OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Aversion to almost any fat. I don't use it. I do use Olive Oil which is heart friendlier. Never use butter or margarine in anything.

I hate butter. Mom would throw it on eveything and she was of the school of frying anything, even pancakes in left over bacon fat. yuck. heh

I think she drenched the BS in bacon fat and fried it. I retch thinking of it.
I understand but it was the key thing that made sprouts one of my favourite treats as a kid. Somehow I have never had anyone who could duplicated the taste from my mom. My wife does not like the smell even though she likes cabbage. So I seldom have them anymore.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
i know what I would do with a free gravy boat.

festive-pizza.jpeg

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
I'm just old enough to remember smoking/non-smoking sections. I can't possibly envision sitting down for dinner and hacking a dart with your meal, even if you're a smoker.

Bars? Sure, but restaurants? I've been to plenty of dinners with seasoned smokers, and I don't know if any of them even go for a smoke break during a standard issue 1.5/2hr dinner. I don't think any of them would light up around a dinner table even if the option were available to begin with.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
1728679677174.png

I'm just old enough to remember smoking/non-smoking sections. I can't possibly envision sitting down for dinner and hacking a dart with your meal, even if you're a smoker.

Bars? Sure, but restaurants? I've been to plenty of dinners with seasoned smokers, and I don't know if any of them even go for a smoke break during a standard issue 1.5/2hr dinner. I don't think any of them would light up around a dinner table even if the option were available to begin with.
Lucky you didn't grow up in the seventies in a world of chain smokers. Yes they would smoke during appetizer, desert, dinner, and smoke continuously. My chain smoker parents did too while trying to enforce sit at the table dinners.

DavidHasselhoffsFist

Seen some dark places, but always pop back out!
May 9, 2010
View attachment 915310

Lucky you didn't grow up in the seventies in a world of chain smokers. Yes they would smoke during appetizer, desert, dinner, and smoke continuously. My chain smoker parents did too while trying to enforce sit at the table dinners.
I remember sitting at the Legion as a kid with my old man in a haze coming home smelling like popcorn and cigarettes. It’s amazing I haven’t been diagnosed with lung cancer.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I remember sitting at the Legion as a kid with my old man in a haze coming home smelling like popcorn and cigarettes. It’s amazing I haven’t been diagnosed with lung cancer.
Every doctor I've ever had swears up and down that I must've been a smoker. No, my parents smoked me.

The old Edmonton Gardens you coudn't breathe in there with all the smoke. Every adult in the place chain smoking.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008
Every doctor I've ever had swears up and down that I must've been a smoker. No, my parents smoked me.

The old Edmonton Gardens you coudn't breathe in there with all the smoke. Every adult in the place chain smoking.

My Dad tells me stories of sitting in the stands at the Gardens as a teenager hacking darts and taking sips from his cool Uncle's flask. From what I understand nobody seemed to care whatsoever if you brought a pick me up into the game with you.

I'd love to be able to go in a time machine back to those days for a game. I'm not a smoker, but I would love to sit there with a cigar and pull from a flask all game for the experience.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
My Dad tells me stories of sitting in the stands at the Gardens as a teenager hacking darts and taking sips from his cool Uncle's flask. From what I understand nobody seemed to care whatsoever if you brought a pick me up into the game with you.

I'd love to be able to go in a time machine back to those days for a game. I'm not a smoker, but I would love to sit there with a cigar and pull from a flask all game for the experience.
I started my season tickets with the Eskimos when I was around 16, at old Clarke Stadium, and the couple in front of us brought a briefcase to every game, specifically designed to hold a bunch of booze, glasses, etc. By the end of the game they were so shitfaced they could barely get down the stairs. You couldn't walk 10 steps without kicking a mickey bottle or two. Different times. ;)

Reactions: timekeep

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
I started my season tickets with the Eskimos when I was around 16, at old Clarke Stadium, and the couple in front of us brought a briefcase to every game, specifically designed to hold a bunch of booze, glasses, etc. By the end of the game they were so shitfaced they could barely get down the stairs. You couldn't walk 10 steps without kicking a mickey bottle or two. Different times. ;)
I remember when I first moved out here and one of my cousins' husbands took me to football games. He brought a little cooler with food and drinks. Remember doing this at Bomber games too.

It would be neat to go back in time and go to a game in the 70s or 80s. No phones, no metal detectors, cardboard tickets, cheap food.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad