OT: One More Off Topic Off Season Thread

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
Did this restaurant ever exist in Edmonton? I literally have no memory of this place ever existing View attachment 900047
I wanted to go there as a kid, but my parents never took me. I was quite young.
Then the building (south side) was empty for a bit until a place called Ginger Beef Peking House opened up iirc…tasty Szechuan food.

I also remember Taco Bell opening up.
I got my first car a couple years later and remember my friends and I heading for 69 cent soft tacos.
Get to the drive thru window on a late Friday and order “20 soft tacos please”.

“20 TACO’S!?!” they’d reply

IMG_5144.gif

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Did this restaurant ever exist in Edmonton? I literally have no memory of this place ever existing View attachment 900047
Saskatoon, 22nd street I think it was. Every Saturday afternoon in 1982-1985 as a Uni student. Free nachos and salsa and the margaritas were probably Cuervo Gold, but we didn’t really care. To those pissing on boomers, you wish you will grow old to remember your good time memories.

Valhallis

Aug 2, 2005
Then the building (south side) was empty for a bit until a place called Ginger Beef Peking House opened up iirc…tasty Szechuan food.

I got my first car a couple years later and remember my friends and I heading for 69 cent soft tacos.

View attachment 900052
You'd need a second mortgage now to afford that many!

Chi-Chi's was great if I recall. Only went a couple times as a kid.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

View attachment 900052
I had street tacos last night in Phoenix. 4 bucks USD a piece. No sides.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Hey so on my laptop, I got kicked off my account about a month ago, and each time I try to log back in on it, a message pops up saying

"Security error occurred. please press back, refresh page, and try again"

Has something changed with the site?

Am I only allowed to be logged in with one device now??
Not my experience. I use multiple devices.

Maybe your a bad boy being punished

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

View attachment 900052
Never went to the Chi-Chi's and don't remember it ever being there. Did go to the Ginger Beef place quite a few times and they had a decent menu but also a better than normal Chinese buffet.

On the topic of Mexican food Habaneros in Leduc is the best I've had. Nice place as well. Worth checking out.

The prices aren't stupid expensive either like some other fancy Mexican places. Mexican street type food should be cheap. Its the whole point. 20 bucks here fills you up AND its an enjoyable dining space.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

Edmonton wins the gold in road construction sites where no construction actually occurs.
I like to call it "pop-up construction". Nothing going on, or they had spent the last 2 years working on it and completely moved on so you think it's finally done, and then all of a sudden, bam! Road blocks all over the area, with not apparent construction going on for 2 weeks until finally, they start jackhammering all that new pavement and concrete they laid down the year before.

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010
Never went to the Chi-Chi's and don't remember it ever being there. Did go to the Ginger Beef place quite a few times and they had a decent menu but also a better than normal Chinese buffet.

On the topic of Mexican food Habaneros in Leduc is the best I've had. Nice place as well. Worth checking out.

The prices aren't stupid expensive either like some other fancy Mexican places. Mexican street type food should be cheap. Its the whole point. 20 bucks here fills you up AND its an enjoyable dining space.
I remember Chi Chi's but it wasn't a high quality Mexican place, but good for cheap food and drink.

Habaneros is very good, I should go more often.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
To other Teams’ fans who says that Edmonton attracts scumbag players. Another example of the caring, thoughtful players in that dressing room.

Heavyweights have Stecher's back
PATRICK JOHNSTON [email protected] @risingaction

The Province
Aug 11, 2024

TV hockey analyst Bieksa, Lululemon get behind hockey camp with a social conscience

The first year of Troy Stecher's pre-season pro camp was as successful as the Richmond NHLer hoped it would be.

The second edition, beginning later this month, he and co-organizer Derek Popke hope, will be even a bigger success.

The first sign it was going to be a bigger deal was the addition of two big backers: former Canucks defenceman Kevin Bieksa and the Canadian Men's Health Foundation.

Bieksa, now a popular Sportsnet analyst and a “national champion” for the Canadian Men's Health Foundation, posted to social media on Thursday about his support for Stecher's camp.

This year's camp, scheduled for Aug. 26-29 at Richmond's Minoru Arenas, is once again raising funds on behalf of Stecher's TS51 Foundation.

“Helping run a pro skate where NHL players can get ready for their season, along with raising money for two great causes. Feel free to come watch or donate to the charities,” Bieksa posted on X.

Bieksa and Stecher are old friends, Popke explains, going back nearly a decade to when Popke first started organizing pre-season skates for local pros. Bieksa's son Cole would participate in Popke's Vancouver Hockey School summer camps and dad Kevin would thus be around to skate with former Canucks teammates such as Alex Edler and younger locals like Stecher.

After the success of last year's event, Bieksa approached Stecher and Popke to find out how he could support their work. In year one, Stecher's TS51 Foundation directed all proceeds to Diabetes Canada. This year, the beneficiary is the CMHF, at Bieksa's suggestion.

Diabetes Canada is a partner of the CMHF. Raising funds for diabetes research is a cause close to Stecher's heart, as his father Peter died four years ago due to complications from diabetes.

“The Canadian Men's Health Foundation deals with men's health in general, mental health, chronic illness. It's inclusive of causes like diabetes,” Popke said.

The CMHF's Kenton Boston said they were delighted to jump aboard and back Stecher's cause.

“We consider ourselves the leading spot in the country when it comes to men's health. And the message, it's not just about men, it's men and the impact on their families. Our role is to educate men and to advocate on behalf of men and their families,” he said.

He added that he and his colleagues recognize the importance of engaging with everyone — men, wives, daughters, son, friends, parents — about men's health issues because no one exists in isolation.

The big thing is to encourage questions.

“It's OK to have questions, to ask about things you may not be comfortable talking with your friends about,” he added.

And the CMHF has many partners, from government to other health foundations and beyond. The CMHF sits at an important axis, he believes.

"(Other agencies) come to us because we do have connections,” he said. “Through people like Kevin, they can reach out and start a dialogue. Approachable, that's who we are as an organization.”

All four days of last year's event were well-attended, especially by kids, something that pleased Stecher to no end.

“It's even better than I had hoped,” he said at the conclusion of last year's event, a smile beaming across his face as he signed autographs for kids and caught up with some familiar faces from the city where he grew up.

That ability to get close with the community was a big driving point for Stecher and Popke's planning.

“It's a community event, for kids to come and meet players and watch how they train,” Popke said.

The event's success also drew the interest of another new sponsor: Lululemon.

“They saw the positive community impact we had last year with youth hockey players watching the camp and wanted to support it,” Popke said.

Popke once again is donating his time. Last year, Yard Athletics personnel donated their time to lead the camp's off-ice training.

The players loved the experience. “Throughout the summer, there are groups of NHL players who do smallgroup skill training around the city, and this provides an opportunity to gather more players who are around into a competitive camp-style atmosphere,” Popke said.

A full roster hasn't been confirmed yet. Popke and Stecher are actively rounding out the roster.

Just hours after Bieksa's post on Thursday, Popke said he was already dealing with a surge of inquiries from players in the Vancouver area who were looking to participate. Last year's roster numbered about 20.

Committed returning local players already include goalie Laurent Brossoit, defenceman Kyle Burroughs and forwards Brendan Gallagher and Sam Reinhart.
I did not like Bieksa as a player but have a lot of time for him now. He's articulate and seems to have a very community-minded attitude.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
I did something kinda crazy this year. In January one day I randomly decided to watch Snow White. Then I thought to myself that it might be a fun idea to watch every theatrical release from Walt Disney Animation in order of their release date and rank them all into tiers from favorite to least favorite. Here's how that looked like:

10 👑
1) Mulan
2) Aladdin
3) The Lion King
4) Beauty and the Beast
5) The Little Mermaid
6) Hercules
7) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

9🌠
8) The Emperor's New Groove
9) The Princess and the Frog
10) Moana
11) Lilo & Stitch
12) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7-8🌟
13) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (8)
14) Atlantis: The Lost Empire (8)
15) The Jungle Book (8)
16) Wreck It Ralph (8)
17) The Great Mouse Detective (8)
18) Tangled (8)
19) Zootopia (8)
20) Peter Pan (7)
21) Tarzan (7)
22) Encanto (7)
23) Fantasia 2000 (7)
24) Winnie the Pooh (7)
25) Meet the Robinsons (7)
26) Robin Hood (7)
27) Sleeping Beauty (7)
28) Frozen (7)
29) Cinderella (7)

5-6⭐
30) Pinocchio (6)
31) 101 Dalmations (6)
32) Oliver and Company (6)
33) The Rescuers (6)
34) Frozen II (6)
35) Alice In Wonderland (6)
36) Treasure Planet (5)
37) Ralph Breaks the Internet (5)
38) The Fox and the Hound (5)
39) Lady and the Tramp (5)
40) The Three Caballeros (5)
41) Bambi (5)
42) Fantasia (5)
43) Home on the Range (5)
44) Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (5)

3-4✨
45) Dumbo (4)
46) Big Hero 6 (4)
47) Bolt (4)
48) Chicken Little (4)
49) Brother Bear (4)
50) Dinosaur (4)
51) Melody Time (4)
52) Make Mine Music (3)
53) Saludos Amigos (3)
54) The Sword In the Stone (3)
55) The Aristocrats (3)
56) Pocahontas (3)
57) The Rescuers Down Under (3)
58) Fun and Fancy Free (3)

1-2🗑️
59) Raya and the Last Dragon (2)
60) Wish (2)
61) The Black Cauldron (2)
62) Strange World (1)

I finished the last movie last week btw. Not surprisingly, most of the worst ones were from the last few years and the best were Disney renaissance era movies. It took a while to go through everything but it was a lot of fun.
That explains the bright streak of light in the sky I spotted while going to work this morning at about 4:45 am. Turns out I wasn't going crazy.

Last edited:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I did something kinda crazy this year. In January one day I randomly decided to watch Snow White. Then I thought to myself that it might be a fun idea to watch every theatrical release from Walt Disney Animation in order of their release date and rank them all into tiers from favorite to least favorite. Here's how that looked like:

10 👑
1) Mulan
2) Aladdin
3) The Lion King
4) Beauty and the Beast
5) The Little Mermaid
6) Hercules
7) Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs

9🌠
8) The Emperor's New Groove
9) The Princess and the Frog
10) Moana
11) Lilo & Stitch
12) The Hunchback of Notre Dame

7-8🌟
13) The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh (8)
14) Atlantis: The Lost Empire (8)
15) The Jungle Book (8)
16) Wreck It Ralph (8)
17) The Great Mouse Detective (8)
18) Tangled (8)
19) Zootopia (8)
20) Peter Pan (7)
21) Tarzan (7)
22) Encanto (7)
23) Fantasia 2000 (7)
24) Winnie the Pooh (7)
25) Meet the Robinsons (7)
26) Robin Hood (7)
27) Sleeping Beauty (7)
28) Frozen (7)
29) Cinderella (7)

5-6⭐
30) Pinocchio (6)
31) 101 Dalmations (6)
32) Oliver and Company (6)
33) The Rescuers (6)
34) Frozen II (6)
35) Alice In Wonderland (6)
36) Treasure Planet (5)
37) Ralph Breaks the Internet (5)
38) The Fox and the Hound (5)
39) Lady and the Tramp (5)
40) The Three Caballeros (5)
41) Bambi (5)
42) Fantasia (5)
43) Home on the Range (5)
44) Adventures of Ichabod & Mr. Toad (5)

3-4✨
45) Dumbo (4)
46) Big Hero 6 (4)
47) Bolt (4)
48) Chicken Little (4)
49) Brother Bear (4)
50) Dinosaur (4)
51) Melody Time (4)
52) Make Mine Music (3)
53) Saludos Amigos (3)
54) The Sword In the Stone (3)
55) The Aristocrats (3)
56) Pocahontas (3)
57) The Rescuers Down Under (3)
58) Fun and Fancy Free (3)

1-2🗑️
59) Raya and the Last Dragon (2)
60) Wish (2)
61) The Black Cauldron (2)
62) Strange World (1)

I finished the last movie last week btw. Not surprisingly, most of the worst ones were from the last few years and the best were Disney renaissance era movies. It took a while to go through everything but it was a lot of fun.

That explains the bright streak of light in the sky I spotted while going to work this morning at about 4:45 am. Turns out I wasn't going crazy.

You giving Bambi and Fantasia a 5 is a criminal offence.

94 Oil Drops

SKINNER(S!)
Sep 19, 2019
Alberta
You giving Bambi and Fantasia a 5 is a criminal offence.
I thought they were ok. There's definitely some great scenes (the forest fire in Bambi and the ending sequence of Fantasia were great) but other parts of both those movies almost put me to sleep. I hadn't watched either one of them since I was like 10 and was expecting them to go a lot higher of the list tbh. Still, I can see why they were so amazing for their time and why lots of people like them. Hard to believe both Bambi and Fantasia were released in the early 40s.

Oh I've also started watching and ranking all the Studio Ghibli films.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Ad

Upcoming events

• Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Latvia vs Faroe Islands
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $225.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Albania vs Georgia
    Albania vs Georgia