OT: Olympics

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
Seems I am the only one watching rugby quaterfinals, US against australia just coming up.
I was talking it up in the OT thread yesterday.

Brutal performance by the US that was never going to overcome an even more brutal performance by the French referee.

Oh well, we got spared another ass kicking by Fiji in the semis.

Kind of a bummer that such a marquee event is mostly over before the Opening Ceremonies.

Reactions: Weltschmerz

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Well we bowed out in the quarters already. We don't usually have too many events where we have a shot at gold but I guess that counts us out of the 7s already for the men.

Reactions: HOOats

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
The Argentina soccer match was a epic dumpster fire, pitch invasion by Arg fans after the tieing goal, Ref sends teams to locker rooms for 2 hours, in that time VAR reverses the tieing goal. lol

The Canada women's soccer coach was just sent home, then fired for her staff using a drone to spy on the New Zealand team training.

Apparently the athlete oath of integrity doesn't mean anything anymore

Athletes cannot find the appropriate food they need.

The Volleyball courts at the base of the Eiffel Tower look pretty cool.

Would you swim in the Seine ? Jury's out. The opening ceremony on the river should be interesting tomorrow. When we visited Paris and took the boat tour there were hookers on the banks there. :D

It's like most everything in the day of s/m it will devour itself.

Last edited:
Reactions: HOOats

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
USA Women's Soccer 4-1 winners over Germany and off to the Quarterfinals with a match still to play, so they can rest players now if they so choose. The Men's team plays Guinea Tuesday with a shot to advance as well after beating Australia 4-1.

---

Beep Beep Ilona Maher...

Last edited:
Reactions: Dubi Doo

HOOats

born Ruffian
Nov 19, 2007
City of Buffalo
There's a US men's team?

🤔
Can't hack the disrespect. Our men's team is very solid and has made huge strides in the past decades. World soccer is full of dysfunctional periods for nations and we just happen to be going through one right now. We've beaten Mexico what, seven times in a row??

There's plenty of shit to talk about the USWNT, but I'll take the high road for now.

Last edited:

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
While I disagree with the cheating, the fact that anything to do with Canada and soccer being a good thing is f***ing weird to me.

It wasn’t even a high school sport when I attended.
Women's Team Canada is reigning Olympic Gold Champions, and since you were in school there has been Christine Sinclair, one the greatest to ever play the game, just sayin'

The spying thing is shockingly stupid and needless. They were issued a 6 pt penalty by the Olympics as well as coaches being suspended and fired.

The U.S. Men still need a result Tuesday to advance to the quarters I believe. The Men's is a U23 team event with three overage players allowed. The Women's is all ages.

The full U.S. Senior Men's team is still awaiting a new manager hire after firing Greg Berhalter.

Japan's late comeback win over Brazil today was fun as well.

Last edited:

KiwiGriff

It’s a Bloody Business Bates!
Dec 29, 2019
Porirua
Can't hack the disrespect. Our men's team is very solid and has made huge strides in the past decades. World soccer is full of dysfunctional periods for nations and we just happen to be going through one right now. We've beaten Mexico what, seven times in a row??

There's plenty of shit to talk about the USWNT, but I'll take the high road for now.
I don't follow football. I was just trolling to get a rise out of someone :)

BFLO

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2015
I'm super pumped for Track to start soon.

The story lines I'm looking forward to the most:

Will Noah Lyles pull off the 100/200 double? No real danger of a world record going down in either event. Seems like a foregone conclusion that he'll win the 200, but the 100 is wide open.

Will Sha'Carri win the 100m?

Womens 400mh SML versus Femke Bol. The WR is almost certainly going down, the question is by how much?

Mens 400mh Warholm vs Benjamin vs DosSantos. Will they break the wr? Will Warholm lose his crown?

Mens 800m. Sedjati, Wanyonyi and Tual are now the 3rd, 4th and 5th fastest 800m runners ever. The first time anyone has been under 1:42 since Rudisha and Amos a decade ago. WR is under threat. For USA, Hoping Bryce Hoppel can squeak out a medal and that Hobbs Kessler can make the finals.

Mens 1500m. Has Ingebrigtsen learned from his mistakes in the previous 2 world championships or will he have to settle for silver again? The field is so deep here that I don't think this is going to be a slow and tactical race like a normal Olympic final. I think Inge takes it out hard and tries to win with a WR. I think it's going to be the fastest Olympic 1500m ever. Sub 3:29 to medal. There's 15 guys under 3:32 this season. Of guys who aren't favorites to compete for a medal I'm Hoping Hobbs Kessler and Ollie Hoare can make the finals and run well. Hoping for Medals for Nuguse and Hocker.

Mens 5000m/10000m. I hope Grant Fisher can sneak a medal or 2. And that Nico Young and Morgan McDonald have good races.

Reactions: HOOats and Jacob582

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

1722346065768.png

Reactions: Jim Bob

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad