Prospect Info: Olli Juolevi, Pt. VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Borgstrom was on absolutely no one's radar at 5, not to mention he probably won't be nearly as good as Keller.

That was a fantastic pick by the Panthers though.

Your right he was on nobodies radar especially at 5 but every pick we miss or pass on should be cause for reflection or you never learn. The panthers did like him enough to take him 23 and clearly did their homework, dont think many publications had him in the 1st round.

We will see, I can see him being as good as keller but while keller will be the top guy for his team, borgstrom will be behind barkov, still I am blown away whenever i watch him. We shall see. Far to early to declare who will or wont be as good.

Last edited:

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Who knows where they had him ranked, he did go undrafted but then had a fantastic ncaa season, everything we typically believe would lead to red flags as a high end 1st round pick, i didnt see any publication having him ranked at 23 either when the panthers took him, either way the only point i was making is he could be one of the best players outside of laine and mathews in that draft imo. I dont think anyone had pastrnak at 5 either but we would in a redraft, we have something to learn when we pass on those type of players that publications dont have ranked in the consensus and when we evaluate these red flags we place on some prospects. I know the panthers were called out by some for this pick to. I just find the entire situation intriguing when reviewing this draft.

I am not criticizing the canucks for this either.

For what its worth borgstrom had another 4 point night tonight, up to 22 points in 11 ncaa games.

Last edited:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015

Had a completely underwhelming junior d1 after being top picked dman in draft.

In his d2, Canucks alumnus coach says he needs to work on his play for sure 'if he wants to be an nhl regular"

If he wants to be an NHL regular?

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Had a completely underwhelming junior d1 after being top picked dman in draft.

In his d2, Canucks alumnus coach says he needs to work on his play for sure 'if he wants to be an nhl regular"

If he wants to be an NHL regular?

No shit sherlock. If he didn't need to improve he would be in the NHL right now.

He's in a perfect environment developing in TPS with Salo in his ear. 9 points in 12 games is good to see after mediocre production in london

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
I remember someone in this thread ranting about Tarmo Reunanen being better than Olli Juolevi b/c he initially had more points. :laugh:

Pavel96

Apr 7, 2015
No **** sherlock. If he didn't need to improve he would be in the NHL right now.

He's in a perfect environment developing in TPS with Salo in his ear. 9 points in 12 games is good to see after mediocre production in london

The way that line is phrased questions if he'll simply even be a nhl regular (5-6 dman). Obviously any player not in the NHL needs to improve - Petterson for example needs to improve his strength etc - but I'm sure his coaches aren't saying things like - "IF he wants to be an NHL regular he'll need to add some strength" It's obvious he has to but it seems pretty likely he will add strength as most men do growing up.

Again wasn't Olli supposed to be a smart, cerebral dman? One with a really good transition game? Those aren't entirely defensive qualities but it just seems kind of shocking that in a d2 season (in Finlands league - what's that like 4-6th rated league?) his defensive acumen is being called into question? To the point where it could hold him back from playing in the NHL as a 5-6 dman? We are not talking about adding a bit of weight here - this is a dmen that needs to get better at playing defense.

No one was questioning Boeser or saying in Horvat's D1 year - if he doesn't improve his skating he won't be a 4th line player.

Sorry I think it would take a detective to see the silver lining in a 5th overall pick in his d2 year being questioned publically by a former alumnus coach if he can even play in NHL going forward if he doesn't get better at the main skill of his position.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
The way that line is phrased questions if he'll simply even be a nhl regular (5-6 dman). Obviously any player not in the NHL needs to improve - Petterson for example needs to improve his strength etc - but I'm sure his coaches aren't saying things like - "IF he wants to be an NHL regular he'll need to add some strength" It's obvious he has to but it seems pretty likely he will add strength as most men do growing up.

Again wasn't Olli supposed to be a smart, cerebral dman? One with a really good transition game? Those aren't entirely defensive qualities but it just seems kind of shocking that in a d2 season (in Finlands league - what's that like 4-6th rated league?) his defensive acumen is being called into question? To the point where it could hold him back from playing in the NHL as a 5-6 dman? We are not talking about adding a bit of weight here - this is a dmen that needs to get better at playing defense.

No one was questioning Boeser or saying in Horvat's D1 year - if he doesn't improve his skating he won't be a 4th line player.

Sorry I think it would take a detective to see the silver lining in a 5th overall pick in his d2 year being questioned publically by a former alumnus coach if he can even play in NHL going forward if he doesn't get better at the main skill of his position.

Don't you think he is? Smart, great vision/playmaking and ability to transition the puck with efficient passes. Be the point man on the PP. These are his strengths.

He needs to be more aggressive in his own zone and not so reliant on his stick. Needs to start using his body more to separate player from puck.

It's up to Juolevi now, he has all the tools to be a 2/3 d-man. He is improving on his weaknesses says, Salo.

He'll be a NhL'er it's a matter of if he'll be a good d-man or a great one.

M2B

Oct 6, 2017
There's no rush, this team isn't contending proper for years. Let the Juolevi's, Gaudette's, Pettersson's, etc. continue to develop so they can step in and be effective from the start just like Boeser.

Juolevi will be fine. Pair him with Tanev, and he'll continue to develop for years. The development curve is very different, player development is a marathon not a sprint.

Not sure what people expect. If he is dominating in all facets of the game in Finland, then he should be playing in the NHL.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
TPS Turku has a game at 8:30 a.m. PST, if anyone's interested. With his recent surge in offensive production I figure some of you might want to tune in

Reactions: Grantham

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
TPS Turku has a game at 8:30 a.m. PST, if anyone's interested. With his recent surge in offensive production I figure some of you might want to tune in

So has he done ANYTHING yet? ??

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
Very solid game defensively. Calm and made nice clean breakout passes. Is still on 2nd unit PP, but clearly looks like the best option for Defenceman for the PP, being set up for the point shot as he's had success with it.

turkulad

Sep 27, 2011
Turku, Finland
Only saw the last period but it was a beautiful thing. I still remember how raw he was once we got in and now he's one of our cornerstones in the back end - and that's one helluva D with Tallinder, Heikkinen, Eronen, Ekeståhl-Johsson and the recently added Mark Fraser.

groov2

Apr 11, 2014
Vancouver
It's nice that he appears to actually be developing again after a stagnant year last year. I have certainly been rooting for him!

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
Well I am very impressed with Juolevi's performance in Finland this year. Would we be able to update the thread subject with stats similar to the Pettersson thread?

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
2afe0b1a67354888904aa55246bac90d.png

So that part is good

topched88

Jan 21, 2007
Not overly focused on the point totals, never see him becoming a typical offensive d man. More concerned with how he’s playing in his own end/moving the puck. He has always seen the ice well, I don’t think that will ever change. One thing that would be good for him to develop is a big slapshot. He is great at using his wrister to get it through but if he has a big shot like salo did it makes the PK play tighter at the point which will open up space for other players (Boeser / petterson).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad