OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

To this day I still don’t have a clear concept of how far a meter is and how much weight a kilogram really is. Still convert to feet and pounds. Imperial system was too ingrained in me when the change was made.
I do too. Even weather I tend to flip between the two systems. I guess because I spend so much time stateside i find it easy to manoeuvre between both. I was in late grade school/or maybe just into middle school when the change occurred.

Our largest trading partner and one of the world’s largest economies runs on the Imperial but ya, let’s change to what France and Poland are using. Nothing against those countries, but what a bad decision for a North American country when the USA had declared it wasn’t changing, rather only initiating a voluntary transition (of which the government and most of its agencies refused to participate in).

Dimensional lumber all still in imperial, tire sizes, TV screens, all the same go figure. I bought a half of beef this spring from the farm gate and the butcher did all his invoicing based on pounds. I’m glad my vehicle can switch on the fly to mph when I hit the border. :)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Japanese Disney, but didn't become shit.

IMG_5786.jpeg

Maybe they aren’t woke enough for new age Disney?

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
What is a Studio Ghibli?
Basically what @Mr Kot said. One thing I would add is that Studio Ghibli movies do contain content more suitable for teenagers and adults. The themes they explore are also typically a lot deeper than a typical Disney film. A number of the gifs I like to use on this board contain human Ghibli characters which are typically drawn in a very distinctive art style hehe. This link is a list of all their movies:
Not sure how keen you are about anime and fantasy but if you prefer more grounded stories, there's definitely a few of those in the Ghibli catalog. The Wind Rises and Grave of the Fireflies take place in Japan during World War 2 so you'd probably like those. ;)

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
That’s the old Tegler Building…long gone…directly south of city centre mall.
I had heard of the Tegler building but had no idea what or where it was. It was interesting reading up on it now.

I had noticed a few years ago that that site was a vacant lot now. That surprised me. I was a bicycle courier for a year or so starting in 1986. I had been in every office building downtown hundreds of times. Back in 1986 the BMO building that was on that site was brand new and probably the most secure building downtown outside of maybe the Terrace Building on the Leg grounds. You couldn’t walk 25 feet in that building without somebody needing to unlock a hallway door or buzz you in. Not unusual today but none of the other buildings downtown were like that then. To see it gone less than 40 years later was odd to me.

Reading the history of that beautiful Tegler building, seeing it declared a historical site in 1981 and then to have council rescind that decision and demolish the building a year later, just to build that BMO building that itself is already gone is a real shame.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
I do too. Even weather I tend to flip between the two systems. I guess because I spend so much time stateside i find it easy to manoeuvre between both. I was in late grade school/or maybe just into middle school when the change occurred.

Our largest trading partner and one of the world’s largest economies runs on the Imperial but ya, let’s change to what France and Poland are using. Nothing against those countries, but what a bad decision for a North American country when the USA had declared it wasn’t changing, rather only initiating a voluntary transition (of which the government and most of its agencies refused to participate in).

Dimensional lumber all still in imperial, tire sizes, TV screens, all the same go figure. I bought a half of beef this spring from the farm gate and the butcher did all his invoicing based on pounds. I’m glad my vehicle can switch on the fly to mph when I hit the border. :)
Those of us that are around our mid fifties or a little older now were fortunate enough to have learned both in school. I remember them starting to implement the metric systems in schools in 1977. I was in third grade. We were taught the imperial system up until the last month of that school year. That’s when metric was introduced. When I started grade 4 in September of that year everything was taught in metric and the Imperial system was never referenced again. Luckily for me I had a strong enough background in Imperial that it was never an issue converting between the two. The only scale that tripped me up and still does is temperature. That conversion formula is a little trickier.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Those of us that are around our mid fifties or a little older now were fortunate enough to have learned both in school. I remember them starting to implement the metric systems in schools in 1977. I was in third grade. We were taught the imperial system up until the last month of that school year. That’s when metric was introduced. When I started grade 4 in September of that year everything was taught in metric and the Imperial system was never referenced again. Luckily for me I had a strong enough background in Imperial that it was never an issue converting between the two. The only scale that tripped me up and still does is temperature. That conversion formula is a little trickier.
-40C= -40F
28C= 82F

Otherwise Google conversion. :)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
She crushed that song at the 2010 Vancity Olympics. 14 years later I can still hear her and get goosebumps.

I saw her in the Lloydminster Civic Center when she was a no one from Consort.
The first time I saw her and the Reclines was in the 80's at Dinwoodie lounge on the U of A campus. Fantastic concert and few knew who she was. I last saw her in Kitchener with her sitting on a stool no more that 10 feet from us. She sang Hallelujah and the whole place went silent. It was one of the two or three best live performances I have ever seen.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
The first time I saw her and the Reclines was in the 80's at Dinwoodie lounge on the U of A campus. Fantastic concert and few knew who she was. I last saw her in Kitchener with her sitting on a stool no more that 10 feet from us. She sang Hallelujah and the whole place went silent. It was one of the two or three best live performances I have ever seen.
I was out of University and already working but spent a lot of time in Edmonton, but wow Dinwoodie had some great shows. I remember seeing the Cowboy Junkies there with Margo Timmons and her voice…wowza.

• Love
Reactions: Drivesaitl

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
I had heard of the Tegler building but had no idea what or where it was. It was interesting reading up on it now.

I had noticed a few years ago that that site was a vacant lot now. That surprised me. I was a bicycle courier for a year or so starting in 1986. I had been in every office building downtown hundreds of times. Back in 1986 the BMO building that was on that site was brand new and probably the most secure building downtown outside of maybe the Terrace Building on the Leg grounds. You couldn’t walk 25 feet in that building without somebody needing to unlock a hallway door or buzz you in. Not unusual today but none of the other buildings downtown were like that then. To see it gone less than 40 years later was odd to me.

Reading the history of that beautiful Tegler building, seeing it declared a historical site in 1981 and then to have council rescind that decision and demolish the building a year later, just to build that BMO building that itself is already gone is a real shame.
You’re absolutely right on all counts. The BofM convinced the city to allow it to knock down the Tegler (despite the designation) as a move toward “downtown development “. Yet another chapter in this city’s shoddy history of dealing with historic sites. I weep.
The security was definitely above average in the BofM building and, being relatively young, there seemed little reason to knock it down as well. Now, that the LRT runs right outside it, the location would seem improved. Some things go over my little head.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
If I remember correctly, didn’t KD wear a wedding dress and cowboy boots at that performance? Her concerts were unreal!

Reactions: brentashton

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You’re absolutely right on all counts. The BofM convinced the city to allow it to knock down the Tegler (despite the designation) as a move toward “downtown development “. Yet another chapter in this city’s shoddy history of dealing with historic sites. I weep.
The security was definitely above average in the BofM building and, being relatively young, there seemed little reason to knock it down as well. Now, that the LRT runs right outside it, the location would seem improved. Some things go over my little head.
Take a walk down that street and tell me again how much that location has improved from the 80’s.;)

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I was out of University and already working but spent a lot of time in Edmonton, but wow Dinwoodie had some great shows. I remember seeing the Cowboy Junkies there with Margo Timmons and her voice…wowza.

Kiss played their first ever concert outside NYC at the Dinwoodie.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Dinwoodie indeed did have some great shows through the years. But such a hovel, and undeserving of the shows. Plus they've had so many that should be anywhere bigger. Even the Jubilee across the street.

That Dinwoodie even had so many illustrious shows is testament to how bad promoters are and how little they do to negotiate better venues. This continuing to present day.

Heres a listing even for the alltime shows Dinwoodie have had. I had a chance to catch Tragically Hip there when they broke into some high dough. They weren't huge yet but definitely happening and they had Much Music rotation.

Radiohead played there in 96. They could play stadiums now. I was pissed off at that being the venue. It was of course sold out, and they could've sold several X the amount. Was the only time they ever played Edmonton. They already had a considerable market in Canada. The venue really wasn't on par with how big they were, or became.

My exact thoughts at the time was it was nuts. That Radiohead would be huge and we'd probably never have a chance to see them here again. Sure enough by the end of the tour they played Arenas and even a stadium show. On the same tour.

Oddly Greenday played there touring their best record. I hate them anyway. Tool played there . Way too good for Dinwoodie.

Don Mclean played there. Blue Rodeo, David Wilcox, Kim Mitchell, too many to remember.

Dinwoodie itself has nothing to it. Only the shows that played there, that should've been somewhere bigger.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Kiss played their first ever concert outside NYC at the Dinwoodie.
One of those bits of serendipity as KISS were sent out to the wilds of Western Canada to see if they could survive. ;)

They did Uof A first then Uof C day later and then Manitoba campus. KISS made 500 bucks for these 3 shows. Ceiling at Dinwoodie so low the KISS sign had to be placed on floor. Some early venues were so small they didn't bring the sign in.

Strutter, Firehouse, Coldgin, Black Diamond, Nothin to Lose, Acrobat were songs they were playing. Interestingly the Dinwoodie show preceded the Album release on February 18 so nobody in the crowd would've heard anything from them except those that already knew Wicked Lester and Acrobat.

People didn't know what to make of the band at the time. No I wasn't at the show.;) Maybe my Bro was as he was playing Kiss record soon after. Wait. Only 46 people attended the Edmonton show. What a gongshow from organizers.

The Calgary show at SAIT gym was sold out. They were not allowed to advertise as per the deal with KISS promoters who wanted these to be low profile dress rehearsals as such. But they got some kind of word out and filled the gym and including a young photog who took some of the best first pictures of KISS.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario

The Tegler was where Zeller's downtown store was. I loved going there as a young kid because they had some arcade games right inside the doors that I use to play for a nickel I believe.

Reactions: oilers'72

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad