Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He looked dominant today. Aside from his 1G 1A he also controlled tge game definsively. Lots of transition passes out of the zone that didnt lead to points.

If i had to pick a player to compare him to it would Jay Bouwmeester without the elite skating.

That would be fantastic for this franchise if that comes true. JBo was always a Team Canada standout.

Nice to hear. Hope he continues this level of play. Really need him to blow the doors off that league the whole season.

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
Prior to his arrival in Liiga I would have been happy if he put up 0.5 ppg against Pros. Having him approaching ppg territory in the last 5 games is pretty promising.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That he's producing points there right now is excellent news.

That said, the issue with Juolevi was never his skill level - his outlet passing has always been sublime - but rather with his compete level defensively and incredibly soft play and coverage in his own zone. And the concern is that he goes down a David Rundblad-type path.

ihaveyuidonttouchme

MrShiftbyShiftGuy
Feb 21, 2009
Vancouver
www.youtube.com

been a while since ive seen a full game
TPS pretty much dominated against ASSAT. didnt think they had the game in this one. the score couldve been much worse
so it's fairly tough for me to say for this game how he's been as far as play without the puck goes ASSAT didnt really pressured heavily
suffice to say, good game but not an eye opening game

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I'm confused...
The TPS site is stating he's at 4gms, 6pts
Hockey DB is stating 9gms, 6pts

That said, the issue with Juolevi was never his skill level - his outlet passing has always been sublime - but rather with his compete level defensively and incredibly soft play and coverage in his own zone. And the concern is that he goes down a David Rundblad-type path.

There is still quite a bit apprehension and talk about his offense and skill level....
Many people have cited his last season's numbers as reasons for concern in stating their case for stalled progression...

Either way... it's always good to hear the positive reviews.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

That's only partially true. Juolevi has skill, but he does not have the offensive zone IQ to be a true QB in that area. He transitions well, but once in the offensive zone, I would say his ability is rather mediocre.

Agreed on the D zone coverage/intensity.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
That's only partially true. Juolevi has skill, but he does not have the offensive zone IQ to be a true QB in that area. He transitions well, but once in the offensive zone, I would say his ability is rather mediocre.

Yet Juolevi's offensive production was best among Knights' Dmen in the playoffs the past two seasons and on the PP the past two seasons.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Yet Juolevi's offensive production was best among Knights' Dmen in the playoffs the past two seasons and on the PP the past two seasons.

Are you projecting him to be a PPQB in the NHL? Bold. I'll hold you to that.

Playoffs = 14 and 18 game samples. Further, your standard is relative, not absolute. Why?

1st year = Rode a phenomenal 1st line to his totals.

2nd year = Poor offensive output considering expectations.

This is not the track record of an offensive driver. But hey, you must have a better read on him than I do. Let's see what he does...

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

There are 60 different guys every year who are the best offensive defender on their CHL team. This really isn't much of an argument.

Also Victor Mete out-produced Juolevi last year for London, so this isn't even accurate.

Edit : Oh wait, you're ignoring the regular season for some reason. Not sure how Juolevi's 22 points in 32 games in the OHL playoffs really says a great deal, either.

He's a sublime transition defender. We'll see how he goes on the PP.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver

Agreed on the D zone coverage/intensity.

Reminds me of Jeff Brown.

CroatianCanuck

Jul 11, 2008
Vancouver

Playoffs = 14 and 18 game samples. Further, your standard is relative, not absolute. Why?

This is not the track record of an offensive driver. But hey, you must have a better read on him than I do. Let's see what he does...

Remember when lots of people were saying that Tkachuk was only getting so many points because he was on the best top line in the OHL with Marner and Dvorak.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

yr 1: 42 pts. (phenomenal 1st line you said, 51 win team.. 319g)
yr 2: 42 pts. (top line he was apparently riding gone, 46 win team, 287g.. -32goals)

How could you consider that a poor offensive season. What exactly were these expectations that he came up so poorly short of?

Ridiculous hyperbole.

Reactions: Numba9 and unknown

LeftCoast

Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver
There are 60 different guys every year who are the best offensive defender on their CHL team. This really isn't much of an argument.

Also Victor Mete out-produced Juolevi last year for London, so this isn't even accurate.

Edit : Oh wait, you're ignoring the regular season for some reason. Not sure how Juolevi's 22 points in 32 games in the OHL playoffs really says a great deal, either.

He's a sublime transition defender. We'll see how he goes on the PP.

Keep in mind that London also had Mete, Bouchard and Vande Sompel - all good offensive D-men as well on their back end. The mediocre offensive numbers could just be a matter of sharing the love. 8 Pts in 10 games in Liiga for a 19 year old however is pretty impressive. If he sustains this level of production it casts him in a bit different light.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Sounds like he's having some actual improvement. I know I was part of a few people in here trying to lobby for him to go Europe because London wasn't challenging him to develop his offensive game. Personally, I think it's been more encouraging then I would have expected. He's actually doing things in the offensive zone.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Keep in mind that London also had Mete, Bouchard and Vande Sompel - all good offensive D-men as well on their back end. The mediocre offensive numbers could just be a matter of sharing the love. 8 Pts in 10 games in Liiga for a 19 year old however is pretty impressive. If he sustains this level of production it casts him in a bit different light.

This will sound strange, but last year it felt like Juolevi was playing his shift only to go sit back down on the bench. He wasn't really trying hard. The reason he had so little offense #'s is because he didn't try to do much offensively.

Mette outplayed Juolevi last year.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Vancouver, BC
I feel like he essentially lost a year of development going back to junior last year. Should have been in Finland last season but better late than never I guess.

Reactions: MS and WTG

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
yr 1: 42 pts. (phenomenal 1st line you said, 51 win team.. 319g)
yr 2: 42 pts. (top line he was apparently riding gone, 46 win team, 287g.. -32goals)

How could you consider that a poor offensive season. What exactly were these expectations that he came up so poorly short of?

Ridiculous hyperbole.

I feel this is ignored far too much, he went from having 3 100 + point players in the line up in his Draft year where the fourth highest scoring forward had 72 points, to his D+1 where only one player cracked 80 points and the second highest scoring player had 72 points.

unknown

Oct 7, 2006
vancouver
This will sound strange, but last year it felt like Juolevi was playing his shift only to go sit back down on the bench. He wasn't really trying hard. The reason he had so little offense #'s is because he didn't try to do much offensively.

Mette outplayed Juolevi last year.
That is alarming to hear. Any idea what his deployment was like compared to 2015/16 did his zone deployment change? suggesting maybe when considering he is now performing better offensively at a higher level (sample size is small) that he could have been unhappy in London and how the team was utilizing him, or was it from the start of the season?

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
I feel like he essentially lost a year of development going back to junior last year. Should have been in Finland last season but better late than never I guess.

Agreed. But has anyone told you defenseman take longer to develop?

Could definitely see your statement being used/spun as a reason for why we should give Juolevi "more time" if he looks Pouliot-level mediocre in three years though. Just as Jake's season in junior was treated as a "write-off" by many for whatever reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad