One Trick Pony players. Amazing at one thing.

Zenos

Oct 4, 2009
For a guy with over 900 NHL GP, Kris "Cowboy" Russel was a pretty meh defenceman. But man could he block a shot. He was some combination of fearless / tough as nails / just plain dumb.

Reactions: DaveG and mattihp

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Bollig had a legit wrister. And was in a class by himself throwing thunderous body checks missing the opposing player and rattling the boards with the best of them.

His shot was heavy, but it took him roughly 30 seconds to get it off, rendering it useless in actual practice.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Phil Kessel can be a good playmaker at times, but his snap/wrist shot is really his his one trick. I'd love to see the percentage of his career goals that were scored that way.
Since they began recording it in 2009-10 up until his final season, he scored 310 of his 347 goals with a snap shot or wrist shot (89.3%). No other in the top 100 of total wrist shot or snap shot goals had more than 85%, so it's definitely notable:

1723498361794.png

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Stamkos deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as any and all all-time players when it comes to one timers. Otherwise he is quite the prize pony. He is alright and good at other stuff but my God is he freaking elite the big blast

He was a pretty good skater before the injury IIRC.

Also, 64 assists in a season, how bad of a passer could he be?

Matt Cooke was an elite douechbag

Possibly even generational in that regard, but he wasn't a bad player.

Reactions: DaveG

ReggiesLemons

Jul 4, 2013
Jonathan Cheechoo was pretty good at shooting/scoring whilst playing along side Big Joe. He was awful otherwise and had a pretty quick shelf life.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
It’s a weird one, but I was impressed at how Chris Neil could clear the zone without icing the puck. Just a high loft that also didn’t leave the ice surface.

Seems dumb but when you see other guys accidentally ice the puck you appreciate it.

Michael Grabner and breakaways? He had a ton of them, unfortunately his conversion rate was probably 10%....

Connor Brown was this with Ottawa as well.

It got to the point where we didn’t get out of our seats once we realized who it was.

Still, I liked him with Ottawa - good work ethic and underrated playmaker.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
For a guy with over 900 NHL GP, Kris "Cowboy" Russel was a pretty meh defenceman. But man could he block a shot. He was some combination of fearless / tough as nails / just plain dumb.
Based on what I could find, he had a total of 2,044 blocked shots in his career and had career earnings of about $32,600,000.

That means he was paid $15,950 per blocked shot. Doesn't sound dumb to me. Sounds like a smart but underskilled player who found a way to make his paper imo.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $472.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Andorra vs Malta
    Andorra vs Malta
    Wagers: 3