Olli Määttä

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He definitely has plenty of untapped offensive potential. He does a good job of getting his shots through to the net, and is pretty good at dishing the puck as well. It helps that he seems to have that calm demeanor.

He reminds me a lot of young Nicklas Lidström... instant impact when he arrived. Never looked back. Just so intelligent all the time. Not great at anything, but plays best.

Michael8771*

He reminds me a lot of young Nicklas Lidström... instant impact when he arrived. Never looked back. Just so intelligent all the time. Not great at anything, but plays best.
Yeah, I've heard Lidstrom comparisons a couple times. That's a pretty accomplished guy to be compared with. He's certainly off to a tremendous start but I don't know if I'd put too much pressure on the kid. Let's see where he is in a couple years.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China

Olli has made his share of egregious mistakes. On balance he has been fantastic compared to everything we could have expected of a teenage rookie, but it is somewhat weird for a person who has been greatly satisfied with what Despres and Bortuzzo have done when played these last two seasons, that their mistakes are damning and Maatta's are apparently merely learning opportunities (as they should be when they are as infrequent as they are).

Either way, lets not compare with Lidstrom. Not just because Lidstrom (far far from not being great at any one thing) was great at virtually everything, but also because Maatta is just starting out as a senior whereas Lidstrom arrived at Detroit as more of a developed player, playing his first game at 21 after seeing a couple of years of Elitserien action.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
Yeah...I don't think he's a Lidstrom type player. Lidstrom has better puck skills but I think they have a few things that are similar...most notably their consistency.

Maatta's always reminded me of a bigger Kimmo Timmonen or on a great day Ryan Suter or Larry Murphy. Those are guys that were incredibly steady top pairing guys who weren't overly physical. It's about positioning and moving the puck forward either with a good first pass or skating it out of the zone. What I love most about Maatta is his composure and I think that's the biggest reason he's having success at such a young age. Guy is unflappable...isn't afraid to make a mistake and is able to shake off the ones he does make.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I've always felt like his upside, body type and playing style are strikingly similar to Kim Johnsson in his Philly heyday in the early 2000s.

IHWR

The Chiropractor
Jul 25, 2006
Ottawa, ON
I've always felt like his upside, body type and playing style are strikingly similar to Kim Johnsson in his Philly heyday in the early 2000s.

Yeah that's another good one too. Big, steady and not overly physical but always in position.

I'm a big fan of player projections like this by the way and that's why the Lidstrom one looks so silly. No one is going to be the next Nick Lidstrom (either in terms of career success or style of play) but it's pretty likely that someone will be able to replicate how Kim Johnsson played the game.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I'd still like to see him hit more, and I'm very curious as to the direction his offensive game will go. He has shown the ability to at least be a Paul Martin offensively, IMO, but some of the stuff he did last night with the puck, and has done in a few other games this year, I could see him put up big point totals.

It will be fun to see this guy develop.

Guys, just because someone says he plays like Lidstrom doesn't mean that's what the expectation is for this player. And I do agree that Maatta's game is very similar to Lidstrom's. Larry Murphy is a pretty good comparison, as well; although while I do think Maatta will put up quite a few points, it won't be at the same level (even adjusted to the era he's playing in versus those guys) as those 2 players.

Regarding him being more physical: I really don't think it's a concern. I can't wait for Harrington to get up here and people to see how similar these two guys are in the defensive zone. Jaromir Jagr said that Lidstrom was the toughest defenseman to beat one on one and the best Dman he's ever played against, and Lidstrom is far from a physical player. Like Maatta, his defensive game is based on great positioning & awareness, great gap, a great stick, and great shot blocking ability (not to mention a mental calmness and consistency). Sure, he may get a tad more narly as he gets a little older & stronger, but it will never be a big part of his game, and nor does it have to be. He's got enough of an all-around skill set that he'll be a great and very impactful regardless.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Olli has made his share of egregious mistakes. On balance he has been fantastic compared to everything we could have expected of a teenage rookie, but it is somewhat weird for a person who has been greatly satisfied with what Despres and Bortuzzo have done when played these last two seasons, that their mistakes are damning and Maatta's are apparently merely learning opportunities (as they should be when they are as infrequent as they are).

Either way, lets not compare with Lidstrom. Not just because Lidstrom (far far from not being great at any one thing) was great at virtually everything, but also because Maatta is just starting out as a senior whereas Lidstrom arrived at Detroit as more of a developed player, playing his first game at 21 after seeing a couple of years of Elitserien action.

Not that I think it's right to compare Maata to NL (at best, it's getting ahead of ourselves), but Lidstrom did get turned inside out on the same move that keeps embarrassing Maata when he was a rook, more than once.

I think he lost them a playoff series getting danced like that, actually.

specialized

Jan 24, 2013
I remember Tyler Myers getting a lot of praise when he was a rookie,so lets not all get to excited about Maata, yeah he is playing great but lets not call him Lidstrom just yet.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
I don't get the big deal when someone compares his game to Lidstrom. They aren't saying he's going to be the next Nicklas Lidstrom. They are saying his style of game is reminiscent of Lidstrom's and I completely agree. I inferred that a while ago about Maatta.

I'm not saying he's going to be a future multi-Norris trophy winner like Lidstrom. All I'm saying is his style of game reminds me a lot of Lidstrom's due to his positioning, high IQ, and causing problems for guys with his stick on puck.

I'll go out and say it now but the kid probably has the best stick on puck in the league from what I've seen. He would be extremely irritating to play against because he's always swiping the puck off of your stick.

Again, style of play is similar to Lidstrom. Lets not get our panties in a ruffle expecting him to be the next Lidstrom or saying we can't compare him to him.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I for one love the habit he's developing of scoring clutch goals. Don't think he'll ever be a huge point producer but he seems to know when to press the attack and how to make it count.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I for one love the habit he's developing of scoring clutch goals. Don't think he'll ever be a huge point producer but he seems to know when to press the attack and how to make it count.

He's got ice in his veins for sure.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005

Johnsson works. I don't like the Timonen comparison as much, because I think Maatta isn't going to be the offensive player Timonen was in his prime, but I think he'll be better defensively.

I said after a few games that he reminded me of a young Teppo Numminen. I'm sticking with that comparison.

If we get the player Numminen was in Phoenix for Maatta's prime, then I for one will be very, very happy indeed . . . a 24 minute a night guy who averaged just under a 50 point per season pace.

I think they call that a top pairing defenseman in some circles. :laugh:

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
Johnsson works. I don't like the Timonen comparison as much, because I think Maatta isn't going to be the offensive player Timonen was in his prime, but I think he'll be better defensively.

I said after a few games that he reminded me of a young Teppo Numminen. I'm sticking with that comparison.

If we get the player Numminen was in Phoenix for Maatta's prime, then I for one will be very, very happy indeed . . . a 24 minute a night guy who averaged just under a 50 point per season pace.

I think they call that a top pairing defenseman in some circles. :laugh:

Bylsma calls that a great bottom pairing rookie.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I don't think there's any chance of Maatta coming close to 50 points.

Michael8771*

He's got ice in his veins for sure.
The kid has a lot of poise, well beyond his years. Still, it's early, let's see how he does come playoff time and next season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
It depends on if he can get PP time. Maybe he's not a true PPQB but he does have a bomb shot and a knack for getting it on net.

I think a good comp is Roman Hamrlik. Maybe not during his high end years with TB but more of the well rounded player he became later with the Isles.

Farnham4top6

Despres #1D
Mar 6, 2011
north of you
I think it was til the end of time that mentioned Kenny Jönsson as a comparable and I am starting to agree with it. He probably isn't going to be as good as Kenny in his absolute prime. But he looks like him out-their on the ice and should be a top-paring dman in his prime.

The thing with Lidström comparsions is that I don't see Lidströms ppqp abilities in Määttä.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think it was til the end of time that mentioned Kenny Jönsson as a comparable and I am starting to agree with it. He probably isn't going to be as good as Kenny in his absolute prime. But he looks like him out-their on the ice and should be a top-paring dman in his prime.

The thing with Lidström comparsions is that I don't see Lidströms ppqp abilities in Määttä.
Nobody should compare Maatta to Lidstrom...Lidstrom is one of the best Euro Dmen in the history of the NHL. Maatta wont even be the best Finnish Dman when his career is over. Lidstrom is a generational Dman, like Brodeur is a generational goalie.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada

I disagree. If he's getting 25-ish minutes of ice time/game and getting PP time (which he will, even if Pouliot is here), Maatta will put up 50 points. I would just like to see him play with someone who is more of a stay-at-home type of guy (Harrington or Bortuzzo), rather than a guy like Letang, so Olli can join the rush and jump into the play more often. Those are his strengths, and I'm sure we'll put him in that position to succeed.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I still have no idea what kind of offensive player we're looking at with him. I could go either way with him at this point in time.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah if he gets some 1st unit PP time, then he'll absolutely be able to hit 50 pts here. But, if DP is our PP QB in the near future, I doubt he gets that chance for long. Plus, we almost always roll 4 forwards out there. Which I totally agree with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad