Who is the 11th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the 11th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Who is the 11th best player during the 21st century sof ar inspired by the ESPN top 25 this Century

Top 10 so far in the voting results are

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane
9. Mackinnon
10. Pronger

Also pick a player to add to the next poll please either from this ESPN list or nominate one.

18. Marc-Andre Fleury

25. Jonathan Quick

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Gotta start making the homer-case for Duncan Kieth here. A true #1D is, if not tied with the 1C, the most rare and impactful position on a team. Kieth personified that through and through. Now that Pronger is off the board, it's a tight contest between these remaining Dmen.

Compared to his peers the way this guy impacted the game with his skill set was bar none. I think it's fair to say that he was the best skater and had the best stickwork among all of these remaining Dmen. He had seasons of being elite offensively and won 2 Norris trophies.

In 2010 he won a: Gold Medal, Norris, and the Cup. He arguably could've won the Smythe that year, or any of the three Cup years for Chicago. In the playoffs is where he really shined. The games mattered the most and he excelled at it averaging 28 minutes of TOI. His 2015 Smythe run is, in my opinion, without question the best playoff campaign by a defenseman of the post-cap era.

I won't hold it against anyone wanting Chara/Doughty/Hedman over Kieth as these guys are all similarly elite enough but personally from what I saw watching him over a 10 year stretch this guy was capable of doing anything and everything at a HoF level. I'm sure Karlsson will get voted in first, which will be a mistake.

Coffees

blackhawk down
Nov 12, 2021
Massachusetts
Gotta start making the homer-case for Duncan Kieth here. A true #1D is, if not tied with the 1C, the most rare and impactful position on a team. Kieth personified that through and through. Now that Pronger is off the board, it's a tight contest between these remaining Dmen.

Compared to his peers the way this guy impacted the game with his skill set was bar none. I think it's fair to say that he was the best skater and had the best stickwork among all of these remaining Dmen. He had seasons of being elite offensively and won 2 Norris trophies.

In 2010 he won a: Gold Medal, Norris, and the Cup. He arguably could've won the Smythe that year, or any of the three Cup years for Chicago. In the playoffs is where he really shined. The games mattered the most and he excelled at it averaging 28 minutes of TOI. His 2015 Smythe run is, in my opinion, without question the best playoff campaign by a defenseman of the post-cap era.

I won't hold it against anyone wanting Chara/Doughty/Hedman over Kieth as these guys are all similarly elite enough but personally from what I saw watching him over a 10 year stretch this guy was capable of doing anything and everything at a HoF level. I'm sure Karlsson will get voted in first, which will be a mistake.
That’s not a homer case, im a Canucks fan and I agree

• Love
Reactions: x Tame Impala

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lots of guys here are worthy of my vote from the offensive exploits of thornton to the extended prime 2 way play of Kopitar among the best forward options right now and perhaps a slight nod to Draisatl who has a killer playoff resume and actually stacks up quite well against Kuch and Mack IMO.

On the back end there are 5 guys who have claims to the next spot and roughly in order for me I have them Doughty/Hedman, Keith, Chara, EK65.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
At this point so many players are worthy. I think other players may have better resumes on paper but I would take Carey Price. Elevated terrible teams and was terrific in the playoffs. Just a great goalie.

Reactions: Bouboumaster

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
At this point so many players are worthy. I think other players may have better resumes on paper but I would take Carey Price. Elevated terrible teams and was terrific in the playoffs. Just a great goalie.
Sure in terms of peak play but we have some guys here with excellent levels of play for MUCH longer don't you think?

Henrik Lundqvist is one such player and I think one can argue that Vasi probably has a better consecutive prime than Price as well here.

Reactions: norrisnick

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I feel as though the top 9 is very easy to tell apart. But at this point there's so many players close, and I don't have a very good grasp on how they rank vs one another.

I voted EK. But all of Hedman, Price, Lundqvist, Chara, Draisaitl, Thornton and a few others are close.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Sure in terms of peak play but we have some guys here with excellent levels of play for MUCH longer don't you think?

Henrik Lundqvist is one such player and I think one can argue that Vasi probably has a better consecutive prime than Price as well here.
Lundqvist was healthier. I have no problem with someone who takes him. But I think Price was a better goalie. His puckhandling was as good as any goalies who’s ever played.

Vasi played on the strongest teams in the league. It’s really difficult to know how good he was. He had protection that Price could only dream of, nevermind the offensive support.

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
I'll take Oilers legend, Duncan Keith here.

1725812960760.png

Reactions: x Tame Impala

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Lundqvist was healthier. I have no problem with someone who takes him. But I think Price was a better goalie. His puckhandling was as good as any goalies who’s ever played.

Vasi played on the strongest teams in the league. It’s really difficult to know how good he was. He had protection that Price could only dream of, nevermind the offensive support.
Fair enough and I honestly don't know enough about goalies to rank them but even if Price looks like the better guy it's hard to take him over other guys who look very similar and played longer.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Fair enough and I honestly don't know enough about goalies to rank them but even if Price looks like the better guy it's hard to take him over other guys who look very similar and played longer.
I have zero problem with people taking those other players. They’re all terrific. As I said in my original post, I don’t think Price has the resume of some others by virtue of the fact that he played on brutal teams and had health issues.

But if i were to be given an opportunity today to draft any of these guys as an 18 year old without injury, I would take Carey Price. He won playoff series the club had no business winning.

He was technically perfect, incredible puckhandling, played his best in the postseason and has several upsets to his credit. He was a hell of a player. I think he was a better goalie than Patrick Roy was. No he doesn’t have Roy’s resume but he also never had Roy’s teams.

All that being said, any of those players are worthy. I won’t sweat it if Price falls down the list. But to me, I’d take Price. He elevated clubs far beyond where they should be.

Miro4Norris

Jan 24, 2021

I'm just impressed that you manage to mispronounce his name so many times after all the impact he had on Hawks for so many years.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
24ish hours left in voting will post next poll tomorrow night and I'll sometime before then too, have literally 3 or 4 guys in mind.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010

Price has the better peak season, but peak seasons among goalies appear to be more common than a lengthy sustained high quality of play - which Lundqvist achieved to a degree that is as good or better than anyone else in this century.

Lundqvist was also a beast in the playoffs.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price has the better peak season, but peak seasons among goalies appear to be more common than a lengthy sustained high quality of play - which Lundqvist achieved to a degree that is as good or better than anyone else in this century.

Lundqvist was also a beast in the playoffs.
Yep, Lundqvist was great. As we’re all those guys up there.

Again though, I’d take Carey Price. Technically a perfect goalie and incredible puck handling. When it comes to the playoffs a strong goalie can take you a long long way. Bad teams and injuries limited what he could do but he still managed to drag that club to a final and have several playoff upsets.

As I said though, other players have better resumes as they managed to stay healthy and most were on far better clubs.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Who is the 11th best player during the 21st century sof ar inspired by the ESPN top 25 this Century

Top 10 so far in the voting results are

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur
7. Kucherov
8. Kane
9. Mackinnon
10. Pronger

Also pick a player to add to the next poll please either from this ESPN list or nominate one.

18. Marc-Andre Fleury

25. Jonathan Quick

There should be about a 100 players selected before him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad