Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
I really liked how he was running that power play for team Finland. Looked like and aged vet out there. :handclap:

Maatta along with Vatanen completely outshined our veteran defenders Timonen and Sami Salo, which I didn't expect at all to happen. I mean 'almost always broken Salo' maybe, but Timonen too, which I find crazy.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Maatta along with Vatanen completely outshined our veteran defenders Timonen and Sami Salo, which I didn't expect at all to happen. I mean 'almost always broken Salo' maybe, but Timonen too, which I find crazy.

True true, I might have focused a bit too much on Maatta to notice how he was doing compared to other Finnish dmen, but I can't imagine many of them outproducing him. Was very impressed with how he played, and I won't lie, I cheered when he scored on us in the bronze medal game LOL

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
thisismaattakick_zpsbb5167cc.jpg

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Was very impressed with how he played, and I won't lie, I cheered when he scored on us in the bronze medal game LOL

Well was a 5-0 goal and USA had given up at that point. Felt like USA stopped playing after 2-0, because of the fact it was a bronze game. Before that it felt like USA played as hard as Finland.

Anyways, if he scored the 1-0 or 2-0 would you have cheered then :)?

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Unlike most years I haven't heard anything about the Calder favorites. Maatta has to be near the top if not leading the pack with MacKinnon in Colorado.

DoobeeDoobeeDoo

The Doobster
Jul 3, 2013
Well was a 5-0 goal and USA had given up at that point. Felt like USA stopped playing after 2-0, because of the fact it was a bronze game. Before that it felt like USA played as hard as Finland.

Anyways, if he scored the 1-0 or 2-0 would you have cheered then :)?

I would've cheered for him regardless but probably not as much if the score were 1-0 or 2-0 instead of 5-0.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Unlike most years I haven't heard anything about the Calder favorites. Maatta has to be near the top if not leading the pack with MacKinnon in Colorado.

There was a stretch in which the Pens were missing some very key guys to the blueline and Olli stepped up in a huge, huge way. That has to go along way with the Calder voters.

While Nate is a damn solid player in Colorado, the guy is playing with the likes of Stastny and Landeskog, not exactly chumps by any means, it definitely helps that's for sure.

I wonder if it will be all about points or not. If that's the case, Olli loses.

Of course, my bias is to see the kid that has done so much this season, win it.

Bronze medal, makes the NHL team unexpectedly, is having a fine rookie campaign statistically and is playing like a guy that was expected to be on the team when that wasn't the case before Camp started.

Also, he plays against some pretty tough competition.

Stecz

Jul 28, 2010
If Jonas Brodin didn't even get a nomination playing 23 quality minutes alongside Ryan Suter in Minnesota, I doubt Maatta gets a nomination either. Maatta scores more, but plays easier minutes.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Määttä plays for a far more seen team than Brodin did (and has more than doubled Brodin's offensive output in 13 more games)...but this is also an incredibly deep year for rookies, and every updated Calder list seems to have had little change from early in the season for whatever reason (it took until late January until some people were willing to bump Hertl off that #1 spot...I know Hertl had an absurd start to his career with 6 goals in his first 3 games...but he only had 9 in the 33 that followed before getting hurt). His Olympics showing may get him some extra attention, but I'd still be shocked if he's a finalist, no matter how deserving he is. There's no way he wins it, not in a year where a #1 draft pick is having a good season for a vastly improved team.

Last edited:

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I know this is the Maatta thread, but shouldn't it be Despres that's kicking Orpik out of the line up in that picture? ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad