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Flames folded with Bennett's phantom goalie interference call? and Nate Thompson's high stick goal, right?

The Flames should have won that series. They carried the play 5 on 5. Gibson was great, then Elliot would let on a softie. And their special teams were better.

Reffing/Gibson & Elliott were the difference in that series. If the Flames had a goalie like Talbot, we win that series, easily.

It honestly floors me that people think that, even after watching Ducks go against EDM/NASH. Not a single Flame created havoc in front of Gibson like Draisaitl's or Forsberg's lines. Not even close. Gibson lets in plenty of softies, the Ducks claw back. The Flames never did. We never pressured their young defense as hard as EDM/NASH, yet we carried the play? Please. Soft dump ins and perimeter shots.

If Ducks had a goalie like Talbot, we don't even score 2 even strength goals...

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
It honestly floors me that people think that, even after watching Ducks go against EDM/NASH. Not a single Flame created havoc in front of Gibson like Draisaitl's or Forsberg's lines. Not even close. Gibson lets in plenty of softies, the Ducks claw back. The Flames never did. We never pressured their young defense as hard as EDM/NASH, yet we carried the play? Please. Soft dump ins and perimeter shots.

And if we have a goalie like Talbot we win games 3 and 4 handily and go 50/50 on games 1 and 2 :laugh:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

:laugh:

You're trying too hard, man.

The Flames never pressured their defense, yet somehow completely ran over them in the first 40 minutes of game 3.

The Flames 'folded' while losing every game by one goal (ignoring that one ENG).

:facepalm:

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I like how Kevin Bieksa has been playing for so long in this league and he STILL *****es to the refs when he pushes players into his own goalie. It's practically a meme at this point.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That sends the wrong message to the Pens players. Fully expect the Sens to win this one too
Does it though? Fleury had been on a roll, but ultimately Murray is now their starter long-term and Fleury is their backup on his way out. Fleury also has a history of melting down when things get tough for him, so there is that too. I think this has been the plan the whole time, ride Fleury while he's hot, but once he shows signs of breaking, go back to the starter.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Does it though? Fleury had been on a roll, but ultimately Murray is now their starter long-term and Fleury is their backup on his way out. Fleury also has a history of melting down when things get tough for him, so there is that too. I think this has been the plan the whole time, ride Fleury while he's hot, but once he shows signs of breaking, go back to the starter.

I really don't understand where this narrative of Fleury being shaky now has come from this postseason. Nothing in that 5-1 debacle was Fleury's fault except for maybe the fourth goal. He also backstopped them to a shutout in game 2 and kept them in game 1 before Maatta the pylon gave Ryan a breakway. This is a convenient excuse which absolves players like Crosby and Malkin of all blame in the series. Let's not forget Fleury's the main reason the Pens even survived the Caps too.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I really don't understand where this narrative of Fleury being shaky now has come from this postseason. Nothing in that 5-1 debacle was Fleury's fault except for maybe the fourth goal. He also backstopped them to a shutout in game 2 and kept them in game 1 before Maatta the pylon gave Ryan a breakway. This is a convenient excuse which absolves players like Crosby and Malkin of all blame in the series. Let's not forget Fleury's the main reason the Pens even survived the Caps too.
I said "showing signs" that could be something small, but let's be honest Fleury has a history of high highs and low lows. Murray is their guy going forward, it should be a shock to nobody that they are going back to their #1 now that he is healthy and there is an opportunity.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I'm all for rough and tumble playoff hockey and truculence and all that jazz. But sticks being used as weapons **** has gotten out of hand. Spearing, slashing, has gotten completely out of hand.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm all for rough and tumble playoff hockey and truculence and all that jazz. But sticks being used as weapons **** has gotten out of hand. Spearing, slashing, has gotten completely out of hand.
Eh, this is nothing compared to guys like Messier, in today's game he would have ended up suspended for life with his signature spears to the stomach/balls

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Meh so I was wrong. Still think it's a dick move to the goalie that got you there, but that's hockey. And lucky for them, they have two starters in their pipeline. Bright side for us, it probably lowers the asking price for him if we pursue him

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
They're trying to win the Cup, they're repairing the dam before it bursts.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Kind of a shame, I wanted to see Fleury win a cup to match Murray - a "yeah whatever kid, I've still got it" thing. Not that I dislike Murray, I just think it'd be cool, especially if Fleury were to head out this off-season.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Whoever wins the west will to too hobbled to pose much of a threat against the Penguins, assuming they win the east.

Rakell, Gibson, Johansen, all out now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad